Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

lol just like God

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8qoB1XwtHM

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
“Texas was in a long period of drought until Governor Perry signed the fetal pain bill,” she told the audience, presumably referring to HB 2, the omnibus Texas abortion bill that included a 20-week ban based on junk science. “It rained that night. Now God has His hold on California.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
thread sucks ban op

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Alani Santos, 11, croons into a microphone at her father’s church in a small city outside of Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. She’s healing a boy about her age with cancer and heart problems, singing prayers until he says he feels his illnesses have left him. Alani, who began healing at age 3, is one of an estimated thousand or more child preachers in Brazil.

Brazil, Alani’s father explains, has a weak healthcare system. Preachers and religious healers offer a way for the sick and suffering to take their health into their own hands. Some say that the child preachers are false prophets, exploited by the adults who publicize them, while others say they’re messengers of God, performing real, concrete miracles. Which is it? Watch the video above to decide for yourself, and find more on child preachers in The New York Times.

Watch This Next: Transgender Troops: At War, in Love, and Fighting to Serve Openly

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Volume posted:

Alani Santos, 11, croons into a microphone at her father’s church in a small city outside of Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. She’s healing a boy about her age with cancer and heart problems, singing prayers until he says he feels his illnesses have left him. Alani, who began healing at age 3, is one of an estimated thousand or more child preachers in Brazil.

Brazil, Alani’s father explains, has a weak healthcare system. Preachers and religious healers offer a way for the sick and suffering to take their health into their own hands. Some say that the child preachers are false prophets, exploited by the adults who publicize them, while others say they’re messengers of God, performing real, concrete miracles. Which is it? Watch the video above to decide for yourself, and find more on child preachers in The New York Times.

Watch This Next: Transgender Troops: At War, in Love, and Fighting to Serve Openly

Long-haired preachers come out every night

Try to tell you what's wrong and what's right
Long-haired preachers come out every night

Try to tell you what's wrong and what's right

But when you ask how about something to eat

They will tell you in voices so sweet

You will eat bye and bye

In that glorious land above the sky

Work and pray, live on hay

You'll get pie in the sky when you die

And the starvation army they played

And they sang and they clapped and they prayed

Till they've got all your coins on the drum

Then they'll tell you when your on the bum

You will eat bye and bye

You'll get pie in the sky when you die (that's a lie)

Holy Rollers and Jumpers come out

And they roll and they jump and they shout

Give your money to Jesus they say

And you will eat on that glorious day

You will eat bye and bye

You'll get pie in the sky when you die

Working folks of all countries unite

Side by side we for freedom shall fight

Then this world and it's wealth we have gained

To the grafters we'll sing this refrain

You will eat, bye and bye

When you've learned how to cook and how to fry

Chop some wood do you good

And you'll eat in the sweet bye and bye (that's no lie)

Top City Homo fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 13, 2015

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
why does every sentence in the bible have its own number to cite it by? to make it easy to reference things out of context?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Ocean Book posted:

why does every sentence in the bible have its own number to cite it by? to make it easy to reference things out of context?

yes

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Skeptics often claim, “The Bible is not a science textbook.” This, of course, is true—because science textbooks change every year, whereas the Bible is the unchanging Word of God — the God who cannot lie. Nevertheless, the Bible can be relied upon when it touches on every scientific issue, including ecology. It is the Bible that gives us the big picture. Within this big picture, we can build scientific models that help us explain how past events may have come about. Such models should be held to lightly, but the Scripture to which they refer is inerrant. That is to say future research may cast doubt on an actual model, without casting doubt on Scripture.

With this in mind, the question needs to be asked, “Is there a Bible-based model that we can use to help explain how animals might have migrated from where the Ark landed to where they live today?” The answer is yes.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
:gas:

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

nope

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
judas was a beta & a sjw

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Life is life. Why kill a baby if the mother's life is in danger? Why not let the mother die and save the baby? Who are we to choose which life should be chosen over another? Why not leave it into God's hands to decide who should live or die. It is disturbing that some people claim to be pro life then put restrictions on life....

