Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

kri kri posted:

Just use kodi libraries, or install emby. Emby runs on your PC, and your clients all talk to emby, just like plex. The emby implementation is light years beyond plexbmc, at least from when I last checked. How emby works now is it syncs with your local kodi install, its actually all really slick, you kind of need to try it to see how it works. More info here: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Kodi/wiki

This seems to talk about going from Emby to Kodi. What about going from Kodi to Emby? That is...how do I synchronize stuff like watched status to Emby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
So I can install Emby and have all of my Kodi installs talk to it, and my videos will still be marked as played after I watch them? If I'm understanding this correctly, this seems like exactly what I've been wanting. Can Sonaar/NZBGet tell Emby when a download is finished and update the library?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

So I can install Emby and have all of my Kodi installs talk to it, and my videos will still be marked as played after I watch them? If I'm understanding this correctly, this seems like exactly what I've been wanting. Can Sonaar/NZBGet tell Emby when a download is finished and update the library?

Sonarr can certainly notify Emby/Kodi, its in the Connect section. Couchpotato doesn't seem to have a Media Browser or Emby thing yet though.

Going to check out installing Emby when I get home maybe if I can find a way to import all of my watched stuff from Kodis libraries.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yes because emby handles all of this. Emby can watch your folders for changes and run a library update, and it can be set to a schedule. Emby is free and open source, not too painful to just install it and find out.

Thermopyle posted:

This seems to talk about going from Emby to Kodi. What about going from Kodi to Emby? That is...how do I synchronize stuff like watched status to Emby?

I think the only way you could do this is use something like trakt. I use trakt to sync watched status between plex and emby, since I haven't switched 100% to emby yet.
e: Just found this thread, http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/21433-best-or-any-way-to-export-watched-status-kodiemby/
angelblue is one of the programmers of the emby kodi plugin.

I don't know a way of exporting kodi watched status to emby, I only just started getting back into kodi since I got my nexus player and was looking to gently caress around a bit.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 16, 2015

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
So if a kodi machine is connected to the tv, the best solution for file sync is to install emby on my laptop? Just asking because I'll be setting everything up this week.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

midnightclimax posted:

So if a kodi machine is connected to the tv, the best solution for file sync is to install emby on my laptop? Just asking because I'll be setting everything up this week.

Well, best solution is probably personal to everyone. I will say its a pretty elegant solution to the issue of multiple kodi clients. If you only have 1 kodi client it might be a bit of overkill, but like I said its a free program so the worst outcome is you are out the time you spent setting it up.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Will Emby replace my current Kodi library or add to it so that I have two of everything? Do I need to remove sources from within Kodi?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Will Emby replace my current Kodi library or add to it so that I have two of everything? Do I need to remove sources from within Kodi?

I think you've got to totally discard your current Kodi library.

The more I think about it the less interested in it I am. I used to really want a headless xbmc server to manage my library, but nowadays I just leave my HTPCs on since the cost of their power usage is like nothing.
If you already have a MySQL solution already set up, I guess the main reason to consider emby for managing your library would be that you can use the mobile apps and your watched status would stay synced with XBMC.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Thermopyle posted:

The more I think about it the less interested in it I am. I used to really want a headless xbmc server to manage my library, but nowadays I just leave my HTPCs on since the cost of their power usage is like nothing.
If you already have a MySQL solution already set up, I guess the main reason to consider emby for managing your library would be that you can use the mobile apps and your watched status would stay synced with XBMC.

This is something (like mySQL) I would only really consider if I had multiple units to take care of.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Does emby work on openelec? I have the emby server running on my PC, I installed the zip file to openelec.

now i have a "kodi emby addons" in the add on repository, but beyond that i cant see what to do next.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Emby seems really nice, but movie sets seem to be kind of a hassle. Stuff with a couple movies, like Back to the Future, isn't too bad, but I've got like 30 disney movies I want to put into a single Disney collection so it's not cluttering up my movie list, and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do that. Any suggestions?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Emby seems really nice, but movie sets seem to be kind of a hassle. Stuff with a couple movies, like Back to the Future, isn't too bad, but I've got like 30 disney movies I want to put into a single Disney collection so it's not cluttering up my movie list, and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do that. Any suggestions?

I am pretty sure you can modify the collections in the web media manger thing.

Cornjob posted:

Does emby work on openelec? I have the emby server running on my PC, I installed the zip file to openelec.

now i have a "kodi emby addons" in the add on repository, but beyond that i cant see what to do next.

