Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Evil Mastermind posted:

It just occurred to me that a worldship would more than likely have some sort of 40k-esque machine cult, where old maintenance procedures have been passed down as religious rituals. That's your cleric class right there.

"Anoint the power supply with the sacred oil, chant three times, and then depress the great black switch while giving thanks to the machine spirit."

I've been reading the relaunch of X-O Manowar lately. The concept where an race of alien invaders worships a suit of ridiculously powerful armor that they can't use because it kills anyone who tries to put it on until a human slave (in this case, an abducted Visigoth) comes along and enacts a war of vengeance against them would be pretty useful for this kind of campaign as well, modified as necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I don't love the absolute absurdity of Tomb, but the idea that dungeons are more traps than monsters makes me warm and fuzzy inside. I'd like to build a labyrinth of a dungeon, sorta a cross between Tuckers Kobolds and Tomb of Horrors, making the PCs go slowly and methodically, actually using detect spells and holding defensive positions at times rather than just rushing through.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
As far as I remember Lightning Lord Return to White Plume Mountain was actually published in Dungeon, that's why it's not included.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Peril on the Purple Planet is up on DriveThru. It's $30, but there's a ton of content in there.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Peril on the Purple Planet is up on DriveThru. It's $30, but there's a ton of content in there.

$29.99 for 32 pages, according to the product information page.

It's actually 167 pages, but that error attracted my eye before I scrolled down.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 17, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, it's a collection of PDFs of everything in the box set.

Has anyone grabbed this in some capacity? How is it? I have DCC because I apparently picked it up off DriveThru at some point or something, but I haven't really read it yet.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Technically it's not a retroclone or D&D, but the latest Bundle of Holding is the old Little Black Book edition of Traveller.

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/TravellerLBBs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hey! We're the July thread of the month! Run more OSR, awesome dudes!

The AD&D 1st Edition Player's Handbook is available through DriveThruRPG for 9.99 USD: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17003/Players-Handbook-1e

The prose is still purple and the organization of the book is still Gygaxian, but the text is so, so clear.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Somebody run some Stars Without Number or E&E games.

quote:

The AD&D 1st Edition Player's Handbook is available through DriveThruRPG for 9.99 USD: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17003/Players-Handbook-1e

The prose is still purple and the organization of the book is still Gygaxian, but the text is so, so clear.
At least it's not another Dragonlance book.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Kilo147 posted:

I don't love the absolute absurdity of Tomb, but the idea that dungeons are more traps than monsters makes me warm and fuzzy inside. I'd like to build a labyrinth of a dungeon, sorta a cross between Tuckers Kobolds and Tomb of Horrors, making the PCs go slowly and methodically, actually using detect spells and holding defensive positions at times rather than just rushing through.

I think you're going to be surprised at how quickly your players will tire of jumping through your hoops and repeating "I probe the floor and ceiling of the entire room/corridor, I check every wall for traps, I check every wall for secret doors, I check every exit for traps, repeat. repeat repeart repeagaaah kill me"

Anyway feel free to google "Grimtooth's traps" and check out a PDF of traps that you can use for inspiration. Most of them are complete poo poo but they'll get the juices flowing. AD&D is a lovely system for running traps though, as you're going to discover.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Come play, m'lords (and ladies).

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think you're going to be surprised at how quickly your players will tire of jumping through your hoops and repeating "I probe the floor and ceiling of the entire room/corridor, I check every wall for traps, I check every wall for secret doors, I check every exit for traps, repeat. repeat repeart repeagaaah kill me"
Yeah that stuff makes great (brief) danger-zone interludes but terrible main stories.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Anyway feel free to google "Grimtooth's traps" and check out a PDF of traps that you can use for inspiration. Most of them are complete poo poo but they'll get the juices flowing. AD&D is a lovely system for running traps though, as you're going to discover.
I actually used the sword made of uranium in a horror campaign and got to describe the symptoms of radiation poisoning gradually across sessions. That one is actually fun because they have time to solve the mystery instead of lovely save or die tomb of horrors crap.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I actually used the sword made of uranium in a horror campaign and got to describe the symptoms of radiation poisoning gradually across sessions.
Ive never used Grimtooths, so dont know how that was implemented, but for trivias sake that is similar to the effect of one of Moorcocks less-known Eternal Champion's blades. (Erokose's Kanajan.) (Of course in that case it doesnt harm the wielder.)