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
imo jesus had some interesting ideas that fit into a 40 page book and were basically a retelling of the Book of Prophets (mainly Isaiah) into a nice homely moral tale about how being humble, charitable and forgiving, by being good by your neighbor and honoring your family and caring for the weakest members of society will glorify God.

but thats difficult to do when you are a recently converted german tribal heathen who really likes to rape and murder

lowest common denominator religion= child rape cult

god bless

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That's why the Heliand is all "Jesus is Jarl over the whole world and the Apostles were his totally badass warriors. You can be a badass too if you learn to chant the Godspell and are loyal to Jesus! :black101:"

EDIT: Check out the Heliand's version of the Nativity, it's great just like the rest of the book

quote:

Then there came a decree from Ft. Rome, from the great Octavian who had power over the whole world, an order from Caesar to his wide realm sent to every king enthroned in his homeland and to all Caesar’s army commanders governing the people of any territory.… It stated that all warrior heroes were to return to their assembly place, each one was to go back to the clan of which he was a family member by birth in a hill-fort….The good Joseph went also with his household, just as God, ruling mightily, willed it. He made his way to his shining home, the hill-fort at Bethlehem. This was the assembly place for both of them, for Joseph the hero and for Mary the good, the holy girl. This was the place where in olden days the throne of the great and noble good King David stood for as long as he reigned, enthroned on high, an earl of the Hebrews.

I have heard it told that the shining workings of fate and the power of God told Mary that on this journey a son would be granted her, born in Bethlehem, the strongest child, the most powerful of all kings, the Great One come powerfully to the light of mankind—just as foretold by many visions and signs. . . And it came to pass just as wise men had said long ago: that the Protector of People would come in a humble way, by his own power to visit this kingdom of earth. His mother, that most beautiful woman, took Him, wrapped Him in clothes and precious jewels, and then with her two hands laid Him gently, the little man, that child, in a fodder-crib, even though He had the power of God, and was the Chieftain of mankind. There the mother sat in front of him and remained awake, watching over the holy Child and holding it.

What happened became known to the horse-servants. They were outside; they were men on sentry duty, watching over the horses, the beasts of the field: they saw the darkness split in two in the sky, and the light of God came shining through the clouds and surrounded the guards in the fields. Those men began to feel fear in their hearts. They saw the mighty angel of God coming toward them. He spoke to the guards face to face and told them not to fear any harm from the light. “I am going to tell you,” he said, “something very wonderful, something very deeply desired. I want to let you know something very powerful: Christ is now born, on this very night, God’s holy child, the good Chieftain, at David’s hill-fort. What happiness for the human race, a boon for all men! You can find Him, the most powerful child, at Fort Bethlehem. He is there, wrapped up, lying in a fodder crib—even though he is king over all the earth and the Ruler of the world.” Just as he said that word, an enormous number of the holy army, the shining people of God, came down to the one angel from the meadows of heaven, saying many words of praise for the Lord of Peoples. They then began to sing a holy song as they wended their way through the clouds toward the meadows of heaven.

They soon found him, the Chieftain of Clans. They praised God the Ruler with their words. The lady, the holy girl, his mother, kept in her mind and in her heart whatever she heard the men saying.

Many heroes, the earls, very intelligent men, spoke on the eighth day with God’s girl, saying that the Child should have the name “healer” just as the angel of God, Gabriel, said in truthful words when he, as God’s messenger, gave this command to the woman. The mother, the loveliest of ladies, then fittingly brought up the Chieftain of many men, the holy heavenly Child, on love.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 16, 2015

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Pththya-lyi posted:

That's why the Heliand is all "Jesus is Jarl over the whole world and the Apostles were his totally badass warriors. You can be a badass too if you learn to chant the Godspell and are loyal to Jesus! :black101:"

EDIT: Check out the Heliand's version of the Nativity, it's great just like the rest of the book

:dogbutton: and this is why we never wanted the Torah to be translated.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Top City Homo posted:

:dogbutton: and this is why we never wanted the Torah to be translated.

When the Heliand gets to the part where Jesus is getting arrested and Simon Peter chops a servant's ear off with a sword (John 18:10), the text starts going on about how Simon Peter manfully leapt up to Defend His Lord and What A Great And Loyal Warrior He Was and :gizz:. But then Jesus stops Simon Peter and there's even more :gizz: about how obeying your lord is even more important than protecting him. (So much for "Those who live by the sword will die by the sword.") It's my favorite part, I wish I could find it online.

