Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fister Roboto posted:

There will actually have to be a new discussion about fracture if they're holding true to what they said about skill speed affecting DOT damage.

I figure its going to become even more situational than before. Since the DRG buffs, it's couple of times that it was useful is pretty much gone entirely. I haven't used it on DRG at all. Depending on the PLD DPS combos, it may not be beneficial for them either. Monk might still get some use out of it if they have the TP available, but I see it dropping off as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I want the first phase of Kefka to just be the dissidia version of him just strutting around.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Unlucky7 posted:

Swolecobo?

Much like both game of thrones and bodybuilding, there are only two seasons in heavensward: fat chocobo discussion and fracture discussion.

Also since he's eating cake in HW while flying we can assume brocobo is pushing hard for gains in HW, when he's on the ground he's cutting with gysahl greens with about the same effect as real life broscience bodybuilders

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bacontotem posted:

Fat chocobo mount is actually just a bulking bodybuilding chocobo. Once he goes into a cut cycle you'll see.

i would actually use the fat chocobo mount if he had sumo wrestler barding

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

SpaceGoku posted:

In an interview Yoship specifically said the 2.1-2.55 MSQ will give XP but only if you have Heavensward.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/446/view/news/read/35086/YoshiPAddressesContentAccessibilityConcerns.html

Important bit:

"Additionally, pre-50 main scenario quests will give double experience so you don't have to do side content, and if you own Heavensward you'll get experience from the 2.1-2.55 quests as well, so you can get a few levels before even entering Ishgard."

I just started playing a couple weeks ago and currently am close to having my first class at lvl30. What level range do those 2.1-2.55 quests take place? I want to make sure that if I decide to play long term I pick up the expansion by the time it will be useful to me.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Kjermzs posted:

I just started playing a couple weeks ago and currently am close to having my first class at lvl30. What level range do those 2.1-2.55 quests take place? I want to make sure that if I decide to play long term I pick up the expansion by the time it will be useful to me.

They are all level 50 content.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bacontotem posted:

Fat chocobo mount is actually just a bulking bodybuilding chocobo. Once he goes into a cut cycle you'll see.

He's like the Kingpin from Spiderman. You look at him and see a fat out of shape creature but it's actually solid muscle and they can rip you in half like a phonebook.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

http://isitheavenswardyet.com/

actually i kinda feel this would be more poignant if it just had a simple "No"

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
Literally every single day on Leviathan.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Random plot questions because I didn't pay attention to a lot of it:

So, we have "echo". It basically means we just don't die so we clear dungeons through attrition, but common people don't seem to know about it so they go adventuring and die. Additionally, we have hydaelyn's blessing which I guess meant we singlehandedly kept the ascians from entering the Waking Sands / Rising Stones and murdering everyone.

But then Dragon Dad takes that blessing away. I figured that made him hostile, but other people say he's more like new Dad. What's the deal there?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

nuru posted:

So, we have "echo". It basically means we just don't die so we clear dungeons through attrition, but common people don't seem to know about it so they go adventuring and die. Additionally, we have hydaelyn's blessing which I guess meant we singlehandedly kept the ascians from entering the Waking Sands / Rising Stones and murdering everyone.

But then Dragon Dad takes that blessing away. I figured that made him hostile, but other people say he's more like new Dad. What's the deal there?

Let me explain.

*Waves hand in air dismissively*

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The answer is that nobody knows yet.

Also it's never actually stated, but I'm pretty sure that the Echo is what allows you to see an enemy's telegraphs.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

nuru posted:

The "blessing of light" and "the Echo" are two different things. It's why the Sahagin priest has the Echo, but he isn't protected by Crystal Mom like you are. Midgardsormr strips away the blessing of light (which is what kept the Ascians away) to make his new body, but left the Echo intact, and it's implied that he did so with Crystal Mom's blessing. You're under his aegis, now, for whatever that means.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fister Roboto posted:

The answer is that nobody knows yet.

