Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chaosbreather posted:

you're saying an indie fps with no multiplayer, non-sensical map designs and sprites for enemies would be even noticed in the flood of steam crap nowadays? ok

Doom had multiplayer, dumbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Larry Parrish posted:

Doom had multiplayer, dumbass

not when it launched man

but doesn't matter if it has multiplayer or not, even well publicised, critical darling indie arena shooters like disco dodgeball get like 300 people max online at any time, and that has had had a few decades of design to stand on top of (and polygons)

chaosbreather fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 16, 2015

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

what i'm saying is there is no doom that can be made that will make you feel like its a good doom game

either it lacks everything that made doom great and won't feel like a genuine doom game or it lacks everything that makes a modern game playable and sellable

and you don't even want a new doom game, you want to play the original, which will make you feel nostalgic, or an entirely new game that is exciting now the way that doom was then

chaosbreather fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jun 16, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chaosbreather posted:

what i'm saying is there is no doom that can be made that will make you feel like its a good doom game

either it lacks everything that made doom great and won't feel like a genuine doom game or it lacks everything that makes a modern game playable and sellable

and you don't even want a new doom game, you want to play the original, which will make you feel nostalgic, or an entirely new game that is exciting now the way that doom was then

I didnt play doom till I was like 13. Its just legitimately good my man.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Larry Parrish posted:

I didnt play doom till I was like 13. Its just legitimately good my man.

are you still 13 because you seem to have reading comprehension issues

it was and is good but its not modern and its inherently unmodernizable

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chaosbreather posted:

are you still 13 because you seem to have reading comprehension issues

it was and is good but its not modern and its inherently unmodernizable

You are extremely retarded my man

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

please, enlighten me how you could possibly make a modern doom game that still feels like doom that could actually stand beside modern games on a shelf and sell copies

because they tried to do that with doom 3 and it didn't work and this will similarly not work

because it can't be done

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
lmao at the retards flipping their poo poo at the troll

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

Halo and UT99. [shouting really loud to the police] We have an absolute fag over here. [goes back to fragging people in quake live, once you've been arrested]

I eventually got people to play Warsow and the Q3A demo instead, and proved they were the real men's game.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Tbf I think the reason the footage showed you moving slow was because they wanted to show off the graphics. Same thing with the dumb executions.

Maybe you can turn that poo poo off.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
The only FPS execution animation I've ever liked in a videogame was when Blazkowitz drowned a Nazi in his own piss in New Order. That was legit fun to watch. The other executions in New Order are short enough that they dont bother me. You'd think they'd take a hint from that.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If they made executions only half a second long and made that there were more than 3 enemies at a time attacking you it would be freaking amazing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Just make the doom guy punch peoples head off quickly while screaming "Here comes the pain train choo choo choo!!!"

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

If they made executions only half a second long and made that there were more than 3 enemies at a time attacking you it would be freaking amazing.

Half a second is longer than you think. (At least when playing a videogame.)

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
It really is Brutal Doom lol

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Contra Calculus posted:

Half a second is longer than you think. (At least when playing a videogame.)
Thanks, Captain Numbers of the good ship Counting! Your show's on PBS at 2:00 Eastern / 11:00 Pacific, right?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Contra Calculus posted:

The only FPS execution animation I've ever liked in a videogame was when Blazkowitz drowned a Nazi in his own piss in New Order. That was legit fun to watch. The other executions in New Order are short enough that they dont bother me. You'd think they'd take a hint from that.

I just did that last night and had a hearty lol when he stabbed a knife in his skull after he was already dead from drowning

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Contra Calculus posted:

And also they only happened in Melee

Dec 26, 2012

chaosbreather posted:

it still is good because it was good

but if it wasn't good it wouldn't be good

what

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

he's a retard saying retard stuff so just like.... don't worry about it bro

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

doom plays like a dual joystick shooter in first person which is why it's good

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

rediscover posted:

he's a retard saying retard stuff so just like.... don't worry about it bro

I'm going to worry about it and blast his head off with a super shotgun

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Just make the doom guy punch peoples head off quickly while screaming "Here comes the pain train choo choo choo!!!"

murdering hundreds of demons with chainsaws and berserk packs

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

qnqnx posted:

I'm going to worry about it and blast his head off with a super shotgun

that's sick as hell.... gently caress

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

sector_corrector posted:

it looks better than most modern military shooters, but still not that great. the canned animations are maybe the biggest problem, and i'm having a hard time imagining that combat working in a giant room of 50 monsters where you have to control their fire while strategically eliminating them, and that's what i'd call core doom gameplay. i'm not writing it off yet, but that demo didn't get me too excited.

I feel like you'll be lucky to bump into like a dozen monsters at once in this. I didn't get that vibe at all from the demo or comments.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

trying to jack off posted:

Ya. For me Doom has always been more about its level design and the clever ways they work within the limits of the engine, but I think a good rule of thumb for movement etc. is "would nuts.wad be playable in a game that controls like this?" Halo movement and takedown cutscenes say no

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

trying to jack off posted:

i like to play dodgeball with satans and zombies

Stink fag
Aug 21, 2014
It looks like poo poo. That's why I've been calling it Retard 4 instead of Doom 4.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Stink fag posted:

It looks like poo poo. That's why I've been calling it Retard 4 instead of Doom 4.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Stink fag posted:

I've found Retard 1 and 2 but it's too dark to go after the third one

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I've found Retard 1 and 2 but it's too dark to go after the third one

three retards is to many anywayds. two retards is the perfect amount, just enough as it is one more than one retard (not enough retards, obviously. its literally just 1 guy) and one less than three retards, which is too many

Mr. Sophistication fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 17, 2015

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't care about this poo poo I just want the Serious Sam series to be good again, seriously.

lmao

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Stink fag posted:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

A cool drat horse posted:

People would have said this game looks like another generic FPS turd if Doom wasn't attached to it. Everything looked really uninspired and the mini cutscenes that play just to kill random enemies are ghey, lol.

generic fps turds abre bad

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I cant wait to pick up scientists vlogs off the floor and hear them sort of weakly justify the setting and content of Doom. "Mysterious noises in the night from Dr. Crowley's lab... My God... when we opened the portel... no one could have imagined..." Chills

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

swamp waste posted:

I cant wait to pick up scientists vlogs off the floor and hear them sort of weakly justify the setting and content of Doom. "Mysterious noises in the night from Dr. Crowley's lab... My God... when we opened the portel... no one could have imagined..." Chills

Wow, I almost was about to preorder the new Doom until I saw you take it down a few pegs. Well played!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"My god... we have maked a portal to Hell... guess we won't be going to Carnival!" - Doom 4 em Portugues

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who said it? Dr Crowley (the lead scientist on research station 45-S)

"drat it!!!! We opened the portal to hell!"

[note, the character is being eaten alive by demons as this is being said]

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

swamp waste posted:

There's a freaking typo in your post. It's spelled portal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Whirlwind Jones posted:

There's a freaking typo in your post. It's spelled portal.
Don't worry, swamp waste, he'd still give it a good slamming once or thrice.

• Locked thread