Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

BattleMaster posted:

Who are these people who so desperately wanted a new Shenmue game?

People who played and enjoyed the first two games and have been wanting more for years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
What was the appeal of the games? Never played them.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dreylad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8j2B5MViwI

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dreylad posted:

They were incredibly, stupidly ambitious and tried to simulate all sort of real world interactions that games never did back then. It was pseudo-open world, you could do all sorts of side activities like go to the arcade, go to your part time job, or take care of a kitten and stuff, and the storyline was meant to be this massive, internationally spanning 6-part martial arts epic with choices and branching paths. It looked incredible at the time, and there was so much attention to detail everywhere, stuff like a fully furnished house with working drawers and closets and lights and chairs and stuff, this was two years before GTA 3 came out, it was pretty mind-blowing at the time.

Of course it's mainly a weird historical curiosity these days, but there still isn't anything quite like it. The closest modern comparison is probably the Yakuza games, but they're much more RPG-like than Shenmue, which never felt bound to any genre or even any type of normal gameplay conventions.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sue posted:

Shenmue was the only game to ever have properly designed QTEs.
It wasn't like "fail to hit button, game over, try again from the beginning" like modern Resident Evil or someting, it had branching cutscenes depending on how well you reacted, and you needed to miss on a lot of QTEs to have to retry.

so just like heavy rain

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

BattleMaster posted:

Just people who liked an old video game. It's not a mystery or anything. FWIW the game has always done suprisingly well in favorite game and those "what game do you want to see again/remade" polls.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
You can also talk to just about every single NPC and ask for directions, no matter where you are in the towns. It's not perfect but I've never seen any other game do anything like it. Instead you get a marker and GPS directions.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Davincie posted:

so just like heavy rain

Yeah but unlike heavy rain it attempted to have gameplay

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Dreylad posted:

At the time there wasn't really anything like it. For me a lot of it was the real world setting (especially once it switched to China) and story, especially in the second one. I only like the first in terms of how ambitious it was, as a game it wasn't anything special. The second I really liked though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Gravy Jones posted:

Just people who liked an old video game. It's not a mystery or anything. FWIW the game has always done suprisingly well in favorite game and those "what game do you want to see again/remade" polls.

I've always just known it for 15 years as a weird game that I only ever heard of when people were making fun of it. Therefore it's really weird for me to see people clamoring for a new one, especially when the funding looks like it could easily beat crowdfunding records.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
If people didn't actually like it I don't think they would make fun of it for all these years. At least I hope so.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Renoistic posted:

If people didn't actually like it I don't think they would make fun of it for all these years. At least I hope so.

Well people still make fun of Daikatana and it's just about as old. Pretty sure no one actually likes it either.

Edit: Not that I'm saying that a derpy game filled with busywork, cutscenes, and searching for sailors is anywhere near Daikatana's level of badness

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Renoistic posted:

Yeah I think most people who played those games agree that they don't hold up and are weird and crappy in all sorts of ways, but they're still super endearing and they're totally unforgettable if you played them at the time.

For me, personally, I just want to see what the hell a new Shenmue game even is, it's going to be such a surreal experience.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah I think most people who played those games agree that they don't hold up and are weird and crappy in all sorts of ways, but they're still super endearing and they're totally unforgettable if you played them at the time.

That's actually it for me, I don't want anyone to think that I have any sort of dislike for it. It's just easily the weirdest game series I've seen get revived via crowdfunding, and I was not expecting so much money to go its way so fast.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

At the time, Shenmue just represented pure unbridled potential and a total lack of boundaries. Imagine a game coming out in 2015 that is literally like nothing you have ever seen or played before. It's almost impossible to even conceptualize that idea if you've played video games for so long, but Shenmue loving did it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm looking forward to the story going completely off the rails at the end.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I'm looking forward to getting sweaty!!!

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

At the time, Shenmue just represented pure unbridled potential and a total lack of boundaries. Imagine a game coming out in 2015 that is literally like nothing you have ever seen or played before. It's almost impossible to even conceptualize that idea if you've played video games for so long, but Shenmue loving did it.

Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Shenmue was a success in simulating how awesome having a part time job actually is for a dumb kid fresh out of school that never had a job before because all of the sudden you get to have a lot of money for doing mundane tasks and you don't rely on your stupidly small allowance anymore.

