Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Takoluka posted:

Holy poo poo. I want this line right here to go viral. I want him removed from every radio station that exists.

This sick twisted rear end in a top hat of a man has survived far, far worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Also the Vox article he makes fun of is completely reasonable and even says multiple times "this isn't a huge deal or anything, it's just one small thing that we could to do decrease misogyny in our language."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

America makes a lot more sense when I try to view everything as if i was an infallible babyman who projects onto literally everything I come into contact with.

Actor guy mentions Christ? Good, he's mine now, he drafted onto our team. Too bad for him everyone on his old team will never talk to him again like I do with my grandchildren with their satanic beetlejuice cartoons. Much like me he is now a heroic figure, bravely waking up each day to catalogue but maybe not combat all the ills in his life. Which satan and democrats caused, obviously.

Black people not being treated well? Well they arent on my team. Probably had it coming. Plus those cops are on my team. This looks an awful lot like that Obama police state/FEMA camp/black helicopter poo poo Im always crying about like its a briar patch i dont want to be thrown in...but its my team thats doing it to bad guys so its good.

My dick doesnt work anymore and my wife now fully understands what a feckless wuss i am behind all my bluster...this must be something happening to every male in the country. MEN OF ALL AGES! We must join forces against the female oppression in our homes and tv remotes! Arent you tired of being browbeat and emasculated? No? Thats not a real thing? Uhhhhh well maybe we can just fold your inability to get laid in with all this old man fading away poo poo. Okay? Cool. Conservative men unite! We're tired of you bitches not having sex with us for wildly different reasons that apparently have nothing to do with our attractiveness, since we're all perfect specimens here.

Right Wing Media: Rise of the Infallible Babyman

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The Weekly Standard Cover this week

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
Why is the steamroller being driven by a bunch of blurry Craig Ferguson clones?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Flobbster posted:

Why is the steamroller being driven by a bunch of blurry Craig Ferguson clones?

Why does it need more than one driver, and why isn't he more fabulous?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

baw posted:

Also the Vox article he makes fun of is completely reasonable and even says multiple times "this isn't a huge deal or anything, it's just one small thing that we could to do decrease misogyny in our language."

I don't use it personally, and it gets a lot of poo poo because it's "southern", but "y'all" is the closest thing to a second person plural pronoun. English doesn't really have one.

Singular first person: I
Singular second person: You
Singular third person: He/She
Plural first person: We
Plural second person: ??? (technically "you", but... not really)
Plural third person: Them/They

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Phone posted:

I don't use it personally, and it gets a lot of poo poo because it's "southern", but "y'all" is the closest thing to a second person plural pronoun. English doesn't really have one.

Ain't nothing wrong with "y'all". It's the one good thing to come out of the south. Don't start with any of that yinz bullshit.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Ain't nothing wrong with "y'all". It's the one good thing to come out of the south. Don't start with any of that yinz bullshit.

Hey, the South also has the best barbecue (Lexington Style) and delicious loving biscuits.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

RZA Encryption posted:

I just learned about yinz from a guy who grew up in Pittsburgh.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Madmarker posted:

Hey, the South also has the best barbecue (Lexington Style) and delicious loving biscuits.

Welp, now you've done it. I'm telling the NC LAN thread.

There's only one barbecue sauce and it's Eastern style. Vinegar, brown sugar, and a poo poo load of red pepper. (the no items, fox only, final destination of bbq)

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Phone posted:

Welp, now you've done it. I'm telling the NC LAN thread.

There's only one barbecue sauce and it's Eastern style. Vinegar, brown sugar, and a poo poo load of red pepper. (the no items, fox only, final destination of bbq)

Hey, Eastern style is a close second. But Lexington style is the one true barbecue.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Madmarker posted:

Hey, Eastern style is a close second. But Lexington style is the one true barbecue.

Hey man, it's cool. You dug your grave and now you gotta lay in it.

I'm just a BBQ realist, that's all.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Phone posted:

Hey man, it's cool. You dug your grave and now you gotta lay in it.

I'm just a BBQ realist, that's all.

Its ok for you to have the wrong opinion on barbecue. Bless your heart, you're so zealous about it as well.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Some English, Scots and Irish dialects will have "youse" as a plural. Works quite well I think and should be incorporated into the mainstream.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phone posted:

This might be true but bbq sauce is heresy to begin with.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

computer parts posted:

This might be true but bbq sauce is heresy to begin with.

