Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Can someone explain that dude's name to me? I don't read the ONE version and I don't speak Japanese so I don't get the pun and I don't know what mumen rider means and I don't get why he's called licenceless rider when Unlicensed Rider makes way more sense as a name to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It's a Kamen Rider joke, which is why Common Rider is so goddamn clever.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

ChairMaster posted:

Can someone explain that dude's name to me? I don't read the ONE version and I don't speak Japanese so I don't get the pun and I don't know what mumen rider means and I don't get why he's called licenceless rider when Unlicensed Rider makes way more sense as a name to me.

He's an homage to Kamen Rider, a tokusatsu hero who drives around on a motorcycle. Kamen, Mumen. The added humor is that he really doesn't have a license so he can't ride a motorcycle and suffices with a bike instead.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Common Rider is loving perfect and it's kind of disappointing the localization went with Mumen over that.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I don't get why you guys like Common Rider, it has nothing to do with his theme. I mean, Mumen Rider is bad too, but Common Rider isn't any better.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Puns are good.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Puns are good.
And more to the point, it's a pretty decent localization in that it keeps the intent of the joke (he's a poor schlub of a hero) while keeping the entire name in english while the other options don't. Licenseless Rider breaks the pun, while Mumen Rider is just the Japanese name.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The intent of the joke is that he's Kamen Rider on a bike because he has no motorcycle license. Common Rider doesn't reference this at all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh poo poo, I started a translation argument, didn't I? Sorry about that.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

AnonSpore posted:

The intent of the joke is that he's Kamen Rider on a bike because he has no motorcycle license. Common Rider doesn't reference this at all.

Neither does Mumen Rider because it's not an English word and it's an English translation. Like no one in this thread has even mentioned the translation, I assume it means license-less, but that's not going to be clear to most people reading it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Do you have a better translation than Common Rider? That references this and tries to keep the pun?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

AnonSpore posted:

Common Rider works on two levels.

If you know about Kamen Rider, it's a great pun. If you don't, it still fits since he's pretty much just an average guy dedicated to doing good.

"Common" Rider is pretty much a perfect translation.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh poo poo, I started a translation argument, didn't I? Sorry about that.

Nakama

Kild posted:

Do you have a better translation than Common Rider? That references this and tries to keep the pun?

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Neither does Mumen Rider because it's not an English word and it's an English translation. Like no one in this thread has even mentioned the translation, I assume it means license-less, but that's not going to be clear to most people reading it.

I didn't say Mumen Rider was good, I said that Common Rider was really far from "loving perfect." I'm not giving a suggestion of my own, I'm mentioning why I think Common Rider is lacking.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Nakama

I didn't say Mumen Rider was good, I said that Common Rider was really far from "loving perfect." I'm not giving a suggestion of my own, I'm mentioning why I think Common Rider is lacking.

Something can be lacking and still be best fit/perfect.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I suppose. I'll leave it at that then.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

It sounds like Kamen and it redirects the joke to being about an ordinary schlub. Better imho than a mumen rider joke that keeps the technical joke but doesn't actually replace it with anything funny.

Minor point overall though.

/edit i see we've resolved this argument. I will continue my campaign for a boku no hero crossover now

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

He's an homage to Kamen Rider, a tokusatsu hero who drives around on a motorcycle. Kamen, Mumen. The added humor is that he really doesn't have a license so he can't ride a motorcycle and suffices with a bike instead.

Shameless plug but if anyone wants to get into Kamen Rider as a series I recommend starting with Kuuga. It's got one of the most feel-good main characters out of the current generation of riders, and the action and story are very well written.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Brought To You By posted:

Shameless plug but if anyone wants to get into Kamen Rider as a series I recommend starting with Kuuga. It's got one of the most feel-good main characters out of the current generation of riders, and the action and story are very well written.

