Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The truly skilled player plays as few cards as possible to secure the win, showing his undisputed superiority and making the opponent regret taking the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm really disappointed by Delayed Recovery. I didn't realize it only took into account potion Toxicity, not Toxicity from decoctions. I mean, that's probably a good thing, because maintaining a Toxicity over 70% is trivial with decoctions, but it makes the skill entirely useless for me because, well, I like to use decoctions.

At least it freed up some points for me to take Efficiency and Cluster Bombs sooner. Now to rush that Practicum in Advanced Alchemy quest so I can get superior bombs and go full-on mad bomber.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bernard Tulle in the tournament quest is the only Gwent player in the game who actually plays the game with any sort of intelligence. He's still crazy beatable, naturally, but if you get a bad initial draw, you're probably gonna be up the creek.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Aurain posted:

Bernard Tulle in the tournament quest is the only Gwent player in the game who actually plays the game with any sort of intelligence. He's still crazy beatable, naturally, but if you get a bad initial draw, you're probably gonna be up the creek.

There's one shopkeeper in Novigrad, that I was sure was cheating. He probably wasn't, but I beat him only after I had pretty much every spy and hero card available. I've found him as hard as first game in the tournament.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm missing cards and I don't know who to play for them. I'm near the end game (Final Preparations). I've beaten the Gwent quests, I did High Stakes, I took the cards on Zoltan's quests. I've played every shopkeeper around as far as I know. I guess I'm going to have to go down the list on gwentcards.com and try re-playing everyone who gives random cards. Everyone I play right now gives me materials or nothing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Earwicker posted:

so I am new to this series and have been mostly enjoying the game but what is up with the dude's voice? it's the exact same "growled whisper" used by the dudes in Deus Ex and in the Batman movies and its very silly and very distracting.

I really don't understand why people make games/movies with people who talk like this or what it is supposed to signify but in the case of this game it definitely takes away from what would otherwise be cool atmosphere
In all honesty you're the first person I've seen annoyed by Geralt's voice. Maybe there are more people who just don't post about it but it's a criticizm that doesn't really come up.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Levantine posted:

I'm missing cards and I don't know who to play for them. I'm near the end game (Final Preparations). I've beaten the Gwent quests, I did High Stakes, I took the cards on Zoltan's quests. I've played every shopkeeper around as far as I know. I guess I'm going to have to go down the list on gwentcards.com and try re-playing everyone who gives random cards. Everyone I play right now gives me materials or nothing.

You probably missed some at a vendor then and have all the random cards. Check innkeeps and there's a Person in Distress merchant you need to free who will return to Claywich Village in the middle of Velen. I missed him and a lot of people seem to, he sells a copy of the 10-strength Nilf archer and healer archer and a Crinfrid Dragon Reaver.

Innkeeps have most of the cards for sale, plus a couple random merchants in central Velen.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Palpek posted:

In all honesty you're the first person I've seen annoyed by Geralt's voice. Maybe there are more people who just don't post about it but it's a criticizm that doesn't really come up.
It is a pretty cliched gruff badass voice, which is presumably what the developers specified, and it did make me roll my eyes when I first heard it. It's to the actor's credit that he is able to move beyond that when the script allows. See: (midgame spoilers) the drinking session at Kaer Morhen, and when he has a little moment of stage fright before the play.

Rycalawre
Nov 6, 2009
Any hints for fighting poo poo tons of wraiths at once on death march? Doing Family Matters, all constantly teleporting around me from different directions and stunlocking me, I absolutely cannot do it at all.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Pellisworth posted:

You probably missed some at a vendor then and have all the random cards. Check innkeeps and there's a Person in Distress merchant you need to free who will return to Claywich Village in the middle of Velen. I missed him and a lot of people seem to, he sells a copy of the 10-strength Nilf archer and healer archer and a Crinfrid Dragon Reaver.

Innkeeps have most of the cards for sale, plus a couple random merchants in central Velen.

I'll check Claywich then, thanks. I thought I had been pretty diligent in picking up cards from vendors but I clearly missed something! I just want that quest out of my log.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I cant get enough of dropping a Frost card then a Villentretenmerth (spelling?) and lighting up like 10 cards. My Card Advantage Boner goes crazy.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Rycalawre posted:

Any hints for fighting poo poo tons of wraiths at once on death march? Doing Family Matters, all constantly teleporting around me from different directions and stunlocking me, I absolutely cannot do it at all.
Keep an Yrden circle down at all times, dance around that. Moon Dust bombs if you've got them, Tawny Owl and Thunderbolt potions for stamina regeneration and sword damage, so you can get individual ones down faster and keep both Yrden and Quen active whenever possible.

When a wraith teleports, either dodge twice or roll. The hit detection on that little post-teleport combo they have is way bigger than it would appear to the eye. Follow up with as many Fast Attacks as you can fit in, don't bother with Strong Attacks. Good luck.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Snuffman posted:

Oh! Horse Races question:

I did all the races around the Crow's Perch and got all that nice horse equipment.

