Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Praetorian Mage posted:

I know you're joking, but I've heard that Alpha Protocol uses a similar system and I don't personally care for this approach. Sure, in real life you couldn't stare at someone in silence for 5 minutes to decide what to say, but you also wouldn't have to choose from several pre-written options in the first place, and you'd have the chance to go back and say "Wait, that's not what I meant" if things go badly.

In AP there were few "loving around" just chatting all willy nilly moments, most conversations were one-shot cutscenes, sometimes with people who wanted to kill you so the system worked fine there. It wouldn't really make sense to have a ticking clock when you're asking about the weather or a backstory on a quest though you're right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Bholder posted:

-Dialog system now actually allows you to have multiple talkers at once, loving finally

aww, i was a real fan of the *awkwardly stutter than pivot on axis* school of cutscene design

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The most important thing to notice in the gameplay trailer?

The molerat recoiled when shot for most of it's health, instead of being uncaring bullet sponges, enemies might react to pieces of metal and plasma being forced into their bodies at high speed.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I seem to recall most enemies staggering in both FO3 and NV when you did enough damage to them. I don't think that's anything new.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I seem to recall most enemies staggering in both FO3 and NV when you did enough damage to them. I don't think that's anything new.

They staggered on crits.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
On having a voice for the main character - I think most people don't like voiced protags because if all you have is text you can use your imagination for stuff like tone/volume/speed. As soon as you move to a voice for the player character you have to either make a call and give them a personality via hyper exaggerated dialogue options (see: punching that reporter lady in the face in ME2) or allow your actors to create the character, which is extremely hard because 99% of RPG dialogue is extremely boring go here/do this stuff.

For an example of what I mean first read this achewood strip;
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08222005

Funny!

Now watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_97q16TFxk

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Am I the only one who ignores VATS completely in these games? I really dislike having control taken away from me in games so I'll probably just use AP to sprint. I hope someone recreates the mod that replaces VATS with bullet time pretty quickly though (not sure if that would require mod tools)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The Droid posted:

They staggered on crits.
Losing all their HP on a body part actually, then critical hits landing on those body parts made them stagger again

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
there were also perks that played into it. that melee perk that launches your enemy in the air and turns him into a ragdoll for 10 seconds while you beat the loving bejeesus out of him is the best.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Guys. Guys. The Junk Jet has a "Ignition Module" that lights projectiles on fire before launching them. Or there's an Electric Module that electrifies them. Deciding between shooting electrified toasters or flaming toasters at raiders will be a weighty decision that might just break the entire experience for me.

Parsing through the gameplay trailers frame by frame is fun. There's a distinction between "sighted accuracy" and hip-fire accuracy as well. I wonder what that implies as far as Skills are concerned...

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 16, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Manket posted:

Parsing through the gameplay trailers frame by frame is fun. There's a distinction between "sighted accuracy" and hip-fire accuracy as well. I wonder what that implies as far as Skills are concerned...
It means guns will no longer spray like cat piss even while you aim which was a huge problem in Fallout 3 and less so in NV

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Manket posted:

Guys. Guys. The Junk Jet has a "Ignition Module" that lights projectiles on fire before launching them. Or there's an Electric Module that electrifies them. Deciding between shooting electrified toasters or flaming toasters at raiders will be a weighty decision that might just break the entire experience for me.

I hope the mutilated body parts misc items are in this game as well. It was always fun stuffing those into the Rock-It-Launcher and killing people by beating them with dismembered arms and legs and poo poo.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It means guns will no longer spray like cat piss even while you aim which was a huge problem in Fallout 3 and less so in NV

Praise christ.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Didn't NV make the gun shoot where the sights were when aimed? And low skill meant more sight wander?

I'd quite like that for FO4, guns have inherent accuracy and aimability.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Buttmeister posted:

i just want EVERYBODY to realize the man making these promises is Todd "Truth Coward" Howard, AKA Todd "Infinite Quests You'll Never Be Bored" Howard, AKA Todd "We Couldn't Implement Spears Due To An Engine Implementation-ard" Howard
By now I think Bethesda fans have internalized a protection against too much hype so even though we might gossip like schoolboys about how cool everything could be up to and until release, the subconscious is grounded and ready to bring us back down to reality when its actually FO3 with a new map and an extra coat of paint on the gameplay systems.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

Didn't NV make the gun shoot where the sights were when aimed? And low skill meant more sight wander?

I'd quite like that for FO4, guns have inherent accuracy and aimability.

Iron sights helped (even if only because they encouraged me to aim) but I sure do recall the service rifle being less than a tack driver. The recticle in that game was never very helpful at showing the effects of recoil, or even making it clear to me that the automatic weapons benefited from controlled bursts vs mag dumps. Really, thinking about it, I think the guns just shot the way they shot, without the fine details we'd see in most modern shooters.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

abigserve posted:

On having a voice for the main character - I think most people don't like voiced protags because if all you have is text you can use your imagination for stuff like tone/volume/speed. As soon as you move to a voice for the player character you have to either make a call and give them a personality via hyper exaggerated dialogue options (see: punching that reporter lady in the face in ME2) or allow your actors to create the character, which is extremely hard because 99% of RPG dialogue is extremely boring go here/do this stuff.

For an example of what I mean first read this achewood strip;
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08222005

Funny!

