Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bUm
Jan 11, 2011
The patch that was a few days ago was supposed to fix setups not saving, wasn't it? It definitely didn't. Doing my American Endurance Championship Road America race right now and the car setup literally reset to Default every single time I went back into setup (so three times the first practice session, twice the second practice session, when I went into qualifying, and now as I'm going to start the race). Could tell by changes in the car that the setups were definitely saving and having different on-the-track performance, but just reset every time I returned to the tuning screen. :wtc: SMS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015
What the gently caress did this update do to my wheel?! It went from playable poo poo to undrivable limp dicked poo poo, not cool SMS you only had nearly a half loving decade to get this poo poo sorted.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

crabfriend posted:

The carts are a blast, although I'm finding it hard to transition from the carts to cars just due to how responsive and zippy the carts feel.

My biggest issue with transferring was the fact I couldn't go race speeds in a 125.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

crabfriend posted:

The carts are a blast, although I'm finding it hard to transition from the carts to cars just due to how responsive and zippy the carts feel.

Get your rear end into the open wheel cars, they're basically overgrown carts.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

SMS you only had nearly a half loving decade to get this poo poo sorted.
Follow up to previous post: moved on to the World Endurance Championship. Car setup again reset 5/6 times I returned to the car setup screen throughout the event. Which is to say: it seems SMS actually made the bug of not saving setups worse in the patch proclaiming they fixed it. :shrug: At least I only once ran into setup resetting mid-session once prior to the patch and now it seems to be the norm.

Real reason for posting along the lines of "you had nearly half a loving decade to get this poo poo sorted": I am so loving pissed about AI not heeding blue flags, flashing headlights, or anything else that lower class cars in a multiclass race should abide by when an LMP1 is doing their thing. :argh: Which is to say twice I was abruptly cut off by AI swerving in front of me so fast I couldn't brake or swerve myself before rear-ending them. The first time I had to pit-in (after having just done so five laps prior for what should've been my one and only stop) to repair the damage because my car was going to overheat (for shits and giggles the pit stop was an extra ~12 seconds when my pit crew decided to top off my fuel tank despite the pit strategy I changed up to remove the tire change very clearly called for zero fuel :wtf:). The second time I had just passed the pit lane and was effectively coming around for the white flag. I rear-ended the fucker super hard (probably a 30 MPH speed difference... even after I'd slammed on the brakes and probably lost 15~20 MPH before impact) and my temperatures started sky rocketing immediately so I was going super slow (couldn't go too slow, second place was only 37 seconds back thanks to the first unnecessary pit stop), like half the pace I normally would. No dice, my engine still blew up as I came around to the high-speed bends with about 1/4 of the track (Spa) to go. Hour and a half long race totally hosed by utter garbage AI not having some mechanism of recognizing cars coming up to pass them at all. I guess at least I still got credited 3rd (of 6 competitors that are LMP1 cars) since the others weren't on the lead lap and I was.

PCars is such a love/hate relationship. The racing is solid and fun, but miscellaneous buggy bullshit always seems to force me into taking a break out of frustration over stupid poo poo for every night I spend racing. It seems unreal that SMS even included the possibility of giving you a blue flag (despite half the time I get them being when I just passed the "fast car" it wants me to yield to), but didn't program AI to understand/follow them.

Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and turn off damage for continuing endurance racing; I don't want to because I believe if I gently caress up I should pay for it (I have no problem with having to take a not-part-of-strategy pit for damage because I mistimed my braking and hit a wall or something), but AI sticking steadfast to their driving line until you're side-by-side makes no sense in a multi-class race and is too loving stupid to continue with so they can ruin more hour and a half long races with their poor programming.

On another patch-related note: the AI lap times with rain seemed better for the case of it I ran into tonight (Road America, LMP1). One can hope that bug is actually fixed across the board and not only kind of fixed.

bUm fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 15, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I can understand being frustrated by that but A) that poo poo happens in real racing, last lap mishaps, and B) if you're on the last lap and you're leading by 37 seconds maybe attempting to pass some ai that's notorious for not wanting to let you by is probably not that great of an idea.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

GutBomb posted:

I can understand being frustrated by that but A) that poo poo happens in real racing, last lap mishaps, and B) if you're on the last lap and you're leading by 37 seconds maybe attempting to pass some ai that's notorious for not wanting to let you by is probably not that great of an idea.
True, but often (in what I've watched) it's at least a legit battle for position and not some GT3 shitter taking out the LMP1 leading for kicks (as he tries to pass an LMP2 that's faster than him :shrug:).