I also did that one race against the Novigrad General while hunting for Dandelion at the manor and got that amazing saddle.

Are there any other races? There's a herald in a square in Novigrad that's announcing a race somewhere and he has an exclaimation point on him on the map, but I can't talk to him for some reason.

IIRC there's flyers on the square by the announcer (Or was it on the black board? Can't remember.) for another 3-race circuit at the Vegelbud estate. There's also 3 races in Skellige and then a final one in Novigrad.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Levantine posted:

I'll check Claywich then, thanks. I thought I had been pretty diligent in picking up cards from vendors but I clearly missed something! I just want that quest out of my log.

There is literally nothing in that village of interest other than a grindstone and that merchant, who is only there after you free him from bandits on a nearby island. Very likely you missed him

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

CJacobs posted:

I wouldn't say The Witcher is an intelligent commentary on the state of fantasy novels... it's just a series of fantasy novels. Particularly good ones, though.

Are they really? Being that I'm so interested in the background fluff of the game universe now, I'd consider diving into... *gulp* genre fiction... so I can learn more about the white frost, wild hunt etc. Unless there are some neat Lexicanum like wiki sites that delve into witcher lore.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Are they really? Being that I'm so interested in the background fluff of the game universe now, I'd consider diving into... *gulp* genre fiction... so I can learn more about the white frost, wild hunt etc. Unless there are some neat Lexicanum like wiki sites that delve into witcher lore.

I'm reading 'blood of elves' atm and it's pretty dece

Rycalawre
Nov 6, 2009

Scandalous posted:

Keep an Yrden circle down at all times, dance around that. Moon Dust bombs if you've got them, Tawny Owl and Thunderbolt potions for stamina regeneration and sword damage, so you can get individual ones down faster and keep both Yrden and Quen active whenever possible.

When a wraith teleports, either dodge twice or roll. The hit detection on that little post-teleport combo they have is way bigger than it would appear to the eye. Follow up with as many Fast Attacks as you can fit in, don't bother with Strong Attacks. Good luck.

Thats what Ive been doing, with the exception of Moon Dust which I dont have. Best Ive managed on the second fight is killing 1 of the 5 wraiths.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Azazell0 posted:

I was exploring happily in Skellige and suddenly ran across a level 48 Archgriffin. (I'm level 35.) It whooped my rear end pretty handily, when all of a sudden my tactics didn't seem to work poo poo anymore. The reward will probably be another relic sword a few points below or above my mastercraft griffin sword. (although I did find zerrikanian saddle bags just by exploring ?'s in Skellige)

i know exactly where youre talking about. that son bitch has to be the hardest fight in the game

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Rycalawre posted:

Thats what Ive been doing, with the exception of Moon Dust which I dont have. Best Ive managed on the second fight is killing 1 of the 5 wraiths.
It seems you need to level up a little, using Yrden, oils and potions correctly should do the trick so maybe you're over your head when it comes to character level/equipment.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
e: gently caress sorry

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

The first two are short stories about Geralt and good reads. After that it switches to a political intrigue serial focusing mainly on Ciri.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Rycalawre posted:

Yeah it's a fuckin bitch on death march. All I can suggest is you get some better equipment, a level or two, and try again.

Edit: Also

Scandalous fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 16, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like how when I mentioned what I did at the end of the Get Junior quest to Zoltan (I killed that mofo) he's all woah bro taking it to extremes and Geralt kind of just nods like yeah whatever don't gently caress with Ciri.

I feel like if Geralt said yeah bro when I got there he was hanging out with the corpses of the 5-6 women he had just been torture killing Zoltan would have understood.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Szurumbur posted:

And I didn't really understand how the "High Stakes" Gwent matches' difficulty is rather inverse? The first match was the toughest, the second a bit easier, the third difficulty is mostly in the fist fight after the end and the fourth was pathetically easy. Also I loathe how there doesn't seem to be actually unique cards - even the Hero cards I already have seem to exist in the CPU's decks, and the Baron gave me a Djikstra card, which I had first seen used be some random merchant. It's a bummer and takes a bit out of the enjoyment of completing the strongest deck in the whole world.

Sasha was the only one who really gave me a fight, in the final round she kept drawing more cards after I ran out and was forced to pass but my lead was large enough that I was able to hold on. I steamrolled all of the other players.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Gwent is hard if your initial draw is not great. I have matches where I draw no spies/decoys and it's like "welp". Other matches I have all of them out and I end up playing every single card in my deck by the end. I thought the first match in High Stakes was the hardest as well, they seemed to get easier as I won.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The first two were pretty rough for me because my opponents were heavy on spies, decoys, and medics both games. Thankfully I am also heavy on those and out-lasted them. My biggest challenge in that tournament was the mandatory fistfight vs a fist-firing machinegun that was like 8 levels higher than me.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Bort Bortles posted:

The first two were pretty rough for me because my opponents were heavy on spies, decoys, and medics both games. Thankfully I am also heavy on those and out-lasted them. My biggest challenge in that tournament was the mandatory fistfight vs a fist-firing machinegun that was like 8 levels higher than me.

