Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
i for one am a little wary of going into something that professional builders constructed that had to be built "twice"

i am even more wary of a man who fails so shamefully at the snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

evilclosetmonkey posted:

I absolutely hate this building in Kansas City, KS

the people with small windows must resent the people with big windows.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

dr_rat posted:

Always wondered why they never painted it.

Does make for pretty impressive canvas for when ever they want to project video stuff onto though:

although thats only happens like once a year.

I saw this group at the Ghent Light Festival this year and compared to all other shows this is some fairly freaking garish kitsch

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

the people with small windows must resent the people with big windows.

History is but the struggle of the classes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Has MIT’s Stata Center been posted? I don’t recall seeing it, but it was designed by thread favourite Frank Gehry.

The view from the street is not great. Let’s step inside and check out the courtyard.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 16, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I spent the afternoon lounging on the roof of a Gehry building, glad some of his work is better than that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oh, its the "my child can do better art than this modern stuff" of architecture.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Angela Christine posted:

Oh, its the "my child can do better art than this modern stuff" of architecture.

it's the "my child could design better roofs that don't leak and not create useless space inside with sharp interior angles" school of architecture

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
this piece of poo poo is gehry's only contribution to australia thankfully

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

strap on revenge posted:

this piece of poo poo is gehry's only contribution to australia thankfully

Lol this owns, it's like he crumpled up his blueprints and threw them out, and the builder fished them out of the bin and built the crumpled version

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Load bearing giraffe.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Bogan Krkic posted:

Lol this owns, it's like he crumpled up his blueprints and threw them out, and the builder fished them out of the bin and built the crumpled version

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Lmao, this is it

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
That's acutely closer to reality than you might think. A friend of mine had a lecturer during their architecture courses who pretty much taught that as a way to get inspired.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Angela Christine posted:

In addition, please tell me it's named after Stata, noted maker of statistical software made entirely obsolete by R :allears:.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Is this the one where every time it snows they have to close the sidewalk because of the slanted roof over the entrance?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did someone leave the window open? I can feel a giraffe in here.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
frank gehry is a bitch

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
Wean Hall, at Carnegie Mellon University

I've always been a big fan of the giant windowless cube sticking out of the side.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Platystemon posted:

Has MIT’s Stata Center been posted? I don’t recall seeing it, but it was designed by thread favourite Frank Gehry.

The view from the street is not great. Let’s step inside and check out the courtyard.

This is a literal pile of trash.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Phthisis posted:

I've always been a big fan of the giant windowless cube sticking out of the side.

The cube is a big lecture hall with stadium seating. The internal dimensions are all hosed up though.

God, it's such an ugly building.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Slanderer posted:

The cube is a big lecture hall with stadium seating.
Seems like it'd be a fairly smallish one, unless those windows are monster huge.

Slanderer posted:

The internal dimensions are all hosed up though.
Oh, like the Tardis, then.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

flosofl posted:

Seems like it'd be a fairly smallish one, unless those windows are monster huge.

Oh, like the Tardis, then.

Here's a link with pics:
https://www.cmu.edu/computing/class-event/classrooms/wean/7500.html

The way they spaced out the seating levels meant that the stairs are staggered--one normal width stair followed by one double-width stair (or wider), the whole way down. There is no way to walk about these stairs quickly and without looking kinda dumb.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Phthisis posted:

Looks like a hungry hungry hippo.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Looks like a hungry hungry hippo.

Here's a sumo wrestler building

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Slanderer posted:

The way they spaced out the seating levels meant that the stairs are staggered--one normal width stair followed by one double-width stair (or wider), the whole way down. There is no way to walk about these stairs quickly and without looking kinda dumb.

Holy poo poo I forgot about that. I always sat at the very back to avoid them.

Also the seats are all flat and everything is at right angles. It would have been uncomfortable except that the seat backs were great for propping your legs up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Slanderer posted:

Here's a link with pics:
https://www.cmu.edu/computing/class-event/classrooms/wean/7500.html

Yeah, that's about what I figured from the exterior shot. Except way more uncomfortable looking than my imagination thought it would be.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
When gehry does something good though, it's real good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYTti5FkOjE

(I worked on this & all the marketing for this building. i'm very happy it's his best too)

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

cubicle gangster posted:

When gehry does something good though, it's real good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYTti5FkOjE

(I worked on this & all the marketing for this building. i'm very happy it's his best too)

Nice video! I feel like an interior shot looking out of a bay window might have been appropo given his warmup talk there.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Noggin Monkey posted:

Nice video! I feel like an interior shot looking out of a bay window might have been appropo given his warmup talk there.

I think it's more the idea of a bay window. I think very few, if any, of the apartments have what could be considered a bay window, but that doesn't stop the building from looking really good.
http://www.newyorkbygehry.com/#!new-york-by-gehry

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
This is the European Court of Human Rights, not just just a grain silo:

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

joat mon posted:

I think it's more the idea of a bay window. I think very few, if any, of the apartments have what could be considered a bay window, but that doesn't stop the building from looking really good.
http://www.newyorkbygehry.com/#!new-york-by-gehry

used to work across foley square from this building and can confirm it's not poo poo. Except for that one side that's just flat, unlike the others.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
it'll hold https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9WM1u5YwBg

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
This is the fancy new (3-year old) business building for good ol' Rutgers University. It replaced a very traditional and much, much smaller business building that still sits nearby.

The fancy entrance you see in the front? With the cool-looking massive windows? Yeah, nobody takes that, because the front entrance leads to literally nothing, just a road and a forest. All the bus stops, dorms, and other buildings are behind the business building, so everyone just takes a small back entrance instead.

The interior is just a clusterfuck of elevated rooms and obscenely large staircases. The office portion of the building is comprised of long, plain, straight-white hallways with no flourish, decoration, or color of any kind.

Also, the windows are only slightly transparent, because they have to blend in to the outside exterior.

But, I still think it looks cool. :colbert:

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
When you make your movie theater make sure it doesn't fall apart.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpRAHkq-IFo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Imagine the epigrams: "Died how he lived, singing some unintelligible German to the tune of Här kommer Pippi Långstrump."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yaos posted:

Were they showing Titanic?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Jerry Cotton posted:

Were they showing Titanic?

Singing in the Rain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Yaos posted:

Apparently it happened at a corporate team building exercise:

"SMH posted:

Six people are in hospital after the roof of a cinema caved in on hundreds of people at a team-building event for an Australian business in Cebu City in the Philippines.

Information technology company Dreamscape Networks was holding a brand relaunch event for technical support centre staff, partners and other guests at the newly renovated shopping centre, Ayala Center Cebu on Monday night.

Dreamscape is the parent holding company for Australian internet domain name provider Crazydomains.com.au which was founded in Perth.

Hospital is usually preferable to corporate team building exercise. Good job shoddy construction and maintenance people!

• Locked thread