Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

meatcookie posted:

How long is it? As an immigrant myself I'm curious.
Also, as an American, gently caress the way the US does it.
I'm kinda biased though.

3 years for me, from entry to passport.

That's a little quick, and for no good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lexicon posted:

I'm increasingly of the view that the USA has it precisely correct in taxing citizens on their worldwide income regardless of residency (with credits given for taxes paid elsewhere).

Edit: side point - why the gently caress does Canada give citizenship out so easily? Hell, I'm an immigrant to Canada, and I'd say the waiting period from entry to citizenship is at the very most half as long as it ought be.

That's a stupid idea. You shouldn't have to pay taxes if you're not a resident in the country. Mind you, this looks like an issue of enforcement, if the situation is as the article describes. Normally the CRA would declare you a resident of Canada even if you're living outside of the country, if your spouse and children remain in Canada. If it is really the case that these families have one parent living in Canada with the kids and the other overseas, both spouses should be residents and declaring all of their income CRA.

As to your side point, I think the question should be more like why does Canada give citizenship so easily to rich immigrants. I've known a few graduate students who had a hell of a time getting PR and eventually citizenship.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Lexicon posted:

I'm increasingly of the view that the USA has it precisely correct in taxing citizens on their worldwide income regardless of residency (with credits given for taxes paid elsewhere).

Edit: side point - why the gently caress does Canada give citizenship out so easily? Hell, I'm an immigrant to Canada, and I'd say the waiting period from entry to citizenship is at the very most half as long as it ought be.

Definitely not. Why should you pay taxes in Canada if you live elsewhere and get zero benefit from paying those taxes?

And 3 years to become a citizen is fine. It's longer than that now anyway, since they're backed up with processing applications. My husband got PR in 2013, he'll be able to apply for his passport either late 2015 or early 2016 depending on how long we've been away (I haven't calculated it exactly yet). That's totally fine. Plus it doesn't count the (I think) two years it's now taking them to process applications.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lexicon posted:

Probably because the government eventually realized you can't run a top-class first world country that is gigantically loving huge on the taxes of only 30 million people.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

HookShot posted:

Definitely not. Why should you pay taxes in Canada if you live elsewhere and get zero benefit from paying those taxes?

Counterpoint: I live in the US currently, and as far as I know, my contributions to Social Security will be matched by Canada Pension, even though I didn't pay Canadian taxes for those years. I am getting benefits I didn't pay (Canadian) taxes for. As an expat, you can use Canadian consular services which you also aren't paying taxes to support. I'm glad I don't have to pay taxes twice but I do get more than zero benefits.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Probably because the government eventually realized you can't run a top-class first world country that is gigantically loving huge on the taxes of only 30 million people.

Permanent residents awaiting their passports still pay taxes as far as I'm aware, even if the waiting period is longer.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

bartlebyshop posted:

Counterpoint: I live in the US currently, and as far as I know, my contributions to Social Security will be matched by Canada Pension, even though I didn't pay Canadian taxes for those years. I am getting benefits I didn't pay (Canadian) taxes for. As an expat, you can use Canadian consular services which you also aren't paying taxes to support. I'm glad I don't have to pay taxes twice but I do get more than zero benefits.

You get absolutely negligible benefits compared to someone who lives in Canada though. I don't pay taxes in France and use their consulate to renew my passport every ten years. That's absolutely nothing compared to using roads, medical services, trains, getting an education for 13 years, subsidized university tuition, police and fire services, etc. Sure, it's non zero but it's so drat close to it compared to someone who actually lives in Canada that it might as well be zero.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

HookShot posted:

You get absolutely negligible benefits compared to someone who lives in Canada though. I don't pay taxes in France and use their consulate to renew my passport every ten years. That's absolutely nothing compared to using roads, medical services, trains, getting an education for 13 years, subsidized university tuition, police and fire services, etc. Sure, it's non zero but it's so drat close to it compared to someone who actually lives in Canada that it might as well be zero.

Sure. I really wish I could still pay into OHIP here.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lexicon posted:

Permanent residents awaiting their passports still pay taxes as far as I'm aware, even if the waiting period is longer.

Sure, I just mean that if you want to run the second biggest country on earth to a standard set buy the US, it's tough when you've only got 30 million people living here..

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

HookShot posted:

You definitely do benefit from having Canadian residency. In this case, the people in question benefit from parking their money in a relatively safe place (i.e., not China), while causing all sorts of other externalities. It's not unreasonable to tax them appropriately for that. Whether you want to do it on assessed property values or worldwide income or something else is a separate concern.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
So many people completely miss the fact that being a member of a healthy, stable, relatively prosperous and autonomous nation is something that comes with a price tag.

There's only so much FYGM a nation like this can take before it starts shedding these attributes.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

HookShot posted:

And 3 years to become a citizen is fine. It's longer than that now anyway, since they're backed up with processing applications. My husband got PR in 2013, he'll be able to apply for his passport either late 2015 or early 2016 depending on how long we've been away (I haven't calculated it exactly yet). That's totally fine. Plus it doesn't count the (I think) two years it's now taking them to process applications.