Also it's never actually stated, but I'm pretty sure that the Echo is what allows you to see an enemy's telegraphs.

I remember the devs mentioning something like that, yeah. Also the Echo is what lets you communicate with the Beastman Tribes, since not all of them speak Eorzean or whatever the normal language is called.

Basically the Echo is a collection of MMO QoL abilities plus telepathy.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
it's all-purpose plot spackle and don't think about it too hard

McCheese
May 1, 2011
Minfilia has it so it can't be all that special anyway.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I remember someone here saying it was basically "... And that's what would have happened if we didn't dodge boss' AoE", where you didn't die so much as saw a vision of a time you would have died if you hosed up. I have no idea if that's true but it sounds cool so I'm behind it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also I'm pretty sure the Echo being a thing in some Eorzeans is a result of the Agrius dropping into Silvertear Lake and blowing up a massive leyline of aether.

e: my spellcheck really hates this post

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Re: Dragon Dad: I believe the insinuation or outright explanation is that Hydaelyn's power is waning for unknown reasons, and soon her blessing would have disappeared from you altogether. To prevent leaving you open to Ascian possession/etc., she struck a deal with Midgardsormr, one of the few beings anywhere near Hydaelyn/Zodiark's weight class, to become your protector while she patches herself up. Which presumably Minfilia will tell us more about when it's *gasp* revealed that she's not dead.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fister Roboto posted:

Also I'm pretty sure the Echo being a thing in some Eorzeans is a result of the Agrius dropping into Silvertear Lake and blowing up a massive leyline of aether.

e: my spellcheck really hates this post

The Echo predates that.

Also I wouldn't think too hard about the player character getting back up after death. That's just videogames, not something that's really acknowledged in the canon in any way.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
Dragon Dad also doesn't think you're all that awesome like everyone else does and wants to test you without your fancy blessing.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Captain Oblivious posted:

The Echo predates that.

Also I wouldn't think too hard about the player character getting back up after death. That's just videogames, not something that's really acknowledged in the canon in any way.

Seriously, we don't die in cutscenes; so fenix downs patch us right up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Echo predates that.

Dark Souls has spoiled me when it comes to justifications for video game immortality.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
I wrapped up the main story last night, but I still don't quite get the intent of Dragon Dad.

I thought the whole time he was just being evil to be evil when he stripped the blessing, and he sure acts all menacing and foreboding when he popped up in cutscenes, but apparently he's not evil?

Also, they better reuse the Hildi stuck in the ground animation, but have it upside down and he's stuck in a ceiling, when he comes back in HW.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dubious posted:

I wrapped up the main story last night, but I still don't quite get the intent of Dragon Dad.

I thought the whole time he was just being evil to be evil when he stripped the blessing, and he sure acts all menacing and foreboding when he popped up in cutscenes, but apparently he's not evil?

Also, they better reuse the Hildi stuck in the ground animation, but have it upside down and he's stuck in a ceiling, when he comes back in HW.

It's apparently more blatant in the Japanese version while we got crazy old man ranting from him in the English localization.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dubious posted:

Hildibrand, Dragoon Extraordinaire

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dubious posted:

People are p bad at reading comprehension

Midgardsormir is one of the oldest beings in the world and implies that he is staying his hand on you and staying out of the Dragonsong War out of respect for Hydaelyn's wishes. He has stripped you of her blessing, for reasons unknown, but is big on testing you and your ability to stand on your own two feet sans-Hydaelyn so one can infer from this that while he is willing to allow you to fight his children, he wants a fair fight. He favors the dragons, but is willing to see if you are actually all you're cracked up to be.

