Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

thewireguy posted:

Now I am from Louisiana, and suck crawfish heads ( no homo) but, theoretically, can you cook a lobster with Cajun spices? I had one once and was unimpressed. Butter does not do it for me.

Not to turn this into a GWS thread but yeah, you can do anything you would normally do to shrimp or crawfish to a lobster.

Bonus points, people who don't know what they're talking about will howl that you're "destroying the delicate flavor!" or some such poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
It would overwhelm the flavor of a good lobster, but it'd be a godsend if you got one of those bland stringy ones.

Although for the price of a lobster you can get a lot of shrimp, and I think those are tastier.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Toast Museum posted:

Does Spartacus shoot up in quality after the first season or something? I watched the first six or eight episodes and just could not get into it.

I thought it was dumb the first several episodes but I got really into it eventually. Its never exactly highbrow, the show is the violence of 300 plus a bunch of titties, but it does get better at doing violence and titties?

The second season is a prequel because the lead actor had to go to the hospital for cancer (:smith:) and then they have to replace him for the 3rd season because it went into remission (double :smith:) but the later parts and especially the last season against Crassus are probably the best part.

The first season was just wannabe Gladiator, they find their own thing over time.

I'm a sucker for period pieces though. I think Game of Thrones is way better, but Spartacus is better than like, Marco Polo.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I thought it was dumb the first several episodes but I got really into it eventually. Its never exactly highbrow, the show is the violence of 300 plus a bunch of titties, but it does get better at doing violence and titties?

The second season is a prequel because the lead actor had to go to the hospital for cancer (:smith:) and then they have to replace him for the 3rd season because it went into remission (double :smith:) but the later parts and especially the last season against Crassus are probably the best part.

The first season was just wannabe Gladiator, they find their own thing over time.

I'm a sucker for period pieces though. I think Game of Thrones is way better, but Spartacus is better than like, Marco Polo.
Remission is the opposite of what you're looking for.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
You know, I gotta say that the seafood industry convincing the public that lobster is FANCY, and rich people food that you pay a premium for, and not literal bottom-feeding, sea-cockroach, trash-food that the poor working class at one point refused to eat was a pretty damned GOOD move in marketing.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Zaphod42 posted:

Remission is the good one, Whitfield's cancer relapsed.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

DrBouvenstein posted:

You know, I gotta say that the seafood industry convincing the public that lobster is FANCY, and rich people food that you pay a premium for, and not literal bottom-feeding, sea-cockroach, trash-food that the poor working class at one point refused to eat was a pretty damned GOOD move in marketing.

That was a neat trick. Really, most food marketing amazes or amuses me. Like this one:

It's like the ad writer isn't even giving one iota of poo poo. "Eh, gently caress it, are you hungry? Eat this poo poo!" Really, the slogan "tastes good... when I'm hungry" works for a lot of things, like Taco Bell or Spam. And "spreads like magic"? Hells yea, let me at it!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

DrBouvenstein posted:

The lobster that people refused to eat hundreds of years ago was pretty rotten. If you don't cook it alive it's basically bait quality meat. It wasn't until they could be caught and transported alive that they became popular.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Karma Monkey posted:

That was a neat trick. Really, most food marketing amazes or amuses me. Like this one:

It's like the ad writer isn't even giving one iota of poo poo. "Eh, gently caress it, are you hungry? Eat this poo poo!" Really, the slogan "tastes good... when I'm hungry" works for a lot of things, like Taco Bell or Spam. And "spreads like magic"? Hells yea, let me at it!

Haha don't they still kinda do this with microwavables? The commercials are always some stressed out mom, "poo poo WHAT am I gonna do for my insatiable teenage boys for food????" She opens the freezer and a gleam of heaven shines on a box of Hot Pockets. Teenage boys start kickflipping into the kitchen and gobble it down, "Thanks, mom I sure was hungry"

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

darkhand posted:

Haha don't they still kinda do this with microwavables? The commercials are always some stressed out mom, "poo poo WHAT am I gonna do for my insatiable teenage boys for food????" She opens the freezer and a gleam of heaven shines on a box of Hot Pockets. Teenage boys start kickflipping into the kitchen and gobble it down, "Thanks, mom I sure was hungry"

Pretty much. Hunger + Convenient + Cheap = Cha-ching!

