Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Weapon customization is a thing I've wanted since FO3, and it's probably sold me on this game more than I was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

KillerQueen posted:

Weapon customization is a thing I've wanted since FO3, and it's probably sold me on this game more than I was.

when I heard them initially talking about crafting I was like, thats neat

oh cool it added a scope

wait

wait

:catstare:

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

DOMDOM posted:

OK but that's all assets - graphics, voice work, music licensing etc.

What do you think the core engine programming cost?

The development team for Skyrim was a total of 100 people, GTA 5 had over a thousand people working on it.

So I am going to guess that the programming cost was over 10 fold for GTA 5 than Skyrim, not taking the development time into consideration at all.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

A Spider Covets posted:

gently caress im so glad its not another elder scrolls this year

Pete Hines fondles himself before an unwashed and costumed audience; they collectively defile any dignity that the home to The Oscars once possessed. A neckbeard dressed in cardboard T-51B armor screams at the recording of a person playing TES Online: "FALLOUT! FALLOOOOOOOUUUUT!"

"Oh you want Fallout?" Pete Hines paces back and forth across the stage. He turns to somebody off camera. "Hey, these faggots want Fallout!"

As if on cue, a lanky child or impossibly waifish man sprints on stage. Like the Doom 4 preview, his hair is almost entirely burnt oranges and browns. He gestures at the audience with a pair of finger pistols and proceeds to "kill" several of the people in the front row with "critical hits" and "targeted shots" while rough sketches of things that may or may not be Fallout 4 play on the big screen. There is a picture of somebody wearing a trashcan helmet; a cloaked figure in the desert; paintings of trash and scrap metal.

"As you can see, we've got a lot of great ideas for the next Fallout game," the redhead says. He then takes careful aim of a person sitting before him and "fires". "Headshot! The ghoul's head explodes!"

Hines places his hands on the other person's shoulders and laughs disingenuously. "That's some really great stuff, Todd--let's have a round of applause for Mr. Howard, everybody. But hey, let's get to the real star of the show. Are you ready for that, folks?"

The crowd is positively electric with anticipation.

A video of several Bethesda employees playing a card game appears on the screen. Skyrim's dramatic theme booms in the background and we catch brief glimpses of playing cards featuring Khajiit and Dreughs, Elves and Atronachs. As the song reaches its crescendo, Hines screams, "COMING LATER THIS YEAR: T. E. S. SIX: FLAMEROCK."

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Going to play as a low intelligence bad guy who is super gay.

Wicked retarded queer.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Jedrick posted:

Going to play as a low intelligence bad guy who is super gay.

Wicked retarded queer.

You might want to try playing somebody besides yourself. Games are escapism, after all.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You might want to try playing somebody besides yourself. Games are escapism, after all.

smh if you've never imagined yourself being gay as hell in a post-apocalyptic wasteland

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:

Walrus Pete posted:

smh if you've never imagined yourself being gay as hell in a post-apocalyptic wasteland

any port in a storm

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Walrus Pete posted:

Imagined?

As the old adage goes, "There's a mod for that."

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'll be gay if it gives me bonus damage against males like it did in NV

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Rinkles posted:

This is the dumbest poo poo.

Why exactly? I pretty much play Bethesda games as a sandbox and it only really shines with mods. There is little point of pre-ordering unless mod support is there. I will still get the game but will now likely wait couple of months for the creation tools and some patches.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

oblomov posted:

Why exactly? I pretty much play Bethesda games as a sandbox and it only really shines with mods. There is little point of pre-ordering unless mod support is there. I will still get the game but will now likely wait couple of months for the creation tools and some patches.

He could be saying "it is the dumbest poo poo that the mod tools for the most popular mod games won't come out for six months", and not talking about you

I don't see an issue with waiting, though; the worst case scenario is you get the game for 30 or 40 bucks on sale next summer instead of paying 60 AND have a better experience, I've never understood why gamers make such a big deal about being early adopters when games are almost always noticeably better 12 months later than they are at launch now (less bugs and more content at a lower price)

Baku fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 15, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ive already decided I want to have the worlds first pixel goatse art in FO4

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zombies' Downfall posted:

He could be saying "it is the dumbest poo poo that the mod tools for the most popular mod games won't come out for six months", and not talking about you

Plus that there's a delay to the delay on another console.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Maybe the whole reason for the voice acted PC is to drive home that you're an android, incapable of free will and can only provide canned responses. Then, after you slay the Dean of The Institute, you're post-game quest becomes searching the land for holotapes to alter yourself in a vain attempt to make yourself unique and therefore 'human.'

Or maybe they'll go Full Retard and you have to fly Ol' Ironsides into space to fight the Aliens, who were controlling The Institute the whole time, and blow up Mothership Beta.

khy posted:

They did a reasonable job with the Skyrim Civil war not being simple and straightforward 'good vs evil'.

HAH! Alright, pull the other leg now.

