Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ugh, I can cook scrambled eggs on my 930 after the update to 10136.

--edit: Meh, seems like none of the apps are preinstalled, every first start seems to head to the Store. Hope that changes on final release.
--edit2: The Store is still a mess with mismatched focus and hit surfaces, and semi-functional controls.

Odd, my 1520 hasn't got hot yet, even in a case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

Any crippling issues you've noticed yet?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

LifeSizePotato posted:

Any crippling issues you've noticed yet?

Playing around with it:

- Internet explorer isn't installed, and I am not sure how to install it.
-After the first boot I couldn't pin anything to the start, a reboot fixed that issue.

Things that are cool:
- For larger phones, holding the windows button will push the application down, making it easier to use with a single hand.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

ratbert90 posted:

I seem to remember this being an issue with the 930.

Also, the quick access index overlay in the app list looks goddamn terrible, it's gradient boxes. And bold letter headings in apps looked better in 10080. In this newest build, there's too much spacing between the letters, like the kerning is hosed up. Actually, I think it's related to scaling settings for the 930.

--edit: The headers in the settings app look like I think they should. In most other apps, the font (or its kerning) is hosed IMO.

--edit2: Off to a factory reset. It made a variety of things work too afterwards in 10080.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 16, 2015

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

Playing around with it:

- Internet explorer isn't installed, and I am not sure how to install it.

I went ahead and installed 10136 on my 1520 (I live life on the edge :madmax:) and IE wasn't working for me either. It was listed on the app list as Project Spartan. Likewise, the Phone tile initially said "Off" and did nothing, but there is a second Phone in the app list and that one works.

Edit: After messing around a bit, it seems much more functional than the last build I tried. It's pretty pokey though, particularly with opening apps and returning to the start screen. Google Mail doesn't let me do anything besides read emails, either; no settings and so on. Whereas the last preview I tried was a horrid unusable mess, this one could work for daily use if I'm willing to put up with some aggravation and unpolished interfaces. I'll probably end up reverting back since it doesn't offer much over 8.1.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 16, 2015

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit2: Off to a factory reset. It made a variety of things work too afterwards in 10080.

I've been using 10080 on my "daily driver" Nokia 635 since 10080 first came out. I'm a sucker for punishment. I didn't enjoy using it much, and my phone became relegated to basically just a Kindle reader. Simple things like listening to podcasts didn't work (the podcast app failed on launch), and both Internet Explorer and Spartan would crash within 10 minutes of browsing even on simple sites like Ars Technnica and The Verge, and Outlook Mail was pretty slow.

First report on 10136:

Installation: This morning at 8am I downgraded to 8.1, and installed the "Windows Insider" thing. Then I upgraded to 10136. Then I did a factory reset (Settings > Updates > Reset This Phone) to wipe 10136 to its initial clean state. I didn't trust it otherwise. There are about 20 apps and updates to install off the bat. The first time I launched "Store Beta" it looked terrible. But it seems to have installed an update to the Store Beta first of all, and is now looking nice for the remainder of the updates. It's now 2pm and I'm still installing :(

Appearance: I like the background on the start screen and the way it fades out on the app list. Lots of things have really fat borders which looks ugly. The built-in apps now mostly look better on "dark" theme, with just a few glitches. The built-in apps also have the correct app icon background (i.e they show my theme color).

Spartan: holy heck is this thing fast! It seems to be faster both at downloading the page and viewing it. Now almost as fast as my wife's iPhone6. I'm happy that Spartan now recognizes my Dark theme. It's still needlessly complicated to go to my favorites, but I'll start using it.

Podcasts: the podcast app no longer crashes on launch! Hurrah! I can finally ditch the terrible "i Podcast" app that I'd been using in its stead.

Display: It still retains the Nokia app to customize color-temperature and brightness-level. This for me is a dealbreaker. My wife's iPhone isn't jail-broken so she can't install Flux so she's stuck with garish blue light when reading at night. But I can turn the backlight almost completely off, and use Kindle or Freda to read at night without messing up my day/night sleepiness.

