Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

Except... they have. FFXIV's been the star of the show, sure, but pretty much every single release they've made, in Japan and overseas, in the past two years has met or beaten expectations.

I know it feels weird to say because we've gotten so used to them being fuckups, but Square's gone from strength to strength for basically the entire duration of this console generation so far. Whatever FFVIIRe may be, it isn't a desperation move. It's capitalizing on success and giving tons of fans (really, fans outside this thread/forum) what they've been begging for for years.

This is getting kind of recriminatory, though, so I'll drop it. I really don't think this is desperate Square, though.

Aren't they making money hand over fist from their mobile division? I expected them to just divert all resources into mobile gaming and follow the money but it looks like they're investing the windfall into more big-budget CGI extravaganza projects instead. I guess they like their niche as the flashiest big-name publisher in the biz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
They're gonna butcher the fun parts of the old script and add more whiny Cloud poo poo. Cid will be made less funny. Let's all be 16 year old goth kids again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DanielCross posted:

The first thing that came to mind.

Emerald Weapon.

IN HD.

P0801 Aire Tam Storm

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

They're gonna have to change a bunch of poo poo just because of the way the original game was framed. I doubt we'll be able to see through the ceilings of certain rooms in the remake.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shinjobi posted:

They're gonna butcher the fun parts of the old script and add more whiny Cloud poo poo. Cid will be made less funny. Let's all be 16 year old goth kids again.

I always am.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

mycot posted:

Nah FF7's translation is one where people always bring up the "so bad it's endearing" lines like this guy are sick but nobody mentions the vast majority of the translation just being kinda shoddy (constantly messing up a/an, etc.)

I think it's partially because the first disc is translated better than the second disk so this guy are sick or the various incomprehensible lines in the honeybee inn catch you off guard whereas by the time you hit the second disk and every other line starts being hosed up somehow you're desensitized to it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh man there's so much cool poo poo in 7 that will look fantastic blown up in scale

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That loving Sned posted:

Makes you wonder why they blue-balled us with the port announcement last year.

They couldn't even get that out on time.

Unless they weren't planning on this, then. We don't know when it came together.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Where the gently caress is my FFV Remake, SE?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

How do you completely gently caress up basic facts about Square's financial status when Sunning is linking and reporting Square's profits every other week, literally last week saying Square' celebrating an instant hit with their latest mobile title.

Unless you're some kind of gimmick.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Oh man there's so much cool poo poo in 7 that will look fantastic blown up in scale

Yeah.

Just having a cohesive style will be nice rather than even the FMV scenes being a weird mix of SD and realistic characters.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Pureauthor posted:

Where the gently caress is my FFV Remake, SE?

Bravely Default has already been released.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I really do wonder what they'll do with the combat. I doubt they'll do anything as drastic as turning it into something like Kingdom Hearts, but I don't think they'll leave it exactly the same either.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Look. I just want the goddamn tea and the let's mosey lines. Give me those, S-E, and I am happy enough.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

mycot posted:

Nah FF7's translation is one where people always bring up the "so bad it's endearing" lines like this guy are sick but nobody mentions the vast majority of the translation just being kinda shoddy (constantly messing up a/an, etc.)

In the current FF7 Let's Play, the LPer had to walk everyone through a major plot point because the translation was too lovely to understand.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Motto posted:

I really do wonder what they'll do with the combat. I doubt they'll do anything as drastic as turning it into something like Kingdom Hearts, but I don't think they'll leave it exactly the same either.

'Press X when the hit connects to guarantee a critical hit'

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Pureauthor posted:

'Press X when the hit connects to guarantee a critical hit'

Ah, the VIII route.

I'm just hoping they go 10-2. That was always the logical conclusion of ATB.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Another thing I hope they keep in (And maybe clean up slightly) is Cloud randomly babbling on about Xenogears.

EDIT: Also that game could arguably use a remake more than FF7.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Keep going?

Off course!
No, way!

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
All I know is that this is one step closer to the FFIX remake I so desperately desire.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I never played Parasite Eve, is this specifically a reference to the Third Birthday design, because if so lol
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=168174602&postcount=294

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Motto posted:

I really do wonder what they'll do with the combat.

