Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Too bad your family dies at the start. I'd love to play a Chris Benoit run in FO4; get addicted to Buffout, attack your family with Unarmed weapons, then detonate yourself with explosives while they're down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Teenage girls are the most hardcore? :shrug:

idgi

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

closeted republican posted:

Too bad your family dies at the start. I'd love to play a Chris Benoit run in FO4; get addicted to Buffout, attack your family with Unarmed weapons, then detonate yourself with explosives while they're down.

There will be a mod for this.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Teenage girls are the most hardcore? :shrug:

3edgy5me wow

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It'd be weird to make a spouse and generate a baby and voiced character names and only have that in the ten minute prologue

Minorkos posted:

Anyway now that the protagonist talks, it's less likely there will be lines like "[SPEECH] You can't be President. You're an abortion of science. You need to die..." because they'll probably find out how stupid that kind of writing sounds when said out loud

This is a really good point I hadn't considered. It certainly couldn't get WORSE

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 16, 2015

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Generic Monk posted:

3edgy5me wow

busted

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Sankis posted:

There will be a mod for this.

You'll probably be able to spawn your wife into your hobo-shack via console commands and play as Chris Benoit that way, but a dedicated mod that lets you do it would be much better.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Minorkos posted:

Voiced protagonists are good if they talk and act like I want them to, but they can be bad if they don't. For this reason I can't get into the Witcher series at all. I just want to murder Geralt every time he grumbles about rapeseed or whatever

Well then I guess you're retarded and shouldn't play videogames, sorry.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Turds in magma posted:

Well then I guess you're retarded and shouldn't play videogames, sorry.

I disagree with him but calling someone retarded over video games is bad

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Eonwe posted:

Is it gross? Does it make them a shitlord?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The steam forums for this game are a hilarious shitshow. Anyway, I can see the voiced protagonist having the same problems pretty much every bioware game does with its dialogue. An NPC will be like "What do you think of this this thing I'm doing?" and your options are basically "I like this thing!" and "I don't like this thing,. stop it!" but if you pick the stop it option, instead of saying what's listed your character like, stabs them or something. That and apparently there's only two voices for each character? It's kind of unsettling when a character doesn't sound like they should.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So here's a video to get mad and angry about :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNgEO6ehqp0

Interesting parts:
-Dialog system now actually allows you to have multiple talkers at once, loving finally
-Mods for XBONE

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Eonwe posted:

I'm sorry to poop on your favorite video game but Geralt is a very uncool character and I dislike playing as him

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

closeted republican posted:

Is it gross? Does it make them a shitlord?

one isnt an attack on them as an IRL person

i hope this helps you in your quest, friend

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Minorkos posted:

I'm sorry to poop on your favorite video game but Geralt is a very uncool character and I dislike playing as him

im very angry at this turn of events i will have you know

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Bholder posted:

Interesting parts:
-Dialog system now actually allows you to have multiple talkers at once, loving finally
-Mods for XBONE

"Player agency is very really, really big for us"

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Wait what happened to the thread everyone was happy last night

(seriously what bad news surfaced that made goons sperg out)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Avocados posted:

Gender politics happened.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Avocados posted:

nothing, this is normal

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Avocados posted:

Rabid anti-Bethesda guy started making GBS threads things up, then the topic shifted to queer politics poo poo because of FO4's intro.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The thing I find weird about peoples' reaction to it is that besides the damage bonus all it does is open up new dialogue options that let you flirt with dudes and poo poo. If you don't want to be a gay guy you can just... not choose those?

Kind of a "lady doth protest too much" thing imo. Also you can just take Lady Killer too.

Tbh I pick it just because it's pretty hilarious, it basically gives you some sort of Gay Jedi Mind Trick which lets you bypass all sorts of stuff by just using your gay flirting powers

Edit: I wish it worked that way in real life because IME it just gets you punched.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 16, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

PerpetualSelf posted:

I'm pretty sure you can still point yur gun at someones groin

I disagree!
http://www.nma-fallout.com/showthread.php?178412-27-Things-About-Fallout-3-and-then-some

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Avocados posted:

It is the way of all fallout threads.

You could even say, "the fallout thread, the fallout thread never changes" (just a little meme humour there for you there haha)

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Am I the only one who was thinking about how many of those pipboys from the collector's edition are going to end up broken from people too fat to wear them still trying to cram them on?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Bholder posted:

Interesting parts:
-Mods for XBONE

Just noticed that when you get attacked by mutated animals in Fallout 4, you get radiation. I like that!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Praetorian Mage posted:

dialogue options as "GET FOOD" and "EVERYTHING'S DEAD".

