Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Fallout 4 takes place in Nevernever Land, where if you believe it, it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Lotish posted:

Fallout 4 takes place in Nevernever Land, where if you believe it, it's true.

And luck is a known quantity.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Gonna be angry if painting flames on your power armor doesn't make it go faster.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

New Vegas had an amazing cast and I hope Bethesda takes note.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I assume Bethesda must be getting actors from the MD area since their cast tends to not have anything else noteworthy on their resumes. Seeing as how that Mister Handy in the trailer had the same voice as the ones in Fallout 3 I wouldn't hold out much hope for the incidental characters this time around.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So, I heard FO4's doing away with skills and perks?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Bethesda needs to just buy whatever engine Witcher 3 is built on because I'm tired of creative or whatever the gently caress their engine is called now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Deakul posted:

Supposedly they didn't include Perks in this build to avoid spoiling them. Skills are going to be rolled in with Perks though (think like Skyrim's skill thing).

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
It's weird that in Skyrim they removed Attributes and kept skills, while in Fallout they kept Attributes and removed skills.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

sout posted:

I'm pretty excited for the game, there's definitely some cool looking stuff in there but I am totally bummed out at the speech system and dialogue - while I don't mind a voiced protag this is their casting call dialogue.

This looks like the scene showed in the Microsoft demo, which leads to the player putting the fusion core in the power armor and grabbing the minigun off a crashed Vertibird. If that's the scene this script shows, the dialogue has been heavily revamped from the script leaks and only has the bare bones of this page in it. This also obviously only shows one path of dialogue, because it's a casting call and they don't need you to do every single piece of dialogue from that quest for an audition.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

steinrokkan posted:

I think it's that in the previous games once you left for the adventure, you left your background behind, and were no longer bound by any ties to the past (debatable). In FO4, with the PC returning home to his robot, there being an implied plot about his family etc., it seems like the plot will be at least partially about the character reclaiming his pre-war background, rather than about escaping it - so in effect there will be less of a space for player self-actualization. It's all speculation, but it's natural, given how prominently the character background features in all promo materials.

Actually the previous games were about saving and trying to return to your home? The only one where that isn't true is New Vegas.

Also worth noting that you were a straight white person in the first two games no matter what you chose. Well, I guess a female Chosen One could still hit up a couple of the brothels and the male Chosen One could be gay for pay but I wouldn't exactly call that progressive.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

ShadowMar posted:

Gonna be angry if painting flames on your power armor doesn't make it go faster.

Now come on, it is well known that red wunz go fasta!

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Well the game is already full of Greaser gangs. Why not add in hotrods?

Except we still have no bitchin Highwayman to trick out so we need to hotrod our power armour. Then kill people in style.

Can't wait to paint mine up in some godawful anime abortion like the plane skins you see in games like Ace Combat.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Fallout 4 looks fun

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
It's really a very small thing but I hope comments on my stat/tag skill distribution are still in. Being slotted as a vault loyalty inspector or told I looked strong enough to run off a deathclaw with a switch was always a nice touch to start a game off with.

I'd like door to door vault-tec dude to comment on my 10 strength, endurance and agility and nothing else character.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Odds are that it says that on every paint job though.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

J-Spot posted:

I assume Bethesda must be getting actors from the MD area since their cast tends to not have anything else noteworthy on their resumes. Seeing as how that Mister Handy in the trailer had the same voice as the ones in Fallout 3 I wouldn't hold out much hope for the incidental characters this time around.

You can also note that the Vault-Tec surveyor who determines your stats is also the guy who voice Sten Braun (Eeeeevil Institute Guy) and that drunk guard from the Overpass town)

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Zzulu posted:

Fallout 4 looks fun

Agreed

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

This is a series where wearing pajamas increases charisma, I don't see why armor paint can't increase strength.

shitting stars
Jun 11, 2008

Tei posted:

On a RPG you are role playing a character, not playing yourself. Of course, the character you can roleplay can be yourself but thats like going to a costume party with your everyday dress, is like the moronic option.

I never understood people who did this. Those that choose 'Human' as their race, make a generic white dude, and then name it after themselves. What fun is that? You don't have to be a lizard prostitute or werewolf or something, but switch it up a little.

