Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Busy Bee posted:

This is an a role that has a qualification of having a minimum of 1 year experience. I would say its as entry level as you can get with the company so I'm not too worried for not being able to answer some of the questions. What do the people who were conducting the interview look out for in these candidates? Are they looking for a candidate who can answer all the questions? Or a candidate who can answer the questions with best of their ability and experience? It was definitely a new experience for me - every person who interviewed me had years, if not decades, worth of experience and coming from big name companies / Ivy League schools.

Smarter companies will include something called a practical screen in interviews especially if it's a technical focused job like engineering or IT. Sometimes the questions are impossibility hard and the practical screen is seeing if you can at least attempt to answer the question without freezing up. Other times it's just trying to see your personality and how you react to a new challenging problem.

You shouldn't feel bad if you are able to least nail a few of the practical screen questions, main point of the concept is trying to sort out candidates whose skillsets don't match their glowing resumes. For example weeding out candidates who brag about multiple programming languages but can't solve/create a programming solution during the practical test.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

GobiasIndustries posted:

Depending on the timeframe of the hiring process, a physical card may not even get there in time, so email is usually better for a follow-up thank you.

That being said, I've begun sending thank-you cards via USPS for interviews that went really well where I wasn't offered the position; one of the three times I've done this I was offered a different position with no interview necessary after someone else in the company left (this was 5 months later) and the other got me a great referral that led to my previous job. The third time I don't know the outcome of since I just put them in the mail on Friday. More than anything, thank you letters show you were enthusiastic about the position and the company, so don't think of them as being pushy at all.

Nah in my mind it's not about being pushy, it's just that a physical card seems over-the-top to me especially with a thank-you email preceding it. Then again I know some people love thank-you cards, but I think if I was really enthusiastic about a position and I didn't get it, I'd be too depressed or bitter about not getting it to want to write any sort of extra note to them, short of responding to a rejection e-mail.

One thing I'd be curious to hear from people who read resumes- when looking at a resume, what percent of your efforts are spent studying the candidate's most recent employment entry in comparison to studying the rest of them? Most of the tweaking I've done of my resume during this most recent job search has been re-framing my work experience from my last job, as I figure most hiring managers want to know about your last job and if you can carry any of that over into the next role.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Revised resume for entry-level work: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_cmfqGXkblVYjdmcDhaZ0diSm8/view?usp=sharing

I looked up resume samples for students but I'm in a odd place where I don't have a lot of academic qualifications but not enough work exp at the same time.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Alder posted:

Revised resume for entry-level work: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_cmfqGXkblVYjdmcDhaZ0diSm8/view?usp=sharing

I looked up resume samples for students but I'm in a odd place where I don't have a lot of academic qualifications but not enough work exp at the same time.
It's really difficult to give meaningful feedback when you're redacting the only important information. Do you have a real version you can link over PM?

(Huge improvement formatting-wise, though, and substantially better on content.)

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
It needs to fill a full page or close to it, even if that means you have to double space everything. Regardless of the content, filling only half a page looks bad.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xandu posted:

It needs to fill a full page or close to it, even if that means you have to double space everything. Regardless of the content, filling only half a page looks bad.

Also helps for entry level/current students to include course work and maybe also school projects relevant to the job.

The above helps you try to include as many items as possible in a single page concise resume.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Vulture Culture posted:

It's really difficult to give meaningful feedback when you're redacting the only important information. Do you have a real version you can link over PM?

(Huge improvement formatting-wise, though, and substantially better on content.)

Thanks, PM sent.

Xandu posted:

Hmm---I could list my first college but not sure if I should include it since I transferred out.

etalian posted:

Also helps for entry level/current students to include course work and maybe also school projects relevant to the job.

Baruch is mostly business college and most of my courses reflect it. Still debating if I want to include more self-study or self-taught skills.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

Nah in my mind it's not about being pushy, it's just that a physical card seems over-the-top to me especially with a thank-you email preceding it. Then again I know some people love thank-you cards, but I think if I was really enthusiastic about a position and I didn't get it, I'd be too depressed or bitter about not getting it to want to write any sort of extra note to them, short of responding to a rejection e-mail.

Oh, sorry, the pushy comment wasn't for you, it was for the original poster who said thank you's seemed pushy. And yeah the physical card after rejection really really sucks to do, but I usually write it the day after when I've had time to get less upset about the denial.

Alder posted:

Thanks, PM sent.

Hmm---I could list my first college but not sure if I should include it since I transferred out.

Baruch is mostly business college and most of my courses reflect it. Still debating if I want to include more self-study or self-taught skills.

