Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A translation that makes sense will be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Beef Waifu posted:

When I saw tastefully I mean I want it the exact same dammit

Crossdressing Cloud better be in or I'm boycotting
Crossdressing Cloud is likely to still be in, but...

I would like them to keep the "getting gangbanged by a dozen brodudes" part as well

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

MonsieurChoc posted:

They should have given it to the Lightning Returns team, so we could dress Cloud in pretty dresses for the entire game.

I feel like there's a non-zero chance of this happening anyway

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I hope since it's an honest to god remake they do actually change things significantly enough while leaving in enough to maintain the "soul" of the game itself.

Clean up the script, reframe some scenes and shorten a few, add some modern QoL features, clarify that materia swap exists and owns, add some bonus bosses from the extended FFVII universe, don't gently caress up the music.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bravely Default encounter rate setting, bitches

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

It would be cool if they had people speak some of the nonsense that original translation team wrote as an alternate voice track option

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Barudak posted:

Clean up the script, reframe some scenes and shorten a few, add some modern QoL features, clarify that materia swap exists and owns, add some bonus bosses from the extended FFVII universe, don't gently caress up the music.

There is no way the combat system isn't getting redone. I could bet money it's an active combat system kingdom hearts style. Which honestly the game needs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DID THE ORIGINAL JAPANESE HAVE TRAIN METAPHORS

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Terper posted:

Bravely Default encounter rate setting, bitches

!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and there's no way they make the game's combat kingdom hearts style. just no way. people would riot.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I would like them to keep the "getting gangbanged by a dozen brodudes" part as well

As they should

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'd like to believe they will also keep Barret posing in his sailor's costume in the bathroom and shouting "there's someone in here" if you try and enter.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
There's bound to be a bunch of other scenes that are gonna get changed to some degree, since stuff that was ok in low polygons aren't gonna fly as well in modernized graphics. Crossdressing Cloud is the funny example, Cloud losing his mind and punching Aerith, not as funny.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I hope since it's an honest to god remake they do actually change things significantly enough while leaving in enough to maintain the "soul" of the game itself.

Like hopefully the game has a kingdom hearts style active battle system.

That's a terrible idea. Kingdom hearts has a garbage battle system.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Leave in "This guy are sick"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

It would be cool if they had people speak some of the nonsense that original translation team wrote as an alternate voice track option

Oh god, I didn't think of that, don't touch the translation just have it voiced.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

That monologue over the remake trailer was less comprehensible than anything in the original game. Fingers crossed for 70+ hours of dueling purple prose. Cait Sith is always reciting Macbeth in the background.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

and there's no way they make the game's combat kingdom hearts style. just no way. people would riot.

it's a mess though because lots of people who will buy the game don't actually like turn based combat either

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oxxidation posted:

That monologue over the remake trailer was less comprehensible than anything in the original game. Fingers crossed for 70+ hours of dueling purple prose. Cait Sith is always reciting Macbeth in the background.

this guy are sick

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

That monologue over the remake trailer was less comprehensible than anything in the original game.
probably because it was written by japanese people for whom english is a second language

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

it's a mess though because lots of people who will buy the game don't actually like turn based combat either

gently caress em

e: Since when do you care about what other people like or dislike

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Turn based > Active for JRPGs for the most part, so I'm glad they'll be making this huge loving project of a turn based game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't really like turn-based combat, I sure do play a lot of games with it in though.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Remember that time FFX absolutely nailed turn-based combat in a way that was different from ATB while retaining a faster pace than Dragon Quest poo poo, and then they totally discarded it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Remember that time FFX absolutely nailed turn-based combat in a way that was different from ATB while retaining a faster pace than Dragon Quest poo poo, and then they totally discarded it?

Hey, EA reused it though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i don't like ffx's combat much

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FFX is not faster paced than DQ

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

X-2 combat and character progression was probably the pinnacle of the series

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it works out well enough since the animations are fast as hell, but i don't think ffx even approaches the best what you can do with a turn based system

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

That's not game dialogue, that's goofy "epic" speak for "yes we're really doing this motherfuckers".

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 16, 2015

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

FFX is not faster paced than DQ

And in any case FF's focus on loud and flashy makes it very difficult to be faster than DQ's simpler presentations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Oxxidation posted:

Nah FF7's translation is one where people always bring up the "so bad it's endearing" lines like this guy are sick but nobody mentions the vast majority of the translation just being kinda shoddy (constantly messing up a/an, etc.)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

FFX Combat:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Except the didn't have a "rally solid" past couple of years. The big thing that gave them a good 2014 is that FF14 managed an unprecedented come back that nobody expected and it's gone from "oh gently caress we might go bankrupt again and need to merge with another company to ruin" to " YoshiP and his team can do no wrong."

Except... they have. FFXIV's been the star of the show, sure, but pretty much every single release they've made, in Japan and overseas, in the past two years has met or beaten expectations.

I know it feels weird to say because we've gotten so used to them being fuckups, but Square's gone from strength to strength for basically the entire duration of this console generation so far. Whatever FFVIIRe may be, it isn't a desperation move. It's capitalizing on success and giving tons of fans (really, fans outside this thread/forum) what they've been begging for for years.

This is getting kind of recriminatory, though, so I'll drop it. I really don't think this is desperate Square, though.

You want to know what I'm salty about, I'm salty over the fact that VII gets the HD PS4 remake treatment and VI gets that cellphone port. Man, Square, f you. :mad:)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

That's not game dialogue, that's goofy "epic" speak for "yes we're really doing this motherfuckers.
noted pedogame defender motto speaks out on this serious issue

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Makes you wonder why they blue-balled us with the port announcement last year.

They couldn't even get that out on time.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

mycot posted:

FF7's translation is one where people always bring up the "so bad it's endearing" lines

beacause you are a puppet

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Personally I'm ready for a whole game of Cait's Scottish accent.

And Red might actually get one more than one spoken line this time.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Barudak posted:

The first thing that came to mind.

Emerald Weapon.

IN HD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Yeah, I dunno where the 'desperate SE' stuff comes from, unless I guess you're focused entirely on FFXV and nothing else.