Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Angry Fish posted:

I believe we need to think more pessimistically about AMD's prospects, given the fact that they have less than 10% of Intel's research budget. 2.9 billion vs 250 million.

My impression is that most of the legwork on Zen is already complete, and that it's up to GloFo to produce not poo poo yields. Zen is supposed to be an incredibly high volume part, so I'm betting some kind of leak on performance in Q2 is inevitable, heck Q3 is supposed to be desktop consumer release, it's likely we might hear performance specs on Zen in 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
AMD has gotten lots more cagey about releasing info. on their future products though.

So far there is very little concrete to go on about Zen and it will most likely stay that way for quite a while unfortunately.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Shaocaholica posted:

IMO, cable management hasn't really gotten much better and it really should be eliminated at the root which is having cables in the first place. The worst is when you get everything nice and neat and then you can loving change anything or it becomes a pain to remove a part because you've got your cables fastened down so tight.

On the other hand, most of the more expensive cases these days have space for cable management behind the motherboard wall. I have an absolute mess back there, but it doesn't matter, because all the airflow is in the main compartment, and it's not like cables need airflow :v:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

On the other hand, most of the more expensive cases these days have space for cable management behind the motherboard wall. I have an absolute mess back there, but it doesn't matter, because all the airflow is in the main compartment, and it's not like cables need airflow :v:

New "audiophile" grade cable concept. You have to let the cables breath, so the bits can flow freely. All you digital data will flow with much improved spatialness with and open sound stage and colourful brightness to the bits.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

New "audiophile" grade cable concept. You have to let the cables breath, so the bits can flow freely. All you digital data will flow with much improved spatialness with and open sound stage and colourful brightness to the bits.

Don't.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Truga posted:

Out of sight out of mind? Doesn't really solve the issue.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Shaocaholica posted:

Think of it as a big flat cable raceway.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Shaocaholica posted:

No, the issue with cabling is air flow. If the cabling is not there, the issue is solved. I frankly couldn't care less what the innards of a PC look like if it performs well and is easy to maintain. Both of which it is.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

AMD has gotten lots more cagey about releasing info. on their future products though.

So far there is very little concrete to go on about Zen and it will most likely stay that way for quite a while unfortunately.

Here's a sample roadmap showing Initial Production (IP) for Zen (Summit Ridge) starting in Oct 2016, which might indicate and end of 2016/beginning of 2017 launch, which would have Zen going against Cannonlake.

Good luck AMD.

E: Bristol Ridge is a DDR4 Carrizo-Refresh with Excavator cores according to the same presentation:

Grim Up North fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 16, 2015

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
2MB shared L2 between how many loving cores? jesus christ...

Talk about starved.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Zen v. Skylake was something I could see as being, "ehh, okay this might be a good value offering sure let's see."

Cannonlake is going to continue the generation-ahead advantage Intel has had since two computer purchases ago.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I see you don't like making money ;). Pretty sure I've seen $30K ethernet cables. :negative:

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Stanley Pain posted:

I see you don't like making money ;). Pretty sure I've seen $30K ethernet cables. :negative:

Most I've seen is $8k.
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-Dedicated-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000I1X6PM

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Thats nice but not the sort of details I mean. Architectural details, clockspeed, price, etc. are far more interesting than expected production dates for Zen. If it doesn't perform decently or they price it stupidly who cares when it comes out after all right?

Angry Fish posted:

2MB shared L2 between how many loving cores? jesus christ...

Cannonlake is going to continue the generation-ahead advantage Intel has had since two computer purchases ago.
Still only going to be 2 'modules' on a APU so a max of 4 logical 'cores' which isn't bad at all.

If Cannonlake offers similar CPU performance improvements that we've been seeing out of Intel since Ivy Bridge then AMD is fine so long as they're willing to sell their CPU's for a ~20% discount vs comparable Intel products. Which is pretty much what they did in the K5 and K6 days.

Remember Cannonlake is supposed to be a die shrink of Skylake with little to no architectural changes so IPC probably won't change much if any at all. Any significant performance changes would either have to come from some new 'secret sauce' (ie. PIM's in on die memory to pre process some things), changes in the cache structure (ie. big honkin' (512MB+) eDRAM or SRAM cache with super low latency) and/or clockspeed improvements.

Given the post Sandy Bridge long term trend of Intel focusing on reducing power usage rather than performance I wouldn't go expecting a whole lot out of Cannonlake vs Skylake. And if AMD really can get Haswell-ish performance out of Zen they've got a real shot to do some decent sales since you'd only be looking at around ~10-15% performance difference vs Skylake per clock. Outside of benchmarks you won't see a difference in performance if AMD can pull that off.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

612 reviews.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I see you haven't found these yet

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Stanley Pain posted:

:staredog:

Man, I need to get involved in that business.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Stanley Pain posted:

They sure look cool though. I'd totally use those cables for 1/1000 of the price.

edit: snag these up at an estate sale in about 30 years for a few pennies.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 16, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

Just the whole thing is dumbtarded and I've spent quite a bit of time telling people their 100$ purchase was foolish.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

FaustianQ posted:

Just the whole thing is dumbtarded and I've spent quite a bit of time telling people their 100$ purchase was foolish.

