Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, it's amazingly refreshing to finally read a manga where the girls don't seem to be made out of dough and plastic.

Yeah, even Midnight, who is basically the designated fanservice character, has a reasonably normal waist for a pretty athletic person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I appreciate the extra chapter where they explain she's wearing a skin tight outfit and isn't just driving all the hormonal teenagers insane by walking around a high school topless without anyone saying something.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Radish posted:

I appreciate the extra chapter where they explain she's wearing a skin tight outfit and isn't just driving all the hormonal teenagers insane by walking around a high school topless without anyone saying something.

Hmm, I don't remember reading this in an extra chapter, although it might've been a line someone tossed aside in the middle of one of the chapters. It's still funny how the author clearly seems to love drawing her, though, hah!

I wonder if they've explained Midnight's power yet? We've seen her ripping part of her costume off and emitting some kind of gas, so I guess it's the ability to emit knockout gas from her skin?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This is the page where Midnight comments on her costume, but I can't remember where they directly mention her knockout gas powers. I think it's just something that you intuit from the tournament.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
She knocked out Bakugou with some kind of gas right before he was about to moidle Todoroki after the final round in the tournament.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I wonder if Spaceman No. 13 is immune to Midnight's power thanks to his spacesuit?

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I think that it probably depends on how actually sealed and/or protected the outfit is. It could be a very armored or reinforced suit that's not sealed and so worthless against what we've seen of Midnight's quirk, or jut normally sealed and thus pretty proof against it while being kinda a wash as far as protection for the size goes.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

DrSunshine posted:

I wonder if Spaceman No. 13 is immune to Midnight's power thanks to his spacesuit?

Isn't he made out of black hole?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think he just wears the suit because his power is dangerous at close range. Everyone has been on the level of a weird human thus far, rather than something on the level of, say, Rockslide.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I wonder how this society with like 90%+ of everyone being mutants handles people with passively dangerous powers. Like, someone who emits ionizing radiation unwillingly or something. The government pay for a suit and living arrangements then?

It seems like the government makes a ridiculous amount of effort in general to accommodate everyone; Horikoshi even made a term "inclusive design" for it. That's why the school has rooms with high ceilings and huge doors.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

I wonder how this society with like 90%+ of everyone being mutants handles people with passively dangerous powers. Like, someone who emits ionizing radiation unwillingly or something. The government pay for a suit and living arrangements then?

It seems like the government makes a ridiculous amount of effort in general to accommodate everyone; Horikoshi even made a term "inclusive design" for it. That's why the school has rooms with high ceilings and huge doors.

I wonder if right wing otaku in Japan complain about this series.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Fabricated posted:

Well, like you say, when it's 90%+ of people, presumably with a decent portion of those being weird even in the sense of having an extra limb or so let alone more out there stuff, the sheer pressure of that much variety sort of forces accommodation. Quirks also make it easier to actually implement these changes. Hell, look at how big a deal wheelchair accessibility, for example, is in real life.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soylentbits posted:

Isn't he made out of black hole?

He is not; you can see his back after he accidentally hits himself with a black hole when fighting Black Mist. He's human under there, at least partially.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hey if your going to go percentages at least use the one actually given in the series. 80% of the human race are mutants.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

In that case, wouldn't the non-mutants be the mutants?

Makes you think, man.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Can't wait to meet Magneto except as a regular old dude without magnet powers.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Prison Warden posted:

Well, like you say, when it's 90%+ of people, presumably with a decent portion of those being weird even in the sense of having an extra limb or so let alone more out there stuff, the sheer pressure of that much variety sort of forces accommodation. Quirks also make it easier to actually implement these changes. Hell, look at how big a deal wheelchair accessibility, for example, is in real life.

Yea, it's probably a lot easier to make changes to a building to accommodate new students or workers when you can just call up a guy like Cementoss and have him reshape the building itself like playdough in a few hours instead of hiring an entire team to come in and do it slowly over days or weeks.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Waffleman_ posted:

In that case, wouldn't the non-mutants be the mutants?

Nope.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder if right wing otaku in Japan complain about this series.

I don't recall libertarians being quite so embedded in the Japanese right. The good ol' Empire was pretty authoritarian and collectivist, after all.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Fabricated posted:

They get you a roommate who can't stop absorbing radiation.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hey if your going to go percentages at least use the one actually given in the series. 80% of the human race are mutants.

I think this is due to older generations having a lower percentage of kids with quirks, though. I think Deku's generation is like ~99% or something, judging from the fact that he seems to be literally the only kid in his entire school with no quirk and his parents were confused about him not having a quirk.

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

I think this is due to older generations having a lower percentage of kids with quirks, though. I think Deku's generation is like ~99% or something, judging from the fact that he seems to be literally the only kid in his entire school with no quirk and his parents were confused about him not having a quirk.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Every generation after the Glowing Baby has had more and more quirked up kids. What's keeping the percentage of the entire population relatively low is the older people without Quirks that are still around. The lower the age bracket you look at, the higher concentration of Quirks you find. The overall percentage of people with Quirks probably goes up every 5 years.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
http://www.ishuhui.com/archives/374100

Raws for the new chapter up.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

This is Chinese ,not Japanese. An okay chapter though, not much is happening story-wise.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Spoilers:
-Turns out Noumu wasn't like a clone or grown in a test tube, but rather was a human who was experimented on. He has the DNA of at least 4 other individuals in him, which is why he had so many powerful quirks. It rendered him basically retarded however. The catch is that just transplanting tissue or blood or normal cloning doesn't actually transfer quirks properly due to some sort of genetic incompatibility- so the theory of the police is that someone has a quirk to transfer other quirks. So yeah, All For One?