E: Here's the Lord's Prayer in Saxon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8H9NIhd92Y

And here's a translation:

Heliand posted:

Father of us all, the sons of men
You are in the high heavenly kingdom
Blessed be Your name in every word
May Your mighty kingdom come
May Your will be done over all this world—
just the same on earth as it is up there
in the high heavenly kingdom.
Give us support, each day, good Chieftain,
Your holy help, and pardon, Protector of Heaven,
our many crimes, just as we do to other human beings
Do not let loathsome wights lead us off
to do their will, as we deserve,

but help us against all evil deeds.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 16, 2015

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i really like that scripture is "just" fanfics of vague secondhand recollections of poo poo that probably went down, maybe. dumb poo poo like groverhaus and lost fingat would make for great religion. "lest man be slain by his own dwelling"

quakster fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 16, 2015

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

quakster posted:

i really like that scripture is "just" fanfics of vague secondhand recollections of poo poo that probably went down, maybe. dumb poo poo like groverhaus and lost fingat would make for great religion. "lest man be slain by his own dwelling"

furries and bronies are clearly demonically-possessed

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
German Warlord Jezus

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pththya-lyi posted:

furries and bronies are clearly demonically-possessed
my digestive bacteria don't work right. i asked why and they told me they're legion

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

quakster posted:

I could see "The Sermon from the Groverhaus" and "Parable of the Lost Fingat" being scripture.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Top City Homo posted:

German Warlord Jezus

I feel like a lot more people would go to church these days if they could learn about the Chieftain of Chieftains and His magical Godspell

The trick would be separating the Neo-Nazis from the nice chill people

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Volume posted:

Skeptics often claim, “The Bible is not a science textbook.” This, of course, is true—because science textbooks change every year, whereas the Bible is the unchanging Word of God — the God who cannot lie. Nevertheless, the Bible can be relied upon when it touches on every scientific issue, including ecology. It is the Bible that gives us the big picture. Within this big picture, we can build scientific models that help us explain how past events may have come about. Such models should be held to lightly, but the Scripture to which they refer is inerrant. That is to say future research may cast doubt on an actual model, without casting doubt on Scripture.

With this in mind, the question needs to be asked, “Is there a Bible-based model that we can use to help explain how animals might have migrated from where the Ark landed to where they live today?” The answer is yes.

I have asked my Fundamentalist relatives about the need for redemption by Jesus. Their standard answer boils down to "God is perfect, and can't allow imperfect things like sinful humans near him. That is why we need the transforming power of jesus." When I ask where they get this, it comes from some obscure bible verses or other.

My response is this: If god can't allow imperfection near him, that tells us one of two things.
A. God is being arbitrary and capricious and does not deserve our worship, because he's being a dick about joining the club.
B. Some power beyond god is imposing this requirement, and we should be worshiping that, instead.

The bible is not perfect, and there is no way to prove it is. As far as what it says about scientific subjects, it always seems to go through 3 distinct stages.

1. That's not what the bible says! Die, heretic!!!!!
2. The bible doesn't really say anything on that subject.
3. That's what the bible says, too! See, it proves the bible is perfect, because it predicted this, long before science discovered it.

I'd be impressed if the bible did something that was obviously scientific, like predict the existence of neutrons or viruses or even Antarctica. But it doesn't.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the bilble is a science textbook but part of the class who read it decided "good enough" and started killing people who wanted to write more books

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
god is a quality assurance department, trying to work out kinks in the product before they ship it

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

genesplicer posted:

I have asked my Fundamentalist relatives about the need for redemption by Jesus.

The runes of the Godspell are potent against the forces of Fate (e: and Time, can't forget Time), you need to accept their holy power or you'll be helpless against wights and rival warriors and who knows what else

I'm praying for you, genesplicer

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 16, 2015

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

genesplicer posted:

I have asked my Fundamentalist relatives about the need for redemption by Jesus. Their standard answer boils down to "God is perfect, and can't allow imperfect things like sinful humans near him. That is why we need the transforming power of jesus." When I ask where they get this, it comes from some obscure bible verses or other.

My response is this: If god can't allow imperfection near him, that tells us one of two things.
A. God is being arbitrary and capricious and does not deserve our worship, because he's being a dick about joining the club.
B. Some power beyond god is imposing this requirement, and we should be worshiping that, instead.

The bible is not perfect, and there is no way to prove it is. As far as what it says about scientific subjects, it always seems to go through 3 distinct stages.

