Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Sorry to break up Aids/barberchat, but today was good with money. I replaced the broken heating element in my dryer for $45 instead of replacing the whole thing for $450+ It's a 70's era Kenmore heavy duty, it's so nice to work on. Schematics, labels, nice construction. It's great having something meant to be serviced and not just replaced :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

BloodBag posted:

It's a 70's era Kenmore heavy duty, it's so nice to work on. Schematics, labels, nice construction. It's great having something meant to be serviced and not just replaced :allears:

Surely that thing uses an inning or two's worth of stadium lighting electricity to run each time?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

BigDave posted:

Didn't barbers used to pull teeth and amputate limbs?
Kinda. There were barber surgeons floating about in Europe. I think because they had a Sharpe tool available they doubled as surgeons too. They were bad rear end.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Dillbag posted:

HIV only has a few minute lifespan outside the body but Hep C can live in wet fluids outside the body for over a day.

Worse: hep c can live even in dried blood for up to 3 days.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Surely that thing uses an inning or two's worth of stadium lighting electricity to run each time?

I noticed a drop in our energy usage when we went to a modern front loader setup. Energy efficient appliances are good with money.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Nocheez posted:

I noticed a drop in our energy usage when we went to a modern front loader setup. Energy efficient appliances are good with money.

The most good with money is hang drying all your clothes. :colbert:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

bartlebyshop posted:

The most good with money is hang drying all your clothes. :colbert:

We were, but everything came out crunchy. Also some bugs got on the clothes and bit my wife on one of her boobies.

I don't care if it uses a ton of juice, I can afford $45 to keep this thing running more than I can afford $450 for some piece of poo poo made in china designed to break in 5 years.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

BloodBag posted:

We were, but everything came out crunchy. Also some bugs got on the clothes and bit my wife on one of her boobies.

We have black widows outside and it's a bit of a gamble drying my shirts out there. I haven't had a problem ... yet.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
I found a heating element online for my ~modern chinese shitbox dryer~ for $50

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin

bartlebyshop posted:

We have black widows outside and it's a bit of a gamble drying my shirts out there. I haven't had a problem ... yet.

We're in Arizona, and usually use the dryer, but my friend staying with us hung his clothes out on the line. Then he got a brown recluse bite on his rear end. So now we always use the dryer.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Appliance repair companies still exist for when your poo poo breaks. My old washer broke and I only bought a new one instead of fixing it because the part it needed was more expensive than the washer itself and it was cheaper just to get a new one. This wasn't a fancy front loader either, it was your standard top loader.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Appliance repair companies still exist for when your poo poo breaks. My old washer broke and I only bought a new one instead of fixing it because the part it needed was more expensive than the washer itself and it was cheaper just to get a new one. This wasn't a fancy front loader either, it was your standard top loader.

I was Bad with Money in college and bought a TV with a built-in VCR. Sure enough the VCR broke after I used it for the fifth or sixth time, so I hauled it to the TV repair shop in town. I got quoted a repair estimate that was half the cost of the original TV. Eventually I got a VCR for $5 at a garage sale, like I should've done in the first place instead of buying a 2-in-1.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

BigDave posted:

Didn't barbers used to pull teeth and amputate limbs?

Shave and a haircut, no legs!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I just found out my aunt, whose been perpetually bad with money her whole life, bought a horse.

BloodBag posted:

I don't care if it uses a ton of juice, I can afford $45 to keep this thing running more than I can afford $450 for some piece of poo poo made in china designed to break in 5 years.

Except that a lot of the big appliances are still made in the U.S. (or at least North America).

They are more difficult to repair, but that's partly an offshoot of planned obsolescence and that they're just more complex. It's great that you can keep it running and being able to repair poo poo yourself has a monetary value all it's own. But you aren't actually saving money when you include energy costs.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Not being able to afford a new energy efficient dryer is bad with money, but in the same way being poor is expensive. When I bought my house last year I couldn't risk getting more a more expensive washing machine and fridge due to cash flow being really tight. The difference in power use over years is quite significant.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Are the new ones really that much more efficient? At what price point to they become efficient over the old stuff? I'm genuinely curious, because all my appliances are frankly, quite old. My newest one is from 2012, and that's a 5 ton AC made by American Standard. It's done wonders for my electricity bill just because it's so much more efficient and the AC company that installed it enlarged the returns and re-did the ducting in the attic. I can highly reccomend Air Tech of Houston. Also that thing is a beast of an AC. I don't run it that hard, 78 in the day, 75 to sleep, but man it never has to run that long compared to the old amana.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
You can usually look up the performance. I don't know what the equivalent is in the US but EECA in New Zealand have an energy rating system based on typical use of appliances. It ends up with an energy star rating for quick comparison but looking at the total energy consumption per year is a better figure to use in my opinion.