If he got PR in 2013, then he won't be able to apply until the same day in 2017 (plus however many days he's been absent from Canada). On June 11, they started processing applications under the new rules (four our of six years instead of three out of four).

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It takes 6 years to get UK pr status and then 1 more year for citizenship.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sure, I just mean that if you want to run the second biggest country on earth to a standard set buy the US, it's tough when you've only got 30 million people living here..

This is a little misleading, only a thin slice of Canada is actually heavily inhabited. The rest of it is empty and needs minimal investment and infrastructure compared to, say, the GTA.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

tagesschau posted:

If he got PR in 2013, then he won't be able to apply until the same day in 2017 (plus however many days he's been absent from Canada). On June 11, they started processing applications under the new rules (four our of six years instead of three out of four).

Even "four out of six" is ludicrous. If someone is intending to make Canada their new home, it would hardly be unreasonable to demand that they be physically present for a large majority of the time in each of those years.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Lexicon posted:

Even "four out of six" is ludicrous. If someone is intending to make Canada their new home, it would hardly be unreasonable to demand that they be physically present for a large majority of the time in each of those years.

They should pay for the citizenship in beaver pelts and take the test in French. Also got to be white or catholic.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

iv46vi posted:

They should pay for the citizenship in beaver pelts and take the test in French. Also got to be white or catholic.

You're right - what a hopelessly outdated suggestion I'm making

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Not too hard when 95% of them live in a 100 mile wide band on the border with the US.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

When I worked at an income-based legal aid clinic in Richmond a few years ago, I found that a disproportionate amount of clients didn't wilfully lie about their incomes, they just genuinely believed that the 30-40k/y they got as payouts from their million dollar investments qualified them as "low income" - even though they owned multiple condos and/or detached homes, drove luxury cars, etc.

They would also go to the free law student-run legal aid clinics because they didn't want to pay to get a lawyer to handle their complex international commercial transactions. :v:

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I think Vancouver finally broke my spouse.

She was out with some younger, and importantly childless, friends over the weekend who are all buying $500K 700sqft condos, and having the time of their lives. I think she is now moving into the maybe I will die next year so #YOLO camp, is now thinking about buying a house, the future be damned. This coming from a Japanese women, so she is going live to be 103.

I cannot get over how much of a cancer home ownership actually is in our society. Hopefully something changes soon because if it doesn't, and I cannot convince her to leave this place...

:negative:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ocrumsprug posted:

So I think Vancouver finally broke my spouse.

She was out with some younger, and importantly childless, friends over the weekend who are all buying $500K 700sqft condos, and having the time of their lives. I think she is now moving into the maybe I will die next year so #YOLO camp, is now thinking about buying a house, the future be damned. This coming from a Japanese women, so she is going live to be 103.

I cannot get over how much of a cancer home ownership actually is in our society. Hopefully something changes soon because if it doesn't, and I cannot convince her to leave this place...

:negative:

Peer pressure can be a bitch. I guess I'm pretty lucky that I don't know a single person locally who owns or thinks owning is a good idea.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

$500k for 700sq feet is insane. I don't know in what world that's good value for money.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah the worst is that with our income we should be easily able to afford a house, if it weren't for the bubble. But since the bubble is still going along tickity-boo, everyone is still jumping in head first. Previously she was with me that it was not good value for money, but eventually the bears start to capitulate.