Yes, the whole 'SKYRIM FOR PURE, LILY WHITE NORDS ONLY!' schtick wasn't straightforward at all, and having Ulfric in Nord Limbo run up and tell the player hat the rebellion was a total mistake before he gets swallowed by Luicfer Aluindin in the final mission was brilliantly subtle.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I don't see an issue with waiting, though; the worst case scenario is you get the game for 30 or 40 bucks on sale next summer instead of paying 60 AND have a better experience, I've never understood why gamers make such a big deal about being early adopters

In a word - impatience. Nobody wants to wait for anything if they don't have to. Also, there's some value to be had in the shared experience of playing a game when it's at its most active and relevant, which is virtually always right after it comes out. Even for a single player game, there will never be a more active discussion around a game than when it's brand new.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if you guys are writing up careposts about how upset you are over this or that or you dont like the voice acting then gently caress you

its fallout

we are going to kill mutants and molerats and poo poo and its going to be baller

then we are going to make bases with pixel art lighting

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Actually watched the entire trailer, and I've gotta say I'm really excited for the base/armor/weapon building. Even if it's not "perfect" when it comes out, the modding potential is huge since those features are already in the game rather than having to be modded in.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Why are there super mutants in Boston????? What do they eat????? Also

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
you know whats more intersting than thse dumb loving arguments

whether or not you should put chili in beans

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Voiced Protagonist is one of the best changes imo. If you like being a retarded mute in every conversation that exhibits 0 emotion idk to say.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Walrus Pete posted:

In a word - impatience. Nobody wants to wait for anything if they don't have to. Also, there's some value to be had in the shared experience of playing a game when it's at its most active and relevant, which is virtually always right after it comes out. Even for a single player game, there will never be a more active discussion around a game than when it's brand new.

Yeah I can see that, but you also get my point, right? I never played Borderlands 2 and didn't think it was worth $60 so a buddy and I just got it this Steam sale to try out the co-op. I paid $9 for the same game/content that originally sold for over $100 in total and aside from being part of a cultural conversation or whatever our play experience will probably be better due to an abundance of things like bug fixes, balance adjustments, and recommendations from the community like "use cheat engine to raise the drop rates".

Being months/years behind the new release cycle of games you're interested in owns in some ways.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
bu bu bu what about mods!!!!

idk then you'll either have 3 things

1. mod quests in which you have your silent protagonist briefly, and so what who cares
2. lovely voice acting from nerds
3. good voice acting

im glad of all of them

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dr. Carwash posted:

Voiced Protagonist is one of the best changes imo. If you like being a retarded mute in every conversation that exhibits 0 emotion idk to say.

So this is your first fallout game, huh

edit: sorry i meant "video game"

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

*idea for xbox 1 mod*

Adds a new high int dialogue option that says "This pipboy... it has the wrong kind of holodisk".

Alternatively, "This pipboy says it's the first model but it's actually the third. They named the third pipboy the pipboy one", at which point the player character will spend the next 10 hours reciting pipboy sales figures in the greater Boston area.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CJacobs posted:

So this is your first fallout game, huh

edit: sorry i meant "video game"

i dont know what this means but it sounds like you are super mad about voice acting

LOL

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

khy posted:

So one thing that having a fully voiced protagonist adds to the game that I want to see incorporated into the final product is idle banter between the protagonist and his companions. Not just dialogue trees but poo poo like idle comments about places you pass, or hell who knows even banter mid-combat.

It'd definitely make those long wasteland journeys more interesting if they weren't filled with total silence from your travelling buddy.

I really don't want to have my character spouting one-liners or saying "Hey, look at that!" every five minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have more things to talk about with NPCs, but I'm not sure we can expect that from the same game that's giving us such riveting dialogue options as "GET FOOD" and "EVERYTHING'S DEAD".

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Eonwe posted:

i dont know what this means but it sounds like you are super mad about voice acting

LOL

Only hyped and game positive posting in the echo chamber guys!

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Yeah I can see that, but you also get my point, right? I never played Borderlands 2 and didn't think it was worth $60 so a buddy and I just got it this Steam sale to try out the co-op. I paid $9 for the same game/content that originally sold for over $100 in total and aside from being part of a cultural conversation or whatever our play experience will probably be better due to an abundance of things like bug fixes, balance adjustments, and recommendations from the community like "use cheat engine to raise the drop rates".

Being months/years behind the new release cycle of games you're interested in owns in some ways.

Yeah, totally. If you don't place a ton of value in the in-the-moment experience of playing a new game while everyone else is, then most games benefit hugely from waiting a while. Between patches and price drops, there's plenty of reason to hold off on buying just about any game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Eonwe posted:

LOL

I was saying he's a dumbass for implying that not having a voiced protag means your character can't show emotion

You're a dumbass too hth

edit: i probably should be less hostile

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Dr. Carwash posted:

On the other hand, the voice actor could end up delivering the line in a way that is totally wrong for your character.

And other game protagonists aren't "retarded mutes". They are saying stuff, there's just no voice acting for it.

Also, this is a role-playing game, so part of the idea is that you're supposed to be the character instead of just watching the character, so the emotion comes from you.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CJacobs posted:

I was saying he's a dumbass for implying that not having a voiced protag means your character can't show emotion

You're a dumbass too hth

edit: i probably should be less hostile

Lmao

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ordered the pip boy edition so I can put it on my desk at work like a huge loving nerd

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Voiced Protagonist is 100% fine......unless we can't act really rear end in a top hat to NPCs if we desire

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

What's the odds on an exponential memory leak making the game unplayable on one console?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
That lady didn't sound like Jenifer Hale, 0 stars would not chose renegade options.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

PerpetualSelf posted:

What I really want is Bethesda and Sports Interactive to team up and produce Mutant Football Manager.

This, but with baseball. Partly because it's America's national passtime, and partly because I have a mental image of a hulking supermutant trying to hold a regulation bat in its oversized fists and it's hilarious.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Walrus Pete posted:

Also if you're probably going to like a game anyway then £20 is like, three and a half hours work. I don't really want to wait six months instead of working an extra 3.5 hours to afford a game I want. I could just not eat sandwiches for a while if I'm desperate.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

frajaq posted:

Voiced Protagonist is 100% fine......unless we can't act really rear end in a top hat to NPCs if we desire

you can shoot people in the face while you talk to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Walrus Pete posted:

Remember when people got upset that they made their character gay by picking the confirmed bachelor perk in New Vegas?

That was the best.

• Locked thread