Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Hmm, it's been like half a year and several patches, plus an HD model, since I played my IS-3 in something other than strongholds. I wonder if it's still as good as I remember in pub battles?

http://wotreplays.com/site/1952078#sacred_valley-steelion-is-3

Yeah, still good.

e: It's no 10k damage 8 kill turbocarry, but it's a pretty solid example of what the IS-3 does well, specifically putting 122mm holes in things from short range, and bouncing poo poo off the turret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Steelion posted:

Hmm, it's been like half a year and several patches, plus an HD model, since I played my IS-3 in something other than strongholds. I wonder if it's still as good as I remember in pub battles?

http://wotreplays.com/site/1952078#sacred_valley-steelion-is-3

Yeah, still good.

e: It's no 10k damage 8 kill turbocarry, but it's a pretty solid example of what the IS-3 does well, specifically putting 122mm holes in things from short range, and bouncing poo poo off the turret.

I rebought my IS-3 at full price and paid 800 gold to retrain a crew into it, and I don't regret it at all. Tank is bananas after the HD remodel and rebalance - actual front armor is nice on a heavy tank.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hellsau posted:

What really? Sign up for PINGU if you want a lovely clan that I'm going to kill but will get you a tank if you can get in really fast somehow. Just don't mention me.

Nahh, I don't play much at all anymore but the thought of loading in first to a match and locking loving everybody out sounds hilarious to me.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

xthetenth posted:

Nahh, I don't play much at all anymore but the thought of loading in first to a match and locking loving everybody out sounds hilarious to me.

you're making a good choice

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Hellsau posted:

I rebought my IS-3 at full price and paid 800 gold to retrain a crew into it, and I don't regret it at all. Tank is bananas after the HD remodel and rebalance - actual front armor is nice on a heavy tank.

Bestsnapshottank_NA

Everything else is just gravy.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Looked at 50 100 had 4k XP needed to finish..."Meh might as well. Get a decent double and then maybe need 1/2 more" Pubbies had other plans. Got the east spawn on Erlenberg drove straight to the knoll on the far side of the castle and proceeded to farm 4k damage. Tank finished probably a keeper. Good times.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Cardiac posted:

Which equipment for an AMX 50 120?
Vertstab, GLD, vents? Or optics?

I think I ran vstab/vents/optics or vstab/vents/binocs on mine. Don't really remember. GLD is garbage and the 50 120 has not-completely-terrible gun handling so you can do without it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
How the Red Army learned to fight: Victorious '45

Soviet tank armies were at their peak in 1945, a powerful fighting instrument. Each unit could contain up to a thousand tanks and SPGs, and that's not including artillery, infantry, wheeled vehicles, and auxiliary units. At the start of the war, it was unthinkable for a tank army to penetrate 500-700 kilometers into enemy defenses in mere days, surrounding and crushing his forces, pursuing those that retreated and not letting them take up favourable positions. At the end of the war, this was reality.

A fist, not a palm

Combat experience taught Soviet armoured forces to fight with more than gun caliber and armour thickness. Reconnaissance, communication, and cooperation became the cornerstones of successful operations. The army joined its spread out fingers into a single mighty fist.

Sufficient time was dedicated to planning each offensive, from two weeks to a month and a half. During this time, details would be covered for each level of forces, from tank armies to battalions. HQ staff worked with enormous amounts of information: maps, aerial photos, city plans, radio intercepts, information obtained from local civilians and prisoners.

Due to increased reliability of vehicles and improved driver skills, it became possible to gather up forces in regions far from the front lines. Tank armies moved out in secrecy, usually at night. Special roads were designated for tank units, use by all other types of forces was forbidden.

When tanks were in position a few tens of kilometers from the front line, officers studied enemy defenses and negotiated cooperation with other types of forces. Tankers, pilots, infantrymen, artillerymen all shared their experience, furthering their understanding of their colleagues. After such discussions, they even recognized each other over the radio.

Tanks approached their starting positions as late as possible, usually when hundreds of thousands of artillery shells were already falling on their enemies. In theory, tank armies were supposed to enter a "clean" breach, retaining their strength for operations in the enemy rear. In reality, it was the tank attack that helped break through enemy defenses.

