Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sout
Apr 24, 2014

"What............ Food?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SunAndSpring posted:

There any more info about this game since I went to bed, or have things died down?

just what people have gleaned from analyzing the videos from last night. big one is nobody knows what's going on with the skill system, but it's a hell of a lot different than new vegas and fo3.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

SunAndSpring posted:

There any more info about this game since I went to bed, or have things died down?

There's sprinting.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Schurik posted:

Man, even though this looks considerably better than the reveal trailer and fine overall, Bethesda still is completely unable to infuse faces with personality. When they showed the couple in the bathroom my first thought was "this looks better than Skyrim at least", but then they started talking and looking at each other, ugh. Not to mention the salesman. I don't even know what the real problem is, just that I'm mostly able to get over the uncanny valley in games, no matter how old or graphically dated, but I just can't take anbything anyone says in a Bethesda game seriously. The fact that the writing is poo poo too probably compounds the issue.

Will play 1000s of hours of this regardless.
*grabs nose and pulls out, moves cheeks around like terrifying silly putty*
"These are the same exact tools we use in development for making NPC faces"

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Rinkles posted:

There's sprinting.

Raggghh this breaks the Fallout canon :argh: or something.
Seriously this is good, do we know if it runs off AP or some seperate stamina thing?

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014
I really hope there is low intelligence dialogue options where Troy Baker makes stupid loving noises in response to every dialogue choice.

Where am I?
How can I help?
Can I buy something? <---
Who are you?

"HNNNGG ME WANT THINGS BLUH"

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Other Mr Handy's didn't stay in the exact same spot for 200 years unless they broke down. They moved around or were found by scavengers.

The ones in and around the REPCONN HQ did. They were patrolling around the building, or in the building, and one of them seemed to stay primarily in the lobby.

How is that different from one staying in or near the home he's been serving?

sout posted:

Seriously this is good, do we know if it runs off AP or some seperate stamina thing?

It runs off of AP, there's mention of this in the endurance description from page like 84 or something.

khy fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 15, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

sout posted:

AP.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

sout posted:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Schurik posted:

Man, even though this looks considerably better than the reveal trailer and fine overall, Bethesda still is completely unable to infuse faces with personality. When they showed the couple in the bathroom my first thought was "this looks better than Skyrim at least", but then they started talking and looking at each other, ugh. Not to mention the salesman. I don't even know what the real problem is, just that I'm mostly able to get over the uncanny valley in games, no matter how old or graphically dated, but I just can't take anbything anyone says in a Bethesda game seriously. The fact that the writing is poo poo too probably compounds the issue.

Will play 1000s of hours of this regardless.

I don't think you understand what the uncanny valley is. It's an aversion that occurs as things approach realistic with something off. Old and outdated are further away from realistic and less uncanny valley lookin.

Your thought on the shower seen are it. It loads up and wow looks pretty good, then they start moving and it's unnatural. FF7 sausage man models won't give you the same feeling because they don't approach reality.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Count Canuckula posted:

I really hope there is low intelligence dialogue options where Troy Baker makes stupid loving noises in response to every dialogue choice.

Where am I?
How can I help?
Who are you?

Intelligence options aside I do like that the male voice is one that could convincingly come out of either a white guy or a black guy without sounding strange. That was something that bothered me with Mass Effect. It would let me make a lovely wax model of Sam Jackson, but he'd still sound like Brad Pitt.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Andrast posted:

The Adoring fan.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

zedprime posted:

*grabs nose and pulls out, moves cheeks around like terrifying silly putty*
"These are the same exact tools we use in development for making NPC faces"

Oh Todd...

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

I don't think you understand what the uncanny valley is. It's an aversion that occurs as things approach realistic with something off. Old and outdated are further away from realistic and less uncanny valley lookin.

Your thought on the shower seen are it. It loads up and wow looks pretty good, then they start moving and it's unnatural. FF7 sausage man models won't give you the same feeling because they don't approach reality.

Should have clarified that I wasn't talking about old literally, more early days of ps3, when people started looking like people. I think one of the main problems is that there is just zero style to anything. Stuff like Uncharted 1 still looks great (one reason being more detailed animation, of course), but mainly because of a distinct stylization without going into cartoonishness. Faces in Bethesda games look like someone with zero artistic ability traced a photo.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Schurik posted:

Faces in Bethesda games look like someone with zero artistic ability traced a photo of a potato.

ftfy

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gamebryo uncanny valley fish faces own.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Bicyclops posted:

Gamebryo uncanny valley fish faces own.

