Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The identity an organic you had back then doesn't change the possibility that you're a beautiful gay cyborg now. Dumb Speculation: All androids of the Commonwealth are actually cyborgs as there wasn't enough time to create real fully robotic duplicates. These are the same people that used the brains of executed convicts to power robots when there weren't enough chimps for the military and civilian markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Hopefully there'll be dialogue options where the PC doesn't sound like an rear end in a top hat.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

The fact you can customize the protagonist's spouse means they're likely relevant past the intro.

They also said the baby's appearance is affected by the parents. Seems pointless doing that if you only ever get a glimpse of them in the intro.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

They also said the baby's appearance is affected by the parents. Seems pointless doing that if you only ever get a glimpse of them in the intro.

Pointless like getting Patrick Stewart to voice a few lines at the beginning of the game?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Pointless like getting Patrick Stewart to voice a few lines at the beginning of the game?

Hopefully at least as pointless as finding your dad.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
If the characters are androids (which is very likely) there's a strong chance our hero will find his wife and child in the wastes just like the f3 dude found his dad.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mokinokaro posted:

The fact you can customize the protagonist's spouse means they're likely relevant past the intro.

You can customize them because you can choose to be them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That isn't terribly difficult to do given that you would just take an average of some of the values of the parents.

Also it would look a bit weird if you were a black couple with a white-rear end baby.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Rinkles posted:

You can customize them because you can choose to be them.

They did say that they had a system where the baby would look like both couples.

He actually didn't even touch the customization for the wife, so it's up the air about whether or not the spouse you chose to not play can be customized.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

That isn't terribly difficult to do given that you would just take an average of some of the values of the parents.

Also it would look a bit weird if you were a black couple with a white-rear end baby.

Well, sure. But they made a point of mentioning it on stage, seemed to imply that you'd be seeing more of the kid than a brief glimpse before a nuke goes off.

Beyond making sure the skin colour matches none of the other characteristics would matter if you only ever see it for a moment, it's a baby, it's just a vaguely human sized lump of flesh. But if you do run into them later and they're all done growing up then the parents looks would come into play more.

But someone is gonna turn out to be an android or something aren't they. Luckily Bethesda games generally have sufficient interesting side quests that you can ignore the main story and still get value for money.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 16, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Theta Zero posted:

He actually didn't even touch the customization for the wife, so it's up the air about whether or not the spouse you chose to not play can be customized.

He did, for a second.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Bholder posted:

Why is that every time Bethesda releases a new game, I get reminded why I hate Fallout Elder Scrolls RPG fans. They are like loving manchildren stuck in the 90s and if anything is different from the one GOLDEN RPG then it is awful and must be shunned.
Please, 99% of the posts in this thread are people gushing about how amazing the game looks and ripping their wallets open to pre order the $130 collector's edition with plastic toy. This is what I hate about video game fans, they can't put up with 1% of people not liking their thing. If you don't Love To Consume The Product you're clearly emotionally crippled in some way!

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It does look good. I won't preorder it though, because Bethesda has this history of games horribly broken on launch, and november will be pretty busy month for gaming anyway. XCOM2 is higher on my "to play" list than this.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Goddamn I picked up the collectors edition for cheap about 6 months after it came out on some special clearout offer on play.com, I just checked on Ebay, If I sold lunchbox and the bobble head, I could probably buy the new game three times over. Why do people pay so much for this crap?

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 16, 2015

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
This looks great, I will buy it (non-pip boy, though I like the gimmick).

And boy am I glad I will be forced to be a middle aged, (inset choice of skin color here) family man like god intended instead of special snowflake Shutterfly-rapist with 6+ genders to chose from.

Do people not see this? Being a Joe Average in every way makes it easiest to forget any kind of "forced upon you" (pfft, grow up) personal backstory while dicking around in the sandbox wasteland.
If you suddenly had a totally non standard dude it would be way more difficult to forget it and pretend it is you yourself who shoots plasma into mutant faces.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I'll probably download the pip boy companion app for Shits and GigglesTM but I feel like it will 1) drain my phone's lovely battery 2) actually be slower and less intuitive than just using the in-game controls.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

2house2fly posted:

Please, 99% of the posts in this thread are people gushing about how amazing the game looks and ripping their wallets open to pre order the $130 collector's edition with plastic toy. This is what I hate about video game fans, they can't put up with 1% of people not liking their thing. If you don't Love To Consume The Product you're clearly emotionally crippled in some way!

