Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It doesn't get much talk but all the major DLC for RaceRoom is 50% off right now, and most of the car and track packs are roughly half off as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

njsykora posted:

Make your first focus just keeping the car on the road. At the clubman career level I was able to usually place in the top 3 just by not running off the track.
Pretty much this. Stay on the road, stop hitting poo poo, and you'll get consistent podium finishes. It's not a game about coming in first as soon as you start and unless you make a huge mistake that flattens a tire or you go off the track multiple times, don't restart. Just keep going.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 16, 2015

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Are either Assetto Corsa or Project Cars likely to be a Daily/Flash deal in the Steam sale? Want to try one of them but I don't want to waste money on getting them now and then them going down to 50% off the next day...

Also what would be the recommended one to go for?

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

IceAgeComing posted:

Are either Assetto Corsa or Project Cars likely to be a Daily/Flash deal in the Steam sale? Want to try one of them but I don't want to waste money on getting them now and then them going down to 50% off the next day...

Also what would be the recommended one to go for?

Assetto has gone on sale before, Project cars is probably too new to see any massive discounts.

One game is only half finished, the other is half broken, either way you lose! Seriously though it all depends on what you're looking for. Assetto is a straight up hotlapping simulator (the Career mode is dreadful with equally dreadful AI), Project Cars is more of a psuedo-sim in the flavor GRID or NFS: Shift. If you're content with just the challenge of driving don't hesitate to get Assetto, in Project Car's current state I wouldn't recommend it at full price.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Pcars is a pseudo sim? Since when?

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
Project Cars is pretty much Need for Speed Shift 3 with some of the physics tightened up (same dev, some of the original problems are still there after three games). It's not bad, but it does have some glaring errors and they made some pretty bad mistakes with the new patch (tires popping on pit stops with default settings? lol). It's not as bad as say, PretendRaceCars makes it out to be and it's definitely more on the sim side than Shift 1 or Unleashed was. I am probably one of the few people that like the Shift games, but PCars still needs a lot of polishing before it's done.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

holocaust bloopers posted:

Don't misunderstand it's not Ridge Racer by any means, but I think it straddles the line between GRID/Shift and Gran Turismo where liberties are taken to keep things accessible (I consider GT a psuedo-sim, cars do not effortlessly throw themselves into consistent four wheel drifts).

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
You guys are either oblivious or just have silly ideas on what makes something a sim or not.

Anyway, it's a dumb argument. Play whatever you want. They're all cool racing sims.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Project cars is a sim. They've made some weird choices with some things, but the driving is really good. They had The Stig and Lewis Hamilton's brother consulting on it. Sorry if it's not slippery enough for HaRdCoRe SiM rAcErS.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Christ, I hosed up my shoulder at work yesterday so I'd been holding off using my wheel for anything today but I jumped into PCARS for a Formula Rookie race and everything was getting hosed up by the AI moving super slow. Having said that, learning to use manual shifting has consistently chopped 2-3 seconds off my lap times.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

njsykora posted:

It doesn't get much talk but all the major DLC for RaceRoom is 50% off right now, and most of the car and track packs are roughly half off as well.

It should get more talk, at this point it's second only to Stock Car Extreme if you want to have a good offline race. And it'll be my first choice if Sector3 manages to teach the AI how to drive the Group5 cars.

Just like pCars it requires quite a bit of fiddling with FFB settings though.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Cars have grip in Project Cars. That bothers some hardcore sim racers.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

To those who were waiting for a Dirt Rally sale its 25% off (around £19) for the next 10 hours.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Did any enterprising modder manage to fix up TDU2 in such a way that the cars don't bump over the road mesh all the time? I want an open-world driving game on PC, Horizon was so fun.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

njsykora posted:

To those who were waiting for a Dirt Rally sale its 25% off (around £19) for the next 10 hours.

It's actually been at that price since the beginning of the sale. I was hoping that it would be less as a daily or flash but I guess this means it's not happening.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I still say Driver: San Francisco is the best non-sim racer. :colbert:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Riso posted:

I still say Driver: San Francisco is the best non-sim racer. :colbert:

That or Burnout 3 or the original Need for Speed: Most Wanted, I think.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

GhostDog posted:

Did any enterprising modder manage to fix up TDU2 in such a way that the cars don't bump over the road mesh all the time? I want an open-world driving game on PC, Horizon was so fun.
Why do people keep throwing money at open world car games that aren't Driver San Francisco or Burnout Paradise?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Burnout Paradise sucks. The cars can be driven full speed all the time, brakes in corners optional.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Riso posted:

Burnout Paradise sucks. The cars can be driven full speed all the time, brakes in corners optional.

i just bought it based on this post

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Driver San Francisco was transcendent.