In the final battles of the Great Patriotic War, tank armies were covered from the air by a large amount of fighters, ground attackers, and bombers. In the summer of 1945, during the war with Japan, the 6th Guards Tank Army even for their own air reconnaissance squadron.

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee

Towards the end of the war, a lot of attention was dedicated to preparing units that were small in number, but complex in organization. They were composed of tanks, SPGs, submachinegunners on all terrain vehicles, machineguns, mortars, and powerful army level radios. These groups burst into cities, blocked roads, crushed unsuspecting enemy columns, captured key positions. For instance, in April of 1945, only 20 tanks and SPGs with a company of submachinegunners and air support burst into the center Vienna and held on until the arrival of main forces.

Soviet tanks appeared in the German rear so quickly that the enemy had no time to react, and often confused them for his own. Here, creativity helped. A regular bucket attached to the barrel of a T-34's gun looked a lot like a muzzle brake used on a German tank. While the enemy was confused, precious seconds were gained.

During the start of the war, German tankers provided their propaganda ministry with great amounts of footage and photographs of their lightning fast breakthroughs. In 1945, the situation was reversed. Now, it was the Soviet media that had ample materials. German vehicles, abandoned without fuel or suddenly captured when being loaded off a train, stacks of trophies and endless columns of prisoners. The Soviet people who were waiting for victory had a lot to look at.

Soviet tankers rushed forward, filling up their tanks with captured fuel and continuing on, crushing any resistance.

American M17 AA SPGs became an excellent method of covering tanks in cities. A torrent of bullets from four machineguns swept away the infantry that was trying to fire at tanks. Domestic large caliber DShK machineguns were also valued by tankers.

Power in unity

All types of forces tried to help out each other. Forward observers called in artillery fire from radio-equipped tanks. Artillery covered the flanks of breakthroughs. Aircraft impeded enemies that tried to discover and attack tank columns, delivered fuel, airmen were assigned to ground forces to guide airplanes on target. In return, tankers sent special squads to capture airstrips, where technicians immediately began to work on cleaning up the base for Soviet aircraft.

Berlin barricades, several meters thick, could withstand a hit from a tank shell. Sappers came to the aid of tankers, blowing up barricades with explosive charges or AT mines.

Holding initiative, Soviet forces could restore knocked out tanks left on the battlefield, as well as recover the wounded. Tanks were repaired so quickly that 90% of reinforcements came from repaired tanks, not from factories. Medics returned two thirds of all casualties to the front lines. In these conditions, no wonder weapon the Germans dreamt of could save the Third Reich, nor could their rapidly dwindling tank aces.

In 1945, the Red Army had six tank armies. All of them had the title of Guards, a title not given easily. Soviet tankers earned them in thousands of battles on all fronts from Germany to the Far East. These were the elites of the Red Army, one of the most powerful in the 20th century.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

2 minutes into the game we were down 4-10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3yq3FQflfw

Also, a tense Chi-Ri game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibHpEaDl3fE
In comparison to the A-44, the Chi-Ri is a joy to play. Decent mobility, good gun handling, actual gun depression and an hilarious autoloader. Armour being tissue paper means less while driving a medium.
Not a bad tank at all.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The bulldog is amazing.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Cardiac posted:

2 minutes into the game we were down 4-10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3yq3FQflfw

Also, a tense Chi-Ri game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibHpEaDl3fE
In comparison to the A-44, the Chi-Ri is a joy to play. Decent mobility, good gun handling, actual gun depression and an hilarious autoloader. Armour being tissue paper means less while driving a medium.
Not a bad tank at all.

The Chi-Ri is way better than the A-44 at stomping t7 games and not appreciably worse at higher tiers where they both struggle. The armour the A-44 has isn't strong enough to be reliable against anything except t5s and the odd t6 with a crappy gun anyway, but the module layout of the Chi-Ri means that penetrating hits don't immediately cripple you like they do in the A-44. The Chi-Ri also has gun depression, so despite being huge it can actually expose less of itself and be opportunistic.