Maps: When you do a search in Maps, it wastes valuable screen real estate at the bottom of the screen for ads. At least that's what I thought they were until I clicked on them. Turns out it's not an add banner but STREET VIEW! Nice, easy to use, surprisingly fast. I'm pretty happy with this.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Factory reset broke the start screen, i.e. it don't load. Trying another reset before rolling back to 8.1 again.

--edit: Microsoft still needs to go with a wire brush over all of Windows (Mobile). Seeing how long it takes to do an upgrade or factory reset is kind of eh.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 16, 2015

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is there an NDA for screenshots? I don't think my HTC 8X will be seeing W10 Mobile.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Downgraded my 1520 and tried to upgrade it again. Won't work. Every single time I've tried, it finishes the gears sequence, reboots, starts the gears thing again, reboots, and so on, and so on.

1020 and 521 worked though. :shrug:

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
I've been loving around with 10136 for the last few hours on my phone (only phone, gangster) the HTC M8. Compared to the previous build it is actually pretty awesome. There are a few minor bugs I've run in to so far but no show stoppers. They keyboard has gotten trickier to use and sometimes SMS/MMS don't initially appear when you send a message. Autocorrect is a bit of a bitch, too. You can't deselect the correction by tapping the line you're typing on at least not 100% of the time. It annoyingly doesn't update your start screen calendar or email apps with the Outlook versions which are now the only versions. Also, if you upgrade with folders on the desktop, they disappear - until you try and add new folders and then they suddenly reappear when you're stacking apps. That was pretty annoying. As of about 5 min ago my phone just notified me there was ANOTHER update available. It's doing its thing right now and I'll report back.

tl;dr: Though some annoying bugs persist it is a majorly improved experience. I'm actually having no anxiety about taking this build out into the world as my daily driver.

Edit: I'm not sure what the second update did. Everything on the screen seems slightly larger and the whole experience is a bit slower and more deliberate. Not sure how to define that.

MobMentality fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 17, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Dumb question, I just moved and my 635 has been in a box. I found it, charged it up and grabbed the latest windows 10 build. Does the OS version in system -> about actually match a build number at all?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I don't get the update process of Windows Mobile. It's installing a new Insider fast ring configuration, and it takes like half an hour to do that. I don't get what needs half an hour to set a few reg keys.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
1520 running 10.0.10136.0

.. 24hr clock doesn't work in the top right corner (edit: updated after restart)
.. scrolling through the adding a language makes the list disappear
.. there's still space for another column on the right of the screen despite already having 3 medium tiles across already - is this normal or a feature of the 1520 giganto-screen? EDIT: so yeah this is actually a column I was too dumb to drag anything into. 4 columns ahoy!
.. "tile picture" adds the background to each tile as a tile-sized image rather than behind them all
.. the quick jump alphabet for the app list has a bullshit diagonal gradient
.. Spartan is loving fast as gently caress
.. there are two "phone" apps. one doesn't work
.. some tile images are blurry af
.. takes for ever to shutdown/restart or did it just crash? who knows
.. exchange doesn't seem to be supported for calendar or email

This is supposed to be almost complete? Uh oh.

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 17, 2015

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Not really supposed to be almost complete, just an improvement over the last one. Release date is somewhere between September and October, so they have some time to polish it up.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Mr Funkface posted:

This is supposed to be almost complete? Uh oh.

This isn't working on the Windows 10 timeline. I think just last week they even said they were pushing back the WP10 ETA to make sure it's ready, so there's still a lot of time. (Famous last words with MS, though.)

I've had 10136 on my 1520 for almost a day now, which is about 23 hours longer than I could tolerate the previous build. I'll be reverting back though due to slowness, glitches with getting to text and email messages, and poor Gmail implementation (probably due to glitches). Having the nav bar at the top of IE is going to be hard to get used to when the final drops. It would be impossible on the large 1520 if not for the new long-hold-Windows-key move. Switching tabs or going to favorites in IE is also clunky and annoying.

Using these preview builds does help me appreciate the fact that 8.1 mostly does "just work."

