Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Did something change about colonization? (In yet more trip reports from my Russia game) Portugal fell to Spain, who ate them, but the only thing they managed to do was establish Mexico. Spain itself has not touched Brasil or the Carribean, only Columbia. While Great Britain has Newfoundland/Canada and a tiny Thirteen Colonies. That's...apparently it. I think Spain might have Cape of Good hope too. I was worried I'd have to go to war for Eastern Siberia, but I managed to get there just fine with no else in site. It's...very odd. I'm in the 1680's and if I wanted to grab Exploration I could make Russian America, it's that empty. I've never seen a game with such sparse colonization. And in the case of Spain and GB it's not like they focused on the continent, Spain is pretty much just Iberia while GB lost its continental cores to Burgundy long ago. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Eimi posted:

Did something change about colonization? (In yet more trip reports from my Russia game) Portugal fell to Spain, who ate them, but the only thing they managed to do was establish Mexico. Spain itself has not touched Brasil or the Carribean, only Columbia. While Great Britain has Newfoundland/Canada and a tiny Thirteen Colonies. That's...apparently it. I think Spain might have Cape of Good hope too. I was worried I'd have to go to war for Eastern Siberia, but I managed to get there just fine with no else in site. It's...very odd. I'm in the 1680's and if I wanted to grab Exploration I could make Russian America, it's that empty. I've never seen a game with such spare colonization. And in the case of Spain and GB it's not like they focused on the continent, Spain is pretty much just Iberia while GB lost its continental cores to Burgundy long ago. :iiam:

Spain in my current game is having some sort of AI problem. They made a small Spanish Brazil colony then stopped everything, and I mean everything. I recently went to war with them and found they had NO military in spain, nor did they seemingly have a fleet. It's like the player is asleep at the wheel. Portugal is actively colonizing the Caribbean though, but that's it. I took expansion but don't have the ability to explore so I'm sitting here colonizing north america all by my self with 1 colonist. England got destroyed by me and Scotland so they're out of the colonial game.

Really if anything goes wrong with Spain, Portugal, or England the "new world" can remain pretty empty until the 2nd or 3rd tier colonizers come in, but often doesn't start until the later 1600's and then you start to see poo poo like Swedish Canada.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah sometimes you just need to do some trial and error to figure out the optimal flow to your treasury. Sometimes getting more raw ducats in your node comes at the expense of less going to your treasury, but usually the reverse is true. It's better to have 60% control over a 30 ducat node than 90% control over a 10 ducat node. And of course don't be afraid to move your trade capital!

I really do wish you could have multiple collection points. For instance if you are playing france and have both the english channel and southern france/italy on lock down you fully control 2 end-nodes but can only extract without major penalty from one. There's a lot of quirks to the trade system but it doesn't really aim to be realistic or even an abstraction of much, it's just a game feature to add an interesting mechanic.

The most confusing part about trade is there are so many variables that go into the calculations and various modifiers that are a little hard to evaluate relative to each other. For example (correct me if I'm wrong):

Global/Domestic/Abroad Trade Power and Trade Income do exactly that
Trade Efficiency is like a combination of the above and boosts both income and power, therefore awesome
Caravan Power modifies your inland trading merchants, who get up to +50 base trade power from your development (easy to get)
Trade Steering boosts your nodes where you have a merchant doing Transfer Trade Power

Then to top it all off you've got boats and privateers and embargoes and Naval Tradition which massively boosts Trade Steering.

I'm not entirely sure how all those are calculated but a lot are multiplicative with each other.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Pellisworth posted:

The most confusing part about trade is there are so many variables that go into the calculations and various modifiers that are a little hard to evaluate relative to each other. For example (correct me if I'm wrong):

I'm not entirely sure how all those are calculated but a lot are multiplicative with each other.