The 2 seconds it takes to dump its clip is less than the extra time it takes the A-44 to aim in, which helps while also being pretty sad.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Ensign Expendable posted:

How the Red Army learned to fight: Victorious '45

Thanks for these posts, its interesting to get a different or more accurate view besides; Russian mongol hordes murdering valiant German warriors.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
I played WoT in the open beta years ago and had a lot of fun with the t-44. Now im back (apparently because i hate myself and my life sucks) and trying to get back to the part where mediums stop sucking rear end. So what the hell is the deal with the cruel joke that is the t-43? Its got almost the same stats as the t-34/85 but now gets to fight tier 8 & 9 where it literally cannot damage 80% of the tanks i fight.

90,000 exp to get to the t-44. Wow. This is going to be a long grind.

Any tips on how to make playing this tank suck less? I cant imagine its really ever going to be good...

Also its just my newbie opinion but it feels like everything that isnt a heavy tank is just a side show. Light and medium tanks really cant manuever enough to be useful on maps that are mostly 3 lane choke points. "mediums are for flanking!" the game says, but again youre not able to flank when the map is literally 3 variations on a canyon with some rocks in the middle...

Raw_Beef fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 15, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Raw_Beef posted:

I played WoT in the open beta years ago and had a lot of fun with the t-44. Now im back (apparently because i hate myself and my life sucks) and trying to get back to the part where mediums stop sucking rear end. So what the hell is the deal with the cruel joke that is the t-43? Its got almost the same stats as the t-34/85 but now gets to fight tier 8 & 9 where it literally cannot damage 80% of the tanks i fight.

Any tips on how to make playing this tank suck less? I cant imagine its really ever going to be good...

Also its just my newbie opinion but it feels like everything that isnt a heavy tank is just a side show. Light and medium tanks really cant manuever enough to be useful on maps that are mostly 3 lane choke points. "mediums are for flanking!" the game says, but again youre not able to flank when the map is literally 3 variations on a canyon with some rocks in the middle...

T-43 might be the low point of that line but it's not actually very low. T7 mediums, hell t7 non-heavies in general, are just poorly positioned against the tanks they're fighting and the T-43 is in the bottom half of those. The alternate Soviet t7 medium, the A-44, is a strong contender for being the worst tank in the game outside of very low tiers. T7 is the "high" tier with the worst inter-class balance and it's the only high tier where I would say the heavies outclass the mediums outright (with exceptions like the Comet).

The thing with mediums is that, compared with heavies, they trade a lot for increased mobility, camo, and spotting range. Those are all rather difficult things for a newbie to take advantage of, they benefit from map knowledge and knowing how the spotting system works, though you're currently in one of the two most forgiving medium lines so it could be worse. At no tier is this tradeoff more obvious than t7 because most medium lines get significant gun upgrades at t8. At t9 and t10 it gets a little weirder because mediums end up with generally better, but lower alpha, guns than heavies.

I'd recommend playing a bit of everything, or at least both mediums and heavies while you're still trying to learn the game. The recommended lines for new players are the first Soviet medium line (which you're on), the Soviet heavy line ending in the IS-7, the American heavies ending in the T110E5, and the American mediums.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 15, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

This was a loss.....

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

BadLlama posted:

This was a loss.....

rest in piece

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

BadLlama posted:

This was a loss.....

impressive

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BadLlama posted:

This was a loss.....

I wouldn't play world of tanks for a while if this happened to me.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Raw_Beef posted:

Shoot gold. You know you can buy gold ammo for credits?
Besides that, the T-43 is like you say a T-34-85 one tier higher. The T-34-85 is one of the tier6 mediums that best can deal with tier+2 and the skills you acquired in the T-34-85 should help you in the T-43.

Raw_Beef posted:

It is a newbie opinion for sure. Heavies are not really dominating this game to the prevalence of gold ammo, doom cannon, mouth breathers and and arty.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Raw_Beef posted:

Fit it with coated optics, a gun laying drive and rammer. Train the crew for sixth sense and camo. Whenever you aren't top tier try to find a decent bit of cover where you can creep around and scout from, or hit people in the sides while they are otherwise busy. Then later in the game use your mobility and conserved HP to just gently caress stuff up with speed and agility.
Also, when you can, you need Safe Stowage on your loader, and try to never have your front right pointing to the enemy. The entire front right quarter of that tank (and the t-44) is an extremely weak ammo rack, you will detonate if hit.