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 17, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So, how do you deal with app installs that are in limbo? Uninstall entry is greyed out and you can't trigger an uninstall from the Store.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
My 925's been in a gears -> reboot -> gears -> reboot loop for the past 4 hours, I don't think 10136 is getting along with it. Anything special I need to do in this case to recover?

Edit: Windows Phone Recovery Tool fixed things right up. Phew.

Tivac fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 18, 2015

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Does the dialler now have smart dialling?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Maybe there's another thread I'm not seeing discussion about this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/18/us-nokia-phones-idUSKBN0OY21320150618?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews

quote:

Many analysts expect Microsoft to write off all or part of the $7.2 billion it paid for Nokia's handset unit, a deal that left Microsoft with a money-losing business and only 3 percent of the smartphone market.

Microsoft manager Stephen Elop, whom the U.S. software giant installed as Nokia chief executive for a time, is now leaving Microsoft in a sign the company is turning away from the hardware devices business he headed and back to its core software business.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Sucks because I've always liked Nokia. It's a big reason I switched to Windows phone.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I always planned to buy a 930 and have it be my last phone forever.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Man Finland must be piiiiiisssed.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Jerry, all these big companies, they write off everything.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope
So I got a Lumia 640 today from Tmobile and it is definitely the best $100 phone I have ever purchased. Screen is better than I was expecting coming from an HTC 8x. It's almost a perfect side-grade... for about $300 less than the 8x was.

Re: the write-off. The reorg letter that's floating around Microsoft is pretty much on-point with getting products that people want to market faster. The 640 is a great value phone, perfectly acceptable today... but should have been in the market 3-6 months ago. It's going to be a good daily driver for me, but there's no reason it should have taken so long to come out, especially if Tmobile is filling it via "direct order" only.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Chasiubao posted:

Man Finland must be piiiiiisssed.
All those people working directly with hardware will have no problem getting hired. Last time they announced closure of the site, Apple, Samsung, etc had recruitment events set up in no time. Samsung has been stealing Nokia designs for like years, so they just as well might hire people who originally came up with all the good ideas.

All that middle management though? They're hosed.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

benitocereno posted:

So I got a Lumia 640 today from Tmobile and it is definitely the best $100 phone I have ever purchased. Screen is better than I was expecting coming from an HTC 8x. It's almost a perfect side-grade... for about $300 less than the 8x was.

Re: the write-off. The reorg letter that's floating around Microsoft is pretty much on-point with getting products that people want to market faster. The 640 is a great value phone, perfectly acceptable today... but should have been in the market 3-6 months ago. It's going to be a good daily driver for me, but there's no reason it should have taken so long to come out, especially if Tmobile is filling it via "direct order" only.

poo poo, when did TMob release this? I checked just two days ago, went for Expansiys in the end. Is the TMob a dual SIM? This would be the only saving grace.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
So, the write off means no more phones at all, or means no Lumia phones? Could they be moving forward with a Surface phone? Is Windows Phone deader than it already is?

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

Mr Funkface posted:

poo poo, when did TMob release this? I checked just two days ago, went for Expansiys in the end. Is the TMob a dual SIM? This would be the only saving grace.

Tmobile released yesterday... getting it ordered was a bit of a pain, but I've been waiting because my 8x was getting unstable. Lucky for you - not dual sim! And $130, so don't feel too bad about the difference.

Really happy I finally get wifi calling and band 12 - finally don't feel like a complete second-class citizen on their network.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Doomsday Jesus posted:

So, the write off means no more phones at all, or means no Lumia phones? Could they be moving forward with a Surface phone? Is Windows Phone deader than it already is?

They haven't done any write off yet, but don't be surprised if one pops up soon. I wouldn't expect much more than the meager effort MS has already been putting in the phones beyond whatever necessary to show off Windows 10 stuff; rumor has it that Satya doesn't care at all about Lumia.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

MrBond posted:

They haven't done any write off yet, but don't be surprised if one pops up soon. I wouldn't expect much more than the meager effort MS has already been putting in the phones beyond whatever necessary to show off Windows 10 stuff; rumor has it that Satya doesn't care at all about Lumia.

