Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow, really sucks there is only 30 minutes of content in FO4 since that's all they showed. What's even worse is half of that is just some guy talking to an audience. This game will suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, it seems like a lot of the "purists" have forgotten exactly what the base of the game is like. New Vegas is sort of the "true sequel" to Fallout 2, but its sheer amount of choice and the bare-bones backstory of the Courier is an outlier in the Fallout series.

The other games don't literally put you into a wedlock though, I reckon that is where people jump ship for several reasons. Possibly religious ones.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Yaos posted:

Fallout 4 is now a linear cinematic FPS set in the 80's.

Awesome, maybe it'll have good writing then. :smug:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Yaos posted:

Fallout 4 is now a linear cinematic FPS set in the 80's.

It's not that bad considering the 80s were loving crazy for the 50s and 60s.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

The other games don't literally put you into a wedlock though, I reckon that is where people jump ship for several reasons. Possibly religious ones.

They should probably grow up and stop being babies, then.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Fallout 4 probably won't let you kill every named character and will be a lesser game for it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

They should probably grow up and stop being babies, then.

It's just going to equate a lost sale, ain't much I can do about that. And there's probably a fair bunch of them, calling them babies isn't going to sway them to either side.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Lord Lambeth posted:

Fallout 4 probably won't let you kill every named character and will be a lesser game for it.
I'm guessing it won't let you do a pacifist run either.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

J-Spot posted:

*plunges tanto into abdomen to commit ritual seppuku*

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Walrus Pete posted:

I'm with you. The worst part is that so many people do it, though. IIRC, BioWare once revealed that something crazy like 70% of all players played the default male Shepard as the soldier class (AKA the one without fun powers) in Mass Effect. It's baffling.

It wasn't baffling; it was baffling (if hilarious) that goon/goon-type folks were baffled by it. It's the same reason why the Warrior in Diablo 2 is the one that defeats Diablo, whereas the Mage and Archer/Thief become bad guys: the player is the Combat Guy, the other characters are the Magic Guys and the Thief Guys.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

You'll be able to kill named characters in Fallout: Newer Orleans.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

J-Spot posted:

Player choice is very important.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

MisterBibs posted:

It wasn't baffling; it was baffling (if hilarious) that goon/goon-type folks were baffled by it. It's the same reason why the Warrior in Diablo 2 is the one that defeats Diablo, whereas the Mage and Archer/Thief become bad guys: the player is the Combat Guy, the other characters are the Magic Guys and the Thief Guys.

This!

Seriously, the Soldier was a great class in Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah it shouldn't be a surprise most people prefer the default. A majority of people also rolled human in GW2.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mordaedil posted:

Massachusetts was the first state in the nation to legalize gay marriage, and by God we will be the first in the nation to legalize gay robot marriage :colbert:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Walrus Pete posted:

I'm with you. The worst part is that so many people do it, though. IIRC, BioWare once revealed that something crazy like 70% of all players played the default male Shepard as the soldier class (AKA the one without fun powers) in Mass Effect. It's baffling.

I doubt I'll be taking advantage of the name-speaking, either. I tend to name my video game characters really dumb stuff that's only amusing to me.

Except that IRL I have a CHR of 10 and an INT of 10 so I why wouldn't I build myself in the game? The only real problem is that Bethesda still hasn't implemented a facegen that can really capture a handsome face, so I end up being a really charming potato. A small price to pay, though...

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

What probably actually happened is that people just pressed the quick-start button to immediately jump into the game (which gives the default face & Soldier preset), got bored with ME1's poorly designed and rather long introductory sequence and/or the atrocious combat, quit the game and never bothered to jump back in with a custom build.

The baffling thing was the (probably marketing mandated) decision to make the Soldier class the default build since ME1's shooter gameplay was really, really bad and the Soldier had nothing else to do but shoot stuff.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

2house2fly posted:

Please, 99% of the posts in this thread are people gushing about how amazing the game looks and ripping their wallets open to pre order the $130 collector's edition with plastic toy.

Even a cursory glance of the thread by anyone who can read demonstrates that this isn't even remotely approaching a resemblance of the truth. Why bother making bullshit like this up?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

What the hell else would you make a default build?

Also Soldier could wear the heaviest armor (that looked cool) and had a power that made you almost invincible with Master Immunity + Adrenaline Burst

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I remember loads of people bitching about how in ME2 the game not giving you enough ammo and I'm all like "play Soldier he doesn't have ammo problems" and dudes was mad that I suggested they play soldier.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Mordaedil posted:

It's just going to equate a lost sale, ain't much I can do about that. And there's probably a fair bunch of them, calling them babies isn't going to sway them to either side.