I just skipped nearly all of the pages from the past day or two because you retards couldn't stop endlessly arguing about the character being a cis-het or people being trolled by crawlkill. I'm no statistician, but it's a far cry from this 99%!!! hugbox you're talking about. try again dumbass

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Well, sure. But they made a point of mentioning it on stage, seemed to imply that you'd be seeing more of the kid than a brief glimpse before a nuke goes off.

Beyond making sure the skin colour matches none of the other characteristics would matter if you only ever see it for a moment, it's a baby, it's just a vaguely human sized lump of flesh. But if you do run into them later and they're all done growing up then the parents looks would come into play more.

But someone is gonna turn out to be an android or something aren't they. Luckily Bethesda games generally have sufficient interesting side quests that you can ignore the main story and still get value for money.

They're all androids. Every last one of them. Even the dog.

Alternately the vault residents were all scanned to be used as android templates so when you're fighting half-decayed synthetic killdroids in the alleys of neo-Boston some of them will be wearing your face, and some of them will be wearing your spouse's face, And the noble android resistance leader Not-Quato will have your psychic android son growing out of his chest.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Hopper posted:

Do people not see this? Being a Joe Average in every way makes it easiest to forget any kind of "forced upon you" (pfft, grow up) personal backstory while dicking around in the sandbox wasteland.
If you suddenly had a totally non standard dude it would be way more difficult to forget it and pretend it is you yourself who shoots plasma into mutant faces.

Yeah I've never actually "pretended it was me" when I've played any game with customization options. I usually make up some freakish abomination, a pop-culture reference or in the case of New Vegas I make up random characters with gimmicks like a crazy cannibal girl with a shaved head (who was otherwise "good" because every single character you make in Fallout 3 and New Vegas is a saint apparently).

I hope that if they don't let you Mad Max your character up in the pre-war story that they at least let you do it in the game proper. But I guess if they do let you get weird, punk hairstyles in the pre-war story it'd be hilarious to be a chick with a mohawk in a Leave it to Beaver episode.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Well that's what I ment. "you yourself" means more like whatever you imagine your dude to be rather than "Me, Olaf Goonson, age 32, single (by choice of course, still a regular sex-haver I'll have you know), IT guy, stranded in the wastelands".

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

This game is going to be hailed as a beautiful commentary on sexual identity politics: "Society (and the mad scientists who built me with lies!) tried to make me believe I was straight, but I know the truth! I am a gay robot!"

No lie, I was very happy to see that you can wear a red evening dress as a man.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
My personal backstory will be this: I'm a mental asylum escapee with visions of a wife and child who doesn't exist

he will fight these visions with extreme prejudice.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 16, 2015

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah I've never actually "pretended it was me" when I've played any game with customization options. I usually make up some freakish abomination, a pop-culture reference or in the case of New Vegas I make up random characters with gimmicks like a crazy cannibal girl with a shaved head (who was otherwise "good" because every single character you make in Fallout 3 and New Vegas is a saint apparently).

I hope that if they don't let you Mad Max your character up in the pre-war story that they at least let you do it in the game proper. But I guess if they do let you get weird, punk hairstyles in the pre-war story it'd be hilarious to be a chick with a mohawk in a Leave it to Beaver episode.

The only games I don't feel weird about making a self-insert character in are things like The Sims where I'm pretty much hands-off and just watching how my simulation does. If it's a game where I've got direct control I generally just hit random until I get something semi-attractive, then ugly it up in one or two distinctive ways to give it a little personality, and then decide what sort of rear end in a top hat I'm going to spend then next hundred hours piloting through fantasyland based on a combination of looks and stat distribution and enforced background lore if it's there.
The only problem I've found with doing things this way is that given the dialogue options of "Tell me more!" and "gently caress off or die." I'll sometimes go for the second one before exhausting the first, because it makes more sense to do so sometimes so long as I haven't decided that I'm playing as an emotionally dead journalist or P.I. that absolutely has to know everything about everything. Haven't played a game like this in the last decade that didn't at at least a couple of points toss in dialogue options or straight-up dialogue that referenced things I'd never been exposed to because the game had given me the option earlier on to say "gently caress off or die." while privately assuming that 0% of people wouldn't choose "Tell me more!" first.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

I never said that, or anything close to that.