I wouldn't list your first college if you transferred (edit: unless you earned an Associates, then you can list it); all that really matters is where you're getting your degree from. Also, what type of bachelors is it? BA, BS, or something else?

I'd also move certifications to right below your education since they're similar in nature; have you earned your A+ (is it your A+? it just says '+') yet? if so, put the completion date, and if not, put the month/year you expect to earn it.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 15, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Hey it's all good. Two new questions-

1. Is it ever appropriate to follow up on a hiring decision on your own? I interviewed somewhere last week and the hiring manager was out Thursday and Friday, I was wondering if I could follow up with him today and see if they needed anything else from me. In particular I don't think he ever asked for references, and I know I could seal the deal with those.

2. I had a recruiter contact me out of the blue about a position just now. He told me where it was and I immediately decided I didn't want it (70 miles away :stare:), but decided to keep talking. He asked me what my last salary was and I said "I don't see how that's relevant right now, I'm looking forward at this point" to which he responded "Then I can't help you, companies are always going to want to know". I caved and told him since I'm not taking the position anyway, then gave him a pretty high salary requirement that he said we could probably reach. Is what he said to me BS?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

GobiasIndustries posted:

I wouldn't list your first college if you transferred (edit: unless you earned an Associates, then you can list it); all that really matters is where you're getting your degree from. Also, what type of bachelors is it? BA, BS, or something else?

I'd also move certifications to right below your education since they're similar in nature; have you earned your A+ (is it your A+? it just says '+') yet? if so, put the completion date, and if not, put the month/year you expect to earn it.

Bachelors of Business Admin. Currently, on hold due to IRL problems/funding but it looks better than totally blank :v:

Still in-process of getting A+ certs done probably in month or so depending if I can get enough money for the course/waiver.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So I went on two job interviews today. Job A seems clearly better than Job B, but either one would be a good move from my current position. The only thing is I see Job A as being a "one-or-two year then move on", whereas Job B could be longer term, or if not it will at least look better on my resume.

I'm unsure of what to do if Job A offers me something quickly. Just ask Job B if I'm in the running, and tell them I've received an offer?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

C-Euro posted:

2. I had a recruiter contact me out of the blue about a position just now. He told me where it was and I immediately decided I didn't want it (70 miles away :stare:), but decided to keep talking. He asked me what my last salary was and I said "I don't see how that's relevant right now, I'm looking forward at this point" to which he responded "Then I can't help you, companies are always going to want to know". I caved and told him since I'm not taking the position anyway, then gave him a pretty high salary requirement that he said we could probably reach. Is what he said to me BS?

Many if not most recruiters are full of poo poo. I had one spend ten minutes trying to get me to interview for a position I wasn't legally qualified for, and wouldn't have been without about ten years of retraining and experience, just to give you an idea.

He's asking for salary upfront because he doesn't want to waste his time if you're outside the mandate's range.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

FrozenVent posted:

He's asking for salary upfront because he doesn't want to waste his time if you're outside the mandate's range.

That's what I figured, though at the same time I had someone call me about a different position with a pharma giant that wanted an MS but was only going to pay $20/hr, I told him "At that price, no thanks" but he sent me the job anyway.

And yes, after my two best recruiter leads stopped returning my calls last week I'm ready to say that most recruiters are full of poo poo. But nearly every company in my field is doing contract-to-hire through staffing agencies these days :smithicide:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Contract to hire is such horseshit. I avoided it like the plague - those companies aren't willing to commit so neither am I.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

C-Euro posted:

That's what I figured, though at the same time I had someone call me about a different position with a pharma giant that wanted an MS but was only going to pay $20/hr, I told him "At that price, no thanks" but he sent me the job anyway.

And yes, after my two best recruiter leads stopped returning my calls last week I'm ready to say that most recruiters are full of poo poo. But nearly every company in my field is doing contract-to-hire through staffing agencies these days :smithicide:

I've had two recruiters over the past month try to push jobs onto me that were lower paying than my current job. Lower-paying by up to 10K.

Sure, it's low now but once you're on board, who's knows what could happen?

Yeah, once I'm on board, I've lost my position for negotiating, rear end in a top hat.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I want to apply for another internal position, but this time, after having like 5 applications disappear into a black hole that is the internal jobs portal, I want to first talk to the hiring manager directly.

He's listed there so I'm thinking just writing something to get a conversation started rather than a direct request for an interview. So maybe something like Hey Joe, I saw a new job opportunity in your team. I haven't been actively looking for anything but this looks like an interesting opportunity to blah blah... Basically like a mini cover letter.

Good/bad idea? Any tips?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Good Morning Joe,

I saw your posting on the internal job site and I would like to take a couple minutes to sit down with you and discuss the position in further detail to see if I may be a good fit. What time works for you?

