Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Drunk Tomato posted:

One cool thing about parking in the city though is that you can feed the meter for days at a time. We spent half our trip traveling and half in the city, so when we got there I just parked and bought a parking ticket that lasted three days. Didn't have to move my car at all until we were ready to go to the airport
There are also a few parking garages around; they're just a hassle that wasn't there earlier and really irritates me how badly placed they seem to be.

Icelanders? Not planning ahead? Who would have thought??

Max posted:

The places in the center of the city are pretty expensive, so we went with a cheaper place with parking.

Thanks for all the advice, I think we'll definitely rent a car since we both really want to go out and explore as much as we can.

DP, I can be in touch closer to the time. We're going to be in Scottland for a week before heading to Iceland. We'll be there for the first week of August.
Aight, I won't know my schedule then but hopefully I can at least do some plannin' for ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
How badly global warming will affect Iceland? Apaprently Greenland is in deep poo poo.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
I have kind of a broad question:

I last hung out in Iceland about 20 years ago. What's changed since then, culturally? I'm specifically interested in how social media has affected the reserve of Icelanders, and the drink-until-midnight-in-the-apartment-then-go-out-to-the-club/bar stuff.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ManOfTheYear posted:

How badly global warming will affect Iceland? Apaprently Greenland is in deep poo poo.
Depends; we'll have more land but the gulf stream will probs peter off; leaving us worse than when we started. We'll still have geothermal energy and greenhouses but temperatures might lower; right now we don't exactly know. But just like with all climate related things the reality is likely to be more awful than we currently think and no less irreversible.

Obdicut posted:

I have kind of a broad question:

I last hung out in Iceland about 20 years ago. What's changed since then, culturally? I'm specifically interested in how social media has affected the reserve of Icelanders, and the drink-until-midnight-in-the-apartment-then-go-out-to-the-club/bar stuff.
How have things changed since I was in primary school, hmm.

A lot. Social media has not in the least made Icelanders more reserved, more vainglorious if anything; whereas before we argued with the powerful in the letter column in newspapers we now do it on their personal blogs or more recently the comment sections on newspapers. We snapchat, we instagram remorselessly. Everyone has a facebook, most have twitter.

People drink slightly less than before; blame prices, more varied things to do or just Icelanders becoming more square. You wouldn't be able to tell from downtown though, as the absolute number has increased even if the percentage has declined. More artsy poo poo; more nerdy poo poo.

We'd hoped we'd become more left-wing and could maybe pretend to be anything but the arrogant idiot in the Nordic family but alas.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Are there any little autonomous anarchist communities in Iceland that you know of?

Every other Nordic country has at least one, I think.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Are there any little autonomous anarchist communities in Iceland that you know of?

Every other Nordic country has at least one, I think.
Alas, no. Semi-Feudal fiefdoms, sure. But no communes.

It might have something to do with the bad weather and how most of the anarchists stay in the city. The next time I meet my serious anarchist bro I'll ask him about it though; there might be some I simply don't know about.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
This is a shot in the dark, but do you know of any comprehensive English-Modern Icelandic dictionaries?

I am trying to learn your lovely language, and I would love to have an offline resource, but all the books I'm finding are from the 1800's, are less than 200 pages, or are missing declension/conjugation/other things that should definitely be in a dictionary.

e: Stuff only available from Icelandic stores that will cost me a pretty penny is fine, by the way.

So far I have:

- Icelandic: grammar, texts, glossary
- Colloquial Icelandic
- Beginner's Icelandic

None of them have the thorough dictionary I so desperately desire, though.

Noctis Horrendae fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 24, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Noctis Horrendae posted:

This is a shot in the dark, but do you know of any comprehensive English-Modern Icelandic dictionaries?

I am trying to learn your lovely language, and I would love to have an offline resource, but all the books I'm finding are from the 1800's, are less than 200 pages, or are missing declension/conjugation/other things that should definitely be in a dictionary.

e: Stuff only available from Icelandic stores that will cost me a pretty penny is fine, by the way.

So far I have:

- Icelandic: grammar, texts, glossary
- Colloquial Icelandic
- Beginner's Icelandic

None of them have the thorough dictionary I so desperately desire, though.
I have been a near-native English speaker for the majority of my life, furthermore I've always learned languages through talking, not reading, so I never actually acquired enough English-Icelandic dictionaries to actually compare them.