He's a cynical old fogey who believes that elf genocide is the only probable outcome but is willing to see if the kids can hack a less lovely outcome, even if they probably can't.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Can someone with more free time than I have right now prepare A Min-Maxer's Guide To Pre-Thursday Challenge Log Preparation?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I finally started the 2.5/55 questline despite knowing what's in store for me. :negative:

At least I had a good chuckle at this

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I hope Hoary Boulder becomes a more prominent member of the Scions.

freezerburn26
Apr 4, 2011

I played back at 2.0 launch but ended up on Faerie because of all the massive queuing. I'm looking to come back and play some more. I'm currently level 35. Is it worth rerolling on excalibur to come play with you guys?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

pksage posted:

Can someone with more free time than I have right now prepare A Min-Maxer's Guide To Pre-Thursday Challenge Log Preparation?

It depends on how much time you have between Fri-Mon. Ideally you want to pop as many of them as you can on Monday (or when you hit 59, whichever comes earlier) because the XP rewards are a % of your experience to next level. The only Challenge Log you might seriously want to consider prepping is doing 9 Guildhests because it's very unlikely they'll add more in HW so you might as well get them out of the way before the expansion hits since you are Wasting Time On Poor XP/hr doing them at 50+.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Bacontotem posted:

He's all muscle. How else could he soar through the heavens in such defiance of the laws of physics on those tiny little wings?

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Dragondad is the new straight man for hildibrand 3.0 and that's why he needed to get into your head and make room for his big dragondad butt by throwing out crystalmom's stuff

that is my headcanon please vote 5/5 subscribe if you enjoyed

freezerburn26 posted:

I played back at 2.0 launch but ended up on Faerie because of all the massive queuing. I'm looking to come back and play some more. I'm currently level 35. Is it worth rerolling on excalibur to come play with you guys?

At lv35 it'll probably be easier to pay for a server transfer so you aren't wasting time doing the titan questline again. I think it's $18 or so, not cheap but it'll save you hours of low level padding content.

e: But yeah, goon fcs do try to help newer players out through content. Trying to get a group together for a story dungeon may not always get much response but you'll usually get at least part of a group with a tank or healer for faster queues. The FC chest has stuff to help new lv50 players catch up too and asking for some new gear will usually get some crafter goons to help you out.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 15, 2015

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Eej posted:

It's apparently more blatant in the Japanese version while we got crazy old man ranting from him in the English localization.

Basically. He spells out rather unambiguously that he's stripping the Blessing, which was going to fade on its own eventually, to see if you (as a mortal) will still make the right decisions and "lead Man whence the Light guides them" even though you've been cut off from Earthmom. It's a trial, to see if you're a bad enough hero to bring an end to the War.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

freezerburn26 posted:

There are already the many tales of those who are playing the game with no one because of friends leaving them be. The most enjoyable way to play the game is with goons, and you don't even have to cope with most goony behavior.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

pksage posted:

Which presumably Minfilia will tell us more about when it's *gasp* revealed that she's not dead.

plz no

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Bertram Weatherby posted:

Basically. He spells out rather unambiguously that he's stripping the Blessing, which was going to fade on its own eventually, to see if you (as a mortal) will still make the right decisions and "lead Man whence the Light guides them" even though you've been cut off from Earthmom. It's a trial, to see if you're a bad enough hero to bring an end to the War.

And the English translation can lead to all the same conclusions. One just has to actually have the ability to infer things from context! :v:

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

And the English translation can lead to all the same conclusions. One just has to actually have the ability to infer things from context! :v:

Please Be Continuing (To Read Books More Engaging Than Warhammer 40K Novels)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freezerburn26
Apr 4, 2011

GreatRedSpirit posted:

At lv35 it'll probably be easier to pay for a server transfer so you aren't wasting time doing the titan questline again. I think it's $18 or so, not cheap but it'll save you hours of low level padding content.

e: But yeah, goon fcs do try to help newer players out through content. Trying to get a group together for a story dungeon may not always get much response but you'll usually get at least part of a group with a tank or healer for faster queues. The FC chest has stuff to help new lv50 players catch up too and asking for some new gear will usually get some crafter goons to help you out.

Okay, good to know. I really want to give it another shot with the expansion dropping. I might just roll a new toon since I basically don't remember anything at all though. Are there any active goons at low levels?

• Locked thread