And no RPG purists complained about better controls but you still act like that's what happening so you can go on your little rant.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My favorite characters are the ones that kind of emerge by accident from how I play the game. Like my first character in New Vegas became "Scotch" McCoy, a disgraced NCR medic who became a courier to get away from his dishonorable discharge after he botched too many surgeries because he was addicted to Scotch whiskey and Med-X. I wore nothing but my field surgeon BDUs and charged headfirst into battle with a deathwish, drugged and drunk, and the Shotgun Surgeon perk to cut through thugs.

I'm going to invent something colorful for this guy/gal too. Imagination has no limit!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

My personal backstory will be this: I'm a mental asylum escapee with visions of a wife and child who doesn't exist

he will fight these visions with extreme prejudice.

Name your character Lenny and walk around murdering every character named John G.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Odobenidae posted:

I just skipped nearly all of the pages from the past day or two because you retards couldn't stop endlessly arguing about the character being a cis-het or people being trolled by crawlkill. I'm no statistician, but it's a far cry from this 99%!!! hugbox you're talking about. try again dumbass

It was like a handful of people feeding that idiot and most people reading this thread are lurkers, I'm sure you understand. But yes, it was a loving mess to wade through because of those idiots, good it is over for now then.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Lotish posted:

This game is going to be hailed as a beautiful commentary on sexual identity politics: "Society (and the mad scientists who built me with lies!) tried to make me believe I was straight, but I know the truth! I am a gay robot!"

But can you finally go further and find a nice set of jewelry or make-up to craft a nice ensemble? I don't want just some cheap dress found in a gutter. I want to craft it out of the skin of deathclaw I beat to death with my cold metal hands.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

RE: the voice acting, I think Patrick Stewart's VA cameo was fine. The whole idea is that Uriel was only there to introduce the game, and that's what celebrity cameos are for, a few lines of dialogue. Sean Bean sort of sounded like he was mega phoning it in. Liam Neeson was okay, and I think they did much better with the Skyrim celebrity cameos (Christopher Plummer and Max Von Sydow both seemed to take it pretty seriously, and Partharnaax being Mario's voice actor was a great choice).

I'm sure there will be a ton of goony people played by the same 10 VAs, some of whom are affecting a bad Boston accent, but what can you do?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I'm happy that Paul Eiding became a returning actor for Bethesda

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

RE: the voice acting, I think Patrick Stewart's VA cameo was fine. The whole idea is that Uriel was only there to introduce the game, and that's what celebrity cameos are for, a few lines of dialogue. Sean Bean sort of sounded like he was mega phoning it in. Liam Neeson was okay, and I think they did much better with the Skyrim celebrity cameos (Christopher Plummer and Max Von Sydow both seemed to take it pretty seriously, and Partharnaax being Mario's voice actor was a great choice).

I'm sure there will be a ton of goony people played by the same 10 VAs, some of whom are affecting a bad Boston accent, but what can you do?

I personally want the option to play as Liam Neeson dad from Post-Apocalypse Child Simulator 2008 in Post-Apocalypse Parent Simulator 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Bholder posted:

I'm happy that Paul Eiding became a returning actor for Bethesda

I hope he does the old man voice again. I liked Fallout 3's old man voice for some reason.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Lotish posted:

Why is it every single modification people want to make to a Bethesda game always involves dicks? Don't like the look of power armor, add more cocks. Don't like the minimal story background of the player character, add more cocks.

Cocks. Cocks. Cocks.

They don't solve everything, people.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

One of the first mods better be Mark 6 Corvus Power Armor

Gimme the beakie modders!

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

See it kind of bothers me when game companies do that, regardless of the quality of 'celebrity' cameo, their voices are either easily recognizable or they carry in some way because they've have extensive acting experience. Regardless, it creates a sharp contrast when the rest of the games voice acting is a complete mess in comparison; see Oblivion or Fallout 3.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 16, 2015

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah it kinda bothers me too, since if you go for smaller name but still professional VAs you can make the world feel bigger on the same budget.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Back To 99 posted:

Hopefully there'll be dialogue options where the PC doesn't sound like an rear end in a top hat.

This thread shows a player character that always sounds like an rear end in a top hat would be realistic.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

My love poem for Todd Howard (self.Fallout)
submitted 2 hours ago * by GamePhysics

Roses are red, violets are blue,
Fallout looks great, and so do you.
You made me laugh and you made me smile,
when I watched Bethesda's press conference live.
Building weapons, armor, bases,
just look at all these people's faces.
This game will make them feel empowered,
God drat we love you, Todd Howard.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

le me huffing military paint in le wasteland