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

drat, I just got the perfect idea for a Beyond the Wall campaign which I would totally run as a PbP if it weren't for the fact that I'm already dedicated to running the Opened Barrow.

First of all, playbooks are limited to the Mages and multiclass characters who have at least bit of Mage in the equation. You go through character creation as normal, except that through the NPCs and locations the players add into the game they are not defining their home village, but the school of magic they go to. Each level corresponds to their wizard school grade, and each session takes place over the course of a year (with lots of time dilation of course) during which the GM uses one of the threat packs to set up a looming danger hanging over the school that year and another mystery for the PCs to solve.

Congratulations, you're now playing Harry Potter and the Tomb of Horrors.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Ratpick posted:

drat, I just got the perfect idea for a Beyond the Wall campaign which I would totally run as a PbP if it weren't for the fact that I'm already dedicated to running the Opened Barrow.

First of all, playbooks are limited to the Mages and multiclass characters who have at least bit of Mage in the equation. You go through character creation as normal, except that through the NPCs and locations the players add into the game they are not defining their home village, but the school of magic they go to. Each level corresponds to their wizard school grade, and each session takes place over the course of a year (with lots of time dilation of course) during which the GM uses one of the threat packs to set up a looming danger hanging over the school that year and another mystery for the PCs to solve.

Congratulations, you're now playing Harry Potter and the Tomb of Horrors.

I am sorry, but I am going to steal your idea for my home group.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Commissar Kip posted:

I am sorry, but I am going to steal your idea for my home group.

Go right ahead! This idea came to me last night as I was browsing all my Beyond the Wall stuff! With the playbooks from the base game plus the stuff from the Village and Nobility playbooks and the new free supplement Across the Veil (dealing in adventures with a death-related theme, including an all new scenario pack, a threat pack and a bunch of rules for exploring the land of the dead) there's, what, at least five different flavors of pure Mage in the game? Although for the purposes of this game I'd probably leave out the Devoted Acolyte, because it carries with itself too much D&D related baggage (the idea of magic as something related to religious worship).

Also, I have to say that I love the exploration rules from Further Afield. Like in traditional old school D&D for each day you travel you have to roll a random wilderness encounter, but the wilderness encounter tables aren't just lists of random monsters you can run into, but complications that can arise during your travels, with advice as to which kinds of checks the players can make to overcome said complications.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
So, on the Sine Nomine end of things, I'm super excited by a bunch of the stuff Kevin Crawford is brewing up.

Starvation Cheap is due to start its kickstarter on Monday the 13th. Another Stars Without Number book, it's full of

quote:

25 new War Tags to help define the nature of conflicts between terrestrial foes, plus a mission-building system that walks you through the process of turning a random battlefield into a playable night's gaming. There are guidelines for constructing planetary armies, and procedures for building or hiring mercenary legions should the PCs get a few million spare credits in their pockets and want to express their unhappiness with someone. And, of course, there are tools for playing the grunts on the battlefield, toting the latest in military hardware and wielding that most lethal of modern weapons: a functioning radio.

This was the book that was announced at the end of his last Kickstarter, so it's certainly not a surprise, but I'm very excited to see it come out. The mission building system sounds like something I've been looking for out of a sci-fi RPG for a while, and the rest is just gravy.

