Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leucos
Jul 31, 2012
This will probably sound stupid but is there a way to force a higher fps in a game that has an fps cap using driver settings or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Leucos posted:

This will probably sound stupid but is there a way to force a higher fps in a game that has an fps cap using driver settings or something?

I don't know of something in drivers, usually those kind of games require a hack of the executable itself. And often games with those kind of FPS caps the physics of the games fall apart above a certain FPS threshold.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Leucos posted:

It varies from game to game, some games are not only hard coded with a frame rate but also have certain technical aspects that require that frame rate, such as collision detection.

Some games have a cap for no good earthly reason though, and it's easy to fix. Unreal engine 3 games for example have a bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE setting in a config file that's usually called GameNameEngine.ini that you can change to FALSE to disable the in engine frame rate cap entirely, or you can change MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62 to your intended frame rate cap.

Other than that it's a case by case basis.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

cat doter posted:

Other than that it's a case by case basis.

PCGamingWiki is good for looking up these kind of hacks, they point out what breaks in the process if anything.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Hey guys, thanks for the advice earlier, was a big help. My new (well, used) 980 is humming away in my machine now. Have a question about my old 560ti though: Is it worth setting it up as a dedicated PhysX card, or should I just sell it on for beer money? I would have to spill my PC's wires all over the place to free up the power cables and turn the interior into a mess basically, is it wotth the hassle for a 560ti, or will the improvement in performance be marginable?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I'm loving the AMD fanboys and their insane conspiracy theories over the 300 series cards. Had one claiming that the 390X actually has 3328 SPUs instead of 2816, when someone pointed out the Sapphire 390X specs he said that Sapphire is misreporting specs on purpose because AMD will unveil new drivers that "fully enable" the extra SPUs on the 390X and that AMD wants to keep this as a surprise. :laffo:

EDIT:

Pierson posted:

Hey guys, thanks for the advice earlier, was a big help. My new (well, used) 980 is humming away in my machine now. Have a question about my old 560ti though: Is it worth setting it up as a dedicated PhysX card, or should I just sell it on for beer money? I would have to spill my PC's wires all over the place to free up the power cables and turn the interior into a mess basically, is it wotth the hassle for a 560ti, or will the improvement in performance be marginable?

Sell it, PhysX costs almost nothing on newer geforce cards.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Not worth it in the least. Beer money.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
GPU thread you're my favourite thread.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Seems like the days of crazy physx effects that kill your performance are dead. Physx seems to work just fine even in CPU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7lr7B9k9SA

Arkham City's physx is so goofy but kinda cool. I'm hoping they go nuts with it in Arkham Knight.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://youtube.com/watch?v=zsjmLNZtvxk
Looks pretty cool so far. Dem rain effects :eyepop:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm loving the AMD fanboys and their insane conspiracy theories over the 300 series cards. Had one claiming that the 390X actually has 3328 SPUs instead of 2816, when someone pointed out the Sapphire 390X specs he said that Sapphire is misreporting specs on purpose because AMD will unveil new drivers that "fully enable" the extra SPUs on the 390X and that AMD wants to keep this as a surprise. :laffo:

Making a new chip like that would be an awful use of resources. They've got Fury giving them and their driver team experience with HBM, and other than that, they'd need some pretty big changes to get enough to be worthwhile. If they want to get a reasonably full rolllout next gen when old parts won't be performance competitive, the last thing they want to do is to be wasting designers putting in a ton of work for a small increase. They went for the lowest hanging fruit by launching a new generation to replace the throttling 290s with a hair dryer with ones actually running max clocks, which is a decent boost for benchmarks and requires no designers.

Although apparently you can drop a 290's power cap a lot for a pretty minimal loss in performance. So a few more EUs might have value, but obviously not enough to make a new chip.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

I have a question about the Wither + Batman deal on 900 cards. I bought a Gigabyte 980 a month ago when the deal was in full force, I was told that the codes will arrive via mail.

However, now I'm told the deal was only for e-shop purchases and I bought it in a brick & mortar store. Am I getting shafted?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

West007 posted:

I have a question about the Wither + Batman deal on 900 cards. I bought a Gigabyte 980 a month ago when the deal was in full force, I was told that the codes will arrive via mail.

However, now I'm told the deal was only for e-shop purchases and I bought it in a brick & mortar store. Am I getting shafted?

Yes, you bought a 980 :smug:

But actually seriously, yeah it seems you are.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

West007 posted:

It sounds like you are.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I haven't been following the custom designs closely. I see the 980 Ti Strix is now a tri fan deal, and is going to be a fair bit more expensive than the MSI's 6G. Is the new Strix design completely untested so far - or has it been used before?