Don't forget Mercantilism :)

Yeah this is the hard part of Trade, figuring out what set of factors to change that will give me more cash in pocket. A lot of the time it just feels like I'm trying poo poo to see if it makes income numbers go up.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

nessin posted:

So I'm playing my first game after about two years dry of EU4, and there are a couple things new that I'm struggling with. Fortunately none of it new to Common Sense:

1) Just what are Trade Companies? Are they simply a province modifier or something else? I keep seeing references as to how a Trade Company might be a separate entity almost like a colonial nation, but all I see is the button to add a provice to the trade company which puts a couple positives and negatives on the province.

2) This might actually be partly new to common sense, but has forced vassalization always been so expensive (diplo point wise)? Is there some form of casus belli that can reduce the cost, or is that a mission specific thing?

Not sure about 1, as for 2) the most recent patch dramatically upped the diplo point cost of a lot of things related to coring and vassalization so it's a relatively new thing that people are still coming to grips with.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

nessin posted:

So I'm playing my first game after about two years dry of EU4, and there are a couple things new that I'm struggling with. Fortunately none of it new to Common Sense:

1) Just what are Trade Companies? Are they simply a province modifier or something else? I keep seeing references as to how a Trade Company might be a separate entity almost like a colonial nation, but all I see is the button to add a provice to the trade company which puts a couple positives and negatives on the province.

2) This might actually be partly new to common sense, but has forced vassalization always been so expensive (diplo point wise)? Is there some form of casus belli that can reduce the cost, or is that a mission specific thing?

A trade company is basically land that you own, but by adding it to a trade company (which can only be done in certain regions) you start a 'vassal' in that trade region. It gives you a trade bonus, and you should target trade value provinces like important centres. On standard provinces it doesn't do much for you, but on trade ones it massively boosts your power. If you are trading in a region which allows your nation to do that, like the Zanzibar node, for example, then you absolutely should. If you can get enough trade power to hold over 50% then you get a free merchant for as long as you can sustain that trade power, which pretty great. The trade off is that you get no manpower for the province any more, won't be converting religiously or culturally it very quickly and I don't think you get the tax either. You get a pretty drat good tolerance and revolt risk modifier though, so as long as you park some troops on it until nationalism dies down. After that you should be good. Oh yeah, you can add conquered provinces to a trade company, the game doesn't tell you that very well. It doesn't operate like a real vassal, it fields no troops and has no government, so I don't know why it is on the subject screen.

Trade companies can make you extremely rich and powerful, especially if you are a merchant republic allowing you to build both trade posts and trade companies in certain regions. If you place both of them on a centre then you get maaaaaassive trade power in that note.

Also, like someone mentioned earlier, vassalisation got a bit more expensive with development. It is still worth doing though, because admin tech is always superior to dip tech. I don't really remember how to get a Subjugate CB, which gives you a 50% warscore cost modifier, but I think it is mission only.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Finally finished up a long CK2 game. I started as Germania, then switched to Africa around year 1100 because it got way to easy. Turns out that with a player-assisted start the ai can make some pretty big gains.

and religions...

The Aztec invasion was a colossal failure; as soon as they took Scotland and England The Fylkir declared a Great Holy War and the hordes of Reformed Germans booted the Aztecs right out of Europe. The only ones left still have the Aztec Empire title, but are Saxons of the Germanic faith. I managed to get Spain back to a series of buffer states for when EU4 Germania gets ridiculously powerful.

So this will make a fun EU4 game! I can't wait to get into Common Sense now that I'm done, again, with CK2 though I may just go with the base setting if this proves to be too whacky.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trundel posted:

Finally finished up a long CK2 game. I started as Germania, then switched to Africa around year 1100 because it got way to easy. Turns out that with a player-assisted start the ai can make some pretty big gains.

and religions...

The Aztec invasion was a colossal failure; as soon as they took Scotland and England The Fylkir declared a Great Holy War and the hordes of Reformed Germans booted the Aztecs right out of Europe. The only ones left still have the Aztec Empire title, but are Saxons of the Germanic faith. I managed to get Spain back to a series of buffer states for when EU4 Germania gets ridiculously powerful.