On the other hand,
Advanced Eidolons And Exemplars is already available in the form on a slowly incrementing beta. I have a feeling that the slim little original E&E may have been a surprise hit for him (and so far it's been a lot of fun for me to run), but this version full of demigods, strange mystical schools, and a congealing implied setting seems like it's going to go much further. I've been thinking of trying to run a game of it on the forums, but I'm not sure how much intersection there is between people into OSR stuff (even Sine Nomine's) and folks who want to be world striding heroes from the get go.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I've been really enjoying Abulafia lately, so I thought I'd share a link to a generator I added.

http://www.random-generator.com/index.php?title=Questions_and_Consequences

Its basic purpose is to simulate a really crazy 0-level funnel for DCC while making use of a bunch of cool generators other people built that I liked. The idea is the DM would read one of the questions, and then the players decide among themselves which of their characters does the action implied in the question. The DM would then read the consequence to the players and move on to the next question.

Sometimes the 0-level dies right away, sometimes he or she finds a cool treasure or gains a new power, sometimes they get a "DM IOU", like a treasure map, and sometimes there's just some bit of lore or setting building that can serve as a hook for the character and the DM to take in whatever direction he or she wants.

There's over 50 questions and each question has at least 4 consequences, with several having an additional 4 that branch out if a specific one gets rolled.

Examples:

Who looked under the loose stone in the bandit’s tower?
You find a small leather pouch.
Inside are 6 of what appear to be wedding rings, of various styles and ages.

Who pulled the arrow from the dead lion?
When you touch the arrow, you get a vision of a grim far future where there’s only war. If you shoot the arrow at someone, they will be sent there.

Who pulled the lever in the third chamber of the Frenzied Caverns of Invisible Torture?
A magical current jolts your muscles. You can either lose one strength and gain one agility, or lose one agility and gain one strength.

Anyway, thought I'd share since I know some people like DCC and it worked out pretty decently at the table when I did a much rougher version to get a player caught up to the others. Also, Abulafia is a great site and there's some really amazing content there, if you haven't surfed around it before.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Goodman Games has just announced Mutant Crawl Classics, but there's very little information about it yet.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Evil Mastermind posted:

Goodman Games has just announced Mutant Crawl Classics, but there's very little information about it yet.

hmm I wonder if they're going to stick with preset classes like DCC or are they going to go with something closer to how most versions of Gamma World handle it?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

LeSquide posted:

I've been thinking of trying to run a game of it on the forums, but I'm not sure how much intersection there is between people into OSR stuff (even Sine Nomine's) and folks who want to be world striding heroes from the get go.
Everyone who ever gave a poo poo about BECMI has been waiting on a fixed version of the Immortals box set for decades.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Do it! Some of us are tired of having to start as shitfarmers all the time, and Exalted is somewhat popular here. I'd definitely play.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

gradenko_2000 posted:

Do it! Some of us are tired of having to start as shitfarmers all the time, and Exalted is somewhat popular here. I'd definitely play.

Same.

Personally would probably go for some Endurance and Sword, not sure what the third Sphere would be.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think Kevin Crawford's stuff is some of the more actually interesting OSR inspired stuff I've come across in a while, not even just the higher-powered stuff like E&E, and I too would be down for a PbP if you're offering.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Running Scarlet Heroes with a normal-sized playing group and throwing out the Fray Die seems like a pretty good way to run B/X D&D straight without killing off the players left and right.

"Oh I rolled a 50 on the Number Appearing for some goblins! Not a problem :agesilaus: "

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
You could probably even keep the Fray Die if you were willing to adjust the size or pace of combat encounters to compensate.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I mean one of the main reasons I like DCC is because it doesn't hide the weird poo poo behind a waist-high barrier of goblins and rats, so I wouldn't mind an OSR game where PCs start out with lightning eyes at all.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LeSquide posted:

I've been thinking of trying to run a game of it on the forums, but I'm not sure how much intersection there is between people into OSR stuff (even Sine Nomine's) and folks who want to be world striding heroes from the get go.
Please do. I'm always a fan of shaking the pillars of heaven.