Usually people just ask me, tbh.

Did you try http://www.ordabok.is/ ?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Nah, I'm looking for an offline, physical dictionary. I'll keep that one in mind, though - thanks!

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Hello there! My wife and I spent 4 days in Iceland earlier this month and I have a question about a tale that was told to us by our Golden Circle tour guide. I ask because I think a lot was lost in translation and the moral or really... most of the story didn't make sense. This was a story involving a giant or troll that lived up in the mountains and had a beautiful bride. I think the lady like to go down into a town that was down in the valleys. Well she died. I think she was buried in the town. The giant asked the townspeople to bury him in the town (next to his wife I think??) when he dies. He promised a lot of gold to anybody that helps. Well when he died the people marched up the hill/mountain to move the giant (he was very heavy). They found no gold up in the giant's cave. There were just bags of dirt, herbs, and vegetation. Well one of the guys took a handful of this dirt/vegetation stuff and put it in his pocket... for some reason (or at least our guide didn't have a good reason). Everybody was sour about there being no gold.... but they moved the giant anyway. When they got the giant down the hill the guy that stuffed his pocket with dirt/vegetation reached into his pocket and found it full of gold. Everybody raced up the mountain to find that the rest of the dirt had not turned into gold! Everybody was sour about it... but the guy who stuffed his pocket with the dirt/vegetation got to keep his gold.

I don't get it... have you ever heard anything like that or perhaps I was just hallucinating??

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The moral is to keep your word and faith and be very happy with what little you get because later it will be good stuff. Probably a jesus influenced older story. Don't do things just outta obligation.

You get a lot of those stories in places where you toil a life of poo poo, then die ignominiously as a faceless serf, if you don't descend into complete national depression like the Russians did.

Also I haven't heard that story; it sounds like a Southerner or West-person story; thems folks is odd.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

What's the one about the treasure in Seljalandsfoss or Skogafoss, I can't remember

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Cacafuego posted:

What's the one about the treasure in Seljalandsfoss or Skogafoss, I can't remember
Skógafoss; the guy there, Þrasi, was a viking par excellans, hid his treasure behind the waterfall (it wasn't that unoriginal back in the day ok?) so as to not get murdered and robbed in he sleep, promptly fails to spend any of it or tell anyone where it is before he croaks, then is later found by a fumblefingers who loses everything but the handle of the chest with the treasure to the waterfall.

~And if you look at teh waterfall as the sun shineth, thou cans't still see the golde shining thru~

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I've accepted an apprenticeship and will be moving to the Reykjansbær area sometime soon. What's my best bet on integrating properly? I was there a few months ago as an intern and my colleagues are great people, but it seems a bit short on entertainment options since it's a fair bit off from Reykjavik.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

So I've accepted an apprenticeship and will be moving to the Reykjansbær area sometime soon. What's my best bet on integrating properly? I was there a few months ago as an intern and my colleagues are great people, but it seems a bit short on entertainment options since it's a fair bit off from Reykjavik.
Arright, first, if you haven't joined this group, do so. Secondly, I'm just gonna assume you're a nerd 'cause you're on SA and I'm big on generalizations and suggest you try and find a boardgame/roleplaying group in the area. Get some gaming buddies maybe, dudes speak a lot of English. There's more chances for this in Reykjavík, but the bus isn't that frequent so it's an option but one that comes with the caveat that stuff earlier in the day works better for you, unless you're staying the night.

If you don't drink, please start doing so. Icelanders are at their most approachable when drinking. They're also at their most violent but you know, thems the breaks.

Otherwise, I don't really know. Reykjanesbær is pretty far off from my turf, so I'm not familiar with what to do around there. Keflavík has some more stuff too I suppose?

Or hang around their KFC and loudly mention you, too, are American and hope someone will also love you as much as they love delicious fried chicken.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Arright, first, if you haven't joined this group, do so. Secondly, I'm just gonna assume you're a nerd 'cause you're on SA and I'm big on generalizations and suggest you try and find a boardgame/roleplaying group in the area. Get some gaming buddies maybe, dudes speak a lot of English. There's more chances for this in Reykjavík, but the bus isn't that frequent so it's an option but one that comes with the caveat that stuff earlier in the day works better for you, unless you're staying the night.