He'll yeah gonna run around Boston as a Lovecraftian fishman down from Innsmouth.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Explosives character running around Boston

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Ya'll should know what to expect and not expect from bethesda by now. Their character models will always be bad. Things like walking animations can run as much as a decade behind competing contemporary games. The writing and dialogue will be Very Bad. I'm okay with this because I learned not to expect any better a decade ago.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Count Canuckula posted:

Where am I?
How can I help?
Who are you?

If there wasn't in Fallout 3 I doubt there will be in Fallout 4. Especially now that everything has a voice attached to it.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Question for someone with more technical knowledge than me: Is it just me or is Creation one of the few engines that doesn't use seperately rendered eyeballs in faces, instead treating them as part of a polygonal plane? Because I think that's one of my main problems. Almost ruined L.A. Noire for me, they had the same problem.

hemophilia posted:

Ya'll should know what to expect and not expect from bethesda by now. Their character models will always be bad. Things like walking animations can run as much as a decade behind competing contemporary games. The writing and dialogue will be Very Bad. I'm okay with this because I learned not to expect any better a decade ago.

I know what to expect, like I said I'm gonna play it regardless, just trying to vocalize exactly WHY faces look so bad.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Eye of Widesauron posted:

yikes

Schurik posted:

Question for someone with more technical knowledge than me: Is it just me or is Creation one of the few engines that doesn't use seperately rendered eyeballs in faces, instead treating them as part of a polygonal plane? Because I think that's one of my main problems. Almost ruined L.A. Noire for me, they had the same problem.

well p obviously its because of the engine which they don't want to update/fix because :effort:

i mean they are still using oblivion (or was it morrowind even?) animations in 2015

cthulhoo fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 15, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sprinting is a difficult mechanic to put in for this setting - unless you really pump your points into Endurance, Heartbreak Hill will exhaust your character.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Are we gunna talk about the revolutionary new feature: the health bar now drains from right to left instead of into the middle.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Nice

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

sout posted:

Are we gunna talk about the revolutionary new feature: the health bar now drains from right to left instead of into the middle.

And so the last bastion of uniqueness falls...

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Schurik posted:

I know what to expect, like I said I'm gonna play it regardless, just trying to vocalize exactly WHY faces look so bad.

It's just you, the creation engines does render eyeballs separately from the face.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Schurik posted:

Eyeballs in the creation engine are definitely rendered separately from the rest of the face. There's been issues with ENB and AA that cause the eyeballs not to render at all which is hilariously horrifying. I have images at home of empty eyesockets.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

disturbing

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Man, they look a surprising lot like badly animated textures then.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

hemophilia posted:

I'm at peace with this, I just wish they wouldn't try to push the third person camera as an option with a straight face. F3/FNV third person was basically first person, but with a shittily rigged Fullsail freshman project pinned to an invisible selfie stick floating in front of you. Skyrim was a slight improvement, because basically anything would be. This looks like it continues the trend, being marginally better than marginally better than utter loving dogshit. It's still not a selling point.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Cephalocidal posted:

I'm at peace with this, I just wish they wouldn't try to push the third person camera as an option with a straight face. F3/FNV third person was basically first person, but with a shittily rigged Fullsail freshman project pinned to an invisible selfie stick floating in front of you. Skyrim was a slight improvement, because basically anything would be. This looks like it continues the trend, being marginally better than marginally better than utter loving dogshit. It's still not a selling point.

jesus christ

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Cephalocidal posted:

I never really tried to use third person for gameplay, especially combat, usually just to see myself doing a funny backwards diagonal moonwalk or to check if my character was wearing his sunglasses or not.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bholder posted:

Just so you know, voiced or not, but even in old Fallout all of your dialog options were pre-written, you could only say things the designers intended for you to say. Your options were always limited.

The only limitation voiced lines will add is that you won't be able to introduce yourself (and even that might be untrue now)

Actually there was a text parser so you could type in and ask whatever you wanted. :D

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Actually there was a text parser so you could type in and ask whatever you wanted. :D

I've played 1 and 2 perhaps 6 or 7 times each and I never used that thing.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Fallout 4's at the xbox stream, but are they showing anything new?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They're showing it now at the Microsoft E3 thing. Probably no new information, but just in case.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Bicyclops posted:

Has anyone figured out who the voice actors were in the showcase? That Vault Tec guy sounded super familiar to me.

I think it's Herbert Dashwood / Nathan from Megaton / Abraham Washington / every old dude in FO3?

The Ripper was in the list of weapons :)

They're showing some newer footage of Fallout 4 in the Microsoft E3 panel right now and someone already said this probably

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Some story stuff happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Well, it is nice that Fallout 4 greatly improves on Fallout 3's mods.

Now depending on how they do the perks/skills, I'm hoping that Seorin can fix them.

• Locked thread