Yes because that's what the character says, verbatim.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Praetorian Mage posted:

I really don't want to have my character spouting one-liners or saying "Hey, look at that!" every five minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have more things to talk about with NPCs, but I'm not sure we can expect that from the same game that's giving us such riveting dialogue options as "GET FOOD" and "EVERYTHING'S DEAD".

I kinda agree. A big part of the series is the isolation of wandering a hostile wasteland or ruins. Too much banter ruins that.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

khy posted:

Only if you have INT of 3 or lower, which is what everyone will do if our wild assumptions about mechanics are correct.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Geostomp posted:

I kinda agree. A big part of the series is the isolation of wandering a hostile wasteland or ruins. Too much banter ruins that.

And too little feels awkward and stiff when you're journeying with a trusted companion who hardly says a word and silently follows in your every footstep.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

khy posted:

A fair point, but when entire lines of dialogue are summarized with a few words in the interface, you have no idea what your character will end up saying. "GET FOOD" could translate into "I'm alone and hungry, my loyal robot friend. Do you know where I might find some sustenance?" or it could translate into "Get me some loving Insta-Mash you miserable bucket of bolts." "EVERYTHING'S DEAD" could be "My God, everything and everyone I love is gone!" or it could be "Good riddance". When you don't really know what you're going to say, you can't really do any roleplaying.

khy posted:

And too little feels awkward and stiff when you're journeying with a trusted companion who hardly says a word and silently follows in your every footstep.

By all means, have companions talk, and let me respond. But don't have my character yell "BOOM HEADSHOT" or constantly point out landmarks.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
In Fallout 4, when you hover your cursor over dialogue options, you will hear a ghostly reading of the actual lines (evocative of an internal monologue) so that you will know what the response actually says before your character says it. However, you cannot sit and mull over your options indefinitely--you will have limited time to offer responses before the game automatically selects the (typically) "neutral" response. This is to simulate the fact that you cannot sit and stare at another person/creature/thing for five minutes while you listen to your responses in your head.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In Fallout 4, when you hover your cursor over dialogue options, you will hear a ghostly reading of the actual lines (evocative of an internal monologue) so that you will know what the response actually says before your character says it. However, you cannot sit and mull over your options indefinitely--you will have limited time to offer responses before the game automatically selects the (typically) "neutral" response. This is to simulate the fact that you cannot sit and stare at another person/creature/thing for five minutes while you listen to your responses in your head.

I know you're joking, but I've heard that Alpha Protocol uses a similar system and I don't personally care for this approach. Sure, in real life you couldn't stare at someone in silence for 5 minutes to decide what to say, but you also wouldn't have to choose from several pre-written options in the first place, and you'd have the chance to go back and say "Wait, that's not what I meant" if things go badly.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

khy posted:

It's better than in Skyrim where the NPCs just never shut up and I wound up getting a mod to shut them up because if I stopped moving for even three seconds to check the area anyone following me would just unleash a never ending torrent of "I'm here!" and "Yes?" type remarks. Or the Dragon's Dogma approach where the companions just straight up never stopped talking. Yes, game, I know goblins hate fire. I learned that the first ten thousand times the NPCs said it.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
i just want EVERYBODY to realize the man making these promises is Todd "Truth Coward" Howard, AKA Todd "Infinite Quests You'll Never Be Bored" Howard, AKA Todd "We Couldn't Implement Spears Due To An Engine Implementation-ard" Howard

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Yeah, but the way he says things just makes me want to believe in him you know? Besides, he wouldn't lie to us again would he?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Bholder posted:

Interesting parts:
-Mods for XBONE

So, 13,000 lines of dialogue for each of the protagonists, huh? How's that compare to the Fallout 3 MC? I know 3 had about 40,000 lines of dialogues overall.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SunAndSpring posted:

So, 13,000 lines of dialogue for each of the protagonists, huh? How's that compare to the Fallout 3 MC? I know 3 had about 40,000 lines of dialogues overall.
Fallout 3/NV dialogue by player isn't counted because no voice acting beyond grunts and oofs

New Vegas' core game had 95K lines of spoken dialogue in total.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Fallout 3/NV dialogue by player isn't counted because no voice acting beyond grunts and oofs

New Vegas' core game had 95K lines of spoken dialogue in total.

This page suggest that the Mass Effect games have 20k, 25k, and 40k TOTAL dialog. So 13k just for the Protagonist sounds pretty good, though in a sandbox game more of them are going to be small lines.

Also in terms of DLC, man I'd pay some serious money to have whole new Protagonist dialog packs.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 16, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Well, how may lines of text did the Fallout: New Vegas MC have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

SunAndSpring posted:

That's 13k for each protagonist vs 40k combined over every character in the game.

• Locked thread