:frogout:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

It really depends. If it is good BBQ then you wouldn't want sauce on it to begin with.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Madmarker posted:

That's messed up. There's no need to do this. Everybody calm down.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The Weekly Standard Cover this week

GAYYYYYYYYY----

And once again time flows.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
I thought "Y'all" was the singular of "All y'all"

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

Some English, Scots and Irish dialects will have "youse" as a plural. Works quite well I think and should be incorporated into the mainstream.

'Ye' as well.
And yousers for possessive plural.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I vote we stop fighting it and just switch over to ustedes now.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Xibanya posted:

I vote we stop fighting it and just switch over to ustedes now.

Secundado.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Phone posted:

Singular neutral third person: They/Them
Plural second person: You guys

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
Well we could have had "thou" but then the conservatives took it for their team because anti-Christian liberals HATE grammatical persons

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Gravel Gravy posted:

It really depends. If it is good BBQ then you wouldn't want sauce on it to begin with.

Good BBQ uses sauce sparingly to accentuate the meat's natural flavor. Bad BBQ buries meat in a three-inch thick layer of sauce to cover up how dry and bland the meat is.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

Well we could have had "thou" but then the conservatives took it for their team because anti-Christian liberals HATE grammatical persons

Uh, no.

Thou disappeared because it was also a familiar/informal word for you, while you was formal. General linguist consensus seems to be that people started to stick to "you" as urbanization increeased and people got less sure of who they should say thou to and who you should say you to, with settling on "you" because you couldn't offend anyone with it, the way thou might.

You're getting confused by the fact that Christian works preserved the original meaning (the intention is that God is so close to you that you use the informal/familiar). And then over time when people forgot "thou" used to be used for the familiar, many if not most modern English speakers take thou to be a fancy/more formal form of you, a complete opposite, solely fromt he fact that they saw it in a preserved from from the bible and shakespeare and classic poems.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I thought "Y'all" was the singular of "All y'all"

All y'all is sort of a superplural. It goes "you," then "y'all," then "all y'all."

It's sort of like how Spanish has words for "this," "that," and "that over there," representing increasing distance. (Esto, eso and aquel, I wanna say?)

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Who What Now posted:

Good BBQ uses sauce sparingly to accentuate the meat's natural flavor. Bad BBQ buries meat in a three-inch thick layer of sauce to cover up how dry and bland the meat is.

BBQ chat is the best derailment. I don't have tv/radio at the moment what has the general reaction to the trump announcement been?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Chantilly Say posted:

Singular neutral third person: They/Them
Plural second person: You guys

You're right on the neutral third person, but the issue is that there is no neutral plural second person, re: the Vox article.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

AcidRonin posted:

BBQ chat is the best derailment. I don't have tv/radio at the moment what has the general reaction to the trump announcement been?

Like comedy Jesus has come again to save mankind.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Phone posted:

You're right on the neutral third person, but the issue is that there is no neutral plural second person, re: the Vox article.

There is, its just not used everywhere

Ye

pronoun archaic dialect
plural form of thou
"gather ye rosebuds, while ye may"

Its commonly used in Ireland.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

bpower posted:

Like comedy Jesus has come again to save mankind.

This is gonna be the best primary ever isn't it

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

AcidRonin posted:

Yes it is.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

AcidRonin posted:

If it can somehow be any better than 2012's GOP primaries, then it's proof that there is a god and he has one hell of a sense of humor.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

quote:

George Orwell captured the whole notion of this mass delusion and propaganda, the twisted logic of the politics of collective delusion. He put it this way. Well, I'm paraphrasing. But his point was that if you believe something that differs from the social consensus -- and look at the social issues that are harping out there. They're all rooted in this apparent crisis of inequality. Somehow the masses that we're talking about here, the propagandized have been convinced that America is the land of inequality, the land of unfairness.
I love how he obviously lost track od where he was going with that Orwell quote and just moved right along.

AcidRonin posted:

I miss boozechat :smith:

bpower posted:

Yes it is.

Oh I for one am definitely looking forward to seeing his serious ideas for the nation.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Thump! posted:

If it can somehow be any better than 2012's GOP primaries, then it's proof that there is a god and he has one hell of a sense of humor.

Right now this is looking like 2012 if Romney was stuck in the pack instead of Hulk Hogan facing Opponent of the Month.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Thump! posted:

I would've laughed the idea a month ago, but now I think its going to happen. It almost has to. Who knows what form the insanity will take?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Great White Hope posted:

Right now this is looking like 2012 if Romney was stuck in the pack instead of Hulk Hogan facing Opponent of the Month.

Open the blood gates! :buddy: