Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

You people are gonna try to shove Alice into every party, aren't you?
:unsmigghh: :unsmigghh: :unsmigghh: :unsmigghh: :unsmigghh: :unsmigghh: :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
Rose, Sidney, Megaqueen

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Sydney, Your vote x2

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

So how goes the Crisis on Infinite Landsknechts?

Greywords
Oct 17, 2008

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to Select Warp.
Asteria, 2x Fetus' Choice

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Meanwhile, nobody likes Scott. Nobody.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Ratoslov posted:

Scott, Scott, Scott! :colbert:

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Ratoslov posted:

Scott will have his time in the sun, but he needs like...eight more levels before he really starts doing his thing. Probably midway through the second Stratum?

---

In any case, Faye, Sidney, Rose. Those three plus Asteria and Cassandra should make for one hell of a party.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Scott, MEGAQUEEN, Sidney. I used a buccaneer and so shall you.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Rose, 2x your choice

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Rose, Cassandra, Asteria

I wouldn't toss an anchor to a drowning man, and I won't send you to fight a boss with Alicia.

Until later.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Alice, MEGAQUEEN and Sidney

Dr. Fetus posted:

Of course!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Old Greg posted:

This. You're writing her too well Dr. Fetus! Time to give her a horrible accident that renders her mute. It's the only way.

And then rename her Quiet.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Casandra, Faye, Akatsuki

Hnnnnnnng...too...many...choices...not enough...VOTES!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well no DUH, Farmers are -totally- the BEST CLASS EVAR!

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
Alice, Fang, and Fetus' Choice

Looks like it's up to me to demonstrate a weird quirk since you'll be using an AoE.

Blue Link
Apr 22, 2014
Akatsuki, Your Choice x2

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Asteria, Akatsuki, Sidney

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014
Sidney, Asteria, Your choicex1

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
VOTING IS CLOSED:

Asteria: 15
Sidney: 10
Rose: 9
Alice: 7
Cassandra: 7
Faye: 7

Akatsuki: 5
Susan: 4
Fang: 3
Scott: 2

My choice: 12

Well there's a three way tie for 4th and 5th place, so I'll break it myself by kicking Alice out of the party. You lose, Alice supporters. Sorry if you wanted to see a Farmer in the party. So the final team will be Rose, Cassandra, Faye, Sidney, and Asteria!

theshim
May 1, 2012

Fools, all of you! :argh:

This isn't over, Dr. Fetus. Ohhhh, no, not by a long shot. :unsmigghh:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Looking forward to the first boss. Does it have a conditional drop that will make you mad bank, or was that just in EO2?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Nah, the conditional doesn't sell for that much.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Only now does the thread see the folly of allowing the LP'er to choose his own party members.

RIP Alice

2015 - 2015

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Well fine, Fetus, see if I give you votes again :colbert: Alice is going to be sitting in a corner and crying because of you, you heartless jerk.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GeneralYeti posted:

Well fine, Fetus, see if I give you votes again :colbert: Alice is going to be sitting in a corner and crying because of you, you heartless jerk.

Mind, this is as opposed to being savaged by vicious beasts in the field.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Good job Fetus, now we'll just vote in Alice for all the other bosses.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

GeneralYeti posted:

seriously? She's a terrified little girl, why would anyone force her into fighting hideous monsters?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Solo run of the bonus boss with just Alice or we'll burn the thread down.

Looking forward to the first boss.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Glazius posted:

Looking forward to the first boss. Does it have a conditional drop that will make you mad bank, or was that just in EO2?
Conditionals got dropped from 30k to 10k in later games, and the first one or two were made trickier to get. Of course, they did add Formaldehyde to make up for that...

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Junpei Hyde posted:

Good job Fetus, now we'll just vote in Alice for all the other bosses.

Given Fetus's previous great writing quality and seeing where we are already, this will likely be my strategy for Stratum 3 and onward.