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Is it a dick move if I only give one weeks notice instead of two at a job I've only been at for 2.5 months? I really hate it here.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

outlier posted:

I've had two recruiters over the past month try to push jobs onto me that were lower paying than my current job. Lower-paying by up to 10K.

Sure, it's low now but once you're on board, who's knows what could happen?

Yeah, once I'm on board, I've lost my position for negotiating, rear end in a top hat.

The best/worst was a guy who called me a few weeks ago about a particular position not too far from here, who asked me to agree to give him exclusive negotiation rights between me and the hiring company. I did, and then every day for the next two weeks I had a different recruiter (as in a different person each day) call and ask me if I was interested in that exact same position. It got to the point where as soon as they said the title and location of the position, I could say "Let me guess, it's through [Comapny] on [Shift #] and they don't want to pay more than [$X/hr], right?". Also I never heard back from that first guy, I probably should have just agreed to negotiations through everyone that called me, it's not like it was a legally-binding contract.

At least the position I interviewed for last week is a direct hire, and the one I interviewed for yesterday is a 6-month contract so I can dip out at the end of the year if I want. Of course, both of them will probably turn me down :sigh:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is it unusual to have a 'special projects/committees' section for a position on your resume? I was a member of the committee that planned company-wide events (art show, corporate bbq, etc.) and was a member of two project teams, one to implement Salesforce and another to upgrade the server that housed our document imaging system. Right now I don't have the committee on there (not sure if it'd just look like fluff) and I feel like the special projects are getting kind of lost with the rest of my standard responsibilities and I'd like them to stand out a bit more.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Susical posted:

Is it a dick move if I only give one weeks notice instead of two at a job I've only been at for 2.5 months? I really hate it here.

Why do you care? It's been 2.5 months, the bridge will be burned either way.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

Why do you care? It's been 2.5 months, the bridge will be burned either way.

Well, I wouldn't be leaving because I hate the job. I'd be leaving because of a really great offer elsewhere (it was in the making months ago, it's just finally coming around to a decision now). I just didn't know if they'd think, "eh, she was only here for 10 weeks, it's not that big a deal" or "wow she could have at least given us 2 weeks."

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
I recently got to the end of a contract with a big-name company, one that tends to raise eyebrows where I live. They found another position for me within the company and said they were going for it. However, it's been a month since I last heard about it with no response. They were acting like they needed me right away, too.

My situation is, I want a more permanent job, and I'm not waiting for the big-name company to get back to me because I don't feel like another temp contract is worth putting off other clients and opportunities. Everything so far has been contract work that lasted less than a year (with one exception being a two-year contract). How do I tailor myself to look like I'd be a good permanent, general employee instead of a contractor? How do I turn myself from a 'well, maybe we'll get around to hiring this person' to 'we need this person RIGHT NOW, bring her on board, and keep her here'?

I've also got some NDA problems in that the most relevant work I did for the big-name company is secret and can't be put in a portfolio for other big-name companies to see.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Susical posted:

Well, I wouldn't be leaving because I hate the job. I'd be leaving because of a really great offer elsewhere (it was in the making months ago, it's just finally coming around to a decision now). I just didn't know if they'd think, "eh, she was only here for 10 weeks, it's not that big a deal" or "wow she could have at least given us 2 weeks."

Why do you care what they think?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Susical posted:

They're not going to care how much you liked the job, they're going to be irritated with having to replace you so soon. Go with a week, it'll get you out of there sooner and avoid extended awkwardness.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Alright, my boss has made some truly disastrous financial decisions over the last year and is currently way behind on my paycheck, so it's way past time that I jump back into the job market. I read through the OP and have skimmed the thread, so hopefully my resume doesn't look too much like poo poo (meager contents aside). Would very much appreciate the advice of ye kind Goons.
Resume Link

A little background:
In my current position, I was hired on originally for some minor, 5-hours-a-week copywriting/social media, but quickly used that foot in the door to market my amateur web design/digital marketing abilities to the firm's clients. My capabilities have definitely grown since then, but I fear my limited knowledge of PHP/Javascript and inexperience in the field will leave me unable to actually get a "real" job in it. I was working during the gaps on my resume, but not anywhere that looks particularly good for someone with a BA—just needed to sort some things out in my life.

Again, thanks for any feedback you guys could provide.

Edit: If an application doesn't ask for a cover letter and you can only upload one file, are they just expecting that you include it as the second page of the resume or do they actually not want one? Couldn't hurt to just include one, I suppose, but in the interest of saving time...