Now watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_97q16TFxk

This is exactly it. That video loving sucks, voiced protag loving SUCKS

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Iron sights helped (even if only because they encouraged me to aim) but I sure do recall the service rifle being less than a tack driver. The recticle in that game was never very helpful at showing the effects of recoil, or even making it clear to me that the automatic weapons benefited from controlled bursts vs mag dumps. Really, thinking about it, I think the guns just shot the way they shot, without the fine details we'd see in most modern shooters.
They actually had to patch the service rifle to do more damage because the constantly respawning Fiend/NCR fight south of McCarran always resulted in the troops getting smeared onto pavement, even at low levels when Fiends had varmint rifles, caravan shotguns, and pool cues.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
I wonder when they said that they picked 1000 of the most common names for the protagonist, are they all going to be Western European names? I understand that it wouldn't fit the setting but my own name (Muhammad) would be cool to have included.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
After watching all the videos, I hope this one doesn't swing too heavily in the direction of open world choose your own adventure. I got bored of the main story in Skyrim. I'm hoping they give you the option of a tight narrative experience here.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

ToxicAcne posted:

I wonder when they said that they picked 1000 of the most common names for the protagonist, are they all going to be Western European names? I understand that it wouldn't fit the setting but my own name (Muhammad) would be cool to have included.

Probably. The reason for being so either because of the practical reason you'd be better off trying to please the most common person rather than one or two outliers or in-universe reason that it's 50's America if it were somehow even more xenophobic, so people usually wouldn't have non-western names.

But now you've got me wondering if they're going to reuse the westernized names when they localize it for other countries, or actually sit down and look up the top 1,000 most common names in Germany or something.

I also hope that the character's don't just have a gap in their dialogue where it just loads them saying the character's name, because they almost always sounds weird.

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.
The biggest downside to both the fact that it's Bethesda instead of Black Isle/Obsidian, and there's a voiced protagonist? You probably won't be able to play as a literal retard.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Looking forward to all that audio being uncompressed for a 80GB+ download.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Looking forward to it being :mediocre: for every character except the protagonist and 3 other characters

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looking forward to building a sweet neon rave house with turrets on it and shooting enclaves in the face with a big plasma gun that I stuck a bunch of poo poo onto to make it blinged out as hell, in a suit of gold plated power armor.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

OwlFancier posted:

Looking forward to building a sweet neon rave house with turrets on it and shooting enclaves in the face with a big plasma gun that I stuck a bunch of poo poo onto to make it blinged out as hell, in a suit of gold plated power armor.

same, i seriously don't care how terrible the writing is at this point, all the other poo poo looks fun as gently caress and if it isnt, a mod will probably make it fun

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The Microsoft showing of gameplay in general makes the combat look a lot less wonky and reliant on VATS than the past two games. It seems to flow and control more like a typical FPS.

I apologize to all of the RPG purists who are upset that it's now possible for people who don't like exactly what they do to play the game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I don't really play main quests much in bethsoft games, I finished oblivion once, fallout 3 once, and haven't bothered with FNV/skyrim, more fun just messing around exploring places, finding guns, stealing coins off dead legionaries and then putting them into shotgun shells and firing them at more legionaries to get more coins to make ammunition out of.

My fallout experience is a lot like my mario experience only slightly more violent.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Shooting actually looks good and the weapon modding looks loving amazing. Im sold on this poo poo.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Don't know why everyone is so worked up about the VA dialogue. By the 4000th time your character says :smuggo: "Shocking!" when you score a critical death-strike with your energy weapon, your brain will have chemically lobotomized itself to not care anymore.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Shooting actually looks good and the weapon modding looks loving amazing. Im sold on this poo poo.

Full agreement. Hopefully weapon modding will make it possible to upgrade and use your favorite weapon for a very long portion (or entirety) of the game, rather than the usual Bethesda set-up where you have your unique items in the same location, and it's just a matter of 1.)Find Gauss rifle 2.)Win game.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
drat, I'm so stoked to play the follow up to the Fallout First Person Shooter Brotherhood of Steel.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
It will be funny if this game is actually a really fun Survival/Crafting game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Reason posted:

It will be funny if this game is actually a really fun Survival/Crafting game.

Hell if it isn't, I'm sure someone will mod it to become one, with all the features of even fallout 3 plus the building system, it's already got the basis to top most of the survival games on the market.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Dan Didio posted:

drat, I'm so stoked to play the follow up to the Fallout First Person Shooter Brotherhood of Steel.

BoS was top-down fuckhead.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

The Microsoft showing of gameplay in general makes the combat look a lot less wonky and reliant on VATS than the past two games. It seems to flow and control more like a typical FPS.

I apologize to all of the RPG purists who are upset that it's now possible for people who don't like exactly what they do to play the game.

Something important to note is that it looks like Fallout 4 has adopted the standard FPS control scheme. There seems to be a button for throwing grenades, a button for sprinting, and a button for meleeing with your gun, in addition to the iron sights/scopes.

Since they're sticking to the first and third person perspective, making it look and feel good and fun to play is a good change.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Sole Survivor posted:

Something important to note is that it looks like Fallout 4 has adopted the standard FPS control scheme. There seems to be a button for throwing grenades, a button for sprinting, and a button for meleeing with your gun, in addition to the iron sights/scopes.

Since they're sticking to the first and third person perspective, making it look and feel good and fun to play is a good change.

This lends credence to the whole "five years behind" theory. Five years ago, these were already standard, but five years before Fallout 3, this stuff was still cutting edge.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
im gay

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Is this also the thread for the iPhone game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GirlBones
Jun 10, 2007
I am not very good at the internet

RentACop posted:

It'd be weird to make a spouse and generate a baby and voiced character names and only have that in the ten minute prologue

As weird as hiring AAA voice talent and only have them in the ten minute prologue?

• Locked thread