If by 'fair bunch' you mean a very small but vocal minority, then yes, you are correct.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I suppose one nice thing about mod support is that, even if they were stupid enough to implement TES-style skill advancement, there will be a mod to replace it at least two weeks after the game comes out. I mean, I'll try it but I seriously doubt I'll prefer it to a leveling system; I'm not inherently opposed to the idea but if it's anything like Skyrim leveling up Repair and Science will just require a lot of pointless grinding (see Smithing in Skyrim, for ex).

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Mordaedil posted:

Lol

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I really wish you could play as a poly household with 4 dads and 7 wives.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I remember loads of people bitching about how in ME2 the game not giving you enough ammo and I'm all like "play Soldier he doesn't have ammo problems" and dudes was mad that I suggested they play soldier.
You never had enough ammo for the good weapons (the ones that did any damage) regardless

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, it seems like a lot of the "purists" have forgotten exactly what the base of the game is like. New Vegas is sort of the "true sequel" to Fallout 2, but its sheer amount of choice and the bare-bones backstory of the Courier is an outlier in the Fallout series.

i feel like a lot of people are forgetting that the company that made FO3 and is working on FO4 is not the same people who made FO1 & FO2. F04 is going to be more like Skyrim and every other generic AAA game released for a modern system because that is what the company that is making FO4 does. getting mad or surprised or upset or anything other than just accepting whatever news comes down the pipe is a futile exercise in impotent rage. if you loved FO1 & FO2 then you got New Vegas as your eventual follow-up. there might not ever be another FO game made by (some) of the people who worked on the first two ever again, but even if there was it's not going to be F04. likewise, the people working on F04 might take very tertiary learnings from what NV did well, but don't expect F04 to continue in the direction that NV went because the company that is making F04 has a fundamentally different philosophy for what kind of game they want to make

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Dinosaur Gum
Already gearing up my character

10 STR
10 CHR
10 INT

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

homeless poster posted:

i feel like a lot of people are forgetting that the company that made FO3 and is working on FO4 is not the same people who made FO1 & FO2. F04 is going to be more like Skyrim and every other generic AAA game released for a modern system because that is what the company that is making FO4 does. getting mad or surprised or upset or anything other than just accepting whatever news comes down the pipe is a futile exercise in impotent rage. if you loved FO1 & FO2 then you got New Vegas as your eventual follow-up. there might not ever be another FO game made by (some) of the people who worked on the first two ever again, but even if there was it's not going to be F04. likewise, the people working on F04 might take very tertiary learnings from what NV did well, but don't expect F04 to continue in the direction that NV went because the company that is making F04 has a fundamentally different philosophy for what kind of game they want to make

This is really it (although I disagree with the "generic AAA" snipe). If you enjoyed Fallout 3 and Skyrim (I did), then Fallout 4 is probably going to be up your alley. If you hate Bethesda games, you probably will not like Fallout 4, as it is developed by Bethesda games, although the need to express that repeatedly baffles me a little.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

From other thread:

Verisimilidude posted:

So despite being an otherwise lukewarm experience Fallout Shelter is one of the creepiest games I've ever played. Women are essentially relegated to being baby-making machines for my highest-statted male characters (I assume they transfer stats, but that might not be the case). They are on an endless cycle of flirt, get pregnant, give birth, repeat.
:gonk:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

From other thread:

:gonk:

ngl I sort of see where he's coming from. The game does feel really sinister, which I suppose is somewhat appropriate.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I really love RPG stuff and spellcasting but I'll be very honest, I played the soldier too. I messed with face customization and stuff, but I definitely did not bother with other classes in the mass effect series. First one aside, that game is barely the kind of RPG where it's fun to play spellcasters and my party members had plenty of neat gimmicks to exploit during fights.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

HA, New Vegas being SIMILAR to Fallout 2, that's a laugh.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

homeless poster posted:

aduhhhhhhh uhhhhh guhhhhh bllllbbbluhhh

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

dangerdoom volvo posted:

aduhhhhhhh uhhhhh guhhhhh bllllbbbluhhh

Fallout 4: aduhhhhhhh uhhhhh guhhhhh bllllbbbluhhh

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Fallout 4: aduhhhhhhh uhhhhh guhhhhh bllllbbbluhhh

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bholder posted:

HA, New Vegas being SIMILAR to Fallout 2, that's a laugh.

You're right, it's more similar to the first fallout in that it's more grounded.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

You're right, it's more similar to the first fallout in that it's more grounded.

:eyepop:

THIS GUY

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

not this poo poo again ahhhhhhhh

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Read the NMA review of Fallout 3, and it's surprisingly reasonable. Not sure what the reviewer is doing mingling with a bunch of retards who can't stop bragging about how superior they are to all the plebs who liked any of the games past the first, but I liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Orks confirmed?

• Locked thread