I was being generally more cautious for the last few laps, but it was a straightaway and I even was giving ~1.5 car width of space. Gotta pass that traffic somewhere (2nd place was gaining several seconds a lap already with my modestly cautionary passing).

I don't know, maybe I should turn AI back from 90->80 instead of damage off so there's more wiggle room for inevitable AI caused incidents. Really hope they make AI improvements on the getting passed front though.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

bUm posted:

I don't know, maybe I should turn AI back from 90->80 instead of damage off so there's more wiggle room for inevitable AI caused incidents. Really hope they make AI improvements on the getting passed front though.

I'm not sure that would help, and might make things worse. Turning the AI down for me made the drivers dumber and more unpredictable.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I played early kart stuff on 60% and they were just about brain dead.

AI: Guy passing me on a long straight with no other traffic? TURN LEFT HERE

<clank>

One thing that just endlessly cracks me up in this game: every bump/grind sounds like the most catastrophic impact ever.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

GutBomb posted:

I'm not sure that would help, and might make things worse. Turning the AI down for me made the drivers dumber and more unpredictable.

Indeed, sadly there's no happy medium. They're either bumbling oafs prone to pile ups on one end or too aggressive and braking 20 meters too late arbitrarily while smashing into you on the other. With the game in its current state it's pretty much impossible to get any decent racing longer than a couple of laps which is utterly infuriating. I really should have waited until this game was on sale with a bunch of patches behind it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

Indeed, sadly there's no happy medium. They're either bumbling oafs prone to pile ups on one end or too aggressive and braking 20 meters too late arbitrarily while smashing into you on the other. With the game in its current state it's pretty much impossible to get any decent racing longer than a couple of laps which is utterly infuriating. I really should have waited until this game was on sale with a bunch of patches behind it.

With the length of time this game was in development and the nature off it being available to a fairly wide audience during development I'm not too sure it's going to have patches that do more than fix bugs. Gameplay balance stuff seems like it would have already been done during the long public beta if it were going to be done at all.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

GutBomb posted:

With the length of time this game was in development and the nature off it being available to a fairly wide audience during development I'm not too sure it's going to have patches that do more than fix bugs. Gameplay balance stuff seems like it would have already been done during the long public beta if it were going to be done at all.

They're making baby steps with the more egregious issues like AI's unholy grip in the wet and off track but my expectations are tempered. It seems apparent that concurrent development on 3 platforms bit them in the rear end. In SMS's defense not even the exclusive first party sims are a sure bet anymore, so they're hardly alone in straight up loving things up. I'll be happy enough if they just sort the control issues, everything else is irrelevant if it plays like a wet paper saxophone.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Forza 6 lookin' really good as a known quantity here. :smith: Don't want to buy a 'bone though.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i bought a bone for forza 6 already, it's no project cars though. This game is still great and is its own thing

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

ethanol posted:

i bought a bone for forza 6 already, it's no project cars though. This game is still great and is its own thing

You're a voice of reason, which is cool.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
For me Forza 6 would mean I'd need to: A: Buy an Xbox One, B: Sell my CSR Elite, C: Buy a CSW V2 w/ Xbone rim.

That would put me into the £1000 region near enough, depending on how much I could get for my elite wheel. That's money that could go into my 944, so gently caress it. There's literally gently caress all else for me to buy the console for anyway.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Falken posted:

For me Forza 6 would mean I'd need to: A: Buy an Xbox One, B: Sell my CSR Elite, C: Buy a CSW V2 w/ Xbone rim.

That would put me into the £1000 region near enough, depending on how much I could get for my elite wheel. That's money that could go into my 944, so gently caress it. There's literally gently caress all else for me to buy the console for anyway.
This is why I'll be on pCARS anyway.

Say, Basticle, looks like my quick survey's just about done. Would you mind moving weekly races to Friday evenings? Then the Euro folk can have another time on a Sunday evenings when it doesn't intersect with F1 I s'pose?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Is there a way to change the amount of fuel everyone starts with in qualifying and races in career mode?

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

So my T300 arrived yesterday. As someone who has been a controller using driver since all the way back to the original Gran Turismo it's taking a little time to make the transition smooth. Once I'd dialled back the FFB settings it felt a little more like driving a car as opposed to wresting a Grizzly so that helped. P-Cars is certainly the first console racer that (for me at least) demanded a wheel as whatever I did with the DualShock settings didn't translate to a driveable feel.