Failed advertising: Life Alert had some pretty funny ads, or at least memorable enough to be mocked/parroted (I've FALLEN and I can't get UP!") but this one starts with an off-putting level of realism. Apparently it was yanked due to complaints. There's nothing like preying on old people's fears to make money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAchFqliGG8

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Karma Monkey posted:

There's nothing like preying on old people's fears to make money.

Hey, it works for lobbyists.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

ElwoodCuse posted:

The lobster that people refused to eat hundreds of years ago was pretty rotten. If you don't cook it alive it's basically bait quality meat. It wasn't until they could be caught and transported alive that they became popular.

This. Every time someone tries to play the "lobster used to be prison food! Checkmate, foodies!" card it's pretty safe to assume they have no idea what the hell they're talking about. I say this as someone who still doesn't really like lobster that much though.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yes, AND ALSO the fact that the people who were, at that time, eating them fresh were Poor Coastal Fisherpeople, and rich people do not eat the same things as The Poors. There's definitely a social factor to it in addition to the practical thing.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I saw a magnetic drawing lapboard for toddlers today, and it was called the Toulouse-Laptrec. Who the gently caress makes an Henri Toulouse-Lautrec pun on a toddler's toy? I'm pretty sure even most adults will at most recognize the name from Moulin Rouge. Who is the target audience for that naming decision?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

This. Every time someone tries to play the "lobster used to be prison food! Checkmate, foodies!" card it's pretty safe to assume they have no idea what the hell they're talking about. I say this as someone who still doesn't really like lobster that much though.

Didn't they mash it up, shell and all, and then boil the hell out of it?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I saw a magnetic drawing lapboard for toddlers today, and it was called the Toulouse-Laptrec. Who the gently caress makes an Henri Toulouse-Lautrec pun on a toddler's toy? I'm pretty sure even most adults will at most recognize the name from Moulin Rouge. Who is the target audience for that naming decision?

I think the point is to get at the type of parents who do get it, as they can probably blow $30 without thinking about it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

A company that doesn't understand the reason Spongebob appeals to kids

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

These people would buy it.

OOOH LOOK MABEL RUTH HAZELNUT! LOOK, EZEKIAL BRAYDEN ADOLPH! IT'S AN IMPRESSIONIST MAGNETIC ART DREAMS BOARD!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Literally the only primary source for that is stories told by some really old guys about things back in their day.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Mouse Dresser posted:

OOOH LOOK MABEL RUTH HAZELNUT! LOOK, EZEKIAL BRAYDEN ADOLPH! IT'S AN IMPRESSIONIST MAGNETIC ART DREAMS BOARD!

Backpfeifengesicht, all of them

(TBF, I'm not sure if the kids are putting on a show for the camera or if the face is really how they feel about the situation)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Karma Monkey posted:

Failed advertising: Life Alert had some pretty funny ads, or at least memorable enough to be mocked/parroted (I've FALLEN and I can't get UP!") but this one starts with an off-putting level of realism. Apparently it was yanked due to complaints. There's nothing like preying on old people's fears to make money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAchFqliGG8

I consider myself a very fast reader, and I watched that twice before having to finally pause to read the fine print on what a catastrophe* is (the bit at 0:33).

