Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Leperflesh posted:

Bones III announced for July 7!

http://www.reapermini.com/bones3

My reaction:

Fauxtool posted:

as someone who bought bones 1 and 2 but hasnt painted any of them, im ready for bones 3

Also, at least I can sorta budget for a big spend in August when the campaign ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'll see what really shiny big stuff is in it. The tiamat is deeply tempting.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I've been having fun.

I'm probably going to get someone to split my Bones 3 with me locally, though.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I honestly wouldn't have thought of doing the cultists with white robes, but that's a really nice look. Might need to steal that, Iris.

Partly related, I'm curious how the Legendary Encounters KS is going to go. I know most of Reaper's fanbase isn't going to go in for prepaints, but I know that there are other people who can't be arsed to paint. It'll be interesting to see.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Bones 3 has been pushed back to 11am EST July 7, in order to make more sculpts in advance.

I for one welcome any and all delays

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 6, 2015

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

NTRabbit posted:

I for one welcome any and all delays

So does my bank account.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I've been so frustrated working on bones lately. A lot of them are pretty good. The detail is a little soft, but whatever for a $1 a figure or however much it worked out to last kickstarter. Some of them though the detail is just obliterated. It's some Raiders of the Lost Ark poo poo. They are still fine for $1 I guess, but they're not even good for practice.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Consider it good practice for painting in detail that isn't there. Don't you ever plan to paint a sigil on a pauldron?

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
That's what I ended up doing. I mean, I'm not saying my Merisiel figure is Golden Demon material, but painting on lighting to simulate a sculpted nose did make her pretty serviceable.

Edit:

JackMann posted:

I honestly wouldn't have thought of doing the cultists with white robes, but that's a really nice look. Might need to steal that, Iris.

:3::respek::catholic::respek::cthulhu:

Iris of Ether fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 6, 2015

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Paolomania posted:

Consider it good practice for painting in detail that isn't there. Don't you ever plan to paint a sigil on a pauldron?

There's a pretty big difference between painting detail that isn't there, and trying to paint detail over Freddy Krueger texture.

I didn't really get them for practice though. I've got a bin of metal minis for that already. I got them so I could spend an hour relaxing while throwing a table top paint job on a figure I didn't care about. And they've been abysmal in that role, because they are the opposite of relaxing for me.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 6, 2015

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

krushgroove posted:

Also, at least I can sorta budget for a big spend in August when the campaign ends.

They timed it to end right around GenCon. Weak.

(My wallet is weak, I mean.)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Reaper's newsletter posted:

Bones III Kickstarter

Before we had even concluded the shipping of Bones II rewards back in March, you've been asking us when we we're going to do Bones III.

You want it? YOU GOT IT.

July 7th, we're launching Bones III, and bringing our popular BONES back to Kickstarter. We've got new models, new art, new designs, and a new hero!

Our Story begins as Mrs. Bones discovers thet Mr. Bones has been kidnapped, and Mrs. Bones takes up her sword to travel through Bonesylvania as we unlock new models and new surprises, including demons, dragons, gods, terrain, heroes, villains, lycanthropes, peasants, monsters, and more! Each stretch goal is new Bones models for you, and brings her one step closer to rescuing Mr. Bones from the evil... Well, that's a secret.
Keep your eyes on our Forums to see previews, secrets, and talk to the project creators before the project launches!

Legendary Encounters Kickstarter

In 2007 we launched our first plastics line, Legendary Encounters. These were pre-painted, non random, non-blind miniatures packaged in our standard visible blisters. You could see what you were getting, and always get the right one. The only problem was, the process of making new molds was expensive, and we coudn't keep up.

In 2011, we used Kickstarter to successfully create the BONES line of miniatures, creating over a hundred new molds for over 300 new plastic figures. But in the back of our mind, we always knew that the Legendary Encounters pre-painted plastics needed some attention, too. And while we can now use dozens of our BONES molds, the Legendary Encounters figures are more expensive to produce and prototype than the BONES are.

Kickstarter to the Rescue! This fall, we're going to re-launch a new and improved Legendary Encounters Kickstarter, a new project designed to help us get hundreds of new models, new paint jobs, and new ideas to market! If you don't want to paint a million beasties for your games, or you just like the idea of us doing the work for you, this project is for you!
Keep an eye out for more news at reapermini.com.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Reaper realized that people were buying the Bones miniatures and never painting them, so they have innovated a solution!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLC820wvnxM but the other way around

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Getting increasingly irritated with this company. The constant Kickstarters are eating up all their production capacity, to the point that my LGS's supplier hasn't been able to purchase any new Reaper stock for almost three months at this point. What's the point of expanding the company if you can't loving stock normal product?

