Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"We've taken a lot of time to discuss a brand new, not-yet-released FPS in the Early FPS Megathread. Maybe we should talk about Corridor7 or something"
/
:backtowork:

I wanted to post some of my own well-thought, balanced opinions about Doom 4 and how it reflects various changes in FPS design of last 20 years. But then I remembered that on Saturday I bought The Shat's TekWar, so I'll just say that multiplayer looks promising and I hope there will be a full-featured level editor released for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Honestly I'm amused by the idea of the Doom 4 guy chopping into a demon with the chainsaw, it suddenly puttering out, and then hurrying off to try to find some gas for the half cut demon.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I hope that Bungie makes Marathon 4, with brutal executions and all the terminals are replaced with audio logs where Durandal is voiced by Nolan North.

Vitreous Rumor
Oct 21, 2004

Doom 4 is a sure sign that video gaming as we know it is a dead artform. It looks like its a game about shooting things and opening doors. Thats not what Doom is. That's a mockery of the legacy Doom has left behind. Doom was never about guns, monsters, running, grunting, or even the suspicious face with the shifty eyes. No. Doom was about carefully picking things up off the floor, like a single parent with twin five year olds. It was a thinking mans game. It was barely even about shooting, monsters, or hell. It was about carefully managing things on the floor. You'd run around a level, notice a thing, then pick the thing up. If you saw four shotgun shells sitting by a lamp you would remember them and go back when you needed 4 shotgun shells. Whenever you saw a squiggly green line floor you'd try to recall where you last saw the body condom, you'd strategically head back and get it. Whenever you needed a screaming face orb, you'd calmly and tactically return to the last place you saw one. Because you made all the choices, and the only choices to make in Doom were what floor treasures you picked up. You see, it was all up to the player 20 years ago. The game developers didn't have a story. They didn't have a pre-planned path. No cutscenes. No linear levels. They barely even had games. It was all about giving the player choices. Do you choose to run away when the flying meatball burps a skull at you? Do you go down the hallway with a smasher in the ceiling? Do you open the blue door after you get the blue skull? It's up to you. The developers left it completely open ended. Nothing like games today - You're railroaded everywhere you go. Oh gee, another brown hallway, wonder if theres a door at the end. Hey, look at that a skeleton, I bet I have to shoot him. An empty room with a switch, which wall is going to open up? Hmm, this area looks pretty wide open, how long before Im stuck in here fighting 30 monsters? It's sad that the scripted E3 hype demo video is nothing like the Doom I played when I was 11.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
I swear some of the spergs in this thread wouldn't be happy unless Doom 4 was a literal 1 to 1 copy of the original Doom.

Oh no, Brutal Doom and feminism (?) are ruining are video games!

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/610469228613881856

Segmentation Fault posted:

the file name appropriates sun worshipper culture

In addition, it isn't stated anywhere that the sun consented to being lusted after, which is very problematic in my opinion.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Not surprised to see Carmack liking Snapmap. Flexible, easy-to-use modmaking has his signature all over it. The only way it'd be more Carmack is if it involved Ferraris and rockets.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

EvilDrWong posted:

Doom 4 is a sure sign that video gaming as we know it is a dead artform. It looks like its a game about shooting things and opening doors. Thats not what Doom is. That's a mockery of the legacy Doom has left behind. Doom was never about guns, monsters, running, grunting, or even the suspicious face with the shifty eyes. No. Doom was about carefully picking things up off the floor, like a single parent with twin five year olds. It was a thinking mans game. It was barely even about shooting, monsters, or hell. It was about carefully managing things on the floor. You'd run around a level, notice a thing, then pick the thing up. If you saw four shotgun shells sitting by a lamp you would remember them and go back when you needed 4 shotgun shells. Whenever you saw a squiggly green line floor you'd try to recall where you last saw the body condom, you'd strategically head back and get it. Whenever you needed a screaming face orb, you'd calmly and tactically return to the last place you saw one. Because you made all the choices, and the only choices to make in Doom were what floor treasures you picked up. You see, it was all up to the player 20 years ago. The game developers didn't have a story. They didn't have a pre-planned path. No cutscenes. No linear levels. They barely even had games. It was all about giving the player choices. Do you choose to run away when the flying meatball burps a skull at you? Do you go down the hallway with a smasher in the ceiling? Do you open the blue door after you get the blue skull? It's up to you. The developers left it completely open ended. Nothing like games today - You're railroaded everywhere you go. Oh gee, another brown hallway, wonder if theres a door at the end. Hey, look at that a skeleton, I bet I have to shoot him. An empty room with a switch, which wall is going to open up? Hmm, this area looks pretty wide open, how long before Im stuck in here fighting 30 monsters? It's sad that the scripted E3 hype demo video is nothing like the Doom I played when I was 11.