If you don't drink, please start doing so. Icelanders are at their most approachable when drinking. They're also at their most violent but you know, thems the breaks.

Otherwise, I don't really know. Reykjanesbær is pretty far off from my turf, so I'm not familiar with what to do around there. Keflavík has some more stuff too I suppose?

Or hang around their KFC and loudly mention you, too, are American and hope someone will also love you as much as they love delicious fried chicken.

Thanks, I appreciate it. When I was there on the internship I got invited to some boardgame sessions and it was nice, my colleagues are very welcoming and open people :)

Gotta say though that most of the stuff being posted in that Facebook group looks like lovely drama.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Thanks, I appreciate it. When I was there on the internship I got invited to some boardgame sessions and it was nice, my colleagues are very welcoming and open people :)

Gotta say though that most of the stuff being posted in that Facebook group looks like lovely drama.

Ehh, yea, right now it's like that.

I forgot the swimming pool. Hang around the hot tubs, talk to old people.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I'm trying to catch up with the thread since I love Iceland for a bunch of reasons but I'd like to ask you about two in particualr coz they're among the ones I love(d) most in my life: Sigur Ròs and EVE Online. I was wondering which is the national perspective about them though.

I know that despite Sigur Ròs being far beyond any other music band ever (in my opinion) some in Iceland consider it quite a cliche, almost like postcards for tourists, while the real icelandic music is totally different, and I'm talking modern music not traditional chants like Rimur and whatnot.

As regards EVE online, I'm a nerd loving nerdy things so I'm quite confident most people in Iceland don't give a drat about EVE Online or any other virtual world made of pixels as a whole, still it's quite a unique universe even among the ones made of pixels and bytes pinging over the internet and it made history in more than a way. Do you know that? Do you all worship Hillmar and CCP as the bunch of horrible but amazing devs they are? Check this out before answering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5xvkAPXB9c)

Then I'd have all sort of other foolish things I'm curious about but I'll try to harass you one bit at a time.

froody guy fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 6, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It's mostly just rock and pop like everywhere. Some rap maybe, some godawful reggae. Activist music.

Sigurrós make good music. Many people like them. They had a free concert many went to but as far as I remember they've parted ways; at least the singer is doing a lot of solo work.

There haven't been many copy-cats, but they're recognizable by just about everyone.

As for ol' CCP, almost every gamer has at one point or another tried out the game; they gave out those free trials out like candy way back. I got gatejumped and unsubbed after that; it was ok I guess but I was always more of a story dude when it came to games. Younger people know about the game and thanks to Evefest errybody in the capital knows at least what it about.

Btw he name is Hilmar, not Hillmar. This is important to me.

and ask away dude, I'm swamped with work but I'll try and answer when I can

VVV

Yea, Freudian Slippers list is pretty fab

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 7, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=PLWtmSuQIrZMTCTtGjuZQI2zzp9OmgMRhh

This playlist has a decent mix of Icelandic music both new and old from various genres.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 7, 2015

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Are there any fairly popular Icelandic forums?

I'm basically looking for an easy way to practice the language.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Forums.SomeþingAwful.com

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=PLWtmSuQIrZMTCTtGjuZQI2zzp9OmgMRhh

This playlist has a decent mix of Icelandic music both new and old from various genres.

:golfclap:

Man, this is RAD!! Seriously, from punk to reggae, from hip hop to romance ballads, you've got them all and they're fracking awesome. Now I've listened to it only once but the Magas ballad has already unsaddled my previously favourite male&female-struggling-voices-duo or whatever you wanna call it, from Cowboy Junkies this one.

Lemme go replay it

froody guy fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 9, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Are there any fairly popular Icelandic forums?

I'm basically looking for an easy way to practice the language.
hugi.is? I dunno, I don't really hang around Icelandic forums since I was a teen.

Quarex posted:

Forums.SomeþingAwful.com

froody guy posted:

Man, this is RAD!! Seriously, from punk to reggae, from hip hop to romance ballads, you've got them all and they're fracking awesome. Now I've listened to it only once but the Magas ballad has already unsaddled my previously favourite male&female-struggling-voices-duo or whatever you wanna call it, from Cowboy Junkies this one.

Lemme go replay it
I'd also mebbe recommend Ampop, FM Belfast and Moses Hightower which aren't on that list but are also very my poo poo.