This is interesting because Mobile is so clearly the next big growth area. Mobile development has already paid dividends for windows (ie Cortana, the tile interface). And even if Microsoft is only concerned with people using their services, this is so much easier if people are also using your platform. Apples maps is a great example where it can still get marketshare despite at least initially being much inferior based on being the platform default.

Abandoning phones made by the company formerly known as known will annihilate windows mobile as a platform which really seems like not the correct direction here. If anything, selling phones as a huge loss leader to get people on your platform is where I would go. Microsoft has a billions in cash reserve so its not like they can't handle the burn.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I don't think they're going to abandon Windows phone OS anytime soon, just the hardware side of things.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I don't think they're going to abandon Windows phone OS anytime soon, just the hardware side of things.

I feel like that would effectively kill the platform. Who else makes quality Windows phones at this point?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

TopherCStone posted:

I feel like that would effectively kill the platform. Who else makes quality Windows phones at this point?
If Microsoft is serious about staying in the mobile market, it will be whoever Microsoft subsidizes to make quality-Windows phones.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

benitocereno posted:

Tmobile released yesterday... getting it ordered was a bit of a pain, but I've been waiting because my 8x was getting unstable. Lucky for you - not dual sim! And $130, so don't feel too bad about the difference.

Really happy I finally get wifi calling and band 12 - finally don't feel like a complete second-class citizen on their network.

And again I wonder why there are 4 versions of each 640 and 640XL.

Some sort of update for my 920 just came through. It's becoming a total slug recently - gyro doesn't work, neither does the light sensor, signal keeps dropping where it didn't used to. I want another 920 but from the future, the best form factor.

EDIT: OS is 8.10.14234.375 if that helps anyone.

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 19, 2015

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
New phone is supposed to arrive today. It's 6pm and the UPS guy just drove right past without stopping. :argh:

fake edit; he turned around and drove past my house again - :argh::argh:

real edit; it was supposed to come via USPS anyway. :cry:

wormil fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 19, 2015

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
I got some update for my AT&T 1520 yesterday, something about stopping it from randomly restarting although I don't remember that happening much, if at all. And it's definitely not 8.1 Update 2, the settings are all the and not split into categories.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ev posted:

I got some update for my AT&T 1520 yesterday, something about stopping it from randomly restarting although I don't remember that happening much, if at all. And it's definitely not 8.1 Update 2, the settings are all the and not split into categories.

I got that update on my 925 too, but I'm on 8.1 Update 2 because I enlisted on the insider program but didn't install Win10 preview.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr Funkface posted:

And again I wonder why there are 4 versions of each 640 and 640XL.

Some sort of update for my 920 just came through. It's becoming a total slug recently - gyro doesn't work, neither does the light sensor, signal keeps dropping where it didn't used to. I want another 920 but from the future, the best form factor.

EDIT: OS is 8.10.14234.375 if that helps anyone.

I had the same update. The patch notes weren't very specific (something about a restart bug?), but made it very clear that this patch would be forcibly installed on Sunday if I didn't do anything. A bit late in the 920 life cycle to be pushing updates, so I'd imagine there was some security thing involved.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
You guys know they merged the Windows and Devices businesses into one division, right? If they kill phone hardware then Windows 10 Mobile is dead too. Cortana would have to be reinvented to only work in whatever sandboxed mobile context other platforms would allow, too.

It would suck if the 940 and 940XL get cancelled but an iPhone 6 with all the Apple services replaced with Outlook / Skype / OneNote / XBox Music would be a pretty nice phone for me apart from the lack of Live Tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Guillermus posted:

I got that update on my 925 too, but I'm on 8.1 Update 2 because I enlisted on the insider program but didn't install Win10 preview.

I didn't know that you could update to Update 2 with the insider program... I'll have to see if that's an option on my phone when I get home later. I used that program to get 8.1 before it was released but didn't realize it worked for 8.1 Update 2 as well.

The irony with that update I just got is that now my phone rebooted randomly for the first time in, I don't know, maybe ever.