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

insufferable.jpg

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Mouse Dresser posted:

I had to find out if those kids are always stuck wearing dumb hipster poo poo... not quite, but the Mom's blog has tons more pretentious photos. And the kids are named Plum, Sailor, and Bird.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Carbon Thief posted:

I had to find out if those kids are always stuck wearing dumb hipster poo poo... not quite, but the Mom's blog has tons more pretentious photos. And the kids are named Plum, Sailor, and Bird.

lmao

Usually when people complain about "hipsters" they just sound like stupid assholes who don't like something trendy, but goddamn do those people look insufferable.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Decrepus has a new favorite as of 06:45 on Jun 16, 2015

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I like her 'shop' where you can buy all their Hipster cast-offs. Of special note is the Dutch Oven at the bottom of the page, which I feel sums up her website pretty well.
http://bleubirdblog.com/shop/

Also the page where she gives style tips for having a night in. With her partner who is called Aubrey.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rondette posted:

I like her 'shop' where you can buy all their Hipster cast-offs. Of special note is the Dutch Oven at the bottom of the page, which I feel sums up her website pretty well.
http://bleubirdblog.com/shop/

Also the page where she gives style tips for having a night in. With her partner who is called Aubrey.

Why is it hundreds of dollars? :psyduck:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I consider myself a very fast reader, and I watched that twice before having to finally pause to read the fine print on what a catastrophe* is (the bit at 0:33).

Remember, it's not a catastrophe* unless LifeAlert dispatches help.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Len posted:

Le Creuset is pretty good stuff.

Why for the love of God is everything including the drat dutch oven beige, though?

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Rondette posted:

For my nights in with my husband, I prefer to wear the classiest of sweatpants and free t-shirts. He matches my joie de vivre with his logo shirts and no pants. Perfect for Netflix watching, pizza ordering, and house cleaning.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rondette posted:

Featuring homemade pizza kits that are more expensive than ordering pizza! Having a lifestyle mommy blogger hawk your overpriced poo poo is probably a good marketing move though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mouse Dresser posted:

This is right up there with the 'its tape' katana video and the other one where the long hair pony tail suddenly shows up, with that dude in the black sweatpants swinging around those wooden swords.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Gabriel Pope posted:

Featuring homemade pizza kits that are more expensive than ordering pizza! Having a lifestyle mommy blogger hawk your overpriced poo poo is probably a good marketing move though.

I like making homemade pizza much more than having store bought ones but I don't really feel the need to crow about it on a blog.

Also *woosh*

quote:

our boys also share a name, rhodes, which neither of us knew at the time. i think it’s pretty special given that rhodes is such a unique name

Only ironically though
VVVVV

Rondette has a new favorite as of 16:12 on Jun 16, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I guess they are both wrestling fans.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rondette posted:

I like making homemade pizza much more than having store bought ones but I don't really feel the need to crow about it on a blog.

$10 for pizza dough and sauce for one pizza, though? You can buy Whole Foods fancy specialty dough and sauce for less than half that, let alone making it from scratch which takes ~20 minutes of work and costs maybe two bucks.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Gabriel Pope posted:

$10 for pizza dough and sauce for one pizza, though? You can buy Whole Foods fancy specialty dough and sauce for less than half that, let alone making it from scratch which takes ~20 minutes of work and costs maybe two bucks.

Wow, just wow. It's $30 for crust, sauce, COOKING PAPER, and FUN.
Why didn't I ever think of marketing towards rich white people? I could have sold gluten-free, cruelty-free, ethically sourced Candle/soap Kits and sold them for $25 a pop. Add your own oils and scents

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Didn't they mash it up, shell and all, and then boil the hell out of it?

Probably, that basically how you make bisque.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Gabriel Pope posted:

I get a bread mix which costs 90p and I bung it in my Kenwood mixer for the dough, and chuck whatever is in the fridge on top that I think would be good on a pizza...the remaining dough gets made into little dough balls or whatever....costs probably not much more than a few pounds. Yeah, making your own cheap yummy pizza is not hard and definitely doesn't need to cost that much!

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Len posted:

Don't forget the $400 sailor pants.

Also I've never wanted to slap someone more than when I saw that coffee table book of Chloe Sevigny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

If my surname were Scholar, I would totally name one of my kids Rhodes, but that's the only scenario I would do it in. (And I would expect and accept my child's hatred for it.)

Carbon Thief posted:

And the kids are named Plum, Sailor, and Bird.

Only if my surname was Crazy, Moon, or Bath.