Did the read the github howto page? It explains everything. https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Kodi/wiki

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

MySQL works just fine with Kodi for Android, if that's what you mean by mobile apps. I have it set up and the library, watched status, and even the spot where I stopped watching something sync up. It surprised me that it worked so smoothly.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Pretty impressed when I played a ripped 3d movie and kodi just prompted me to change the OSD, and it worked. I haven't tried in forever so it could have been there for awhile since I hadn't updated in so long, but still, very cool.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Where can I find the skin zoom options in Kodi Helix? Cand't find em. All the manuals I seem to find position it under fonts, but there's nothing there. Tried with Confluence and Eminence.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Zorak of Michigan posted:

MySQL works just fine with Kodi for Android, if that's what you mean by mobile apps. I have it set up and the library, watched status, and even the spot where I stopped watching something sync up. It surprised me that it worked so smoothly.

Emby has mobile apps. If you use them but don't use this Emby/Kodi plug in, your watched status won't sync.

You might want to use the Emby mobile apps instead of kodi on your device because the Emby backend transcodes on the fly.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

kri kri posted:

Did the read the github howto page? It explains everything. https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Kodi/wiki

I got it working.

BeerMarket
Feb 5, 2014

I haven't tried Emby yet (and I intent to), but just a heads up that the next version of Kodi will support full library sync via UPnP. This includes watched status, among other things. More info here.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

BeerMarket posted:

I haven't tried Emby yet (and I intent to), but just a heads up that the next version of Kodi will support full library sync via UPnP. This includes watched status, among other things. More info here.

So for the layman, what advantage does UPnP serve that sharing a folder or two over Samba not do?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

KKKLIP ART posted:

So for the layman, what advantage does UPnP serve that sharing a folder or two over Samba not do?

It can sync watched tags, resume points, etc. You can it other ways as well, but assuming UPNP works well, it'd be pretty simple.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

KKKLIP ART posted:

One central hub of info that all the devices on your home network pull from. You don't have to scan on each individual device or push backup files. It's dead simple to set up. Devices that aren't running Kodi can still access the share (like the Media Player on my Roku TV)

There's definite downsides to UPnP at the moment. You have to link it to the front page with a skin that allows customs since it isn't in your library proper. There's no advanced features like smart playlist or trailers.

But the Kodi team seems to be focused on it. Maybe in a year or two it will be ready for primetime.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 18, 2015

BeerMarket
Feb 5, 2014

Call Me Charlie posted:

But the Kodi team seems to be focused on it. Maybe in a year or two it will be ready for primetime.

The timeline is actually looking much more optimistic than that. The beta releases of the newest client have it working pretty well apparently, although this is all hearsay from the Kodi forums.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

KKKLIP ART posted:

If you have a MySQL setup, then upnp almost serves no additional purpose.

However it seems like it's going to allow integration of other video sources like Web streams into your library so you don't have video plug-ins as some separate thing. That's cool I guess.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

So, I got an Emby setup in a docker on my file server and scanning, seems cool so far, I haven't connected it to any of my kodi devices yet though. I've wanted to setup a headless kodi instance that could manage my library centrally, instead of each one individually, but it has it's downsides that Emby doesn't seem to have. I'll do a test run on the bedroom HTPC soon, but does it carry over stuff like watched status, play times, etc when you initially set it up? Never mind, addressed already. It seems pretty cool from what I've read so far though, transcoding for playing on mobile devices, streaming over the internet, easy metadata management, etc. It'd be pretty neat to let my mom have access to my movies/tv shows from her house now that she's retired.

Tanbo fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 18, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tanbo posted:

h. I've wanted to setup a headless kodi instance that could manage my library centrally, instead of each one individually,

In case you weren't aware, you can use MySQL with Kodi to get a centralized library. It doesn't use a headless kodi, but it avoids each instance having its own individual library.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Yeah I did that once a couple years ago, but I stopped, because it was causing issues with watched status, at the time there was no elegant way to separate watched status between profiles. So if anyone watched something on their profile, it would show up as watched for everyone. It looks like Emby solves that.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
so i have emby running on my PC, which contains all my media. i installed the emby add on to my Acer running Kodi.

movies work perfectly. but for some reason, none of the other libraries show up. they show up in the "media folders" on the emby server, just not in Kodi. help me goons.

edit: fixed it. Users > Library access > enable access to all libraries

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 18, 2015

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Anybody else have trouble getting the CouchPotato plugin working? It constantly fails for me no matter what settings I use. I've doublechecked that the same address works in the browser, so I'm not sure where to look. Here's a link to my post on the Kodi forums.

Also, I'm now 100% used to the name Kodi and have no problems with it anymore. It's like the Wii.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

EC posted:

Also, I'm now 100% used to the name Kodi and have no problems with it anymore. It's like the Wii.

Grew on me too. Now if only the thread title reflected it. drat that OP! :argh:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've been meaning to update that thread title to aid people searching for the thread...