Sources
Strix:
http://www.proshop.dk/Grafikkort/ASUS-GeForce-GTX-980-Ti-Strix-6GB-2493268.html

6G:
http://www.proshop.dk/Grafikkort/MSI-GeForce-GTX-980-Ti-GAMING-6GB-2492838.html

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Pierson posted:

cat doter posted:

Seems like the days of crazy physx effects that kill your performance are dead. Physx seems to work just fine even in CPU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7lr7B9k9SA

Arkham City's physx is so goofy but kinda cool. I'm hoping they go nuts with it in Arkham Knight.

High Physx is limited to GPU accelerated. CPU Physx is the low setting. Also, Arkham City's a little older and doesn't have really over the top Physx. Arkham Origin has more GPU exclusive effects. I think Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequal use them a lot too.

This article is a little old but it does several different test of different games and card configurations

http://www.volnapc.com/all-posts/how-much-difference-does-a-dedicated-physx-card-make

Down in the comments, someone did some benchmarks of Arkham orgin with a GTX 980 by it self, with a 750ti and with a 960:

quote:

The game is at 1080p, no VSync, everything else on Max including PhysX, TXAA etc. Using PCI-E 3.0 x8 per card. Framerates are listed as Min, Max, Avg.

GTX 980 OC - 66, 118, 83
GTX 980 OC + 750 Ti Dedicated PhysX - 71, 132, 95
GTX 980 OC + 960 OC Dedicated PhysX - 93, 143, 110

You can see that the dedicated PhysX card makes a pretty big difference, especially if it is a newer card.

I don't know if that makes it "worth it" since GPU physx isn't used in a ton of games.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Next gen Phsyx looks really awesome, I'm looking forward to see it implemented somewhere. I think its still too early though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lowen SoDium posted:

High Physx is limited to GPU accelerated. CPU Physx is the low setting. Also, Arkham City's a little older and doesn't have really over the top Physx. Arkham Origin has more GPU exclusive effects. I think Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequal use them a lot too.

This article is a little old but it does several different test of different games and card configurations

http://www.volnapc.com/all-posts/how-much-difference-does-a-dedicated-physx-card-make

Down in the comments, someone did some benchmarks of Arkham orgin with a GTX 980 by it self, with a 750ti and with a 960:

You can see that the dedicated PhysX card makes a pretty big difference, especially if it is a newer card.

I don't know if that makes it "worth it" since GPU physx isn't used in a ton of games.

Pretty sure it can also be the case though that a really old physx card will end up hobbling a new one- Especially if the gap is as large as a 560 to a 980.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Lowen SoDium posted:

A lot of developers use physx but keep it simple enough for it to run just fine on any hardware, whereas I used the arkham city example since the effects were fairly simple but they just went nuts with particles and stuff, so when it was new it was a huge performance killer but it was kinda neat seeing hundreds of ice shards flying everywhere when the penguin is shooting freeze's gun at you. I can't really think of games apart from borderlands 2 and the arkham games that use physx in a pretty fully featured way, rather than just as a simple physics middleware.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Yeah, it tends to be used for effects and that's about it. Mafia 2 used it fairly extensively for shattered glass and debris (a fantastic effect that made a shot-up warehouse really look shot up) and PAYDAY 2 uses it somewhat, mostly in ragdolls and bag collapsing iirc. The impact of that kind of physx is minimal enough on modern systems that there's no menu option to disable it -- I didn't even have problems on a pair of old dying 5850s.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Gwaihir posted:

Pretty sure it can also be the case though that a really old physx card will end up hobbling a new one- Especially if the gap is as large as a 560 to a 980.

Yeah, and the guy in the article I link even says as much. The Titan paired with a 650 for Physx was slower on average than the Titan by it self was. But the Titan with a second titan doing the Physx work had a really big increase, bigger than having the Titans in SLI.

If Pierson sales his 560ti, he can get between $40 and $90 for it before fees. If it were me, I would probably try it out in Physx mode with the new card to see how it preformed before I made a decision. But then again it depends on what kinds of game he plays

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Holy cow that Gigabyte G1 980ti :eyepop:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Captain Yossarian posted:

I think this is going to be the card I buy, just gotta wait until Newegg stocks it.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Hamburger Test posted:

I haven't been following the custom designs closely. I see the 980 Ti Strix is now a tri fan deal, and is going to be a fair bit more expensive than the MSI's 6G. Is the new Strix design completely untested so far - or has it been used before?

Sources
Strix:
http://www.proshop.dk/Grafikkort/ASUS-GeForce-GTX-980-Ti-Strix-6GB-2493268.html

6G:
http://www.proshop.dk/Grafikkort/MSI-GeForce-GTX-980-Ti-GAMING-6GB-2492838.html

Brand new stuff, but both designs are very well received from all the other cards. Difficult to go wrong. I would guess the edge is towards the MSI

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Captain Yossarian posted:

I want to see what that Zotac with a base clock in the 1300s can do.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Yeah the 980ti is looking like the perfect card for me ... god drat.

Also when OC'd it scored over 20% better in 3d mark. 20% OC ! lol (over reference, but this is one of the few times that is relevant)

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 15, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Yeah the 980ti is looking like the perfect card for me ... god drat.

Also when OC'd it scored over 20% better in 3d mark. 20% OC ! lol

Lol @ titan. If you don't need the titan specific stuff, they hold value like a sieve.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I'm waiting for a Manu. other then Gigabyte because my case won't fit that card, but unless Fury blows my mind I'm guessing a 980ti is in my future at some point.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

xthetenth posted:

Lol @ titan. If you don't need the titan specific stuff, they hold value like a sieve.

Probably true, but that graph must be from before the Kepler driver fix. It's not that bad.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

sauer kraut posted:

Probably true, but that graph must be from before the Kepler driver fix. It's not that bad.

Pretty sure it still loses to 290X, GCN has fared considerably better than Kepler in other modern games like Shadow of Mordor.

Also it isn't Kepler that's got the still new Titan X getting beaten by aftermarket versions of its own crop. Gotta have the sexy blower and reference design though.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 15, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

xthetenth posted:

I mean boutique cards like the Titan are never ever a value proposition, they are for impatient idiots. For that, they are very good!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

KakerMix posted:

I mean boutique cards like the Titan are never ever a value proposition, they are for impatient idiots. For that, they are very good!

Honestly they should come with a huge factory clock and an AIO or a cooler like some cards have with three axial fans and water cooling barbs rather than a pure form over function blower that needs to be replaced to keep up with fancy versions of its crop. At least that way the people with them can say they've got the best card for more than three months. The Ti is the top performance NV card for a lot longer than the Titan.

I hope AMD does it right and has an uber mode switch that clocks the water cooled fury to the high heavens. The built in AIO with a top tier fan looks like they actually care about maximum out of box performance for their halo kit.

Actually my dream boutique card to drool over would come set up with a Swiftech h240x, h220x or just the card with WC connectors for a custom loop.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 15, 2015

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I wouldnt feel bad about owning a Titan this time around, unlike every other one that was ever released. Its more about the 980ti being priced shockingly well than the Titan X being a bad value. Practically speaking of course that makes the 980ti a better choice, but it would still make me feel better :)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I wouldnt feel bad about owning a Titan this time around, unlike every other one that was ever released. Its more about the 980ti being priced shockingly well than the Titan X being a bad value. Practically speaking of course that makes the 980ti a better choice, but it would still make me feel better :)

I wouldn't feel jealous of the Ti, I'd feel jealous of the hybrid, that Zotac with the bananas stock clocks and that sort of card that perform like demons out of the box while I'm stuck buying a backplate and an evga hybrid kit or a watercooling block separately and if I wanted to do it right hunt down a custom bios.

Basically if the Fury's switch turns on an out of the box gotta go fast mode, it's going to be what I want to see out of the Titans (I'd like to see better support for out of the box custom loops because it's the price range where that sort of thing happens, but I don't run a loop so that doesn't matter for my use).

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I really hope someone does a watercooled FuryNotX, which would be my pick. Ugh tomorrow cannot come soon enough.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

I really hope someone does a watercooled FuryNotX, which would be my pick. Ugh tomorrow cannot come soon enough.

Yep. If the Fury X water performs I'll hate myself for wanting it.

If the Fury non-X water performs at a traditional AMD price for a cut down flagship, I'll hate myself if I don't get a good price on my 970.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I think this is going to be the card I buy, just gotta wait until Newegg stocks it.

Ordered on Thursday and mine shipped on Friday. It'll be on the truck tomorrow. I'd get your order in!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

FaustianQ posted:

I have a slight hope my EK universal GPU waterblocks will fit HBM chips with one of their adapters, so I can just plug and play. There's still tons of spare space on the blocks around the current gpu dies, so it should work, but who knows.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Truga posted:

I have a slight hope my EK universal GPU waterblocks will fit HBM chips with one of their adapters, so I can just plug and play. There's still tons of spare space on the blocks around the current gpu dies, so it should work, but who knows.

Added bonus to HBM, no more needing to cool the RAM separately. Waterblock the GPU, waterblock the memory. Might allow for insane memory speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
EVGA have 980ti Hybrid kits available: http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=400-HY-0996-B1

Still waiting for them to restock their goddamn Titan X ones.