http://www.energywise.govt.nz/energy-star

There have been technological improvements in air con but mostly it will come down to the design of the outdoor unit. American Standard list the efficiencies for their products so you could probably look that up. Although given that it's only 3 years old who cares. Air con is pretty drat cost effective even with the less efficient units. Fridge, freezer, washing machine and dryer are the main things to look at for energy savings. Newer washing machines tend to use a lot less water as well.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I just learned that my friend, who recently accepted a transfer to London, is running at a £300 deficit every month, between rent and general high CoL. "I have money for 10 months, then I need to move somewhere else or find a place to share with someone."

Not entirely sure whether it's BWM or it's London being bad at being a city. Probably both.

"But my boss is the best boss I've ever had!" My boss could give foot massages, fold my laundry and bring home-baked goods daily and I still wouldn't, effectively, pay £300 a month to have him.

My friend is a mid-30s well educated professional working in a well renowned international company, by the way.

bolind fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 15, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Nah your friend sucks with money. I know plenty of people in London who make it work with varying degrees of cutbacks and pain.

jaymeekae
Aug 30, 2003

I sound hot when I swear my f*cking head off.
It sounds like he's living on his own, since his contingency plan is to find someone to live with. It's really bad with money to not just get a room in a flatshare in London if you can't afford your own place... which he clearly can't.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Devian666 posted:

You can usually look up the performance. I don't know what the equivalent is in the US but EECA in New Zealand have an energy rating system based on typical use of appliances. It ends up with an energy star rating for quick comparison but looking at the total energy consumption per year is a better figure to use in my opinion.

http://www.energywise.govt.nz/energy-star

There have been technological improvements in air con but mostly it will come down to the design of the outdoor unit. American Standard list the efficiencies for their products so you could probably look that up. Although given that it's only 3 years old who cares. Air con is pretty drat cost effective even with the less efficient units. Fridge, freezer, washing machine and dryer are the main things to look at for energy savings. Newer washing machines tend to use a lot less water as well.

Also, improving the insulation in your house is way cheaper and has a far greater ROI than replacing the AC unit, and you can generally do insulation stuff yourself.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
This idiot:

http://www.vice.com/read/what-happens-if-i-dont-pay-my-student-loans-182?utm_source=vicefbus

Lives in NYC? Check
Master's Degree in Liberal Arts? Check
Over 100k in debt? Check.
Encourages others to pursue a masters degree? Check
Works for a known Sweatshop publication (Vice) making nor more than probably 45k? Check

Student loans in the US are hosed, but I certainly can't feel too bad for people like this

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
scrub

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 16, 2015

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Is your sister a minor, mentally ill, or otherwise developmentally disabled?

If no, then you're screwed. She's an adult and can do whatever she wants with her money, assuming that the inheritance didn't have conditions on its use.

Not a lawyer.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Blah blah pay $300 per month on $100k loan at 4%. No wonder the writer doesn't get paid much and is being chased by lenders. He needs to be paying $333.34 per month to cover the interest. I thought that for NYC living further out and commuting would make a huge financial difference.

The payment increase to $1100 per month seems in-line with what would be expected when it goes from low payments to 10 year repayment.

However I do think changes need to be made to limit the debt, reduce interest or provide some financial relief. Alternatively they should just take 10-15% of income like a tax and not waste more government money chasing after people. While this forces people to be better with money it looks like a lot of graduates need that, and it would be better for government cash flows.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My friend has been paying his ex's rent for the past half a year. To help her resolve her issues of underemployment, he's encouraged her to get a masters in library science. "She wants to be a school librarian! Nobody wants to do that!" he says. When I tell him that that's probably a pretty terrible idea, his first reaction is to ask me for sources on that and accuse me of fearmongering.

Goodbye, prospective roommate, I hardly knew ye

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wickerman posted:

Is your sister a minor, mentally ill, or otherwise developmentally disabled?

