Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I think we're missing the obvious thing about their disgust for trans people in that they seem to think everyone who is trans gets their dick crudely chopped off in some slapdash plastic surgery clinic and that makes them uncomfortable. All they care about is the genitals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Read the freep thread (don't. save yourself.) any time they're talking about gay rights.

All anus all day.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Keeshhound posted:

This is the pertinent part. A group's influence rests less on it's size, and more on how loud it is. Especially when participation in politics is still a pretty low priority for most people (recent Presidential election turnout is something like %60; it's a lot lower for senate and congressional elections.)

That's also a massive deal in that a lot of governing actually happens at lower levels. I kind of wonder if this is why the right is so adamant on destroying the federal government. If you look at population America is mostly liberal at this point. If you go by land area alone it's mostly conservative. I think this is also why the right is playing up this whole "we're good salt of the earth people" angle so hard and vilifying anything that's highly educated or lives in a city.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Guavanaut posted:

Read the freep thread (don't. save yourself.) any time they're talking about gay rights.

All anus all day.

Anus all day you say?

:pervert:

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Thump! posted:

Anus all day you say?

:pervert:

Your average Freeper thinks about gay sex more than your average gay person.

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010

Technical Analysis posted:

Your average Freeper thinks about gay sex more than your average gay person.

Your average Freeper thinks about gay sex more than the total population of San Francisco.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So uh...I shouldn't vote for Hillary Liberal Logic...any uh...any word on who I SHOULD vote for? No?

Coffee And Pie posted:

Christ.

So I have a political question, because I'm having trouble finding an answer. I live with my super-conservative parents, and I decided I should be a grownup and register to vote. Will they send me any mail or anything outwardly indicating I registered democrat? I just don't want my parents to know, they'd be super annoying.

Dude they're your parents and you live with them: register Republican, agree with whatever they say, and vote however you want. Don't be a Freeper and have family trouble over politics.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Duke Igthorn posted:

So uh...I shouldn't vote for Hillary Liberal Logic...any uh...any word on who I SHOULD vote for? No?

Dude they're your parents and you live with them: register Republican, agree with whatever they say, and vote however you want. Don't be a Freeper and have family trouble over politics.

Is he in an open primary state?

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Duke Igthorn posted:

Freeper alienation comes from an inability to not talk about really toxic politics, even when it's a complete non-sequitur.

Register however you want. Just don't be a poo poo about it/bring it up all the time.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Duke Igthorn posted:

Bernie. I mean, isn't that kind of obvious?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Remember how they were pushing Scott Walker crazy hard a few weeks ago? That bandwagon sure broke down fast.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Julio Cruz posted:

Remember how they were pushing Scott Walker crazy hard a few weeks ago? That bandwagon sure broke down fast.

What happened? I didn't hear of any like, massive career-ending scandal involving him, and it's not like the GoP won't push a personality-deficient rich white dude as their choice.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

AdjectiveNoun posted:

What happened? I didn't hear of any like, massive career-ending scandal involving him, and it's not like the GoP won't push a personality-deficient rich white dude as their choice.

There are so many people with skin in the game now it's hard to focus on any one person. Last I heard the candidate and likely candidate list was over 20 white guys, 2 hispanic guys, a negro, an Indian, and a woman.

Much like the breakdown of their constituency. :smug:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'd say they saw sense, but since then they seem to have switched to Ted Cruz, soooo........

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I hope the Republican presidential primary goes just like 2012: massive amount of support for crazy candidates that swells and quickly collapses, each candidate crazier than the previously popular one, till they settle for the "electable" person who then loses.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

cheerfullydrab posted:

I hope the Republican presidential primary goes just like 2012: massive amount of support for crazy candidates that swells and quickly collapses, each candidate crazier than the previously popular one, till they settle for the "electable" person who then loses.

I am worried that Jeb Bush might beat Hillary just because the sheer amount of lies the GOP has thrown at Clinton seem to finally be working at damaging her popularity. So I hope Cruz gets the nomination so Clinton can smash him. (I'd prefer if Bernie Sanders got the Dem nomination but that's not likely)

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Tea party facebook friend having a banner day:

http://conservativetribune.com/judge-baltimore-prosecutor/
http://madworldnews.com/couple-shot-at-by-muslims/
http://conservativetribune.com/illegal-sues-first-responders/
http://aclj.org/free-speech/federal...al&sf38663553=1
http://conservativetribune.com/obama-did-bin-laden/
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303480304579578462813553136
http://conservativetribune.com/16-year-old-raped-strangled/

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Not if we send you to the camps first, Ali :clint:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

WHERE WERE THE PROTESTS WHEN THE PERPETRATORS WERE CAUGHT AND THEIR GUILT WAS ASSURED BASED ON A MOUNTAIN OF EVIDENCE? HUH???