I'm going to guess only control one person but only in the most token way imaginable, other 2 are AI controlled, pretends to be not-ATB but it is anyway and has either in-fight placements you either can control but doesn't matter or cannot control but does.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Raxivace posted:

Another thing I hope they keep in (And maybe clean up slightly) is Cloud randomly babbling on about Xenogears.

EDIT: Also that game could arguably use a remake more than FF7.

Have Grahf show up as a bonus boss, yelling incoherently about THE POWER.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

TravelLog posted:

All I know is that this is one step closer to the FFIX remake I so desperately desire.

That's right, keep the dream alive.

But that's not Aya

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You're absolutely out of your mind if you think they're going to change the combat

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-Type-0-HD-PlayStation-4/dp/B00KWJ4JW4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434424435&sr=8-1&keywords=type-o

I keep looking at this. Would this be a good deal now, including the demo?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

You're absolutely out of your mind if you think they're going to change the combat

They're not going to change the core elements, but I can't see them not tweaking or adding anything at all.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I hope they google "How to bring aeris back to life", pick the stupidest thing they find and make it work in the remake.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I hope they implement a way to "bring Aeris back to life" and when you complete the steps it deletes your saves and boots you back at the beginning of the game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SE has done major gameplay tweaks in every title they've ever released. I doubt they're going to jettison Materia or anything, but the standard "let's all stand in two lines and whack each other til one side bleeds out" combat is going to be revamped in some way.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I bet they do have some joke or something in there about it

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mymla posted:

I hope they google "How to bring aeris back to life", pick the stupidest thing they find and make it work in the remake.

No, they make it seem to work untilt he very last point, and then you unlock an achievement called "Get Over It". Aerisths stays dead.

We are sad, because in the original game she was actually cool, but we understand because bringing her back would be a total cop out. Also the fanboy tears are delicious.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yo is there any video live from the theater so you can hear the crowd noise yet since they kept killing the crowd mics like idiots

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TravelLog posted:

I love FFIX to death and have since I was a child, but for me it's one of those games that I can't imagine without the PSX's limitations.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Have Grahf show up as a bonus boss, yelling incoherently about THE POWER.

Yesssss. This is something I need in my life.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Barudak posted:

I hope they implement a way to "bring Aeris back to life" and when you complete the steps it deletes your saves and boots you back at the beginning of the game.

Ah yes, the Trolled by Cavia solution. A better idea.

Oh man, they should totally get Yoko Taro onboard.

Edit: Someone way back found some of the original assets of FFIX. An ideal remake of that game would simply use those, remake the sprites, and speed up the combat.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=551612

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

I hope they cancel KH3 in a real monkey paw move

Haha, that would be hilarious. Truly the ultimate monkey paw.

Yeah, I'd expect the same or very similar combat with some new materia, a new bonus weapon boss or two, maybe some tidbits from the extra story they've tacked on to FF7 since its release, and maybe some new Limit Breaks (I could see there being 5 Limit Break ranks instead of 4 for instance). The story will generally be the same with some sensible tweaks/additions, even if it's a remake I have to think they'll make some changes. I'd definitely be shocked if Aeris isn't more of a presence after her death through visions and the like, for instance, and I also wouldn't be surprised if they include a way to bring her back to life for a "good ending" scenario.

But my god, the Limit Break and Summoning animations alone... :vince:. You've got two years and you've hopefully already been working on it a bit Square-Enix, make this happen in 2017 and I'll never stop loving you.

epitasis posted:

yo is there any video live from the theater so you can hear the crowd noise yet since they kept killing the crowd mics like idiots

Yeah I'd love to see this as well. All I can picture is sheer pandemonium and endless cheering. Hopefully someone at least had their iPhone out and throws it up on YouTube.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I hope the FF7 remake is a success so they'll remake 9.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hellioning posted:

I hope the FF7 remake is a success so they'll remake 9.

9 was the pinnacle of the pre-rendered age and still looks good today. It doesn't need a remake, it needs a re-issue on some hardware that can actually handle its mojo.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I have to imagine that they'll title it Final Fantasy VII: Reunion. Just kinda sounds perfect to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I am gonna laugh my nuts off if they roll any of the goofy poo poo from Dirge of Cerberus or Crisis Core into this.