Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

khy posted:

Man gently caress those rews they were awful. I hate all rews line all the time.

Android autocorrect FTL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

oblomov posted:

Android autocorrect FTL.

Speaking of, I want that plastic pip boy. BUT! I'm worried my phone is too big for it because I have a Note 3.

I doubt though that the pip boy alone is the sole cost of the extra $60, I'm sure they'll include artwork/soundtrack/other goodies alongside it.

Oh wait.

quote:

• Physical Pip-Boy Pocket Guide. Featuring handy illustrations and chock full of Vault-Tec® approved tips, this manual is the ultimate how-to pocket guide for using and maintaining your new Pip-Boy.
  • Physical Vault-Tec Perk Poster. Keep track of your perks with your very own physical Vault-Tec perk poster, fully colorized retro fun for the quintessential Wasteland survivor.
  • Comes complete with RobCo Industries stand, custom-printed capsule, adjustable foam cuff, rotating knobs and lights.

So pip boy, stand, poster, and pocket guide.

You know what? I'll still get it. I have money.

khy fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 15, 2015

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yess, :allears: that sounds great.
Hopefully that doesn't mean that they'll skimp on the ingame controls for it, though. Navigating the pipboy in FO3/NV was kind of painful and slow on PCs.

e:

khy posted:

Speaking of, I want that plastic pip boy. BUT! I'm worried my phone is too big for it because I have a Note 3.

It does claim that it comes with a variety of foam inserts for different smartphones, it would be pretty weird if it didn't support the largest phones considering how many large Android and iOS phones there are in the wild now.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 15, 2015

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone playing Fallout Shelter? I can't seem to get my 14th dweller. All of my women are pregnant, so maybe it's designed to not give me the 14th until they all pop.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Generic Monk posted:

also if you pay massively over the odds you get a cheap plastic pipboy you can put your phone in

Never discount the fact that people will buy that poo poo off you later for a lot. I sold a Fallout lunchbox for like $100.

The iOS game is a fun little time waster, you get these lunchboxes of items every so often for completing mini goals and they can unlock characters from the previous games. Alistair Tenpenny lives on in Vault 420.

To the guy above, the pregnant women take a while to give birth. They're pregnant, give them some time! (Don't forget they can still work in the power room or whatever while pregnant)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone playing Fallout Shelter? I can't seem to get my 14th dweller. All of my women are pregnant, so maybe it's designed to not give me the 14th until they all pop.

Make sure you also have residential rooms. New guys don't show up to the door very much unless you have a radio to call them over every couple of hours.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm just going off the E3 gameplay stuff, but can you only play as a male in this one?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Spikeguy posted:

I'm just going off the E3 gameplay stuff, but can you only play as a male in this one?

Nope, same as it ever was.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Spikeguy posted:

Nope. You can play as a girl too.

Demisexual Tumblr genderblobs not so much.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Nope. You can play as a girl too.

Demisexual Tumblr genderblobs not so much.

yeah, you show those identity exploring and sexually confused teenagers what for

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Hell yeah hand cranked laser musket. Can't wait for Signature Weapons FO4 edition. Gonna kill everything in the game with that beast.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

My cousin at Bethesda just told me you can play as a closeted homosexual in Fallout 4

boneration posted:

Hell yeah hand cranked laser musket. Can't wait for Signature Weapons FO4 edition. Gonna kill everything in the game with that beast.

I liked that too, but I'll probably just use a normal laser rifle because I'm boring :smith:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ShadowMar posted:

yeah, you show those confused teenagers what for

It's fun to laugh at dumb teenagers. It was true when we were the kids. It always has been and always we be.

Sorry if this is news to you

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

boneration posted:

It's cool and all but what if it could have a plasma core instead :q:

Also I hope bayonets are fun.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

The Berzerker posted:

Never discount the fact that people will buy that poo poo off you later for a lot. I sold a Fallout lunchbox for like $100.

The iOS game is a fun little time waster, you get these lunchboxes of items every so often for completing mini goals and they can unlock characters from the previous games. Alistair Tenpenny lives on in Vault 420.

To the guy above, the pregnant women take a while to give birth. They're pregnant, give them some time! (Don't forget they can still work in the power room or whatever while pregnant)

i bought the duke nukem balls of steel edition like a mug so never again. i've rationalised it in my mind that it was the purest, distilled expression of AAA gaming and don't need a to sabotage my self-actualization

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

khy posted:

You know what? I'll still get it. I have money.

The only place I've seen it available is Amazon and they won't ship outside the US. Only the standard edition is available on Steam so far as I can tell.

