Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
I hope the wraiths from D3 come back cause I thought they were pretty cool :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Yeah, I'm of the mind that the new Doom still looks kinda iffy, like there's a wealth of potential that hasn't been fully realized yet. It lacks that sense of speed and intensity that you get from tearing through tough maps; the gunplay's solid but still needs a bit more ooomph, super shotgun aside. Also, the focus on using melee finishers to recover health and ammo can break the flow of things. And where's the pistol?

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Grimthwacker posted:

Also, the focus on using melee finishers to recover health and ammo can break the flow of things. And where's the pistol?
It looks like enemies drop health and ammo regardless of how they're killed. I really hope that's the case because I want to stay as far away from those finishers as I can.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It would be hilarious if the finishers actually result in less health/ammo popping out.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

RyokoTK posted:

Not if you listened to this thread, it wouldn't.

I didn't see any new ideas in the current iteration either, though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm excited for Doom 4 after that. It looks like it comes halfway between Doom and Bulletstorm, and I think that's fantastic. The weapons sounded a little weak, but maybe that's because we weren't there (also the plasma gun has always sounded weak).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Would it really be that hard to make a game that actually played like the old ones with more modern graphics. I still play through Doom II once a year because it's so good.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Nintendo Kid posted:

It would be hilarious if the finishers actually result in less health/ammo popping out.
I'd actually be completely okay with this, like the ironsights in SS3 and the RotT reboot that don't actually do anything except make it harder to see what you're aiming at.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

catlord posted:

(also the plasma gun has always sounded weak).

wow

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TerminusEst13 posted:

Zandronum's mouse controls are in Options > Mouse Options.
Crosshairs are baked in (Options > Display Options or Options > HUD options depending on the build you're using).

Thanks! I rooted around the options and couldn't find them, then the first Google result was a thread from last year full of people complaining about people asking for menu mouse controls to be backported. :v:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Nintendo Kid posted:

Maybe it was just me but it looked like the more you gib the more stuff pops out.

Also perhaps you guys should take a breather from deconstructing all gameplay from a 3 minute scripted demo of one section of the game lol. I'm sure we haven't seen all the goods yet.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Groovelord Neato posted:

Would it really be that hard to make a game that actually played like the old ones with more modern graphics. I still play through Doom II once a year because it's so good.

That exists, it's GZDoom with those 3d model packs

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

gas this thread please

How about you just stop posting in it if you hate it so much?

Anyway I think the primary issue with something like Doom 4 is that while people like Romero and Hall winged their way through designing a game and did whatever they thought was cool. modern game designers go to schools and absorb what is basically a game design pedagogy, received wisdom on Correct Game Design. However this conventional wisdom is worse than useless when it comes to classic FPS games.

For instance, it's orthodox today that the player must never end up in a situation where the only possible way out is to be killed. While Doom scrapped arcade features like lives and score, it kept restarting the level with starting equipment if you die instead of being booted back to a save or the menu. This is important--the game actually expects you to die and pistol start the level if you run out of resources.

It's also conventional wisdom that you can't have a large section of content that many players will never see. I don't think I even need to elaborate on this one's relevance to Doom.

The "cinematic" authorial control over the pace and choreography of gameplay, the color scheme, this is all the Correct Way to design an FPS in 2015 according to the industry. They'll tell you the stuff that makes Doom Doom is bad practice, and create reductive nonsense like Carmack's "demons and shotguns" remark to define Doom instead of ignoring 20 years of best practices and going without a rulebook.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

That exists, it's GZDoom with those 3d model packs

But, like, I want new levels and stuff. Y'know an offish sequel.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They could make Doom 2 except in HD, but would you really buy Doom 2 again, and could you convince someone who never played a Doom game before to play it?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Groovelord Neato posted:

There are a bazillion level packs for doom 2 which are better than the fairly lovely base levels.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Woolie Wool posted:

Anyway I think the primary issue with something like Doom 4 is that while people like Romero and Hall winged their way through designing a game and did whatever they thought was cool. modern game designers go to schools and absorb what is basically a game design pedagogy, received wisdom on Correct Game Design. However this conventional wisdom is worse than useless when it comes to classic FPS games.

For instance, it's orthodox today that the player must never end up in a situation where the only possible way out is to be killed. While Doom scrapped arcade features like lives and score, it kept restarting the level with starting equipment if you die instead of being booted back to a save or the menu. This is important--the game actually expects you to die and pistol start the level if you run out of resources.

It's also conventional wisdom that you can't have a large section of content that many players will never see. I don't think I even need to elaborate on this one's relevance to Doom.

The "cinematic" authorial control over the pace and choreography of gameplay, the color scheme, this is all the Correct Way to design an FPS in 2015 according to the industry. They'll tell you the stuff that makes Doom Doom is bad practice, and create reductive nonsense like Carmack's "demons and shotguns" remark to define Doom instead of ignoring 20 years of best practices and going without a rulebook.

Congratulations, you managed to be a pretentious hipster about loving DOOM.

e: fart

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Elliotw2 posted:

They could make Doom 2 except in HD, but would you really buy Doom 2 again, and could you convince someone who never played a Doom game before to play it?