Oh yea I remembered this song it is extremely baller and about walking into the sea, basically a suicide letter in music form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAwS2Zs59lc

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 9, 2015

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

I'm curious as to why there was the shift from Danish to English for the secondary language.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

The Experiment posted:

I'm curious as to why there was the shift from Danish to English for the secondary language.
I've heard it was because Icelanders were finally going more widely abroad than just to the Nordics, which is why we learned Danish; I'll ask some old teachers I know when I have the chance.

Globalization and whatnot.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I've heard it was because Icelanders were finally going more widely abroad than just to the Nordics, which is why we learned Danish; I'll ask some old teachers I know when I have the chance.

Globalization and whatnot.

Though I don't know about the shift, I thought the reason for why Icelanders learned Danish was part of an agreement or something made after Iceland declared independence. Teaching the Danish language was an effort to keep the relationship between the countries good, that Icelanders would still keep in touch with Denmark.

But that's what I was told in school during sixth grade, so take it with a grain of salt.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

As much as I love to dislike Denmark and Danish, having to speak English to our cousins in the north is, by far, much much worse. Danish might be a horrible language that sounds like a drowning frog, but at least it's one of the Nordic languages. It's really sad, IMO :(

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Also a lot of people still go to university in Denmark although I think the Danish changed the laws to give a lot fewer benefits for Icelandic students in Denmark.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Allright lemme see if I can throw in the ring my longly pondered foolish questions, list is for ease of answerability (drat does this word even exist?)

1- I want to drive my car/caravan/schoolbus/tank to Iceland, which is the highway exit? :colbert:
Seriously, I've seen there are organized trips (I reckon from Denmark, Sweden and Ireland, is that right?) but those are more like cruises, super long and super expensive. Isn't there any way to rech you via ferry, like a real goddamn ferryboat where I can store my car in and pay a reasonable amount of cash for?

2- Do you have bums or Darwin prevents that? I mean, I guess it's not easy surviving an Icelandic winter sleeping on benches.

3- How cold is a typical Icelandic winter? Is it too cold to get snowy? Dunno maybe for you snow means warm weather, coz usually it rains ice darts and wind razors up there. At least during wintertime.

4- How much does a kg of cherries cost?

5- How much a gram of weed?

6- How much to rent a room in Reykjavik (for few months not days, like regular rent not tourists')?

7- Are main roads kept open during wintertime? I 'm talking freeways, I don't know how you call them there, but tose that connect different towns and places, not those within them. Or getting stuck somewhere in between means certain death?

8- Is there any seasonal job? Summer looks like a good time to go fishing, but maybe winter is too.

9- Chances of survivability in the long term without speaking Icelandic?

froody guy fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 12, 2015

dor1
Jun 5, 2011
1. Smyril Line (http://www.smyrilline.com/) has as ferry that sails from somewhere in Denmark and stops in the Faroe Islands along the way (to the best of my knowledge anyway, never been myself)

2. I assume they sleep in some sort of social housing, but i'm not sure.

3. In the southern part of the country the winters aren't that bad really. Generally only mildly cold and not to snowy. But this varies year from year.

4. A quick google search showed that frozen cherries are 1140kr about $8.6 (Local store is closed, cant just go and check)

5. I don't smoke but a rehab center does a price check every once in a while and according to them it's about $25

6. I don't live in Reykjavík, so i don't know.

7. Most roads are kept open, but sometimes roads do close because of snow/avalanches/mudslides. The Road Administration has a very informative website where you can check the status of most roads (Closed, clear, a bit icy, very icy, snowy etc)

8. During the summer quite a few ships stop fishing because the owners have run out of quota and figure it's a good time to do some maintenance that would be too time consuming to be done 'in season'. But in the past few years the trawlers have been modified to fish mackerel since it's in Icelandic territorial waters, but since a shitload of people want to be on those trawlers (because of the high pay) you may need to know someone to get a spot on one of those.

9. Very high. I've worked with foreigners who have lived in Iceland for >10 yrs and barely speak a word of icelandic.

dor1 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 12, 2015

dor1
Jun 5, 2011
i am retarded and i double post.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
dor1 once again doing my work for me while I work. :v:

There are street-people, yes. And many of them do die in the winter because of inadequate shelters, but not all. I remember when the social services were better we had none but alas, the changing culture on the right here in Iceland means that money for things like housing for the homeless isn't around.

