Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
NodeJS has a bad reputation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Knyteguy posted:

I'm also thinking of recreating a project I've done here at work and starting a business selling it and doing contract work to support it. Every single company I've interviewed with this past month or so was more interested in that than anything else I've done (even taking notes from what I told them for their own implementations), so there's a market. That consulting company I was going to work for is going to do the exact same thing, and I've got the jump on them since I've actually made a version and it's in production.

You probably want to double check you're not infringing on any IP regulations doing this. I'm not sure what the law says about recreating something in your personal time that you originally came up with while working for someone else (and hence giving them the IP ownership), but that sounds like it could get real dicey real quick.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Cicero posted:

NodeJS has a bad reputation?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701595

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Rudager posted:

You probably want to double check you're not infringing on any IP regulations doing this. I'm not sure what the law says about recreating something in your personal time that you originally came up with while working for someone else (and hence giving them the IP ownership), but that sounds like it could get real dicey real quick.

If your company has any sort of legal team, there's definitely a bit in your contract that says whatever cool stuff you come up with on their time, or while using their machines, or sometimes if it's even tangentially related to their core business belongs to them.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

I'm totally shocked that you and your wife have local job opportunities if you spend a little time looking for them. Nobody in this thread said that was possible.

:shobon:

Regarding IP: OK I hadn't thought of that. It's more of a concept than something... specific, but I'll do some research. Thanks for the heads up on that.

NodeJS: I liked working in NodeJS. I'll need to reread the thread SWSP brought up though, as I forget the specifics of why people don't like it. Callbacks can be tough but eh. I'll find out more about the company.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Knyteguy posted:

:shobon:

Regarding IP: OK I hadn't thought of that. It's more of a concept than something... specific, but I'll do some research. Thanks for the heads up on that.

NodeJS: I liked working in NodeJS. I'll need to reread the thread SWSP brought up though, as I forget the specifics of why people don't like it. Callbacks can be tough but eh. I'll find out more about the company.

I wouldn't ding a job opportunity just because the language they choose to use has people on the internet who don't particularly like it. If you personally didn't like the language or didn't like working with it, that would be one thing as you wouldn't enjoy the job. I'm pretty sure you could find negative things about every language, and I don't think working with a "bad reputation" language would matter all that much for future opportunities.

Also, count me as one who didn't know NodeJS had a "bad reputation", I know plenty of people who use it and it works well for their needs.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

ObsidianBeast posted:

I wouldn't ding a job opportunity just because the language they choose to use has people on the internet who don't particularly like it. If you personally didn't like the language or didn't like working with it, that would be one thing as you wouldn't enjoy the job. I'm pretty sure you could find negative things about every language, and I don't think working with a "bad reputation" language would matter all that much for future opportunities.

Also, count me as one who didn't know NodeJS had a "bad reputation", I know plenty of people who use it and it works well for their needs.

Huh well yeah I don't mean I wouldn't work with NodeJS just because people don't like it, it's their valid complaints. I guess frankly it doesn't make a big difference for me. I think most of the complaints have to do with NPM and some of the nitty-gritty details of the platform

For a little career backstory for anyone who cares I actually got my current job as a C# dev when I was going for NodeJS. The NodeJS website I made was my full time thing for months. My goal was to either get the website off the ground, or use it to get myself into a job. We were living off $19,000/yr ffs. Anyway I got the job so the project was abandoned. It's still up and... some of it works! http://sheltered-shelf-8863.herokuapp.com/ e: actually it broke heh. The code is 2 years old and running on old buggy modules. Oh well.

Anyway I have an initial interview on Monday with the company's talent acquisition guy (internal recruiter), and apparently a few of them have looked over my code already so who knows. I'm not getting my hopes up on anything anymore interviews even when they go well seem like a total coin toss.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 12, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Any reason why I should consider that Virginia job (2 hours from DC)? They want to have a third and final interview tomorrow before making an offer. I'd prefer purely looking at it from a financial standpoint, because I think the rest of it has been covered. The numbers we've been talking since the initial phone interview with them was $90k, plus there's a bonus (4%+ performance based), etc etc. Lower CoL than now.

I'm thinking no but I thought I'd run it by you guys first.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Even though it's 2 hours from DC (assuming not rush hour times), you may be surprised at some of the CoL. My friends lived in Leesburg (about 1.5hr to DC with traffic) for a while, and daycare for one kid was going to be like $2k/mo or some ridiculous poo poo. I think I remember you saying this was more rural VA, though so who knows.

Do you WANT to move to VA for a modest/no raise (I only say modest because it's unlikely that your wife would find work right away)? Can you try and pick up some freelance work to supplement your income now and get better experience to eventually leapfrog into a big boy developer position in a couple of years?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

For all the job shopping out of state, why not Texas? You should already be used to the heat, CoL is fairly low, and the people are quite friendly. Try Austin or Houston. San Antonio would have a similar climate to Reno, and I believe rackspace is hiring like mad these days :) Dallas is also a very nice city.