1. That's not what the bible says! Die, heretic!!!!!
2. The bible doesn't really say anything on that subject.
3. That's what the bible says, too! See, it proves the bible is perfect, because it predicted this, long before science discovered it.

I'd be impressed if the bible did something that was obviously scientific, like predict the existence of neutrons or viruses or even Antarctica. But it doesn't.

this man believes that God, an omnipotent being who deemed necessary to communicate with the ants of humanity, related concepts like general relativity and simplified it to terms we could understand

13 billion years is actually 6 days from the beginning of the universe

http://geraldschroeder.com/wordpress/?page_id=53

in any case, the point of the bible has always been to impart a moral lesson, not a scientific one. People who waste their time trying to square a hole have autism of some sort.

Top City Homo fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 16, 2015

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Pththya-lyi posted:

I feel like a lot more people would go to church these days if they could learn about the Chieftain of Chieftains and His magical Godspell

The trick would be separating the Neo-Nazis from the nice chill people

an so the warlord jezus bellowed a mighty roar and swung his axe, Gore Mutilator, at the petty gods of earth, wind, water and fire, shattering their spines with one fell swoop and absorbing the power they have stolen from him in his slumber after creation. So it is in valhalla so it is on earth. May the godspell we give you today invoke the iron tipped boots of the mighty warlord and bring crushing woe upon your enemies, as the days of yore.

Praise the Chief of Chiefs!

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Top City Homo posted:

this man believes that God, an omnipotent being who deemed necessary to communicate with the ants of humanity, related concepts like general relativity and simplified it to terms we could understand

13 billion years is actually 6 days from the beginning of the universe

http://geraldschroeder.com/wordpress/?page_id=53

in any case, the point of the bible has always been to impart a moral lesson, not a scientific one. People who waste their time trying to square a hole have autism of some sort.

The very important moral lesson that you should not shave your beard.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Kanthulhu posted:

The very important moral lesson that you should not shave your beard.

it is an abomination

also whores

basically the best things in life are an abomination to this dude and not some priest who edited it

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Seeing a slut with her clothes off ought to make you mad. I love the beauty of the Hawaiian islands, but I loathe and hate the whorish hula dancers. They have bad character, thinking it is OK to get naked and entice men with their bodies. It is HEATHENDOM!!! If that is funny to you, you have a wicked heart!

That's why, even though I love to play Hawaiian songs on the steel guitar, I could never play steel guitar at such spiritually bankrupt events where sluts do the hula. Sexual immorality may seem normal for the unregenerate man, but as believers God expects us to be crucified with Jesus Christ. I AM CRUCIFIED WITH CHRIST, NEVERTHELESS I LIVE; YET NOT I, BUT CHRIST LIVETH IN ME (Galatians 2:20). I hate evil as God told me to in Psalms 97:10! I hate the lewd sluts and ungodly women who gyrate their hips for lustful men. The average person doesn't care or see any harm in such lewdness, but God condemns lust, filthy-mindedness, uncleanliness and sexual lasciviousness (Matthew 5:28; Colossians 3:5-6). Hawaii is a moral cesspool of iniquity!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Train posted:

jesus christ died for your sins - most badass

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

imo if ur a Christian and Jesus or the prophets didn't say it u are reading and following the thoughts and morality of a degenerate pedophile misogynist Or German protohitler

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Volume posted:

Blue Train posted:

jesus christ died for your sins - most badass

Again, why did god have to do this? If he is all-powerful, he could have made any rule, or no rule. "If you want to go to heaven, you must place your left pinkie into your right nostril while standing on one foot. If you are incapable this, you can either imagine you are doing it, or someone may do it in your place."'

The whole Jesus thing is arbitrary as hell.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
god's got some good ideas, but only an infinite amount of radiums on infinite input devices to help him implement them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

genesplicer posted:

Again, why did god have to do this? If he is all-powerful, he could have made any rule, or no rule. "If you want to go to heaven, you must place your left pinkie into your right nostril while standing on one foot. If you are incapable this, you can either imagine you are doing it, or someone may do it in your place."'

The whole Jesus thing is arbitrary as hell.

It's not even internally consistent, even if you accept all the stupid premises about sin and so on. Why was it necessary for god to become a person? Why does that do anything? Why not just forgive everybody? The whole idea of being saved or condemned based on a secret test is stupid.

• Locked thread