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 17, 2015

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Apparently, my background check for this sweet job I have been conditionally offered, is being done by a company called HireRight.
I've already had to re-submit all of my work history, driving record, and criminal record (of which there is none) twice, due to a
"clerical error" on their part. This should have been done over a week ago.
Now I find out that their call center is in the Phillipines, and notorious for hard-to-understand accents. My former boss is a Southern good 'ol boy, who hates all things
non-white, and non-American.
FML.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Alder posted:

Here is a very basic critique. (The comments collapse in Word if I make any of them any longer or make any additional comments). Hope this helps!

R2ICustomerSupport fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 18, 2015

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Is it worthwhile to list job responsibilities on my resume that I only expect to have temporarily?

I work at a small non-profit. My director unexpectedly resigned, and the #2 person in our department is taking an extended leave at the same time. This is going to leave me doing a lot of administrative work, basically managing the day-to-day activities of the department, until the director position is filled. I haven't been appointed to any kind of interim position, and I have approximately a 0% chance of being given my departing boss's job permanently, but I'll have to do a certain amount of management just to keep the department running.

Should I include this as experience on my resume? How do I explain/phrase it neatly and concisely? Is something like "Oversaw [thing], [thing], and [thing] in the absence of the Director of [Department]" going to impress anyone?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Push to be made interim director if you can, but definitely list those responsibilities. It shows that you have the ability to take on that role even if it isn't your full time job.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

DustingDuvet posted:

Here is a very basic critique. (The comments collapse in Word if I make any of them any longer or make any additional comments). Hope this helps!

Alright, thanks, image saved. Free free to delete as it seems to be breaking the forums.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
So I have a friend who received an offer letter for a job that looks like it was written pretty quick, like it's got serious typos and sentence fragments, and doesn't go into detail about anything beyond pay rate, which is way less info than other offer letters i've seen. For instance, my own for my current job went into benefits, vacation, etc, this one says it comes with benefits which "are detailed in the employee handbook" which she doesn't have access to yet.

Some benefits have been covered verbally, in phone interviews, so we're not so much thinking they're making things up, but the offer is written by the company owner who we know has had a family emergency recently and may be a bit frazzled.

The company up to this point has been very above-board and professional, but this is concerning and I don't precisely know how to deal with a terribly written offer letter from the owner who is grieving. Just sign and go by verbal/email discussion? Express concerns to the HR contact?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Small company? I certainly wouldn't want to shame them by bringing up typos, but you can still politely ask that certain benefits be detailed directly in the offer.

Mine was pretty short. Job title, pay rate, very general description of benefits, and start date.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 18, 2015

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Xandu posted:

Small company? I certainly wouldn't want to shame them by bringing up typos, but you can still politely ask that certain benefits be detailed directly in the offer.

Mine was pretty short. Job title, pay rate, very general description of benefits, and start date.

Yeah super small. Probably under 30 employees.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

No Butt Stuff posted:

Good Morning Joe,

I saw your posting on the internal job site and I would like to take a couple minutes to sit down with you and discuss the position in further detail to see if I may be a good fit. What time works for you?

Thanks. Probably should've mentioned that we're not at the same location (or country) so we won't just sit down for a minute, but I get the idea. Email sent.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Sure. I had the same dilemma and had to have a co-worker walk me through the same thing like a year ago. I ended up drinking buddies with the Director who I was going to talk to for the promotion, but I left like a week before he was going to offer me a different job (that I would have taken.)

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Wow, I just came from a super intense behavioral interview. It was very personality/self-assessing focused and almost felt like a therapy session. It was cool though, to see that they really look at that type of stuff.

Anyway, what's the best way to ask for a reference? I got this job through a recruiter and apparently she requires two supervisory references before giving out any job offers (even though I've already interviewed). What is typically asked in a reference check?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Susical posted:

Wow, I just came from a super intense behavioral interview. It was very personality/self-assessing focused and almost felt like a therapy session. It was cool though, to see that they really look at that type of stuff.

Anyway, what's the best way to ask for a reference? I got this job through a recruiter and apparently she requires two supervisory references before giving out any job offers (even though I've already interviewed). What is typically asked in a reference check?
Typical punch list for a reference check:

• Whether you worked there during the period you claimed
  • Whether you had the job title and responsibilities you claimed
  • Whether you had the salary you claimed
  • Whether you left of your own accord or were fired/asked to leave

There's not much reason to go beyond that, and most employers are concerned about exposing themselves to legal liability if they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

OK, cool. No prob. Is it kosher to send my former managers a nice little email asking to put their name and number down? I only left the company about 3 months ago. (And for some dumb reason I didn't have the reference "talk" when I was leaving).