The winters in general have been getting worse; before it was rare to see heavy snow in the south, but it's happened a few times now over the last few years, alongside with storm level winds. Nothing compared to much of the Nordics or Americas or even the Mainland, but still very cold thanks to the wind.

I don't smoke weed, I get my consumables from friends on occasion when they make some though, but no idea about price. Not a question I'd wanna ask them online either, considering the cops were snooping around how to monitor skype poo poo earlier.

A room? Depends. Around 80-ish K maybe; I've seen lower rent and I've seen higher. Don't remember where to check.

And yea, like dor1 said, we keep the main roads open if at all feasible. It's rare you can't get your way around at least by going through some side-paths.

And aside from fisheries, there's also shitloads of tourist related jobs. Depending on your skills, you might be able to snag one of those. (The bus companies always need more drivers, for instance)

And lastly, you can survive that way, but never integrate. Integration can be tough enough when you get a good grasp of the language, without it you can function, but only as an appendix to society.

dor1 posted:

i am retarded and i double post.
Nah, yer arright. So is Freudian, for what its worth.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I can confirm number 1 - MS Norröna sails from Hirtshals, Denmark, via the Faroes, and arrives in Seyðisfjørður. The stop in the Faroes can be a few days, depending on when you leave Denmark. Prices are Scandinavian, ie expensive as gently caress, so pack some food for the trip if you're travelling on a budget. There is a reasonably priced cantina on the ferry, but the food there sucks., so don't go there. If you're not on a budget, visit the restaurants. One's a la carte, the other's a buffet - both are great.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

dor1 posted:

9. Very high. I've worked with foreigners who have lived in Iceland for >10 yrs and barely speak a word of icelandic.

Really? From which countries? In your experience, are there certain categories of foreigners that are more willing to learn the local language than others?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've had my housing arranged for me but I'm gonna be paying 90k for the top floor of a house. That's not in Reykjavik though, it's near Keflavik but it seems reasonable enough to me because it's actually relatively large.

I fly out on Tuesday, I'm super excited about it but it's gonna be a busy few months before I get settled in. I think the thing I'm most nervous about is how well I'll mesh in socially.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Kopijeger posted:

Really? From which countries? In your experience, are there certain categories of foreigners that are more willing to learn the local language than others?

Mostly from Poland, but that's because they are (by far) the biggest immigrant group.

What happens is that there is a group of Poles/Lithuanians/whatever and one of them speaks Icelandic, so that person is taken along to translate, but some of them do know a bit of English, but that is massively dependent on age.

I worked with a Brit who has lived here for not terribly long and he spoke alright Icelandic, and when in doubt he just asked me to speak slower.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I've had my housing arranged for me but I'm gonna be paying 90k for the top floor of a house. That's not in Reykjavik though, it's near Keflavik but it seems reasonable enough to me because it's actually relatively large.

I fly out on Tuesday, I'm super excited about it but it's gonna be a busy few months before I get settled in. I think the thing I'm most nervous about is how well I'll mesh in socially.
When you settle down, you can mebbe hit me up. I have my hands hella full now and work is a bit tense, but I'll see how it goes.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

When you settle down, you can mebbe hit me up. I have my hands hella full now and work is a bit tense, but I'll see how it goes.

Cool. I'm working long shifts for the forseeable future but I'll probably be settled in late August.

My fears were unfounded because everyone at work has been super good about including me in social gatherings. I'm staying in a guest room with one of them until I get my apartment on the 1st of August. I'd still like to branch out and get some contacts outside of work but until poo poo cools down in Grindavik (there's a mad rush for renovations from all the fishing industries right now) I won't have the time. Iceland is pretty cool so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Cool. I'm working long shifts for the forseeable future but I'll probably be settled in late August.

My fears were unfounded because everyone at work has been super good about including me in social gatherings. I'm staying in a guest room with one of them until I get my apartment on the 1st of August. I'd still like to branch out and get some contacts outside of work but until poo poo cools down in Grindavik (there's a mad rush for renovations from all the fishing industries right now) I won't have the time. Iceland is pretty cool so far.

I can only speak to the activity within Þorbjörn, but right now the activity is average for mid-late july, ie people just now realizing that stuff is supposed to be ready by August.

• Locked thread