So this will make a fun EU4 game! I can't wait to get into Common Sense now that I'm done, again, with CK2 though I may just go with the base setting if this proves to be too whacky.

Let us know how the conversion goes and any weirdness you find. I keep wanting to sink the hours into playing a full CK2 game but every time I did the converter wasn't up to date or working right for that version :(

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Good thing I sensed which the wind was blowing and abandoned by alliance with Brandenburg because they just got hosed over by the Protestant League (with my help :v: )

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Koramei posted:

[TBARW] transparent political map ... doesn't seem to be working:crossarms:

Yeah, I see the same thing.

VDay posted:

Something I never really thought about because I never bothered to actually get a handle on trade until getting back into this game when CS came out is whether or not it's worth it to have a merchant collect from your home node. I always did it because it seemed like the right thing to do, but I've only recently realized that it's sometimes more beneficial to send him somewhere else if there aren't that many other nations with significant trade power there. My home merchant, for example, was only stopping ~1.5-2 gold worth of value from "leaking out" of my home node, so instead I sent him to a node right below mine and he instead now redirects ~4 gold worth of value into my flow of networks. Where trade value and power come from and how best to min/max or just improve it can be tricky, but the basic trade flow mechanic is surprisingly simple once you sit down and go "Ok what does this stuff actually mean and what is actually happening when I do this?"

Having a merchant in your home node increases the income you collect in that node by 10%. Which is pretty insubstantial. It's typically better to have him out doing something else, unless you have a huge amount of value in your home node, and a general surplus of merchants (which is often the case with a multi-continental colonial power). I'll just quote the wiki:

"EU4 Wiki posted:

Collecting trade in capital
The capital trade node (or main trade port, with Wealth of Nations) collects trade automatically, regardless whether a merchant is active there or not. Sending a merchant to collect in the capital merely adds an additional +10% Trade Income to that specific capital trade node, which is a bonus not granted to other nodes when collecting. Collecting in the capital is generally only worth it for countries that have Trade Power concentrated in fewer trade nodes than they have Merchants.

Stationing a Merchant in the capital increases the income there by 10%, whereas collecting with a Merchant in another node halves the Trade Power. Thus, in most cases a country would have to control more than five times as much Trade Value in the capital as another node to justify stationing a Merchant in the capital. For instance: If a country has 10 ducats worth of Trade Value in their main trade node and 2 ducats in another node, stationing a Merchant in their home node would increase their income by 10% to 11 ducats, while stationing that same merchant in the other node would add 1 ducat to the 10 they're getting from their main trade port, giving them a total of 11 as well.

nessin posted:

Trade Companies are a provincial modifier, the provinces remain owned by you. In essence you give up all the direct income you would make from that province (typically very little given the other modifiers), in exchange to a big boost to Province Trade Power. This is especially useful for provinces which are River Estuaries or Important Centers of Trade, as they already have a +5-20 Trade Power modifier; it also boosts trade buildings in a big way. As a bonus, if your trade company controls >50% of the Provincial Trade Power in a node, you get an extra merchant from them.

Trade Companies also have a variety of events around them, but those can be basically ignored.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I've noticed a number of Protestant and Reformed states within the HRE have joined the Catholic League. I can understand other faith states outside the Empire joining the other league, just to gently caress with the emperor/the other league-leader or the like. But within the Empire? I am not sure if they understand that if their side wins, the emperor will soon be knocking on their doors to demand they convert.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Does the HRE emperor stop getting penalties to IA for protestant members after the peace of Westphalia? I passed three reforms really easy, but then the Reform swept the continent really hard while i was crushing the commonwealth, and now basically I'm the only catholic country left. I tried enforcing faith on a few nations but it borked my diplomacy bad, and it was already hard to hang on to the throne.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

PittTheElder posted:

Trade Companies also have a variety of events around them, but those can be basically ignored.

The random free fort event still fires which is pretty annoying with the maintenance now. By the time it's a hassle to find the province for it you should be drowning in trade money though at least.

Another Person posted:

trade companies in certain regions

Huh, I'm suddenly wondering if this is why I tend to think of quantity as near-mandatory for trade powers- but I always put Trade Companies on every province possible, not just the centers of trade. 75% autonomy 'cause of distant overseas means the (.5 per province) naval force limit bonus alone is usually better than anything else you'd be getting, and you really need those ships if you want to control every drop of ocean in the eastern hemisphere.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you removed the university that Portugal had?

bullshit, i demand a refund!

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
I was poking around with the console and just noticed that Ganja is province #420, nice work guys :c00l:

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Sephyr posted:

Does the HRE emperor stop getting penalties to IA for protestant members after the peace of Westphalia? I passed three reforms really easy, but then the Reform swept the continent really hard while i was crushing the commonwealth, and now basically I'm the only catholic country left. I tried enforcing faith on a few nations but it borked my diplomacy bad, and it was already hard to hang on to the throne.

Nope, you still take the penalty for heretic princes.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Tendronai posted:

Nope, you still take the penalty for heretic princes.

Well, there goes the Renovatio Imperii.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Mans posted:

you removed the university that Portugal had?

bullshit, i demand a refund!

The biggest disappointment for me is removing the unique buildings. I liked them, and late game without the bonus leaders is really annoying. To say nothing of losing the Embassy.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
The one downside of the new building system is the removal of the bonuses from unique buildings. No more -5% tech from universities. Or reduced maintenance from the grain depo. The biggest casualty is probably the lack of an extra diplomat from the embassy. Diplomatic was already one of the best first idea groups just because of the extra diplomat. Now it feels almost mandatory because you don't have any other way to get one.

The other huge one is the lack of extra leaders without upkeep come late game, which really hurts large empires. I suppose this does make aristocratic a better idea group as it gives you both leaders without upkeep and a diplomat.

Edit: Beaten like AI Albania.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Eimi posted:

The biggest disappointment for me is removing the unique buildings. I liked them, and late game without the bonus leaders is really annoying. To say nothing of losing the Embassy.

I wasn't kidding when I said Aristocratic was actually pretty good now, because you get +1 Diplomat, +1 Leader slot and -10% Mil tech in addition to some decent military stuff like the +25% manpower, cav bonuses, and -1% tradition decay. It's still not the strongest military idea by a long shot, but a lot of the stuff that was previously underwhelming is now really useful.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

Baronjutter posted:

Let us know how the conversion goes and any weirdness you find. I keep wanting to sink the hours into playing a full CK2 game but every time I did the converter wasn't up to date or working right for that version :(

Well a couple of things are odd.

I might have a candidate for the saddest potential HRE.

Somehow in the conversion Brunswick became i's own Catholic OPM, as did the Teutonic Order. There have been no Catholic states in that world for a few hundred years so it'll be interesting to see when them get stomped by Germania.

The Aztecs are back to worshiping their old gods, but all of their European provinces have the Norse faith. Somehow they ended up with a nogovernment government. Just about everyone but Mali is a Feudal Monarchy, Mali is the only Empire. Nothing has become horribly broken yet though. What's really interesting is how the tech shook out. Mali, Germania, most of Spain and France, two Indian countries and parts of Italy and Sicily are all Western tech and everything that got ported from CK2 is split between Muslim and Eastern. Looks like the converter did a pretty good job figuring out the tech levels.

A few hundred years and those Indian states are going to be frightening.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

PittTheElder posted:

Having a merchant in your home node increases the income you collect in that node by 10%. Which is pretty insubstantial. It's typically better to have him out doing something else, unless you have a huge amount of value in your home node, and a general surplus of merchants (which is often the case with a multi-continental colonial power). I'll just quote the wiki:
:doh: You're right, I even managed to get that confused between double-checking something in the game and posting. Trading has so many drat variables involved.

Vorpal Cat posted:

The other huge one is the lack of extra leaders without upkeep come late game, which really hurts large empires. I suppose this does make aristocratic a better idea group as it gives you both leaders without upkeep and a diplomat.
That's another reason I hope Power Projection gets a reworking. I'm a 2,000 development, 300 province Russia and I can have a grand total of 1 military leader because my PP is at 14 because my only two rivals are France and the Ottomans. I could take the Ottomans, but it'd be a ridiculously long, drawn out war and to actually get any meaningful amount of PP I'd have to humiliate them, meaning I'd end up with enough war score to take a handful of provinces for all my efforts.

Pellisworth posted:

I wasn't kidding when I said Aristocratic was actually pretty good now, because you get +1 Diplomat, +1 Leader slot and -10% Mil tech in addition to some decent military stuff like the +25% manpower, cav bonuses, and -1% tradition decay. It's still not the strongest military idea by a long shot, but a lot of the stuff that was previously underwhelming is now really useful.
The problem with putting it there is that Military is probably the most balanced idea set, which means you're potentially giving up some major bonuses in order to get something you use to get from a building. You're obviously also getting some nice stuff from the other ideas in the group, but then you're missing out on or delaying taking Offensive/Defensive and/or Quantity/Quality which are all super good as well. It's a nice "problem" that the ideas are actually balanced and make you make a hard choice, but from a gameplay perspective it's a bummer because it feels like the game is taking things away from you even if it's ultimately not the biggest deal in the world.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I'm not sure how I feel about rivals and power projection. Like early game I was swimming in it, but, I honestly felt I steam rolled those wars. (Despite ending them with 0 manpower). I never felt like I was stretched thin or fighting an equal opponent. Now late game when I fight the Ottomans or Persia together it is a challenge and I feel I'm working for my victory in those wars...but it's so hard there's no way I can afford the 40 war score humiliate. And so I just sit at 15 and don't really care because the effort to raise it now is not worth the cost.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Has anyone noticed the AI Austria isn't getting its special government, Archduchy, now? It does call itself an Archduchy from 1444 (which is new,) but when you hover over it, its a Feudal Monarchy. They've never gotten the event in the two games I've played so far, and remain a monarchy throughout the game.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Node posted:

Has anyone noticed the AI Austria isn't getting its special government, Archduchy, now? It does call itself an Archduchy from 1444 (which is new,) but when you hover over it, its a Feudal Monarchy. They've never gotten the event in the two games I've played so far, and remain a monarchy throughout the game.

The event got commented out in the last patch, dunno why. You're stuck as a Duchy-level government and start as a Feudal Monarchy.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

VDay posted:

That's another reason I hope Power Projection gets a reworking. I'm a 2,000 development, 300 province Russia and I can have a grand total of 1 military leader because my PP is at 14 because my only two rivals are France and the Ottomans. I could take the Ottomans, but it'd be a ridiculously long, drawn out war and to actually get any meaningful amount of PP I'd have to humiliate them, meaning I'd end up with enough war score to take a handful of provinces for all my efforts.

Build some light ships and set them to privateer and you should be able to grab more PP if you can launch from the Black Sea. I find my problem is getting a valid rival at all once I'm that size.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
One somewhat subtle but overall beneficial change: missionary strength is reduced by -0.1% per development, previously it was -0.5% per basetax. That will make conversions quite a bit easier overall, for example Constantinople used to be 16 basetax -8% chance and nearly impossible to convert when stacked with Sunni. Now it'd need to be 80 development to have a similar conversion difficulty, which is bonkers huge.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

The fact that Aristocratic has that -1% tradition decay is really making me want to think it's a good pick. Gonna be real tempted to run Defensive, Quality, Aristocratic in this Brandenburg game I've got going.

Pellisworth posted:

The event got commented out in the last patch, dunno why. You're stuck as a Duchy-level government and start as a Feudal Monarchy.

Can Austria elevate itself to a Kingdom? I would expect the King-level title for Austria to be Archduke, though I haven't even looked at the requirements for upgrading, and how attainable that might be for the AI.