I wish they would hurry up so I could slap some money down and then pine about this for 5 months. Constantly threatening to cancel it at the slightest rumour.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Did they show if their gore system has improved at all or if it's the same poo poo as 3/NV

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I want to see what happens if you give the man a really long witch nose and the woman a tinny little pig nose that glitchily disappears into her face, and which gene will be dominant in the baby, the witchnose or the noseless.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

frajaq posted:

I liked that too, but I'll probably just use a normal laser rifle because I'm boring :smith:

I legit love the look of the laser rifle and think it's cool as hell. also in the gamebryo games it feels nicer to shoot than the weird nothing that the plasma rifle ends up being

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hopefully they have a list of recorded lines for your dog. I want to be able to call out his name to rip out the wiring on some robot fool.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

crawlkill posted:

welcome to the voiced protagonist! please, can I decide a few things for you?

I don't particularly mind being breederized, whatever, but the implications for player agency in general are hilariously grim

Hahaha breederized

khy
Aug 15, 2005

ShadowMar posted:

Did they show if their gore system has improved at all or if it's the same poo poo as 3/NV

The M$/XBone Fallout 4 trailer had some decent gore, showed some sparkly new disintegration effects from the LAZER MUSKET, and so on and so forth. Strong emphasis on a similar style but new effects.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Nope, same as it ever was.

So I'm just guessing here, but in the beginning you'd play as the wife instead of the husband then.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Are there going to be options to let you choose your PC's VA like in past few Saints Row games?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Spikeguy posted:

So I'm just guessing here, but in the beginning you'd play as the wife instead of the husband then.

Yup. You can edit both their faces, and the baby will develop features that are a hybrid of the two, and you play as whichever one you exit the menu from.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Father Wendigo posted:

Are there going to be options to let you choose your PC's VA like in past few Saints Row games?

I think Todd said that there were a few VA sets you can choose.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ShadowMar posted:

From what I saw, it's the same or mostly the same in terms of what can be dismembered but they've improved the bullet hole decals and blood spray. There's also a lot of animation and ragdoll improvements, and I think they're moving toward canned animations transitioning into ragdolls instead of the dead just flopping to the ground like a fish when their HP reaches 0. The enemies also seem to actually react to how they're hit by melee weapons instead of just doing a generic flinch, and the Skyrim executions are back.

And gun bashing!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

They really made Power Armor look and feel like it's heavy as gently caress and strong enough that you can totally buy the US thinking that a hundred of them could pacify China. I like it.

Not specifically related to F4 itself, but am I the only one who thinks the "Most of the Vaults were just social experiments" line dropped in 2 (iirc) was kinda stupid? My favorite Vaults were ones that failed because of some mundane reason combined with whatever got in, not "Well we wondered what would happen if we only put one woman inside!" ones. Here and there one of those is fine, but such a strong through-line didn't work for me.

It also makes Power Armor training actually seem necessary now that you are literally climbing into a human shaped tank instead of just putting on some future fully body armored suit, but it looks like both will be given to you very early on by the main story.

As for lovely vaults, these are products of a private company hired by the same old world that was fine with groups of scientists conducting all sorts of experiments on the general population to cut costs or create a weapon or tech before the enemy did. F.E.V. was developed as both cure for a goddamn New Plague released by China and a hopeful shortcut to infectious evolution of America. Of course their contingency plans for saving their desired portion of the human race are going to be mostly tainted by the same shortsighted profit margins, general sadism and incompetence that led them all to nuclear war. And even if you don't get killed by the social engineering, there was no guarantee you even last without a few rad roaches breaking in and killing off half your population.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Generic Monk posted:

I legit love the look of the laser rifle and think it's cool as hell. also in the gamebryo games it feels nicer to shoot than the weird nothing that the plasma rifle ends up being

Same. The laser rifle was always my weapon of choice in FO3/NV because it always shot straight and instantly, which helps since I didn't like using VATS.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 15, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Azhais posted:

You're right, they should grab knives and shank a bitch. They're already halfway there with that "fetch" mechanic.
If you download my Sif mod for $1.99...

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

MisterBibs posted:

They really made Power Armor look and feel like it's heavy as gently caress and strong enough that you can totally buy the US thinking that a hundred of them could pacify China. I like it.

Not specifically related to F4 itself, but am I the only one who thinks the "Most of the Vaults were just social experiments" line dropped in 2 (iirc) was kinda stupid? My favorite Vaults were ones that failed because of some mundane reason combined with whatever got in, not "Well we wondered what would happen if we only put one woman inside!" ones. Here and there one of those is fine, but such a strong through-line didn't work for me.

A fair number of Vaults were experiments of some kind, but a lot of failures weren't due to being designed to fail, but some circumstance or another screwing things up completely. Vault 92 in FO3 was stated to be to preserve music, but they also were doing quiet experiments with white noise to implant suggestions into people. The scientists were actually playing it safe and focusing on simple, basic commands. The problem is the Overseer was acting on hidden orders to develop military applications and did not consult with the scientists. Thus they couldn't understand why people were suddenly turning into berserk killing machines until it was too late to stop it.

Vault 22 was doing agricultural research on improving plants and hydroponic technology. The only reason it failed was they accidently created parasitic spores that mutated people into spore carriers and killed everyone that didn't evacuate.