Audophiles or just people on the internet in general? Because frankly, raving at a brick wall tend to illicit a better response than talking audiophiles down from a super dumb purchase.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

GrizzlyCow posted:

Audophiles or just people on the internet in general? Because frankly, raving at a brick wall tend to illicit a better response than talking audiophiles down from a super dumb purchase.

People in general and people in real life. The worst part is even physically demonstrating that it was a dumb purchase doesn't change minds. The higher the price, the higher the emotional investment :(

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Why bother talking audiophiles out of anything? Its their money. As long as they aren't hurting themselves or others who cares?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

They need to acknowledge the superior scientific methods put forth by people who clearly know better. Furthermore,

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
As opposed to trying to talk people out of believing in a man that lives in the sky?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
If you don't know why anyone would want to talk someone out of buying a $100 electrical outlet, then I don't know what to say.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

Why bother talking audiophiles out of anything? Its their money. As long as they aren't hurting themselves or others who cares?

I wasn't talking about audiophiles in particular? The vast majority of people are dumb when it comes to electronics and can easily be fooled by any snake oil pitch. Is it really a crime to hope I can save someone money?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
There's a clear difference between say, helping someone get good parts in the PC picking thread versus encouraging them to buy $10K snakeoil cables that they're going to do anyways. If someone's going to be real dumb about it you might as well get some enjoyment out of it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shaocaholica posted:

Belief in pseudosciences and the disbelief in rational thought and logic that tends to accompany said belief is a form of anti-intellectualism. I would argue that constitues harming others, as it harms society :colbert:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

quote:

Is it really possible that the sound quality of bit-identical audio files' is influenced by their storage medium before being delivered to the hi-fi system's DAC?

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/hificritic/vol5_no3/listening_to_storage.htm

audiophiles: bit identical but sounds different.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Hey, cool it guys. We're here to talk about AMD and not $150 audiophile electric outlets.

So how will Carrizo-L affect audio quality?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

FaustianQ posted:

People in general and people in real life. The worst part is even physically demonstrating that it was a dumb purchase doesn't change minds. The higher the price, the higher the emotional investment :(

My aunt always buys the most expensive article on a shelf. "This fridge for $1500 with the exact same specs and a gold plated handle must be better than that $500 fridge, surely?" A lot of people are absolutely convinced that if the exact same thing is more expensive, it must be premium quality.

GrizzlyCow posted:

So how will Carrizo-L affect audio quality?

It's funny, how self proclaimed audiophiles can afford $10k cables, but can't seem to afford a $20 USB DAC that resides outside the EM influence of their PC's innards. Sure, the sound quality out of a $20 dac isn't anything to write home about, but you've just removed the need for anything except standard cheapo cables from your build?

Why are people this dumb?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Someone made a stunning revelation during last night's PC Gaming Show.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mayodreams posted:

Someone made a stunning revelation during last night's PC Gaming Show.

Carlos!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Shaocaholica posted:

As opposed to trying to talk people out of believing in a man that lives in the sky?

Look what happened to all the anti-vaccine people. Do you really want that mindset bleeding into electronic sales too?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-advanced-micro-devices-mulling-002146037.html

quote:

AMD, based in Sunnyvale, California, has asked a consulting firm to help it review its options and draw up scenarios on how a break-up or spin-off would work, the people said this week, asking not to be identified because the deliberations are confidential.

One option under consideration is separating AMD's graphics and licensing business from its server business, which sells processors that power data centers, one of the people said.

Spinning off ATI would unlock the time travel skill for AMD and they can go back and fix things, right?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
It would be the dumbest thing; they'd lose all their graphics knowledge to make competitive APUs.

keymaster02
Mar 11, 2014

I had sex with a 32-year old at 16. SA is run by SJWs. Liking 16-year olds is not pedophilia. I hate your pronoun. I like young boys. I donate to the NAACP and probably NAMBLA too.

Riso posted:

It would be the dumbest thing; they'd lose all their graphics knowledge to make competitive APUs.

They could still maintain a strategic partnership. Yum!! Brands still has nothing but pepsi fountains in its corporate stores for instance. At least this way ATI doesn't die with AMD.

Edit:
They could also retain a large share of the new company.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hopefully it would work out better than when they spun off GF

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Now Ars is weighing in:
http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/06/amd-weighing-a-business-break-up-or-spin-off-reuters-says/

:aaa:

God, this is sad. I really want an alternative to a monopoly on the personal computers industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!
The article mentions GlobalFoundries as an earlier spin-off.

Fun fact: an even earlier example was in 2000 when AMD spun-off their communications products division into Legerity.

• Locked thread