I prefer Double/W, I mean who doesn't like swank, hard-boiled detectives? :getin:

MaskedTai
May 30, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I prefer Double/W, I mean who doesn't like swank, hard-boiled detectives? :getin:

As another die hard Kamen Rider fan, I'd have to say these are both great choices for those who have a modicum of interest. But that's neither here nor there in a OPM thread.

I think Common Rider, even if it's not a 1-to-1 translation from Japanese, is a great compromise.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Kamen Rider W is probably the closest I've come to actually being invested in a tokusatsu show so there's my recommendation.

Kamen Rider Black is pretty good for a laugh though. Plus the bad guys show up in Inferno Cop.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Also a good choice but MaskedTai is right, wrong thread. I just can't help but try and get people into Kamen Rider.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Common Rider is definitely the best. It's a very clever way to reference Kamen Rider in English, and it maintains his theme of just being some dude on a bike. As a bonus, it's cool that the top C-ranked hero would have a name that starts with C.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Wittgen posted:

Common Rider is definitely the best. It's a very clever way to reference Kamen Rider in English, and it maintains his theme of just being some dude on a bike. As a bonus, it's cool that the top C-ranked hero would have a name that starts with C.

Like how the top B rank hero is Blizzard of Hell and the top A rank hero is an rear end in a top hat.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Zerilan posted:

Like how the top B rank hero is Blizzard of Hell and the top A rank hero is an rear end in a top hat.

And the top of S-Class should be Saitama

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Funny how things work out.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MaskedTai posted:

As another die hard Kamen Rider fan, I'd have to say these are both great choices for those who have a modicum of interest. But that's neither here nor there in a OPM thread.

I think Common Rider, even if it's not a 1-to-1 translation from Japanese, is a great compromise.

Common Rider is indeed pretty drat good.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Well localisation usually shouldn't be anything esoteric that a general audience wouldn't understand, having a more vague pun or wordplay would usually be better. In this case, Kamen rider is probably well known enough even in the wide western audience.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

AnonSpore posted:

Nakama

Nakaman Rider

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

AnonSpore posted:

The final joke is that Mumen is also a pun in Japanese. "Mu" can be used as a prefix for not having, and "men" is the first syllable in the Japanese word for license, "menkyo". So Mumen = Licenseless.

Which is why I think Licenseless Rider was a near perfect translation. YMMV.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

That's not a pun that's literally what it means, he's 無免ライダー

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Licenseless Rider is a perfectly straightforward translation.

But Common Rider is a really drat clever localization that remains a pun at the expense of not translating the original.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I feel real dumb for not realizing it was a motorcycle license that he was lacking.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
Before someone explained the joke in thread I assumed Licenseless Rider was an outlaw hero who refused to pay for his bicycle license.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Gyges posted:

I feel real dumb for not realizing it was a motorcycle license that he was lacking.

Ohhhhhhh. That makes sense.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

Before someone explained the joke in thread I assumed Licenseless Rider was an outlaw hero who refused to pay for his bicycle license.

Same, and it's a better joke, so I'm pretending I didn't even see those posts.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Even if Common rider is more clever, Licenceless rider is still funnier.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Yep, also thought the same. I always thought it was weird because I knew Japan didn't have such a bicycle license.

I also vote in favor of Common Rider (not that it matters). Licenseless retains the literal meaning, but not the point of his character that the pun does. And I feel like, as you can see from posts above, the meaning kind of adds confusion. Though I do typically like to favor avoiding sacrificing meaning. I think it's more important that he's a more mundane form of Kamen Rider than why he is, and Common sounds impressively close and immediately you make the connection. Though calling it "perfect" might be a bit much.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Common works better as a Hero Name, too. He's just a Common Rider. Anyone can be a common rider. Anyone can hero!

Saitama clearly approves.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
It took me an embarrassingly long time to notice that Common was supposed to be a pun on Kamen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i'm fine with common rider or unlicensed/licenceless rider, but mumen rider is just lazy.