Vault 3 was actually a success story, up until they decided to open the vault and initiate contact with the outside world. Unfortunately the first people they made contact with were the Fiends who charged in, slaughtered everyone and took over the Vault.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
IIRC, the Vaults were supposed to give the Enclave data that would be useful for rebuilding society after the war or, if we consider some things in the Van Buren notes to be canon, for a plan to create colony ships to go to another inhabitable planet. And there is the fact that the person in charge of the experiments, Stanislaus Braun, was a bat-poo poo sociopath who got off on tormenting people.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Baseless power armor speculation based on the footage from the Microsoft conference setting up that power armor action as an early quest and the fact it lives in a garage: power armor is a special thing everybody gets to use during scripted sequences and if we're lucky there's a perk or upgrade or something that lets your vertibird drop it for you to use for 5 minutes at a time.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

On one hand, I liked what looked to be post-war weapons put together with whatever they could find. It would be cool if those were weapons that you made.

But I think it will be crappy as hell if it doesn't have a lot of the pre-war weapons as well.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

zedprime posted:

Baseless power armor speculation based on the footage from the Microsoft conference setting up that power armor action as an early quest and the fact it lives in a garage: power armor is a special thing everybody gets to use during scripted sequences and if we're lucky there's a perk or upgrade or something that lets your vertibird drop it for you to use for 5 minutes at a time.

I'm okay with it being a not all the time thing but I hope it's not on a timer. Maybe you just abandon it when it gets too damaged or runs out of ammo and then it despawns eventually

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Crabtree posted:

It also makes Power Armor training actually seem necessary now that you are literally climbing into a human shaped tank instead of just putting on some future fully body armored suit, but it looks like both will be given to you very early on by the main story.
Note that the power armor very obviously has a removable/replaceable power source (the thing he plugs in the back). I bet it is a limited resource in the game, i.e., no stomping around in that tin can all day erry day.

efb

e: this would actually piss me off a little if there was forced power armor sequences, unless they were rare and well done. Don't want no WoW style vehicle quests in my post apocalytia!

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'd be ok with it having a set amount of health and once you run out of it, you gotta ditch it and repair it back at your garage. Making it scripted would be really restricting and I doubt Bethesda would do something like that. Judging from the power armor hud, there's no fuel indicator, but there is an armor health indicator, so I'm guessing once the body breaks, you gotta leave the suit.

Anyway, my guess about where skills went is that they are now the names of Perk trees, and that old perks related to those skills have been rolled into those trees. So, you'd find poo poo like Meltdown and Plasma Spaz in the Energy Weapons tree, and in Barter you'd have Strong Back and Scrounger. I'm also guessing the perks will have SPECIAL requirements that must be met as well.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I can see the power armor having an automated "Walk/fly" mode and you have the ability to call it in via your Pip-Boy if you forgot to head out with it or send it home when it gets too damaged.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I can see the power armor having an automated "Walk/fly" mode and you have the ability to call it in via your Pip-Boy if you forgot to head out with it or send it home when it gets too damaged.

They'll probably handwave it away by saying that someone from your settlement goes to its last known location and picks it up if you leave it alone for too long, and that once you get your verti-bird, your pilot will drop it off for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

quote:

"You are having a quiet moment with your dog, then the right song comes in your pipboy and action breaks out, that's what Fallout is"
So, to Howard Fallout is just killing people to the tune of 50's music...... great....
That right there should have been confirmation of gameplay, storyline.

There is a time when everything has to die.. And Fallout has been dead for a long time.
If Bethesda was really as "sophisticated and smart" as some say..Well why did they not consult Tim Cain for Fallout??
As much as Todd and Pete claim to love and be fans of Fallout... (they never give solid example that they actually played Fallout)
It would be like working with George Lucas or Gene Roddenberry.

Hope can be a bad thing...it keeps you in Denial of the Truth.
"hoping it will be good" "hoping it will play okay" "hoping you can tolerate it" "maybe Bethesda hired competent people" "maybe todd suicide himself"
At the end of the DAY Fallout is Not "Fallout" without Tim Cain and Original Crew...Not Obsidian
No matter how you say it, describe it, argue it......it's still Not Fallout

All that nonsense about Bethesda doing decent or not having at all = Fail
And if you don't think, did you forget?? They could have done a 3D Fallout fps/3rd/OpenWorld
Then look at
Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines is a 2004 action role-playing game set in White Wolf's World of Darkness; it was developed by Troika Game The game is presented from first- and third-person perspectives. It offers an open world structure, allowing the player to complete side missions away from the primary storyline by moving freely between the available hubs.
Troika Games key people= Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky & Jason Anderson

Fallout 3 did not have Traits, Reputation and Skills were already streamlined.
Some of the problem is Josh Sawyer streamlined them even more in New Vegas. (saying something about there being too many choices) And watching other players "playing wrong" and being confused. see pillars of eternity...

Saying anything added from Skyrim is a good thing just nonsense.. either you did not play Skyrim or you work for Bethesda.

Source. Honestly don't know if this for real or not

• Locked thread