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What subtitles addons should I be using? I have been out of the kodi game for a while...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does a SQL back end solve the video indexing speed issue when you have lots of videos in the same folder/network share?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Cornjob posted:

so i have emby running on my PC, which contains all my media. i installed the emby add on to my Acer running Kodi.

movies work perfectly. but for some reason, none of the other libraries show up. they show up in the "media folders" on the emby server, just not in Kodi. help me goons.

edit: fixed it. Users > Library access > enable access to all libraries

Even after enabling all libraries, my TV shows wont show up in kodi. Tv shows are visible in the server, but not in kodi. Help me goons.

Edit 2: after several reboots tv shows are showing up.

New problem: is there a way to have multiple libraries separated? In emby, i have tv shows and kids tv shows as two separate libraries. In kodi, theyre all merged into one.

I knew how to do this by creating playlists in kodi. Do i have to do this with emby?

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 19, 2015

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

midnightclimax posted:

If I want to use a Raspberry for streaming with Kodi, do I need an external HD? Because I'm thinking buffering all the data is a problem when you only have a 8 GB SD. Or maybe not? Dunno.

e: Also what's a good kodi podcast app for organising podcasts? Couldn't find anything.

I use the Raspberry Pi B with OpenElec and stream using NFS and it's perfectly fine. It's originally was streaming from another Pi before I bumped it to an Odroid-C1

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

For some reason, shows in Emby keep getting marked as unwatched. Stuff I watched today are currently marked as watched, but the stuff I watched yesterday is marked as unwatched, and I suspect that tomorrow, today's stuff will be back to unwatched. Is anybody else having this issue?

edit: opened up Kodi on a different machine than I used to watch the shows today, and now today's stuff is back to unwatched. What the hell?

edit the 2nd: not running Trakt btw

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 19, 2015

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I've currently got a mini PC with KODI set up as an HTPC - mostly just for ripped movies and shows. My problem is that I've got an issue with the system that I cannot figure out. At one point, I started getting regular blue screens (Win 7) to the point where the whole system failed and all signs pointed to bad RAM. I RMA'd the RAM and got a new pair, but I still get blue screens, and I'm afraid that there is a MB/voltage issue that is killing my RAM.

As a result, I'm looking at an alternative device for the following:

Streaming of video from a file server (no Plex setup currently)
Amazon Prime streaming (currently I use the 360)
Netflix streaming (I don't currently have Netflix, though I may in the future)
Emulation gaming (Using a wireless controller, running nothing later than N64 emulators, most likely)

I would prefer not to have to build another PC (cost, space, etc) and would like a minimum of tweaking - it's not that I can't, it's just that I don't want to take the time anymore. If I have to run Plex, I will, it's just that I haven't needed to in the past, so I never really did anything with it.

I'm assuming my choice would be between the Fire TV, a Pi (lots of setup?) and the Nexus Player (though it seems like the Nexus requires a lot of tweaking and won't run Amazon Prime Video?)

EDIT: I just realized there is an HTPC thread, so this may be better suited there. Any input would still be appreciated though.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 22, 2015

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

If you set up plex you could do all that with a WiiU, I don't know how well.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

LookieLoo posted:

If you set up plex you could do all that with a WiiU, I don't know how well.

Thanks, but if I wanted to spend $300, I'd just get a new PC.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
If Amazon is a must, get one of the Fire TV devices. It's a pain to get Kodi going, but it's certainly doable, and Amazon Instant Video and Netflix are supported. Emulation I'm not so sure about. On the other hand, the Shield Android TV is good for gaming/emulation and Netflix and Kodi are easily installed through the Play Store. I don't think Amazon Instant Video is working, though there is an APK for Amazon for the Android TV platform pulled from an actual television that runs the Android TV software, but I think Amazon blocked any non-TV Android TV devices from using the app, if that all makes sense. Nexus Player is also an option but I'm not familiar with emulation on that device, but I do own three of them and can highly recommend one for a simple/cheap media streamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

wolfbiker posted:

If Amazon is a must, get one of the Fire TV devices. It's a pain to get Kodi going, but it's certainly doable, and Amazon Instant Video and Netflix are supported. Emulation I'm not so sure about. On the other hand, the Shield Android TV is good for gaming/emulation and Netflix and Kodi are easily installed through the Play Store. I don't think Amazon Instant Video is working, though there is an APK for Amazon for the Android TV platform pulled from an actual television that runs the Android TV software, but I think Amazon blocked any non-TV Android TV devices from using the app, if that all makes sense. Nexus Player is also an option but I'm not familiar with emulation on that device, but I do own three of them and can highly recommend one for a simple/cheap media streamer.

Fire TV can do emulation. I have NES/SNES/N64/MAME set up on mine with no issue. The biggest pain is the lack of internal space but somebody in the Fire TV thread said that they used a USB drive and a USB hub with no problem.

Sideloading Kodi isn't that bad if you use an UI like adbFire or Amazon FireTV Utility App to do all the grunt work (just don't try to use the rooting stuff in those apps unless you know what you're doing)