That robot butler knowing "over 1000 of the most common names" is gonna be useless to me because of this.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

making GBS threads stars posted:

I never understood people who did this. Those that choose 'Human' as their race, make a generic white dude, and then name it after themselves. What fun is that? You don't have to be a lizard prostitute or werewolf or something, but switch it up a little.

That robot butler knowing "over 1000 of the most common names" is gonna be useless to me because of this.

Umm.. ever heard of the Hero's Journey? Can you believe this guy!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Perhaps I want to imagine what I would do in a fantastic situation? It's my escapism, so I want to be in it. I want to pretend that I'm not an overweight, clumsy gently caress up but an athletic genius everyone loves. Let me have that!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

This is a series where wearing pajamas increases charisma, I don't see why armor paint can't increase strength.

You haven't seen me in my pyjamas.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Hopefully Frank Horrigan will be one of names

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
In all honesty all the rage in this thread is way more entertaining than the disgusting circle jerk over Todd Howard at r/fallout.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

making GBS threads stars posted:

I'm with you. The worst part is that so many people do it, though. IIRC, BioWare once revealed that something crazy like 70% of all players played the default male Shepard as the soldier class (AKA the one without fun powers) in Mass Effect. It's baffling.

I doubt I'll be taking advantage of the name-speaking, either. I tend to name my video game characters really dumb stuff that's only amusing to me.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

J-Spot posted:

the mr handy voice actor is legit good though

Walrus Pete posted:

I'm with you. The worst part is that so many people do it, though. IIRC, BioWare once revealed that something crazy like 70% of all players played the default male Shepard as the soldier class (AKA the one without fun powers) in Mass Effect. It's baffling.

it's hardly baffling - most people are dumb babies that will take the path of absolutely least resistance, and the rest are dumb babies who sperg out over tiny details. there is no middleground.

ToxicAcne posted:

In all honesty all the rage in this thread is way more entertaining than the disgusting circle jerk over Todd Howard at r/fallout.

tbf it's not hard to be better than reddit

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 16, 2015

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Wolfsheim posted:

Actually the previous games were about saving and trying to return to your home? The only one where that isn't true is New Vegas.

Also worth noting that you were a straight white person in the first two games no matter what you chose. Well, I guess a female Chosen One could still hit up a couple of the brothels and the male Chosen One could be gay for pay but I wouldn't exactly call that progressive.

Straight, maybe, perhaps? I don't remember any sexual actualization from any of the games other than prostitution being a thing. As for white, I played both New Vegas and FO3 as a black dude. Mostly because whatever face creation betheseda uses make any non-black person look like a mutant, but also because why the hell not. Unless you mean as a basic, default character, then yes, white dude.

Neither new Vegas or FO3 dealt with saving and returning home as the main thrust. FO3 was mainly about finding your pops and consequently, a new home. New Vegas was more of a revenge story.

Walrus Pete posted:

I doubt I'll be taking advantage of the name-speaking, either. I tend to name my video game characters really dumb stuff that's only amusing to me.

I did this only because Soldier fit the story best (in my opinion), and all the faces that you could create never looked quite right to me and the default male shepherd face looked the best and had more character. To be honest, i never create magic users or rogues to be my "mains", either. I like straight bashing people's faces in, no tricks.

Darth Ballz fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 16, 2015

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Generic Monk posted:

the mr handy voice actor is legit good though

Yeah it's not necessarily a lack of quality that bugs me about Bethesda's VO (though that can be a problem here and there), it's lack of variety. Hearing the same person voice many, many characters gets really grating.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Walrus Pete posted:

. IIRC, BioWare once revealed that something crazy like 70% of all players played the default male Shepard as the soldier class (AKA the one without fun powers) in Mass Effect. It's baffling.

I did this, I am the 70%.

The default shephard looked way better than the abominations I conjured up and I had no idea what the other classes did but I did know that the soldier class got big guns and armor and I like those...

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

For real though the whole backstory thing isn't as bad as some of you are making out.

