Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

I'm a couple of days late with this (the revision set things back a bit, I think), but I finally got to sit down for a conversation about Beast with Matthew McFarland and got a more comprehensive sense for what his vision is for the game now: here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I guess it's kind of impressive that McFarland's just going to stick to his guns on this terror and fear thing, considering that before a couple weeks ago just about no one would have taken the claim that creatures such as "dragons, krakens, and griffins" primarily evoked Fear as opposed to Wonder/Awe seriously. That's not even getting into the fact that you don't actually play as a dragon, a kraken, or a griffin.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

quote:

I guess it's kind of impressive that McFarland's just going to stick to his guns on this terror and fear thing, considering that before a couple weeks ago just about no one would have taken the claim that creatures such as "dragons, krakens, and griffins" primarily evoked Fear as opposed to Wonder/Awe seriously.

They can rewrite some of the fluff but there's no way they were going to dump the entire concept of the book. They'd have to rewrite all of the mechanics and start from step 0 rather than rewriting some of the fluff sections and mostly leaving the mechanics (Nightmares, etc.) alone.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I run a Demon game set in Long Island, and I enjoy fleshing out the other supernaturals around, though my players may rarely, if ever, run into them. I'm going to talk about them because I like talking about stuff and may end up using the setting again later for other lines. I want opinions.

Most of what I have at the moment is fragmentary, mind you.

Vampires

The Invictus are primarily based around crime - local Mafiosos and street gangs, primarily. They haven't been doing quite so well since the 90s - crime rates are dropping, and the police have been cracking down. This has led to some internal strife within the Invictus - they're weakening, and a growing segment of the more upper-class Invictus wants to move to infiltrating the cops. The lower-class members - some of whom are quite powerful - won't hear of it. The old-school mafiosos and the street monsters don't like rats, y'see, but a few of them are okay with the idea of dirty cops. It's just not exactly an easy sell. The only notable NPC I have used so far is a Ventrue who lives in the subway system, running a brisk drug trade with the aid of the homeless people who live in the tunnels of Brooklyn, a number of whom he's ghouled. Leon Radescue, Lord of the Mole-People, is making inroads into Long Island's drug trade due to conflict with one of the PCs, who is a member of MS-13.

The Carthians are built like an old-school labor movement - grassroots politics, workforces. They're big on the Occupy movement, but their roots actually date back to the turn of the 19th century and immigrant workers unionizing. Their leadership is primarily in the form of one charismatic, century-old vampire who used to be a union man. He collects Golden Age comic books and has made it a law that no Carthian in New York crosses picket lines, on pain of death. They're mostly drawn from workers, low-level cops and other blue-collar folks.

The Lancea et Sanctum are the boardroom vampires, ever since the infusion of some new blood back in the 70s and 80s. Much as standard-issue Lance theology is a twisted and corrupted Catholicism, these guys have latched onto the Prosperity Gospel and bent it backwards to fit. It's not as heretical to the Lance as you'd think - they basically just have decided that material wealth is proof of God's love, and draw mostly from the wealthy stockbrokers of Wall Street and the socialites of New York. Their entire theological setup is built to reinforce the idea that wealth is the blessing of God, and that their purpose is to terrorize and punish the weak (IE, the poor) for not having the spiritual fortitude to pull themselves up. The local Bishop is basically Gordon Gekko. The Carthians and Invictus are actually rather united in hating these guys.

Haven't really found a place for the Ordo or the Circle yet in my thoughts. More later on other groups.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

Much as standard-issue Lance theology is a twisted and corrupted Catholicism, these guys have latched onto the Prosperity Gospel and bent it backwards to fit.

Bend nothing, Prosperity Gospel fits the modern Sanctified to a T.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kavak posted:

Bend nothing, Prosperity Gospel fits the modern Sanctified to a T.

The main twist is that in the real world, the Prosperity Gospel is, perhaps ironically, most popular with the poor as an attempt to try and control their situation.

:(

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mors Rattus posted:

The main twist is that in the real world, the Prosperity Gospel is, perhaps ironically, most popular with the poor as an attempt to try and control their situation.

Oddly, a bunch of papers I've read on Prosperity gospel suggested while this was true, its real home is among the middle classes, who are prosperous enough to see it 'working' but also to want more. They are then disagreed with by other papers saying what you're saying.

The one thing we can definitely agree on is that Prosperity gospel is incredibly depressing.

E: Looking back over my old paper and references, it isn't Prosperity gospel that's especially popular with the middle class, it's Megachurches, specifically, so I'm wrong and yes, Prosperity Gospel preys primarily on the poor.

:smith:

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 15, 2015

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, you've got to research really carefully to avoid creating a World of Darkness that ends up better than our world in some ways. It's why I prefer to just focus on the monsters, real life is bad enough as-is.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The thing that's so insidious about the Prosperity Gospel is that it makes a victim blame themselves for being victimized. It's one of those 'cannot fail, only be failed' ideologies, because it's based around the charismatic figure who has all the money and thus is 'obvious' proof it works. And so people blame their own lack of faith as their kids go hungry or they get sick and die.

Goddamnit, everything about it makes me sad.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

But yeah the Prosperity Gospel is what gave me the idea to have the Lance be the Wolves of Wall Street.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Nice. I'm doing a game set in a version of Detroit that is actually beginning to rebuild and my Lancea is split between the old school faction who believe that the city is hopelessly corrupt and must destroy itself for soul s to be saved and the new school faction who want to surgically remove the worst of the worst in order to put the fear of God into the less heinous sinners.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Kavak posted:

Yeah, you've got to research really carefully to avoid creating a World of Darkness that ends up better than our world in some ways. It's why I prefer to just focus on the monsters, real life is bad enough as-is.

Just do what I do and throw in the adjectives Warped, Evil, Sinister, and Shadow liberally.

The coterie has a covert meeting with their informant in the Wraped Parking Lot of an Evil McDonald's in Sinister Los Angeles, Shadow California.

Work done, hire me White Wolf.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Loomer posted:

The coterie has a covert meeting with their informant in the Wraped Parking Lot of an Evil McDonald's in Sinister Los Angeles, Shadow California.

"Sir, the entire parking lot is covered in what appears to be Christmas paper."
"Only the Sabbat are capable of something so twisted."

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
In the World of Darkness, Kwanzaa is a federal holiday in the United States. :drac:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Obviously it was a paradox backlash from the earlier battle between Warped Kung Fu Monks and Shadow Robot Nerds.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Loomer posted:

Obviously it was a paradox backlash from the earlier battle between Warped Kung Fu Monks and Shadow Robot Nerds.

I think the latter is a Free Council legacy.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
I really need to read the Ordo Dracul book some time. I've always had this impression of them as a bunch of radical loners whose studies isolate them from society at large and only really see them come together in large numbers to show off and share tips on their depravity; the Otaku of the Vampire world,.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Axelgear posted:

I really need to read the Ordo Dracul book some time. I've always had this impression of them as a bunch of radical loners whose studies isolate them from society at large and only really see them come together in large numbers to show off and share tips on their depravity; the Otaku of the Vampire world,.

RequiemHack.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Axelgear posted:

There's definitely a lot of that in the Ordo (They don't proselytize, demonstrate, or really recruit in an active way, and tend to make other covenants nervous considering the Ordo's mild 'gently caress it all' attitude towards Domain politics...), but there's also a strong sense of an old-fashioned university or philosophical school, where cabals of students learn at the feet of more learned professors and mystics.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kurieg posted:

"Sir, the entire parking lot is covered in what appears to be Christmas paper."
"Only the Sabbat are capable of something so twisted."
Sounds like something a Malkavian might do.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
A certain kind of them sure.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Loomer posted:

Just do what I do and throw in the adjectives Warped, Evil, Sinister, and Shadow liberally.

Work done, hire me White Wolf.

Pretty sure this is the preferred method in Darkest Vancouver.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Didn't it have something to do with the power of True Names and such? If you know Winter Harrow's true name is Rob Robertson, then your spells and such are more powerful. I also recall one character in the demo whose Keeper would be summoned if you repeat her True Name three times. At higher levels of Wyrd, some bans and taboos also rely on knowing your True Name.

Also, it's a big thing in oath-crafting. If you swear an oath on your true name, there's huge prices on failure. And given that it's possible to bind an oath that someone swore on accident, using your true name seems like a big risk. Even if it's something minor, there's a handle there stuck into what remains of your soul. I could easily imagine being introduced to some spooky high wyrd changeling as "Frank Jones", your actual true name, they offer you some cash to do some apparently simple task, you say "No problem, I'll do it if you pay me", reaching out your hand to shake, they smile and take your hand, saying "Consider it a promise, 'Frank'."

Honestly, if/when I get around to actually running Changeling, I'll probably do that as a bit of prelude to establish why the PCs need to use fake fairytale names. Maybe even have the first session be dealing with the repercussions of the accidental oath.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Anyone have a list of some three dot Wonders from mage? I just joined a game and I'm attempting to figure out how wonders work. Book isn't very forthcoming.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Loomer posted:

To get to Shadow California, you just want to take Phantom Five down from our Washington and drive until you reach the outer darkness. If you run into prehuman spectres from beyond the dying stars, you went too far, stop for gas and ask a spectre for directions.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I need some crafting advice.

One of my players in this Hunter game is playing a science nerd who is all about potions and elixers. I'm trying to balance it by making it like a Vampire dicipline but it's proving to be difficult. To throw, say a fire potion, she rolls (STR+weaponry+potions) where "potions" is a 1-5 rank dicipline. Each rank grants her access to a set of potions. Usually 5 per rank. She's got a bag to hold them and the limiter is she only gets one of each per day.

Is there a better way to go about this? Her refills are free but needs to return to base to get ingredients.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Inzombiac posted:

I need some crafting advice.

One of my players in this Hunter game is playing a science nerd who is all about potions and elixers. I'm trying to balance it by making it like a Vampire dicipline but it's proving to be difficult. To throw, say a fire potion, she rolls (STR+weaponry+potions) where "potions" is a 1-5 rank dicipline. Each rank grants her access to a set of potions. Usually 5 per rank. She's got a bag to hold them and the limiter is she only gets one of each per day.

Is there a better way to go about this? Her refills are free but needs to return to base to get ingredients.

Isn't Elixir a core Hunter endowment? Just go from there.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I Am Just a Box posted:

To get to Shadow California, you just want to take Phantom Five down from our Washington and drive until you reach the outer darkness. If you run into prehuman spectres from beyond the dying stars, you went too far, stop for gas and ask a spectre for directions.

Once in Occulted Sacramento, take Darkest 80 towards the setting sun, through Fairfield of Death and Shadowed Vallejo, and finally into Forgotten Contra Costa and on to Black Oakland- wait, poo poo, this is nWoD, nevermind.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 16, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yawgmoth posted:

Isn't Elixir a core Hunter endowment? Just go from there.

It is, however, notably weaker than your posited firebomb thing.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

Swags posted:

Anyone have a list of some three dot Wonders from mage? I just joined a game and I'm attempting to figure out how wonders work. Book isn't very forthcoming.

Here's a PDF of every published Wonder, complete with page references. I think the Revised MtAsc corebook has a chart that breaks down Wonder cost by strength etc, and Forged by Dragonfire is a book all about Wonders that might help.
That said, if you backed Mage 20th Anniversary edition then the backers pdf should be out for that - your group might be using M20 rules, in which case you'd probably do best to ask them about it or if someone could send you the Wonder rules from it since I think they were one of the specific areas of attention when tightening up rules. I can't be more specific since I haven't had the chance to go through the pdf myself yet, sorry.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Won't you take me to. Spookytown? I cannot find it. My car broke down. I hitched a ride from. A bunch of Wraiths. I didn't like them. One had no face.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Inzombiac posted:

Is there some reason she just doesn't specialize in Molotovs? I mean "fire potion" sounds cool and all, but it sounds like you're falling into the trap of houseruling extant rules.

E: If that's her character's big thing, maybe let her roll to make them extra-burny.

moths fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 16, 2015

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

pkfan2004 posted:

Won't you take me to. Spookytown? I cannot find it. My car broke down. I hitched a ride from. A bunch of Wraiths. I didn't like them. One had no face.
I can hear it in my head and it's kind of amazing.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Ambi posted:

Here's a PDF of every published Wonder, complete with page references. I think the Revised MtAsc corebook has a chart that breaks down Wonder cost by strength etc, and Forged by Dragonfire is a book all about Wonders that might help.
That said, if you backed Mage 20th Anniversary edition then the backers pdf should be out for that - your group might be using M20 rules, in which case you'd probably do best to ask them about it or if someone could send you the Wonder rules from it since I think they were one of the specific areas of attention when tightening up rules. I can't be more specific since I haven't had the chance to go through the pdf myself yet, sorry.

We are using M20, but the area on Wonders is actually pretty lacking. Thanks for the list, though.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The latest Monday Meeting notes are up. They sound very promising.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
The Ordo are working really hard to better themselves, to become the ideal vampire, whatever that might be, bravely facing unknown possibilities with the only thing they can be sure of is that their soul is on the line.

The Invictus don't need to; they have money for all that stuff. Join the Invictus.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The link talking about the Aeon Continuum right below the meeting notes has me more excited than I should be, because I really want to see Dark Eras style sourcebooks for the line. Seventies Pulp Revival Adventure, based on a mashup of Men's Adventure Novels+ Mystery solving teens cartoons.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On the topic of Beast, while for the most part the changes seem good I'm still rather worried; the "beasts have a right to abuse people" thing and everything tied to that was the worst part of the game for me, for reasons I've elaborated on previously, and it seems like that may still be lingering in some form; at least some beasts apparently do their weird horrible things to "help" people or "teach" them, and if the ways they "help" people are the same abusive things they did before and the text tries to sell this as a good thing then that will be pretty awful. I want to be optimistic but given what the first release was I am still rather nervous.

That said, I hope that all this, regardless of Beast's final quality, ends up inspiring people to run some nWoD games, crossover or otherwise. I've been looking at Demon stuff again and really want to play one.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think the goal there is that Beasts who try to help people are going to terrorize bad people as an example?

Like, you teach people that being a murderer is bad by terrorizing murderers, or teach people not to go into dangerous places by scaring the gently caress out of them when they do?

I think this is still going to end up, in some ways, kind of creepy and weird and vaguely abusive, but it's gonna be a lot better than the text was before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's too late to make the game not creepy and lovely without a total rewrite, so I'm more concerned that the writers apologize and show that this whole clusterfuck wasn't intentional by changing what they can, so we can move on to better things.