Stick that allowance up your bum! I'm Living the good life with my fork lifts, ball machines and darts! I have more money than I can spend!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

BattleMaster posted:

I was willing to pay $29 just to sate my morbid curiosity. I bet there are loads of suckers like me.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Needs to add a stretch goal were Ryo works as a forklift operator helping ship other Kickstarters, at which point KS collapses up into its own rear end in a top hat with a hideous gurgling mumble.
seriously, $500 if you want to ensure you get a set of capsule toys, gross

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I dunno, there have been capsule toy collections where that's a small amount to pay to finish it, so. :v:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kinda funny how Iga ran the slickest, most PRiest campaign ever to get his $5.5M and then a week later Shenmue is topping it with one which looks like it was done by a first time hobbyist with a $10,000 goal; it's nearly a day on and they haven't even made an update acknowledging their insane success or pushing their stretch goals

Anyways, it's not something I'm interested in but it's good to see another cult fandom getting some closure to their thing :3:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
To be fair I'm not sure they expected to make the 2 millions in a few hours.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, the people running his campaign are some tiny no-name agency of under-30s whose previous work is all fairly low-key KS consultancy; I think they got the gig because they're one of the few JP agencies out there that's really proactive about crowdfunding, but I had to look into them just to see if they weren't Yu Suzuki's kids or something because I'd never heard of them before. You'd think he'd know people with a little more clout, but whatever, it's not like he needs it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

To be fair I'm not sure they expected to make the 2 millions in a few hours.

Well yeah but that didn't stop Obsidian or InExile or Larian or whoever making 'holy loving poo poo you guys are amazing!!!' posts a few hours on and plotting out the future. I'm not even complaining, it's just funny how they got their campaign advertised at loving e3 and then instantly broke the bank but the actual campaign seems like it's being done by a couple of people in their spare time

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Needs to add a stretch goal were Ryo works as a forklift operator helping ship other Kickstarters, at which point KS collapses up into its own rear end in a top hat with a hideous gurgling mumble.

Money is gross and video games are dumb, it's a great time to be alive and enjoying both.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Well he's in touch with some of Sony's people evidently.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, the people running his campaign are some tiny no-name agency of under-30s whose previous work is all fairly low-key KS consultancy; I think they got the gig because they're one of the few JP agencies out there that's really proactive about crowdfunding, but I had to look into them just to see if they weren't Yu Suzuki's kids or something because I'd never heard of them before. You'd think he'd know people with a little more clout, but whatever, it's not like he needs it.

Ah well that makes sense. Well as you say it seems like E3 was all it needed anyway, though would have been interesting to see how far it could run with Iga's team, those guys were on it

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Kinda funny how Iga ran the slickest, most PRiest campaign ever to get his $5.5M and then a week later Shenmue is topping it with one which looks like it was done by a first time hobbyist with a $10,000 goal; it's nearly a day on and they haven't even made an update acknowledging their insane success or pushing their stretch goals

Anyways, it's not something I'm interested in but it's good to see another cult fandom getting some closure to their thing :3:

getting plugged by e3 is the only reason for their success.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I pledged $29, shenmue owned

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

A Steampunk Gent posted:

If the kickstarter team is running on Japan time I'd assume we won't hear anything until they wake up

edit: just got the email that they hit their funding goal. Guess they couldn't sleep

InsanityIsCrazy fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 16, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CottonWolf posted:

I was willing to pay $29 just to sate my morbid curiosity. I bet there are loads of suckers like me.

Same here. I mean the price is really reasonable, even if the game turns out to be meh. I was expecting a far higher price even for a digital version.

Edit: I'm also surprised how low rent the campaign is compared to that Castlevania game. I mean I had no interest in it (and still don't), but drat if that was a fantastic pr setup and one worthy of study and emulation.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 16, 2015

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

gfanikf posted:

Edit: I'm also surprised how low rent the campaign is compared to that Castlevania game. I mean I had no interest in it (and still don't), but drat if that was a fantastic pr setup and one worthy of study and emulation.

Maybe they're sticking with the 80s aesthetic of the games and trying to look like a ragtag bunch of nerds with a vision

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Maybe they're sticking with the 80s aesthetic of the games and trying to look like a ragtag bunch of nerds with a vision

I'd be hoping for more Engrish then.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

DolphinCop posted:

getting plugged by e3 is the only reason for their success.

I think you're underestimating the voracity of Shenmue's minuscule but long-suffering fanbase.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

AxeManiac posted:

Money is gross and video games are dumb, it's a great time to be alive and enjoying both.

I loved Shenmue, but if I can't play all three games on the original Dreamcast then the original promise has been broken, no sale. :colbert:

Seriously, though, I'm glad to see it funded, hopefully it'll entertain as either a success or a disaster. I'd rather have the former but I'll settle for the latter.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I just hope there is another "sailor" hunt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQa3yGXzGls

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This may not be the Konami E3 2010 conference, but man these guys are excited for Shenmue 3.

https://youtu.be/aLRWL0s0l10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Great Rumbler posted:

I think you're underestimating the voracity of Shenmue's minuscule but long-suffering fanbase.

I hope this doesn't set some nostalgia torture trend: release successful game (successful is relative here), put off sequel for ten years, allow fanbase to rot away in the dark...

abu ghraib for gamers