I found the best thing to do against those kinds of opponents is just wait until you get a really good disrupt in, the kind that staggers them, and do a big punch plus maybe a small jab if you think you have the time. Then block and wait for the next disrupt opportunity. It takes patience, but you win every time.

This guy here put up a big fight but I landed him in the end!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
For some reason my Geralt has +250% Sign Intensity completely naked and with no mutagens or abilities equipped. Dunno if that's a display bug or I'm somehow actually getting those stats, with my gear on I'm up over 400% displayed Sign Intensity :lol:

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

For some reason my Geralt has +250% Sign Intensity completely naked and with no mutagens or abilities equipped. Dunno if that's a display bug or I'm somehow actually getting those stats, with my gear on I'm up over 400% displayed Sign Intensity :lol:
I've read that this can be a weird buggy side-effect of using Dimeritium Bombs, though it's claimed to be fixed. Otherwise, I dunno.

There are threads about it on the CD Projekt forums too, but they're down for scheduled maintenance at the moment.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pot Of Shoe posted:

I found the best thing to do against those kinds of opponents is just wait until you get a really good disrupt in, the kind that staggers them, and do a big punch plus maybe a small jab if you think you have the time. Then block and wait for the next disrupt opportunity. It takes patience, but you win every time.

Yeah some guys posted some good advice and I got by it. Of course I ended up doing a bunch of quests that got me a ton of experience right after that and I am up to level 26 now.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Levantine posted:

Gwent is hard if your initial draw is not great. I have matches where I draw no spies/decoys and it's like "welp". Other matches I have all of them out and I end up playing every single card in my deck by the end. I thought the first match in High Stakes was the hardest as well, they seemed to get easier as I won.

That's why you play Nilfgaard, use those healers to revive the spies the opponent used and hopefully draw some spies yourself.
If you play Nilfgaard and you draw neither medics nor decoys nor spies, there's some black magic at play.
Also, RE: fistfights, it really helped me to challenge those dudes at the Kaer Trolde feast over and over (where you can win Hjalmar's sword). Once you learn to anticipate and parry those quick jabs, you're set (for most opponents anyway).

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 16, 2015

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
One of my favourite stupid Gwent tricks is playing the 9-point nilf spy, using the scorch dragon to force a discard, decoying the dragon back, then recovering the spy from the opponent's discard.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I found that with fistfights if you keep the opponent at range he will always do a long lunge that's really easy to parry and then just lay into him. Repeat.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

GrossMurpel posted:

Also, RE: fistfights, it really helped me to challenge those dudes at the Kaer Trolde feast over and over (where you can win Hjalmar's sword). Once you learn to anticipate and parry those quick jabs, you're set (for most opponents anyway).

Those fights were weird for me because they'd always start with Geralt staring off to the side and getting blindsided.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Pot Of Shoe posted:

The typical strategy in fist fighting involves getting enough distance so the enemy will often go for a windup punch which you can easily sidestep and punish. However this won't always work since different enemies have different recoveries and stamina regen. And in some matches, the ring gets smaller and smaller, giving you little room to breathe.
If you want to cheese a fight, you can corner an opponent and constantly spam strong attacks (it generally prevents any counter attacks), and you'll deal stamina damage at a faster rate than they can regen (however some have insane stamina regeneration).

But the reliable method is go for the counterattacks (strong attacks are much easier to counter). You get a much bigger margin of error in counter attack if you HOLD down the parry button during their attack animation (or when their health bar glows red). Basically you don't need to tap parry to counter.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

moot the hopple posted:

Those fights were weird for me because they'd always start with Geralt staring off to the side and getting blindsided.

Oh yeah that's a good point, always hammer space + A (or whatever the controller equivalent for dodging sideways is) as soon as the fight starts. I don't know if it's possible to get an unavoidable hit right at the start but I've always been able to dodge it and my load times are poo poo.

Dongattack posted:

I found that with fistfights if you keep the opponent at range he will always do a long lunge that's really easy to parry and then just lay into him. Repeat.

Meh, I've had it happen quite often that the opponent would simply close the distance and then do that quick jab.
Or punch me right in the face while I was trying to dodge back after parrying and attacking him.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Here's the fistfighting method that carried me though the entire game:

Step back and keep your distance
Wait until enemy steps forward (This means they're going in for an attack)
Pound them with two quick attacks
Rince and repeat.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Here's the fistfighting method that carried me though the entire game:

Step back and keep your distance
Wait until enemy steps forward (This means they're going in for an attack)
Pound them with two quick attacks
Rince and repeat.

I use this as well. It has served me well.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I've been avoiding the fistfighting quests because :effort: but maybe I'll give 'em a go if there are ways to make it less tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
sorry the correct answer to fistfighting challenges is Igni