When you make a sequel to something your first audience should be the fans of that something. I know that isn't the case in reality (cast a wide net usually) but that's sort of the point of a sequel.

RyokoTK posted:

It's not pretense when it's true.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RyokoTK posted:

Great post

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
There is so much wank over the untouchable perfection of Doom in this thread that I'm surprised you lot haven't jerked yourselves to death.

Like, Doom 4's not even out yet, but there are probably half a dozen people in this thread suffering apoplexy over the fact that it isn't literally just a rerelease of Doom 1.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

It's really just a loud laser pew-pew played really fast. It's not bad, it's just not very powerful sounding. It wouldn't look or sound out of place in a '50's sci-fi movie.

This sounds like I'm bashing it, but I really do like it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Groovelord Neato posted:

There are over 8000 level WADs in the /idgames archive. Many of those cotnain as much a s a full game replacement instead of a single level. Several hundred of them have had original iD level design staff express approval of their design.

:shrug:

Elliotw2 posted:

I would probably pay for an iD-official 3D model pack finally coming out where they got the original artists to dig out the original models and drawings to fulyl 3d-ize all the official monsters, maybe.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Why aren't the Revenants wearing red gym shorts???

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
This thread is grounded, and has had its E3 privileges revoked.
Can we please stop getting lovely about a remake-in-name-only of a game we all very dearly love and have strong opinions about?
Let's focus on good things, like id soon being freed up to do something... Original? Or, perhaps, let us focus on some notable new content for classic games that we all enjoy, such as

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Who actually gives a poo poo about Id. They consist of Tim Willits and some hacks right out of university.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

I think the old "winging it" feel of old game design has it's own special charms that the game theory stuff lacks these days. Quake 1 is technically a design disaster, but it's so much fun that it manages to override the design issues.

RyokoTK posted:

There is so much wank over the untouchable perfection of Doom in this thread that I'm surprised you lot haven't jerked yourselves to death.

Like, Doom 4's not even out yet, but there are probably half a dozen people in this thread suffering apoplexy over the fact that it isn't literally just a rerelease of Doom 1.

I feel there's too much Doom circlejerking, but to me that's because it's more because people don't broaden their classic FPS horizons beyond Doom. Doom is good, yes, but I think other games do parts of it noticably better.

I remember one guy on 4chan saying that Doom is the FInal Fantasy 7 of FPS games, with all the good and bad that implies. It really hits the mark in regards to how people treat Doom.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Super Mario Galaxy sucks. Mushrooms don't make him big, he has a dumb spin attack, and a health meter??? Why isn't it like Mario 3, the platformer that got everything right??

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Honestly I'd be more sympathetic to "make a new Doom that's basically just a straight HD remake of Doom 2" if iD had been fuckos that never released the source code, so we didn't have sourceports and the only way to play Doom on a modern computer was DOSBOX or the buggy Doom95 version.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Did someone mention Corridor 7? Would loving love a Corridor 7 remake actually. Complete w/ purple floors and eyeball monsters.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I want my Ken's Labrynth remake you motherfuckers.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Marathon

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Thanks! I rooted around the options and couldn't find them, then the first Google result was a thread from last year full of people complaining about people asking for menu mouse controls to be backported. :v:

It was probably a different thing, about using the mouse to control the menu, and not the menu to control the mouse. :v:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

MONKET posted:

Did someone mention Corridor 7? Would loving love a Corridor 7 remake actually. Complete w/ purple floors and eyeball monsters.

I have fond memories of playing Corridor 7, I wouldn't mind one bit.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Imagine Ken's next gen engine showing off Ken's Labyrinth II. Halls and halls of ultra-realistic volumetric lighting casting realistic rays of light onto procedurally generated models of Ken Silverman's face for all of the wall textures.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Well, here's new Shadow Warrior if that's a better topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSeBcZR2pI8

Check out that sweet reload animation at about 30 seconds in :haw:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Oh wow those weapons seem way more fun to use than whatever the hell they were going for in the first game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

It was probably a different thing, about using the mouse to control the menu, and not the menu to control the mouse. :v:

Yes, that would be thing I'm talking about. GZDoom lets you use the mouse to control the menus, which is what I want to do in Zandronum because being stuck using keyboard only controls in 2015 is ridiculous. I'm not talking about settings for using the mouse in-game. :v:

Mak0rz posted:

Well, here's new Shadow Warrior if that's a better topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSeBcZR2pI8

Check out that sweet reload animation at about 30 seconds in :haw:

This looks infinitely better than Shadow Warrior 2013, which is pretty great.

e; the free-running/open levels look awesome too. I wasn't sure going in but this looks cool + good, I might get it.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 16, 2015

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Alain Post posted:

Who actually gives a poo poo about Id. They consist of Tim Willits and some hacks right out of university.

i'm at least 5 years out of university, tyvm

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

After watching more of that video I realize that Wild Hog needs to get their hands on the Turok franchise. God drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Oh wow those weapons seem way more fun to use than whatever the hell they were going for in the first game.

The jump in gameplay quality between Hard Reset and Shadow Warrior gave me the impression that Flying Wild Hog is eager to learn from their past mistakes. If we see a comparable jump between SW 1 and 2, then it'll be something special.