Jesus christ, these idiots don't even know what the gently caress the word protest means.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

AdjectiveNoun posted:

People heard about him, thought they had a winner, then saw him.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Coffee And Pie posted:

Christ.

So I have a political question, because I'm having trouble finding an answer. I live with my super-conservative parents, and I decided I should be a grownup and register to vote. Will they send me any mail or anything outwardly indicating I registered democrat? I just don't want my parents to know, they'd be super annoying.

The DNC likes to send out a bazillion emails and oline newsletters, but in general you should be fine.

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

Facebook brilliance

edit: repost I see, so thats how social media works...

703 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 16, 2015

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
No matter how many times the pictures and tags on that image are changed, the "Sooo," at the end is my stable rock of smugness.

El Anansi
Jan 27, 2008

703 posted:

Facebook brilliance

edit: repost I see, so thats how social media works...

Looks like a good opening to ask about their opinions on tort reform, what with medical malpractice being such a horrifically-prevalent thing and all.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The 195 Thousand figure is from a 2004 study by Healthgrades a private company that rates hospitals.

I'm just picking through the studies trying to find relevant data. Their methodology changes from year to year

http://www.healthgrades.com/quality/archived-reports

Here's the 2004 study:
https://www.cpmhealthgrades.com/CPM/assets/File/PatientSafetyInAmericanHospitalsReport2004.pdf
"Using this finding and excluding obstetric patients, we calculated that an extra $19 billion was spent, and over 575,000 preventable deaths occurred, as a direct result of the 2.5 million patient safety incidents that occurred in U.S. hospitals from 2000 through 2002."
191,000 per year I think they're using their medicare data to extrapolate to the entire US healthcare system.

Patient Safety Incidents and Their Attributable Mortality and Excess Charge Among
Medicare Beneficiaries by PSI from 2000-2002
Actual Number of National Incidents: 1,141,472
Number of Deaths Attributable to a PSI (Attributable Mortality**): 263,864
87,954 per year.

2005 Study:
https://www.cpmhealthgrades.com/CPM/assets/File/PatientSafetyInAmericanHospitalsReport2005.pdf
2001-2003 Total Patients with one or more patient safety incidents: 1,112,536
2001-2003 Total Deaths with one or more patient safety incidents: 298,865
99,621 per year

2006 Study:
https://www.cpmhealthgrades.com/CPM/assets/File/PatientSafetyInAmericanHospitalsStudy2006.pdf
2002-2004
1,239,001 Total Incidents
304,702 Associated Mortality
101,567 per year

2007 Study
https://www.cpmhealthgrades.com/CPM/assets/File/PatientSafetyInAmericanHospitalsStudy2007.pdf
2003-2005
1,160,184 Incidents
284,798 Deaths
94,932 per year

2008 Study
https://www.cpmhealthgrades.com/CPM/assets/File/PatientSafetyInAmericanHospitalsStudy2008.pdf
2004-2006
1,123,497 Incidents
270,491 Deaths
90,163 per year

2009 Study
https://www.cpmhealthgrades.com/CPM/assets/File/PatientSafetyInAmericanHospitalsStudy2009.pdf
2005-2007
864,765 Incidents
97,755 Deaths
32,585 per year,
It looks like they way "Failure to Rescue" is defined has been changed because the numbers changed dramatically.
"Additionally, HealthGrades modified the failure to rescue patient group by excluding cancer patients–
patients having any ICD-9 code between 140.0 and 208.9 or between 230.0 and 239.9. (AHRQ now
refers to failure to rescue as death among surgical inpatients with serious treatable complications.)
HealthGrades also removed hospitals in the U.S. territories and Puerto Rico from the data set."