-Stain apparently is not interested in working with Shigaraki. He reveals that he's watching all of the students, particularly Midoriya.

-Torino kicks the crap out of Midoriya, and lectures him that his eagerness to try and master One For All has made him lose sight of how to actually grow with it and use it his own way. Midoriya realizes this and starts...jotting down notes excitedly about how he's going to learn to use his power.

-Torino seems reasonably impressed with Midoriya after this, and he mentions All Might's true name.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 18, 2015

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Spoilers:
He has the DNA of at least 4 other individuals in him, which is why he had so many powerful quirks. It rendered him basically retarded however.

This made me laugh really hard for some reason, thinking about a villain loading up on the quirks and getting more stupid with every addition. Nomu is strangely endearing to me now.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Chapter is up:

http://www.readmanga.today/boku-no-hero-academia/47/1

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like this development. It's a really logical problem with his past use of One for All, though I hadn't thought of it myself.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I find it more interesting that Stain has no interesting in working with someone who's just killing for it's own sake, and more than anything that there's someone trying to guide Shigaraki's growth in the same way All Might and now Torino (among others) are guiding Dekus. Also, Deku's new costume is nice, but seems a little generic. I want to see what he looks like with the mask and face plate up with it though.

The fact the face plate reminds me of Nuomo's huge teeth is a little odd too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tsob posted:

I find it more interesting that Stain has no interesting in working with someone who's just killing for it's own sake, and more than anything that there's someone trying to guide Shigaraki's growth in the same way All Might and now Torino (among others) are guiding Dekus. Also, Deku's new costume is nice, but seems a little generic. I want to see what he looks like with the mask and face plate up with it though.

The fact the face plate reminds me of Nuomo's huge teeth is a little odd too.

I have a strong feeling that this organization of bad guys is going to be portrayed in a sympathetic light, at least to some extent. It's pretty clear that they're not just evil for the sake of being evil (at least at the upper rungs) and that they have some ideological problem with heroes.

Maybe it will turn out that the world of My Hero Academia treats criminals horribly and that the heroes, by extremely efficiently catching said criminals, are helping to enforce an unjust system (and that, as a result, their violence isn't really any more justified than that of criminals). (I doubt this will actually end up being the case, but it would be interesting if it did.)

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Perhaps I'm just dense but I'm not really sure what Deku's epiphany was. Are they saying he needs to use it more passively then something he has to activate?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Caidin posted:

Perhaps I'm just dense but I'm not really sure what Deku's epiphany was. Are they saying he needs to use it more passively then something he has to activate?

Deku is thinking of All for One as a special move, like a kamehameha or something, a special finishing technique. But a Quirk is part of your body and who you are, he should be incorporating it into everything he does, all the time. Like going Super Saiyan.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really like that Deku doesn't get all bent out of shape about being told he's doing it wrong and immediately starts analyzing himself just like he does everyone else. Also love that it all only took a chapter to happen, and I'm looking forward to seeing how he puts it into action.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

Deku is thinking of All for One as a special move, like a kamehameha or something, a special finishing technique. But a Quirk is part of your body and who you are, he should be incorporating it into everything he does, all the time. Like going Super Saiyan.

Okay yeah that makes sense, thank you.

that's a fairly logical issue for someone whose only actually had a quirk for a few months.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I have a strong feeling that this organization of bad guys is going to be portrayed in a sympathetic light, at least to some extent. It's pretty clear that they're not just evil for the sake of being evil (at least at the upper rungs) and that they have some ideological problem with heroes.

Maybe it will turn out that the world of My Hero Academia treats criminals horribly and that the heroes, by extremely efficiently catching said criminals, are helping to enforce an unjust system (and that, as a result, their violence isn't really any more justified than that of criminals). (I doubt this will actually end up being the case, but it would be interesting if it did.)

It was mentioned earlier in the series that villains are starting to feel the overwhelming pressure of such a large amount of heroes. Even in chapter one a single size-changer got taken down by no less than 2-3 heroes. This villain organization could be trying to even the playing field by creating the same organizational structure that the heroes are acting under. I've seen it before in fiction where the bad guys treat their group as some sort of immune response to the "problem" of too many good guys running around.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Yeah even in Chapter 1 you literally had a dozen Heroes showing up to stop a single villain, even when they couldn't do anything there was still a line of them standing around prepared to do whatever. Heroes are so plentiful some sort of response creating a Villain's League seems like a totally plausible direction.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
There are things I like about this chapter but the old man's Mega-Man design for his superhero suit is still overtaking everything for me. :3:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I really like how every example Deku comes up with for flexibility is Bakugou, because of course he'd recognize that Bakugou is a brilliant fighter.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Stallion Cabana posted:

Yeah even in Chapter 1 you literally had a dozen Heroes showing up to stop a single villain, even when they couldn't do anything there was still a line of them standing around prepared to do whatever. Heroes are so plentiful some sort of response creating a Villain's League seems like a totally plausible direction.

That reminds of the Secret Society of Super Villains from the Justice League Cartoon. Gorilla Grodd founded it and it was set up like a Super Villain union. Ensuring that villains would always have backup if super heroes showed up. The cost was membership fees and a cut of any takes they made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

MonsterEnvy posted:

That reminds of the Secret Society of Super Villains from the Justice League Cartoon. Gorilla Grodd founded it and it was set up like a Super Villain union. Ensuring that villains would always have backup if super heroes showed up. The cost was membership fees and a cut of any takes they made.

It makes sense and is generally a pretty good way to insert some sort of ambiguity into the situation without making it some kind of super dark 'Villains only exist because Heroes exist!', because not everyone really likes that sort of grit all the time.