How's Burgundy doing in everyone's games? I'm really worried about the potential for the Inheritance to fire these days, since Burgundy often loses an early war and winds up with negative prestige, which would free all its minors. I'm starting to think that union breaks on negative should just be removed, in favor of more relationship shaping events.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Can Austria elevate itself to a Kingdom? I would expect the King-level title for Austria to be Archduke, though I haven't even looked at the requirements for upgrading, and how attainable that might be for the AI.

It's pretty lovely, actually. You're stuck at Duchy level as a "regular member of the HRE," maybe if you're an elector you can upgrade to King? Austria's unique government form is completely out of the game this patch, though.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Pellisworth posted:

God help the republics.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Ralepozozaxe posted:

God help the republics.

You can just switch to noble republic if you want aristocratic ideas.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

PittTheElder posted:

If they inherit Bohemia (and thus its electorate), they can make themselves kings. (only electors can become kings within the empire) Otherwise they stay as dukes (albeit ones that get called archdukes).

Not that the AI ever does PU Bohemia, let alone inherit it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So I think I'm just about done with my starting/warmup Russia game, so in lieu of the usual "What's a fun country in <region>?" question I'll instead ask: what's a fun achievement to go for as a non-European country? Preferably one that'll take 200-250 years (as opposed to the really ridiculous challenge ones that'll take a whole game). I think the only ones I have are the uniting Japan and westernized Cherokee ones.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

VDay posted:

So I think I'm just about done with my starting/warmup Russia game, so in lieu of the usual "What's a fun country in <region>?" question I'll instead ask: what's a fun achievement to go for as a non-European country? Preferably one that'll take 200-250 years (as opposed to the really ridiculous challenge ones that'll take a whole game). I think the only ones I have are the uniting Japan and westernized Cherokee ones.

There is one to Form Malaya, which is fairly fun. Not a very long off goal, but it is a fun region to play in.

Ayutthaya also has an achievement now, for owning all of Indochina. Haven't gotten that yet, but it is the same region more or less, so another option.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can never figure out Power Projection and essentially ignore it and the rival system for the most part. My valid rivals are always some big country I'm not even that close to and don't want to interact with.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just won the 30 years war for the Protestants, only for Bohemia to win the election. Normally this would be understandable, since Bohemia is a moderate Protestant power within the empire.

Except, it had been a member of the Catholic League. Losing a war to gain the imperial title is a bit strange.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Just started an Ethiopia game, trying for the Prester John achievement. Apparently they start with an Empire-level title, which is pretty sweet.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

GSD posted:

Not that the AI ever does PU Bohemia, let alone inherit it.

Oh to have Europe look like it did in 1560.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Pellisworth posted:

Don't forget the increased coring cost which makes you substantially less tasty to other players in a multiplayer game. If you have some national ideas which increase your coring cost too, I've seen provinces with around 40ish development which cost nearly ONE THOUSAND ADMIN POINTS TO CORE.

It's a big ol' gently caress you to anyone who wants to take you over. They'd have to take the province, just eat the OE for the length of the truce, and then get you to give up your cores in a second war to make coring them reasonable.

Edit, Proof:

Double edit:
I looked into it some more and you can't demand someone give up a core on something that the owner doesn't already have cored so double gently caress you whoever takes those provinces. Only thing I can think of would be forcing the country to "return core" to another country or releasing a country so they loose their cores on it and then you take it in a second war. But that would only work if the province is not their primary culture.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

In my Austria run, I've been Emperor all game long. I picked a couple events favoring Catholics and despite the Protestant League having a bunch of members no war ever broke out; Catholicism just became the official religion of the Empire by an event. Kind of weird that the religious schism never came to blows and the Lutherans who dominate the Low Countries and northern Germany don't care that they're totally shut out of the electors. :v:

Weirder yet is the new ability to make your vassals or unions convert religion whether they want to or not. I happened to get a union with Russia (!) and then I ordered them to go Catholic, which they have done really happily:

• Locked thread