2010 Study
https://www.cpmhealthgrades.com/CPM/assets/File/PatientSafetyInAmericanHospitalsStudy2010.pdf
2006-2008
908,401 Incidents
99,180 Deaths
33060 Per year

2011 Study
https://www.cpmhealthgrades.com/CPM/assets/File/HealthGradesPatientSafetyInAmericanHospitalsStudy2011.pdf
2007-2009
667,828 Incidents
79,670 Deaths
26,556 Per Year

Here's the 2012 study:
https://www.cpmhealthgrades.com/CPM/assets/File/HealthGradesPatientSafetySatisfactionReport2012.pdf
2008-2010
254,200 Incidents
56,367 Deaths
18,789 Per Year

We had a huge public health problem. We did a lot of research, developed programs and increased education. Over time the problem got fixed. Let's do that with gun violence!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Note first that an error does not indicate that it went to court, or that a payment was made, or anything like that. That's just the deaths from medical errors (which is actually around the right number, strangely enough). Malpractice suits are less common, and many don't go anywhere.

However, I don't know how deaths due to medical errors are at all connected to a piece of legislation passed a few years ago when the best data we have relies on studies done prior to the passage of the ACA.

Of course, I'm stupid, and medical errors never happened prior to the ACA.

Here's the study I'm familiar with.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Note first that an error does not indicate that it went to court, or that a payment was made, or anything like that. That's just the deaths from medical errors (which is actually around the right number, strangely enough). Malpractice suits are less common, and many don't go anywhere.

However, I don't know how deaths due to medical errors are at all connected to a piece of legislation passed a few years ago when the best data we have relies on studies done prior to the passage of the ACA.

Of course, I'm stupid, and medical errors never happened prior to the ACA.

Is that number accurate? My research shows much smaller numbers.

Edit:
Dammit you're some sort of mind reader.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
What amuses me is that the author sorta blames the American health system for the problem.

quote:

At the national level, our country is distinguished for its patchwork of medical care subsystems that can require patients to bounce around in a complex maze of providers as they seek effective and affordable care. Because of increased production demands, providers may be expected to give care in suboptimal working conditions, with decreased staff, and a shortage of physicians, which leads to fatigue and burnout. It should be no surprise that PAEs that harm patients are frighteningly common in this highly technical, rapidly changing, and poorly integrated industry. The picture is further complicated by a lack of transparency and limited accountability for errors that harm patients.

THANKS OBAMA. Wait what?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Wait, where are they getting 323 gun deaths from? I just looked up the numbers from 2013 and there are 505 firearm deaths from accidental discharge alone. Homicides are 11,208 and suicides are 21,175. So they are mistating the number of gun deaths by a factor of 10. Did they go through and pull out numbers just for when someone intentionally killed someone with an AR-15 or something?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Ashcans posted:

Wait, where are they getting 323 gun deaths from? I just looked up the numbers from 2013 and there are 505 firearm deaths from accidental discharge alone. Homicides are 11,208 and suicides are 21,175. So they are mistating the number of gun deaths by a factor of 10. Did they go through and pull out numbers just for when someone intentionally killed someone with an AR-15 or something?

It's been a while since I looked it up, but I think that number is just murders using rifles, and doesn't include pistols or other guns.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ashcans posted:

they're just taking all deaths from rifles (assuming you will interpret that as all guns) and comparing it to all deaths by blunt objects and all deaths by stabbing/cutting objects

the number of rifles used in crimes and violence is pretty small, which is why they're completely ignoring handguns

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8

That's where the numbers come from, IIRC.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I sort of get why they talk about rifles, they're often a focus in gun control discussions because of the way they're used in mass murders.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I sort of get why they talk about rifles, they're often a focus in gun control discussions because of the way they're used in mass murders.
You're giving the authors way too much credit. There's a reason why they constantly use pictures of rifles instead of the word "rifle" in these images, and it's not because they're trying to make a nuanced point about gun violence.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tibeerius posted:

You're giving the authors way too much credit. There's a reason why they constantly use pictures of rifles instead of the word "rifle" in these images, and it's not because they're trying to make a nuanced point about gun violence.

poo poo, I just noticed that. I could have sworn that it said rifle. That's super deceptive.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
That Trump announcement. What a time to be alive!

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Grimdude posted:

That Trump announcement. What a time to be alive!

I wonder how many more times he can force himself into the public sphere before everybody loses interest?

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

A Bad King posted:

I wonder how many more times he can force himself into the public sphere before everybody loses interest?

He's managed to keep at it, on-and-off, for around 4 decades now. People never seem to fully lose interest.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

e_angst posted:

He's managed to keep at it, on-and-off, for around 4 decades now. People never seem to fully lose interest.

"Make America Gooder Again" is his campaign slogan. jfc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

A Bad King posted:

"Make America Gooder Again" is his campaign slogan. jfc...

Maybe he needs to spend all of his money (2 or 3 times I guess) to qualify for his even more massive inheritance?