It might take a while, but if it clicks with you you will fly through that 90,000. I loved the T-43, it's no KV-13, but I certainly don't think it's bad.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 15, 2015

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
So, what changed in regards to the front armor of the IS-3? It's always been one of my favorite tanks, but was the front armor buffed somehow?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

M.C. McMic posted:

So, what changed in regards to the front armor of the IS-3? It's always been one of my favorite tanks, but was the front armor buffed somehow?

It was still super easy to shoot through the turret roof from the front the last time I fought one.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

M.C. McMic posted:

The spare track links on the front are new aren't they? They add 20-30mm armour to a front-on IS-3. They added a little lip over the turret weak spot but it doesn't have collision, might make it a little harder to discern where to shoot.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Left click on goddamn tanks, you shits. I mean, I haven't done terribly well, but still :smithicide:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Zero damage as a top tier Tiger 1 is impressive.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Gervasius posted:

Left click on goddamn tanks, you shits. I mean, I haven't done terribly well, but still :smithicide:

Holy gently caress that is depressing

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Soulfucker posted:

Holy gently caress that is depressing

Now you know why I drink when I drive internet tanks.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Gervasius posted:

Nine zero damage tanks and one with 69 which was about as good bit having been there either. gently caress that would be so frustrating.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If anyone's looking to get into World of Warships:

https://www.humblebundle.com/twitche3

Beta Keys are on the humble bundle. $1 and you're in (bonus tanks invite code included)

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Hellsau posted:

Zero damage as a top tier Tiger 1 is impressive.

Not as impressive as a top tier E75 doing zero damage.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Azhais posted:

If anyone's looking to get into World of Warships:

https://www.humblebundle.com/twitche3

Beta Keys are on the humble bundle. $1 and you're in (bonus tanks invite code included)

And a tier five premium for it even if you're already in (the Murmansk).

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Gervasius posted:

I played 9 games yesterday and only won two of them (I carried), the 7 losses were exactly this poo poo.

loving absurd.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
People seem to still be spam joining/suiciding trying to get the tokens when their team manages to win despite being down X tanks immediately

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

xthetenth posted:

And a tier five premium for it even if you're already in (the Murmansk).

Pretty sure you keep the five extra slots in perpetuity, too.

...plus you get the gold equivalent for the Murmansk if you already have one.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It sucks that it's NA only.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
So I've come back recently after a year and a half away from this game. Not sure if personal missions are a good thing. On the one hand I've got a fuckton of credits immediately, on the other people are doing dumb poo poo because of them.

Mountain pass, an unexpected 7v7. Our E75 starts with "we have to cap guys". The entire enemy team trickles down the 1 corridor into the two meds we have, rest of our team drives into the gully and up to flank. E75, instead of flanking peals off and goes and by himself to the enemy base, saying he has to complete the mission. So we've got four tanks to their six in the corridor because our ST-1 is on the polar opposite side of the map as well.

We won, probably because the 2 meds who took the brunt of it were apparently fantastic, the patton had over 4k damage by the end of it. E75 didn't even manage to cap in time, which is some solace.

I can only imagine how bad it was when they were first introduced and this was EVERY player.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Bleremiah posted:

So I've come back recently after a year and a half away from this game. Not sure if personal missions are a good thing. On the one hand I've got a fuckton of credits immediately, on the other people are doing dumb poo poo because of them.

Mountain pass, an unexpected 7v7. Our E75 starts with "we have to cap guys". The entire enemy team trickles down the 1 corridor into the two meds we have, rest of our team drives into the gully and up to flank. E75, instead of flanking peals off and goes and by himself to the enemy base, saying he has to complete the mission. So we've got four tanks to their six in the corridor because our ST-1 is on the polar opposite side of the map as well.

We won, probably because the 2 meds who took the brunt of it were apparently fantastic, the patton had over 4k damage by the end of it. E75 didn't even manage to cap in time, which is some solace.

I can only imagine how bad it was when they were first introduced and this was EVERY player.

It still is every player. You just don't know which one and what their mission is. It's a surprise!

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Hellsau posted:

It still is every player. You just don't know which one and what their mission is. It's a surprise!

Not me! I have been accidently completing my missions since day 1. still on the Stug mission though, but have 3/5 completed with honors, SPG 15 was done totally on accident

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Invite code if anyone wants it for an alt or friend: RMSZ9-9EVTX-676W8-ZK8ME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

free day of prem on NA
7ERBDFTM7D