Fallout 1: You were born in a Vault, you are generally considered by the game to have been on good terms with most of the other vault people. You can choose from more detailed backstories or go with the barebones one.
Fallout 2: You are from a tribal village descended from the Fallout 1 hero. Your mother, cousin and nephew are all characters in the game. Your mother is even voiced and sets you off on the main quest! Again, you are considered to be an upstanding member of this community.
Fallout 3: You are from a vault.. or are you? Dad lives in the vault with you, you know all the vault citizens pretty well and get along with most of them.
New Vegas: You are a courier, you maybe caused a small town to start up based on your delivery route.
Fallout 4: You are a family man or woman who lives in a small town outside a vault. Your family members are characters.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Zzulu posted:

I did this, I am the 70%.

The default shephard looked way better than the abominations I conjured up and I had no idea what the other classes did but I did know that the soldier class got big guns and armor and I like those...

If you make a not-fem-shep and don't make him too old for this poo poo I'm at a loss.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like how some totally optional base building that is a lift of a super popular mod for F3 and NV plus some cool wiring mechanics = minecraft stuff.

:qq:

I also like how obvious mock ups for a presentation trailer are being treated as canon information. Guys the 'adds strength' thing for every paint is probably not making it into the final cut.

Oh no they didn't mention perks or skills therefore they are not in the game at all. What is this whacko logic where people assume all kinds of things from essentially meaningless info? Just wait a few months and play a fun game goddamn. Case in point the post 2 posts below this one.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 16, 2015

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

ToxicAcne posted:

lol you weren't kidding

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

computer parts posted:

Supposedly they didn't include Perks in this build to avoid spoiling them. Skills are going to be rolled in with Perks though (think like Skyrim's skill thing).

In the MS demo (possibly the first one as well, but definitely in the MS demo) when he's looking at the Pip-Boy there's an on-screen prompt for "Press Y to view Perk tree" so it's probably going to be a re-skin of the constellation setup in Skyrim. ...Although that's potentially a good sign for the inclusion of skills, sort of. If they lift the progression mechanic for the DLC constellations and just apply it across the board to every Perk tree that could work out OK. So each tree would have some sort of action that contributed to getting points to spend on that tree, like shooting people with energy weapons or sneaking by hostiles or basically everything that gets you a skill bump in Skyrim, and apparel or meds would either be straight stat mods or "+5% effectiveness to all Charisma perks" or the like. Which is fine except for the bit where it all but entirely decouples ability progression from leveling and make you work for character advancement actively instead of just letting you plan for it. Some people's idea of fun, I guess.

Another possibility that's much more Elder Scrolls-y than Fallout-y is that you can see the whole perk web from the start and you define which three points on it you start at through character creation, then buy your way out from them in the direction of your choice by completing the necessary tasks. So if you've got Medicine Man which is adjacent to Cannibalism and you want to get Cannibalism you need to complete the "eat the corpses of named NPCs (0/10)" quest. Which is fine, but it'll suck if that's the only way to advance.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Deakul posted:

Fallout 4 is now a linear cinematic FPS set in the 80's.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Wearing this in New Vegas increases your speech skill by 10 and your Luck by 1.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

You have to be pretty lucky to find pajamas like that in post-apocalyptic wasteland!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
When I wear leopard print PJs grocery shopping people respond really well so idk seems accurate to me. The deli dude even gave me some free stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pwnstar posted:

For real though the whole backstory thing isn't as bad as some of you are making out.

Fallout 1: You were born in a Vault, you are generally considered by the game to have been on good terms with most of the other vault people. You can choose from more detailed backstories or go with the barebones one.
Fallout 2: You are from a tribal village descended from the Fallout 1 hero. Your mother, cousin and nephew are all characters in the game. Your mother is even voiced and sets you off on the main quest! Again, you are considered to be an upstanding member of this community.
Fallout 3: You are from a vault.. or are you? Dad lives in the vault with you, you know all the vault citizens pretty well and get along with most of them.
New Vegas: You are a courier, you maybe caused a small town to start up based on your delivery route.
Fallout 4: You are a family man or woman who lives in a small town outside a vault. Your family members are characters.

Yeah, it seems like a lot of the "purists" have forgotten exactly what the base of the game is like. New Vegas is sort of the "true sequel" to Fallout 2, but its sheer amount of choice and the bare-bones backstory of the Courier is an outlier in the Fallout series.

• Locked thread