My order for cities that are nice, in my opinion are: 1: Austin, 2: San Antonio, 3: Dallas, 4: This shithole (Houston) It's a muggy awful swamp.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

dreesemonkey posted:

Even though it's 2 hours from DC (assuming not rush hour times), you may be surprised at some of the CoL. My friends lived in Leesburg (about 1.5hr to DC with traffic) for a while, and daycare for one kid was going to be like $2k/mo or some ridiculous poo poo. I think I remember you saying this was more rural VA, though so who knows.

Do you WANT to move to VA for a modest/no raise (I only say modest because it's unlikely that your wife would find work right away)? Can you try and pick up some freelance work to supplement your income now and get better experience to eventually leapfrog into a big boy developer position in a couple of years?

I mean it'd be neat to move I guess. I think if we didn't have a baby it'd be 100% yes "screw it let's adventure somewhere while maintaining our financial security". But we do have a baby. I can't really think of a good reason to move there. I'd like to do a through hike of the Appalachian Trail before I die, but I don't think living there will really help that, since that's more a matter of time.

I like your plan here. I want my career path to look one of two ways: 1) Start a business, or 2) Leverage my skills into a big tech company (Amazon, Google, Facebook, Apple, Microsoft, Craigslist, etc etc). Freelancing could potentially fit into both of those.

BloodBag posted:

For all the job shopping out of state, why not Texas? You should already be used to the heat, CoL is fairly low, and the people are quite friendly. Try Austin or Houston. San Antonio would have a similar climate to Reno, and I believe rackspace is hiring like mad these days :) Dallas is also a very nice city.

My order for cities that are nice, in my opinion are: 1: Austin, 2: San Antonio, 3: Dallas, 4: This shithole (Houston) It's a muggy awful swamp.

I originally started the out of state job hunt in Texas. It was Dallas specifically, but that's just because that's where the job was.

I think I'd really like Austin from what I've heard and seen. I had an interview some years back at HostGator based out of there.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but I think I'm done with any out of state job hunt for the time being. Maybe I can revisit that in 3-6 months. I'll still continue looking locally and remotely.

My career paths mentioned above are drastically different with how I'll spend my time on them, so I need to figure out which I want to go after for the next 5 years, and that's where I'll spend my extracurricular hours after work. Choosing one will only help the other also, so I'm not afraid of making the choice.

I think this would be a good point for me and my wife to revisit all of our goals and aspirations again. Thanks for the input guys.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 16, 2015

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
Quite a while ago it seemed that going to work directly for the larger company that your boss farms you out to was an option. What happened to that?

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
And round and round we go...

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
How did your wife's interview go?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Quite a while ago it seemed that going to work directly for the larger company that your boss farms you out to was an option. What happened to that?

I've decided not to explore this option. I can guarantee that it won't lead to the pay I want, and it will come with more travel back and forth in Texas and that's pretty much a small taste of hell for me. The once a year that I have to do it now is bad enough.

RheaConfused posted:

How did your wife's interview go?

It turned out to be for a job selling Direct TV in Costco. Shiesty rear end company with that job posting. "Junior Marketing Associate" yeah right.

They said they have "10-12 hour days and you can't really take a lunch or any breaks because that'd mean missed customers." Bastards.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Knyteguy posted:

I've decided not to explore this option. I can guarantee that it won't lead to the pay I want, and it will come with more travel back and forth in Texas and that's pretty much a small taste of hell for me. The once a year that I have to do it now is bad enough.

It turned out to be for a job selling Direct TV in Costco. Shiesty rear end company with that job posting. "Junior Marketing Associate" yeah right.

They said they have "10-12 hour days and you can't really take a lunch or any breaks because that'd mean missed customers." Bastards.
Totally different than office work, but has she considered Costco warehouse work? Pay is good, benefits are good and it's a great company. And Costco Corp nearly only hires their warehouse workers.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

Totally different than office work, but has she considered Costco warehouse work? Pay is good, benefits are good and it's a great company. And Costco Corp nearly only hires their warehouse workers.

No, but I like that idea. I'll run it by her. We also have an Amazon distribution center here... but I don't know if she's cut out for that kind of work from what I've read.

She does has an interview tomorrow with a dentist's office (front desk) however. My mom has been doing that for about 15 years now so she'd have someone to talk to about it at least. It's a place that does dentures and old people work only, so I don't think it'd be as high stress as a normal dentist's office.

I've also encouraged her to put her resume into local law firms for paralegal work. She's been putting in some time doing that for local offices.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Turned down Virginia.* I would've done anything for a job that paid that well 2 years ago. :negative:. I'll have to create more opportunities for something that pays similarly in town.

F side of BFC: budget is going well. It'll be tight again, but not as tight as last time. Over on clothes, but god I needed clothes and I planned ahead to sacrifice elsewhere for them. I'm up from 1 pair of jeans to 1 pair of jeans and 3 pairs of shorts from Costco. :eng101:

e: * Well I said unless they let me work remotely.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 16, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you're in Reno, there's a lot of other warehousing that's probably a better option. I wouldn't work for an Amazon labor 3PL. Floor work is tough but you will be in good physical condition.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Knyteguy posted:

No, but I like that idea. I'll run it by her. We also have an Amazon distribution center here... but I don't know if she's cut out for that kind of work from what I've read.