I did not accidentally skip 2 that will be 3x LPer choice.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Fetus, I know the pain of using a Farmer to fight bosses. When I first played EO3, I had a farmer in my party because I was confident that she was gonna turn around and be awesome. I gave up on the game at the end of the second stratum because 1)she was useless and 2)I didn't do sea quests so I couldn't get weapons that made my farmer do more than 2 damage. To be fair, I learned my lesson for 4 and EO3 was my first foray into the series. Also Asteria is awesome and must remain in the party forever :colbert:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Farmers remain terrible in combat throughout the entire game. They will not turn into fighting machines, even in the postgame. They have no damage skills, and practically no in battle support. For reference, their stats at level 70 are:

HP: 305
TP: 181
STR: 28
TEC: 31
VIT: 42
AGI: 45
LUC: 71

Aside from TP and LUC, they have really terrible stats all around. Compared to say, a Gladiator whose stats at 70 are:

HP: 489
TP: 129
STR: 64
TEC: 32
VIT: 59
AGI: 40
LUC: 40

Farmers are purely a field support class. They do have high LUC, but that isn't really a stat they can make use of, since it affects ailments (They only have Lullaby and Strange Seeds, compared to the Wildling who has access to nearly every ailment in the game), ailment resistance (which would normally be a good thing, except a bug actually makes their high LUC work against them), accuracy and evasion, and critical hits. (Good luck taking advantage of that with their low STR.) Use them if you want, don't expect them to actually contribute a lot in combat. You take Farmers to make dungeon crawls easier, not for killing bosses or well, anything.

If you're actually hoping for Alice to turn into a good party member, it's not happening. Period.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 16, 2015

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Yes, I'm quite aware now that they will never be good at fighting. But when I started, the game was pretty new and it was my first time playing an Etrian Odyssey game. I didn't bother with silly things like status ailments, Zodiacs, or things that don't completely suck. I think my party was something like G/H A/F/M and fights took forever because I had two people that could actually do damage. I'm playing again now, and I'm finding the game starkly more entertaining now that I'm using a much better party.

Keep up the good work Fetus, I'm learning a ton from this LP. The EO2 thread was fantastic, and this is a lot of fun already.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

If you're actually hoping for Alice to turn into a good party member, it's not happening. Period.

That's the problem I'm having this early in the game, because you've made her a good party member character-wise, writing wise :smith:

But I'm not voting her in anytime soon until you can effectively 4-man dungeon floors, because that's what a farmer is. I was fascinated when you laid out that a fully maxed out exp boost only provides a percent over just having 4 people in group, because I always assumed that was the actual combat use. If you feel confident 4-manning, you can do some level grinding! But not at so low a bonus. Yeesh.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dr. Fetus posted:

Mods, please change this poster's name to "Quitter".

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Dr. Fetus posted:

Farmers remain terrible in combat throughout the entire game. They will not turn into fighting machines, even in the postgame. They have no damage skills, and practically no in battle support. For reference, their stats at level 70 are:

HP: 305
TP: 181
STR: 28
TEC: 31
VIT: 42
AGI: 45
LUC: 71

Aside from TP and LUC, they have really terrible stats all around. Compared to say, a Gladiator whose stats at 70 are:

HP: 489
TP: 129
STR: 64
TEC: 32
VIT: 59
AGI: 40
LUC: 40

Farmers are purely a field support class. They do have high LUC, but that isn't really a stat they can make use of, since it affects ailments (They only have Lullaby and Strange Seeds, compared to the Wildling who has access to nearly every ailment in the game), ailment resistance (which would normally be a good thing, except a bug actually makes their high LUC work against them), accuracy and evasion, and critical hits. (Good luck taking advantage of that with their low STR.) Use them if you want, don't expect them to actually contribute a lot in combat. You take Farmers to make dungeon crawls easier, not for killing bosses or well, anything.

It works fine if you pump 'em to 99 in all stats.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah, he's not kidding about the Farmer thing. Trust me. On a related note, I hate everyone who voted for this team: (huge, also very vague spoilers for 2nd stratum; leave thumbnailed if you want to avoid them.)

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 16, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, I know Alice will never, ever be useful. Aside from Gathering, what is she useful for? General dungeon support?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, I know Alice will never, ever be useful. Aside from Gathering, what is she useful for? General dungeon support?

If you put her stats the right way, you can have a living Ariadne Thread that only needs TP to work! Or she can give you some steps that you won't encounter monsters through. So basically helpful any way besides combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Or Or Or you could replace a Farmer with literally any other class and things will be better.
You could even double up on a class, that's cool. You people with that drat insistence on farmers are just cruel and insane.

Farmer is a trash mule class with trash mule skills.

They're not even the best at their own drat job.

• Locked thread