If no, then you're screwed. She's an adult and can do whatever she wants with her money, assuming that the inheritance didn't have conditions on its use.

Not a lawyer.

hmm yea i called my uncle, who is a lawyer, to see if some kind of a trust was possible, but now i want to back off and stay out of her issues. i just don't like that this guy who instead of helping her with her life, is the one needing the help, and he has way more education and life experience. it's retarded.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not a Children posted:

My friend has been paying his ex's rent for the past half a year. To help her resolve her issues of underemployment, he's encouraged her to get a masters in library science. "She wants to be a school librarian! Nobody wants to do that!" he says. When I tell him that that's probably a pretty terrible idea, his first reaction is to ask me for sources on that and accuse me of fearmongering.

Goodbye, prospective roommate, I hardly knew ye

My wife has a masters of library science and years of previous experience, and has been looking for a job for 3 years. Nobody is making new librarian positions, and no librarian can afford to retire, so you basically have to wait for someone to die.

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

My wife has a masters of library science and years of previous experience, and has been looking for a job for 3 years. Nobody is making new librarian positions, and no librarian can afford to retire, so you basically have to wait for someone to die.

Yep. Paying to go to library school is bad with money. I offset my costs by being a research assistant, and my degree and coursework did help me get ahead in the non-library career I eventually landed in - but six years on, I still know people grateful to be getting part-time hours in public or school libraries.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

oxsnard posted:

This idiot:

http://www.vice.com/read/what-happens-if-i-dont-pay-my-student-loans-182?utm_source=vicefbus

Lives in NYC? Check
Master's Degree in Liberal Arts? Check
Over 100k in debt? Check.
Encourages others to pursue a masters degree? Check
Works for a known Sweatshop publication (Vice) making nor more than probably 45k? Check

Student loans in the US are hosed, but I certainly can't feel too bad for people like this

My favorite bit

quote:

Sure, I'd be financially solvent, but at what cost?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Library science is probably the costliest education for the least amount of money. It's crazy how much education you need for a job making 25k a year.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Library science is probably the costliest education for the least amount of money. It's crazy how much education you need for a job making 25k a year.

My cousin's husband did the MLS thing and after a long job search, finally managed to find himself a librarian position at a community college near where my cousin found her own job. Given the location they live in, this is practically the equivalent of hitting the lottery.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

blugu64 posted:

My favorite bit

From the person she was interviewing:

quote:

Now, of course, if we could have the education without the student loans, we'd be even better off. But that's not an option.

Author/questioner is from Florida and likely qualified for 100% paid tuition via the Bright Futures Program in a low COLA state, but chose 100k in debt for a career in journalism instead. Not to victim-blame, but I find it really hard to feel sympathetic.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 16, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Kareem posted:

My wife would routinely see positions that wanted a masters in something like chemistry as well as an MLIS, with a salary in the mid-40s in Silicon Valley. I guess those people exist, somewhere?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Subjunctive posted:

My wife would routinely see positions that wanted a masters in something like chemistry as well as an MLIS, with a salary in the mid-40s in Silicon Valley. I guess those people exist, somewhere?

Where are you finding job ads with actual salaries listed? I've only ever seen "compensation based on experience" or other code words for "we're going to lowball you as hard as we can" unless it's a minimum wage hourly job.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Where are you finding job ads with actual salaries listed? I've only ever seen "compensation based on experience" or other code words for "we're going to lowball you as hard as we can" unless it's a minimum wage hourly job.

When colleges are hiring staff positions you often get a salary range I think, because it's structurally linked to the position's level, and maybe to union contract.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

It's pretty common in public sector jobs. I'm guessing this is because (a) public sector employers typically use a predefined pay grade system that (2) is public record anyway, so there's no use trying to hide it.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Krispy Kareem posted:

I hear social work and early childhood education are also up there. Yet another reason we need genuine reform here - we can't just not have anyone go into those jobs.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010
Journalism is also notorious for its poor education:pay ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cockmaster posted:

I hear social work and early childhood education are also up there. Yet another reason we need genuine reform here - we can't just not have anyone go into those jobs.

My wife also has a degree in Library Science, and from what I can tell it's not like a million people have gone for the degree, but there are definitely a lot people going for it than you think.

And yes, the degree is bad with money. I wish I saw this thread first, it was from when we were younger and didn't really think through student loans.

• Locked thread