I am just hoping that I am clever enough to direct that building resentment away from me, since I'll be damned if I am buying a house here. Hopefully there is a convenient ethnic group I can direct her ire at, as that seems to be the go to idea.

~~~

As an aside, it would probably be a lot easier to manage the peer pressure if everyone that talked about their three week holiday to Cuba would mention that they added a year to their mortgage to pay for it.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
ocrumsprug, I'm right there with you man.

I'm meeting halfway by renting in the city but buying a cheap vacation house in the country. Best of both worlds!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

tagesschau posted:

He was in Canada for a while before that time, he gets to count the time he was in Canada without PR as 1/2 days towards citizenship.

blah_blah posted:

You definitely do benefit from having Canadian residency. In this case, the people in question benefit from parking their money in a relatively safe place (i.e., not China), while causing all sorts of other externalities. It's not unreasonable to tax them appropriately for that. Whether you want to do it on assessed property values or worldwide income or something else is a separate concern.
Yeah, but if you have property in Canada, you're considered a Canadian resident for tax purposes and you do have to declare your worldwide income and pay taxes on it in Canada. I have no problem with that. I'm talking about non-residents for tax purposes, the people that have, for all intents and purposes, completely cut ties with Canada except for the occasional visit home or whatever.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

HookShot posted:

Yeah, but if you have property in Canada, you're considered a Canadian resident for tax purposes and you do have to declare your worldwide income and pay taxes on it in Canada. I have no problem with that. I'm talking about non-residents for tax purposes, the people that have, for all intents and purposes, completely cut ties with Canada except for the occasional visit home or whatever.

Is this true? Personally, I think you should only be considered a tax resident of any country if you actually live there 183 days per year or more, or spend the greatest portion of your time in the country. Non-residents (for taxation purposes) should have to pay tax on any income generated in Canada, as well as capital gains tax on the proceeds of the sale of any Canadian assets, but I don't think owning property in a country, in and of itself, should qualify one as a Canadian tax resident.

On the other hand, the Canadian tax system is reasonable enough that, if this is the case and our taxation treaties with other nations allow for property ownership in Canada to qualify one for Canadian tax residency instead of tax residency in the other jurisdiction (where the centre of one's business interests are located, or where one spends more than 183 days per year), it is, in many cases, hugely advantageous for Canadian citizens. Those other countries would be fools to agree to that, mind you.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

1500quidporsche posted:

$500k for 700sq feet is insane. I don't know in what world that's good value for money.

That's not even expensive in most of nice Vancouver.

Also my brother in law got kiwi citizenship in about three weeks by mail, just because his dad was born there. But Chinese are buying up everything there too and the job market is even worse.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

PT6A posted:

Is this true? Personally, I think you should only be considered a tax resident of any country if you actually live there 183 days per year or more, or spend the greatest portion of your time in the country. Non-residents (for taxation purposes) should have to pay tax on any income generated in Canada, as well as capital gains tax on the proceeds of the sale of any Canadian assets, but I don't think owning property in a country, in and of itself, should qualify one as a Canadian tax resident.

On the other hand, the Canadian tax system is reasonable enough that, if this is the case and our taxation treaties with other nations allow for property ownership in Canada to qualify one for Canadian tax residency instead of tax residency in the other jurisdiction (where the centre of one's business interests are located, or where one spends more than 183 days per year), it is, in many cases, hugely advantageous for Canadian citizens. Those other countries would be fools to agree to that, mind you.

Yes, it's true. It's considered a "significant residential tie" to Canada.

Without those kinds of rules you do realize that the ultra rich would just split their time between three countries and not pay any tax at all anywhere ever, right?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

Also my brother in law got kiwi citizenship in about three weeks by mail, just because his dad was born there. But Chinese are buying up everything there too and the job market is even worse.
When I went to New Zealand last year they gave me a resident permit just for the hell of it (or by accident, I'm legitimately not sure, I didn't notice until after I was past customs). I could have stayed there forever if I wanted to, but it expired when I left the country.

Getting a passport quickly from a country where your parents were born is pretty common though. I got my French one in a very similar period of time.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

1500quidporsche posted:

In the world? Nowhere.

Quite a steal if its located in one of the Lagrange points.

In that situation it'd be a deal some would say is.... out of this world.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Get out. There's no room here for your autistic math engineering jargon. In this thread we only post on terms that can be understood in the simple language of psychology majors

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

If the place is in a great location and luxurious and good amenities then that doesn't seem too out of the ordinary for Vancouver.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I bought 10,000 cu ft at the center of L1. Gotta get in now, you know they aren't making more stable orbits there!!

Cultural Imperial posted:

Get out. There's no room here for your autistic math engineering jargon. In this thread we only post on terms that can be understood in the simple language of psychology majors

I'm sorry I didn't appreciate your ironic attempt to troll me with a physics analogy, are you happy now?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

eXXon posted:

I bought 10,000 cu ft at the center of L1. Gotta get in now, you know they aren't making more stable orbits there!!

They have mountains out west that we could put a conventional rocket sled track up the side of and assure access to L1 with cheap light boosters, but nooooo more condos

I'm sorry I get excited whenever someone mentions lagrange points, I would fill your initial bernal sphere with BC bud

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
loving NIMBYs keep getting the space elevator project killed. What the gently caress, morning clearance to launch isn't gonna come any faster if we keep adding more orbiters to the mix.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Bob Rennie's theorisation of the constitutive and disciplinary properties of discursive practices within socio‐political relations of power is a demonstration of the postmodern concern with how language works to not only produce meaning but also particular kinds of objects and subjects upon whom and through which particular relations of power are realised.  Thus, text work through discourse analysis drawing on Mainland Chinese aspires to dissect, disrupt and render the familiar strange by interrogating the Investor Immigrant Program.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

EvilJoven posted:

loving NIMBYs keep getting the space elevator project killed. What the gently caress, morning clearance to launch isn't gonna come any faster if we keep adding more orbiters to the mix.

You joke but gently caress a space elevator I'm talking something we can build *now*

but I don't want to be another *that guy* in this thread, sorry guys

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 45 minutes!
Come on people the last thing we need is more Martians coming to Earth and putting their moon money into real estate.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, we've got enough celestials coming here and dumping their money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, we've got enough celestials coming here and dumping their money.

shots fired