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

Speaking of Kevin Crawford, Spears of the Dawn is part of the current Bundle of Holding. Even if you don't care about the other stuff, the smaller bundle is $6, and Spears is normally $10 at DTRPG, so.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Worth the asking price by itself.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Evil Mastermind posted:

This looks awesome. Hopefully I don't have to own DCC to run it. I don't need another fantasy RPG but a gamma world type RPG would be awesome for one-shots.

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich
I folded and got myself Yoon-Suin from Lulu. The author describes it thusly:.

"Yoon-Suin is a campaign toolbox for fantasy games, giving you the equipment necessary to run a sandbox campaign in your own Yoon-Suin - a region of high adventure shrouded in ancient mysteries, opium smoke, great luxury and opulent cruelty.

Contains: A bestiary of unique monsters, including self-mummified monks, liquid golems, tiger-beetle men, figments, and dozens more;
a new character class, the Crab-man; a chapter for each of the major regions of Yoon-Suin, filled with random generators to brainstorm map contents, social groups, and more; extended rules for poisons, tea, opium, trade, deities and so on; extended rules for exploring the Old Town of the Yellow City, and the haunted jungles of Lahag; many encounter tables; well over 100 pre-written adventure locales; purple prose; 320+ pages of usefulness."

And holy crap, he wasn't kidding - in many ways this book like a tribute to High Gygaxian weirdness, but jampacked with Kevin-Crawford-like tables for generating useful campaign content.

Highly recommended; IMO this one is right up there with Vornheim and Red Tide.

Scumedit: It would play pretty drat well with E&E - I think. Anyone seen any actual play reports on E&E?

VacuumJockey fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 10, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Has anyone given White Star a look yet? I know a lot of people have been gushing over it on various fora.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

VacuumJockey posted:

I folded and got myself Yoon-Suin from Lulu. The author describes it thusly:.

"Yoon-Suin is a campaign toolbox for fantasy games, giving you the equipment necessary to run a sandbox campaign in your own Yoon-Suin - a region of high adventure shrouded in ancient mysteries, opium smoke, great luxury and opulent cruelty.

Contains: A bestiary of unique monsters, including self-mummified monks, liquid golems, tiger-beetle men, figments, and dozens more;
a new character class, the Crab-man; a chapter for each of the major regions of Yoon-Suin, filled with random generators to brainstorm map contents, social groups, and more; extended rules for poisons, tea, opium, trade, deities and so on; extended rules for exploring the Old Town of the Yellow City, and the haunted jungles of Lahag; many encounter tables; well over 100 pre-written adventure locales; purple prose; 320+ pages of usefulness."

And holy crap, he wasn't kidding - in many ways this book like a tribute to High Gygaxian weirdness, but jampacked with Kevin-Crawford-like tables for generating useful campaign content.

Highly recommended; IMO this one is right up there with Vornheim and Red Tide.

Scumedit: It would play pretty drat well with E&E - I think. Anyone seen any actual play reports on E&E?
Is there a pdf&print bundle of Yoon-Suin anywhere?

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Evil Mastermind posted:

Has anyone given White Star a look yet? I know a lot of people have been gushing over it on various fora.

Sounds like X-plorers to me, but I haven't read it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Strangely, the first I ever heard of this system was when I saw the magical girls supplement for it. Such an odd idea to mix those genres.

What makes this game something people gush over?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

Strangely, the first I ever heard of this system was when I saw the magical girls supplement for it. Such an odd idea to mix those genres.

What makes this game something people gush over?

Basically the fact that it's based on Swords & Wizardry, apparently.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Basically the fact that it's based on Swords & Wizardry, apparently.

That isn't a super big endorsement to me as I've never played S&W. How does it compare to Sine Nomine's Stars Without Number?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

That isn't a super big endorsement to me as I've never played S&W. How does it compare to Sine Nomine's Stars Without Number?

I don't know; I've never read S&W either. That's why I was asking.

• Locked thread