Look at this. Look at all these words you wrote.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The snapmap stuff sounds pretty legit cool.

Doom 4 is Cube 2: Sauerbraten? :raise:

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

The real question about Doom 4 is will it be possible for the community to create levels? I don't really prefer the art style in the trailer though as it reminds me Rage and Doom 3 mashed together.

Edit: I'm guessing thats what snapmap is for. id's user tools have always been clunky poo poo and if its still basically qeradiant then yeah its way behind unity/ue.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 15, 2015

BoredMarc
Jun 14, 2010
DUMB AS SHIT
Someone on twitter did some color manipulation on a doom screenshot:

https://twitter.com/RatCasket/status/610478646499766273

I like the color corrected one alot better. My initial reaction to the trailer was "not liking the art style" but I might actually play the game with a classic doom color correction mod.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

SPACE HOMOS posted:

The real question about Doom 4 is will it be possible for the community to create levels? I don't really prefer the art style in the trailer though as it reminds me Rage and Doom 3 mashed together.

Edit: I'm guessing thats what snapmap is for. id's user tools have always been clunky poo poo and if its still basically qeradiant then yeah its way behind unity/ue.

We're getting two methods for content creation: Snapmap, which allows for easy-to-make level editing and new game modes, and idStudio, which contains the development tools for more advanced users to make deeper mods and total conversions.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

lets hang out posted:

Look at this. Look at all these words you wrote.

I thought it was amusing. :-)

Honestly the reaction in this thread is mostly positive, some concrete criticism, not a lot of slathering rage... probably the best reaction to a New Doom that you could really hope for here.

Personally I only have one thing that I really wish they had done, and that's go bonkers with the visual style. The original-Doom callouts from the door sound and the music were neat, but imagine if they had paid tribute to FIREBLU? (And yeah I was typing this before the color-corrected shot above was posted.)

Snapmap looks super-cool, and I'm pretty sure I heard them say you could incorporate custom-built (with "id studio") content as well as use the lego-room assembly, which if so would be great. That whole thing, including the tools for authoring game logic, was a nice surprise.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

BoredMarc posted:

I like the color corrected one alot better. My initial reaction to the trailer was "not liking the art style" but I might actually play the game with a classic doom color correction mod.
Wow, it's kind of crazy how much better that looks.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Brutal Doom 4 :wth:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

EvilDrWong posted:

i, personally, enjoy shooting mans with guns in a video game

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Snapmap isn't going to be anything like QERadiant. Its going to be like Cube 2 or like Portal's level editor. In-game, really piss easy to use.

That part is actually pretty brilliant.

Everything else is pretty meh that I've seen, though. That shotgun could not be wimpier if they tried.

BoredMarc posted:

Wow, that second screenshot actually gets me kinda excited. Those Cacodemons look really good in that color scheme.

BoredMarc
Jun 14, 2010
DUMB AS SHIT

arcsig posted:

Wow, it's kind of crazy how much better that looks.

I'm not even sure it looks "better" but the second picture definitely hits the doom nostalgia buttons in my brain where as the second one just doesn't. Also it's definitely better because I hate the brown artstyle.

I think the proliferation of the brown art style might be due to over reliance on focus testing. The target demographic just keeps saying it looks "gay" until they change all the colors to brown. That's how the focus tests go in my mind.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Worst case scenario, someone mods the "classic" color-scheme into the game. So it's not really that big of a deal to me.

Of course it'd be nice if we didn't have to rely on mods.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

RyokoTK posted:

I hope that Bungie makes Marathon 4, with brutal executions and all the terminals are replaced with audio logs where Durandal is voiced by Nolan North.

Halo 4?

arcsig
May 29, 2015

E: Posted in the wrong thread, that's what I get for having two threads open in a small window.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

EvilDrWong posted:

This is a funny post.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

BoredMarc posted:

I think the proliferation of the brown art style might be due to over reliance on focus testing. The target demographic just keeps saying it looks "gay" until they change all the colors to brown. That's how the focus tests go in my mind.

This was an interesting read: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/PhilRA/20090606/84228/Why_quotNextGen_Gamesquot_Went_Gray_Brown_And_Grey.php

If there's truth in that, then it's unfortunate that that particular "workaround" for lighting issues is now going to take some time to release its stranglehold on certain genre's art design, even when it's no longer helpful.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
I'm gonna blaspheme for a bit here and say that searching through empty parts of a level you've already cleared for some ammo or health you need in order to progress, like you would in Doom, is in fact not fun.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

LordArgh posted:

I'm gonna blaspheme for a bit here and say that searching through empty parts of a level you've already cleared for some ammo or health you need in order to progress, like you would in Doom, is in fact not fun.

It's almost like there are advantages and disadvantages to both styles!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Tippis posted:

So you played Doom a decade before it was out?
No, ammo was never really a concern in Doom since you could just go look for it rather than constantly be pushed forward for reasons of [cinematic gameplay and catering to ADD].

Most people did not use mouse controls in 1993. Many people didn't even have mice in 1993, and for those who did it was a "Windows thing". Mouse controls did not become standard until Quake multiplayer took off in 1997.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

We're getting two methods for content creation: Snapmap, which allows for easy-to-make level editing and new game modes, and idStudio, which contains the development tools for more advanced users to make deeper mods and total conversions.

Do you have any more information on idStudio? I haven't heard anything about that.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

That doesn't say anything at all about the gaming industry, and plenty of nonviolent games already exist. Complaining about the violence in Doom, saying that it's disgusting and ought to not exist is the exact same poo poo that happened two decades ago from people like Joe Lieberman. It's moral majority nonsense and everybody except Feminist Frequency's sycophants sees it for what it is now.

If we don't stop Anita Sarkeesian soon, she will destroy videogames as we know them!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

BoredMarc posted:

Random social media person understands color theory better than Id Software's art team. Look how the enemies pop against the background. I still think the enemies are too visually busy and should be simplified dramatically though.

LordArgh posted:

I swear some of the spergs in this thread wouldn't be happy unless Doom 4 was a literal 1 to 1 copy of the original Doom.

Oh no, Brutal Doom and feminism (?) are ruining are video games!
That approach was tried with Mega Man 9 and everyone loved it. Also Brutal Doom, for all its faults looms better than this because it still preserves the macro level strategy in early FPS games. God forbid a modern game let anything play out unpredictably or give the player enough rope to hang himself.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jesus christ some of you are literally the type of weird fuckers that get made fun of by normal people and the reason why no one gives more of a passing poo poo about videogames as a whole.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Doom 4 looks good. Not perfect, not as good as Doom 2, but still pretty drat good. Very excited for Snap Map, that should give Doom 4 a very active community just like Doom 2 already has.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

jesus christ some of you are literally the type of weird fuckers that get made fun of by normal people and the reason why no one gives more of a passing poo poo about videogames as a whole.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Woolie Wool posted:

Random social media person understands color theory better than Id Software's art team. Look how the enemies pop against the background. I still think the enemies are too visually busy and should be simplified dramatically though.

That approach was tried with Mega Man 9 and everyone loved it. Also Brutal Doom, for all its faults looms better than this because it still preserves the macro level strategy in early FPS games. God forbid a modern game let anything play out unpredictably or give the player enough rope to hang himself.

Megaman 9 was brutal (haha) and did some really evil things like making 1up shaped enemies. It was merely okay. Megaman 10 did that too and was honestly bad for than just being the same thing.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

EvilDrWong posted:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I wonder if, back in 1993, people were annoyed with Mega Man X for not being literally the exact same game as Mega Man 5.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RyokoTK posted:

I wonder if, back in 1993, people were annoyed with Mega Man X for not being literally the exact same game as Mega Man 5.

That's a good analogy of not for the fact that Doom 4 isn't creating something new and different, it's iterating on 20 years of FPS design.

Which is fine. I hope it is fun, or at least better than Rage.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Once again it's up to the modders to wrestle a Bethesda title back from the brink of unplayable garbage.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jordan7hm posted:

That's a good analogy of not for the fact that Doom 4 isn't creating something new and different, it's iterating on 20 years of FPS design.

Which is fine. I hope it is fun, or at least better than Rage.

Mega Man X really didn't create something all that new and different in its genre though, it was just a different sort of iteration than the NES Megaman games were doing.

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~
I like to judge an FPS by how good it's shotgun is, and, well, it's not looking good.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Brutal Doom 4 :wth:

I could not possibly be more okay with that. I LOVE Brutal DooM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I like Brutal Doom