Radiolab did an episode about working at one of those places. From the way they tell it, nobody should ever work there.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Antifreeze Head posted:

Radiolab did an episode about working at one of those places. From the way they tell it, nobody should ever work there.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/02/mac-mcclelland-free-online-shipping-warehouses-labor

If she is human she isn't cut out to work there.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Person not used to hard physical labor wusses out, news at 11. Some people would love this job.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

n8r posted:

Person not used to hard physical labor wusses out, news at 11. Some people would love this job.

I'm all for people putting in a hard days work, but Amazon decided at one point that it was more economical to keep paramedics parked nearby one of their warehouses where employees were suffering from heat stroke/exhaustion than it was to install air conditioners. That's well beyond someone who "wusses out."

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I worked in a Walgreens DC for 2 years as a temp worker and I can promise you its worse than you imagine if you've never done it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Antifreeze Head posted:

I'm all for people putting in a hard days work, but Amazon decided at one point that it was more economical to keep paramedics parked nearby one of their warehouses where employees were suffering from heat stroke/exhaustion than it was to install air conditioners. That's well beyond someone who "wusses out."

Amazon pisses me off in alot of ways these days but this apparently had to do with the owners of the warehouse. All the other amazon warehouses had ac. Amazon moved out the following year from that one. It was only one warehouse in PA.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Probably a budget breaker - someone kicked our garage in in the middle of the night last night. Unsure if it's a random act of violence yet, or not. I'm guessing it was a young teenage neighbor as they disrepect the neighborhood as a whole, leaving bags of fast food in the middle of the street in our 3 block neighborhood, and there's trash in front of our home. They're also directly across from us so maybe someone was pissed off at the world and we were convenient. Hard to say.

Will update as I have more info; cops are on their way for a police report, which I imagine our rental insurance and rental property management will want.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Your landlord should pay for the door, you don't own the house.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Isn't the main benefit of renting that poo poo like this isn't your problem?

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
When you rent you don't pay to have things fixed unless you personally own them. Is it safe to say you didn't install the garage door? Not your problem...

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Knyteguy posted:

Probably a budget breaker - someone kicked our garage in in the middle of the night last night. Unsure if it's a random act of violence yet, or not. I'm guessing it was a young teenage neighbor as they disrepect the neighborhood as a whole, leaving bags of fast food in the middle of the street in our 3 block neighborhood, and there's trash in front of our home. They're also directly across from us so maybe someone was pissed off at the world and we were convenient. Hard to say.

Will update as I have more info; cops are on their way for a police report, which I imagine our rental insurance and rental property management will want.

Did they take anything? I'm not sure why this would impact you as a renter.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Hm not sure everyone. I'll call the rental agency and find out more when they open. I'll go in with the assumption that they're paying for it.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yeah, under no circumstances are you to pay for that. It was an act of vandalism and not your responsibility. If someone set fire to the home, do you think you'd be required to pay for the damages? That's one reason they're insured.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Hm not sure everyone. I'll call the rental agency and find out more when they open. I'll go in with the assumption that they're paying for it.

Did you pay for the repairs to the plumbing at your last apartment? The one where you had a hole in the floor? How is this any different?

If YOU personally had caused the damage (ie backed into the garage) it should come out of your security deposit.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Yeah man, gently caress paying for that. Let the landlord sort that poo poo out.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Knyteguy posted:

So how long have you been repairing things for your landlords?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Since he bought that lawn aerator back on page whatever.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
That $200 in lawn equipment has cut our rent by $1,400 since we've lived here. That aerator was like $20.

Today I've filed the police report, notified the property management, managed to take care of the entire front yard (weeds, lawn, garden, tree, small trash), played some video games, and I'm on to finally getting the automatic sprinklers working (for a total cost of $5-$10 since my dog hosed it up). Unexpected days off without having to watch the baby are great for productivity :eng101:.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Hey everyone for the information of everyone who helped my wife with her resume she wanted to post the new one (her computer is a slow PoS so I'm doing it)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uenXvMU70R27hvp85eO5qSYes461IoG2WxsGeB4qhuY/edit?usp=sharing

She has a job lead through family (so nepotism) as a business analyst. She applied yesterday, the family has put in a note to the company, and they're going to go from there. She's also been dedicated to applying for jobs beyond that, mostly in office manager, administrative assistant, and legal secretary/paralegal jobs. Also whatever state/county/city/federal jobs she can find that she thinks she could like.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I got a job at the office my aunt worked at in a low level position I was otherwise qualified for, but it most certainly was her good word that got me in the door and on the payroll. I was able to spin the experience working there into a better job elsewhere in a few years. Call it what you'd like, but it's hard to cry nepotism when you're making $15/hr. That being said, without that job I wouldn't be doing what I do now, and I very much like what I do now.

Don't feel guilty about using personal connections to get into a better situation career-wise. It's part of the game, and if you aren't playing those cards when you have them, someone else surely will.

marchantia fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Don't poo poo on nepotism.

None of the people who got good jobs that way do.

• Locked thread