In summary - gently caress Snetterton.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rad Valtar posted:

Is there a way to change the amount of fuel everyone starts with in qualifying and races in career mode?

I don't think you can change the AI's fuel, your own fuel is a tuning setting, and you have separate values for race and qualifying.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Rad Valtar posted:

I wish that it was possible to enforce rules like that for online sessions so you could have races where a pit stop is mandatory.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

GutBomb posted:

I wish that it was possible to enforce rules like that for online sessions so you could have races where a pit stop is mandatory.
Set the fuel and tyre usage to a higher multipler.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

GutBomb posted:

take the bentley and ram them into the pit stop

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

LiquidRain posted:

This is why I'll be on pCARS anyway.

Say, Basticle, looks like my quick survey's just about done. Would you mind moving weekly races to Friday evenings? Then the Euro folk can have another time on a Sunday evenings when it doesn't intersect with F1 I s'pose?

Uhh in all my years of online gaming fridays are the worst to get people around since, ya know, they're out doing stuff.

I work tuesday nights, wenesdays i think are when goons do forza, and saturdays going to have much the same problem as friday. So unless people want to do mondays i still maintain thursday nights or sunday early evenings are going to work best

Basticle fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 16, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
While Forza 6 looks very good, PCARS is pretty much my default racing sim now. I can't go back to the lovely grind of earning money to unlock cars mechanic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

While Forza 6 looks very good, PCARS is pretty much my default racing sim now. I can't go back to the lovely grind of earning money to unlock cars mechanic.

Or buying DLC to earn the privilege of grinding money to buy those cars.

Forza did too good and now Microsoft is forcing them to be a flagship title, along with all the pitfalls that entails.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

xzzy posted:

Or buying DLC to earn the privilege of grinding money to buy those cars.

Forza did too good and now Microsoft is forcing them to be a flagship title, along with all the pitfalls that entails.

You get dlc cars for free now. Please lets not invent reasons to not buy forza for the hell of it. Just play what is fun

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I like car games.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Norns posted:

I like car games.

Same

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

For some reason, I like Forza 2 the best. Maybe it's because I don't have 4 and 3 had that weird auto-upgrade thing that took the wonder out of upgrading your crappy Peugeot. Or maybe it's due to my first car sim game, I dunno.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
You were never forced to use the auto upgrade thing anyway, plus it usualy ended up being pretty poo poo compared to doing it yourself.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Forza 2 was the best due to the soundtrack.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Main thing I didn't like about Forza 2 is they really put no effort into the tracks.. the available circuits was almost identical to the first Forza.

They really hit their stride on track availability with FM3.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Forza 3 was pretty drat fun. Using auto upgrade is a sin against humanity even if you don't know what you're doing, though. I thought tuning was pretty accessible for the average person, and you could get a good setup with a little experimentation.

It was definitely easier than Pcars as you could tune, track it, tweak it again, etc really easily. If Pcars did that (and actually retained the changes), drat...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah I'd spend hours in Forza changing settings on the fly and getting feel for how it all fit together. Then it saves and you're done. They never really figured out how to store track-specific configs so you were more or less forced to run with a middle of the road config, but it worked well enough.

Tuning in pcars is like winning ring toss at a carnival.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I want the on track project cars feel with the Forza off track stuff.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Norns posted:

I want the on track project cars feel with the Forza off track stuff.

Magic glue grass and physics-defying quicksand? No thanks.

Although I do laugh at things the WMD nerds argued for NOT having in the game, such as a tyre-wear indicator. Because you don't have such a thing in real life, so it cannot be in the game.

*shifts gears with sequential paddles while driving 50 year old F1 car*
*looks at minimap to anticipate corners*
*survives head-on crash with pitwall*

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I don't really spend time in the grass or sand in Project Cars so if that's really an issue, it's not one I have.

Tintifax
Aug 16, 2012

Hello Spaceman posted:

Magic glue grass and physics-defying quicksand? No thanks.

Although I do laugh at things the WMD nerds argued for NOT having in the game, such as a tyre-wear indicator. Because you don't have such a thing in real life, so it cannot be in the game.

*shifts gears with sequential paddles while driving 50 year old F1 car*
*looks at minimap to anticipate corners*
*survives head-on crash with pitwall*

*looks at the HUD Dash tyre-wear indicator on my phone* :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Tintifax posted:

*looks at the HUD Dash tyre-wear indicator on my phone* :smuggo:

If I ever take gaming that seriously please just shoot me and donate my $800 racing seat and steering wheel and H-pattern shifter to a worthy cause.

• Locked thread