Hopefully Reflections gets another crack at a Driver game at some point.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

spamman posted:

Driver San Francisco was transcendent.

Hopefully Reflections gets another crack at a Driver game at some point.

I see their last racing game is The Crew. It any good?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Riso posted:

No

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Riso posted:

As I understand it, it's not really their game. They seem to just assist on other Ubisoft titles now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Riso posted:

The Crew was an Ubisoft Open World Game but in cars. Bad story, even using towers to reveal more of the map. The only thing I see people doing in it is doing the coast to coast drive across the USA.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The crew is alright with a wheel. With a controller it's terrible. Can't remap the controls and with a controller the implementation of a manual transmission is a joke. You can't go up or down more than one gear with the controller and it has to go all the way through the gear change before it will go to the next gear.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Riso posted:

They didn't make The Crew, just the cutscenes for it. The Crew is just Test Drive Unlimited 3.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Great Joe posted:

Why do people keep throwing money at open world car games that aren't Driver San Francisco or Burnout Paradise?

Burnout did nothing for me. Driver was good, but it wasn't really the specific open-world experience I'm looking for, which is at least somewhat real world physics and a cool large environment to cruise around in. TDU2 has the latter, but the driving is complete dogshit.

Edit:

GutBomb posted:

The crew is alright with a wheel.

Don't tempt me please.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I might get the crew for my daughter as she loves to play city car driving and this looks to be a nice upgrade. Is this a good game to just freeroam drive all over or is there something better?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Assetto Corsa on daily deal today for no less than it was on sale for anyway. So that's all the racing stuff of any note done for the sale.

E: and right after I post that the Dirt Rally blog throws up the FFB update.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 16, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GhostDog posted:

Burnout did nothing for me. Driver was good, but it wasn't really the specific open-world experience I'm looking for, which is at least somewhat real world physics and a cool large environment to cruise around in. TDU2 has the latter, but the driving is complete dogshit.

Edit:

Don't tempt me please.

It's not good. It's just alright. It's really hokey.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

GTA V is a pretty good open world driving game

alr
May 14, 2009
Dirt Rally just got patched with updated FFB. It seems pretty good so far.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So I got Assetto Corsa since I was holding most of my Steam funds waiting for it to go on sale and after I'd gently and repeatedly told the game about my shifter until it decided to actually work with it I went into the career and thus the first career race. Holy poo poo no-one is exaggerating when they talk about how bad that AI is, just constantly ramming me when I brake earlier than them and side swiping me when I'm on the inside line and that's when they're not hitting each other and spinning the entire grid off into the gravel.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
What is soft lock even supposed to do in Dirt Rally? They make it sound like the game automatically reduces your wheels rotation based on the car. So I don't have to do it manually. But it doesn't do anything when I enable it and drive a car that has <900 degrees rotation. I managed to drive the 2010 mini and it is a lot of fun when I lock my wheel to the right degrees. But anything else is undrivable for me, even cars with 900 degrees are impossible to control. What gives?

Boar It fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 17, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

njsykora posted:

So I got Assetto Corsa since I was holding most of my Steam funds waiting for it to go on sale and after I'd gently and repeatedly told the game about my shifter until it decided to actually work with it I went into the career and thus the first career race. Holy poo poo no-one is exaggerating when they talk about how bad that AI is, just constantly ramming me when I brake earlier than them and side swiping me when I'm on the inside line and that's when they're not hitting each other and spinning the entire grid off into the gravel.

Yep. AC is a helluva hot lap simulator and not much else.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yep. AC is a helluva hot lap simulator and not much else.

The modding stuff though does mean I've been able to drive Trial Mountain for the first time in a few years.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
New Dirt Rally season is up! Events will be a little shorter and more frequent for this one so that more people make it all the way through each of them (I hope :ohdear:). Put your latex pants on, 'cause this one's gonna be slippery.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Here's a free copy of Dirt Rally for you goons too poor to afford it even with the sale:

amd.com/dirtrally Y252NKWJWMTFZQY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Got it, thanks! Sure you didn't redeem it just because you didn't want to give AMD your email address, phone number, birthdate, country and state?

• Locked thread