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

Is this a bad time to mention that Reaperbryan just posted an image for the core 30 of the upcoming kickstarter (on their forums)?

I would post a link but I am on my phone.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

An Angry Bug posted:

Getting increasingly irritated with this company. The constant Kickstarters are eating up all their production capacity, to the point that my LGS's supplier hasn't been able to purchase any new Reaper stock for almost three months at this point. What's the point of expanding the company if you can't loving stock normal product?

Where do you live? Even out in the middle of bumblefuck midwest my LGS is able to keep a healthy stock of Bones 1 and 2 miniatures. Are you sure your supplier isn't one of those wierdos who is blackballing Reaper for having a kickstarter in the first place?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Earthorn posted:

Is this a bad time to mention that Reaperbryan just posted an image for the core 30 of the upcoming kickstarter (on their forums)?

I would post a link but I am on my phone.

I live to serve:

Gotta love dat rear end.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I want that Dog

An Angry Bug posted:

The bones sent out for kickstarter rewards are entirely made in china, while I'm pretty sure metal minis are made in Reaper HQ, and retail bones are made in Reaper HQ with machines the kickstarter allowed them to buy. There should be no relation between the KS and stock levels.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 23, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Reaper is notorious among retailers for being consistently unable to fill orders.

http://blackdiamondgames.blogspot.com/search?q=reaper

e. A lot of those posts about reaper go back to 2008 and 2012 and stuff, but I was specifically thinking of this recent post, which is a report from the GAMA convention (a convention for game retailers) in March:

quote:

The publisher seminars were fine, with a couple of interesting juxtapositions. On one hand, we had Reaper Miniatures stand in front of a room full of retailers, asking where the hell their product was in the distribution channels, and answering "Don't know." Everything is cool on our end. Don't know. "Don't know" comes off as ignorant or deceptive, so it wasn't surprising it kicked off a retailer discussion of whether Reaper was still right for game stores, or necessary, or even relevant with their direct to consumers Kickstarter model.

That's hardly the take away you want for your company after spending thousands of dollars going to a trade show. Poor messaging. Moreover, after telling us "don't know" why we can't get stuff through distribution, they handed out a catalog with about a dozen high value rack deals and told us not to order from them; go through distribution. Riiiiight.

That's coming from a guy I've personally talked to who loves Reaper's products and has a deep nostalgia for them going back decades, because of the way they've historically supported the D&D gaming hobby with individual minis for heroes, monsters, villains, villagers, etc.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 23, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I can see the argument that, even if the actual supply lines don't cross, it creates a conflict of interest of sorts for Reaper to be offering massive amounts of product directly to customers and that this in turn makes it smell especially bad when (if in fact) they can't be arsed to resupply the distributors in a timely fashion.

On the other hand, the kickstarters have a legitimate and probably overall beneficial niche to occupy overall. Were LGSes going to front Reaper a collective $4 million to tool up new Bones, let alone do it again? I'm guessing probably not.

I wish there was a way to somehow integrate Kickstarter with retailers. Something like you pledge to a Kickstarter "through" your LGS and they (and you) get a little added perk, so nobody felt cut out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah. And bear in mind the direct-to-consumer sales also cut out the distributor. So there's an unspoken implication that perhaps the supply issues are partially due to the distributors punishing Reaper by refusing to move product efficiently. Which is the sort of behavior major game distributors have been doing often and repeatedly for decades, by the way.

Middlemen do not like to be cut out of the loop. Reaper telling its angry retailers to please order through the distributor instead of direct is basically them pleading with their own customers to placate the 500lb gorilla so it will stop beating them up.

And yet distributors are still essential. Game stores can't possibly manage ordering product directly from a hundred different publishers every week, dealing with a hundred different shipments, tracking a hundred different invoices and payment terms, remitting payment to a hundred different payment processors, etc. etc. Only really big outfits like Games Workshop can get away with refusing to work with third party distributors, because a game store owner carrying GW products is probably filling at least 10% or as much as 24% of their racks with just GW products.

Reaper hasn't got that clout. They offer direct-order as a convenience for retailers and end-customers, but that represents ongoing antagonism of their distributors.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Terrible Opinions posted:

Where do you live? Even out in the middle of bumblefuck midwest my LGS is able to keep a healthy stock of Bones 1 and 2 miniatures. Are you sure your supplier isn't one of those wierdos who is blackballing Reaper for having a kickstarter in the first place?
In their home state of Texas, specifically Austin, the massive city capital that by all means should be one of their biggest focuses.

I knew it. That's god damned disgraceful.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

An Angry Bug posted:

In their home state of Texas, specifically Austin, the massive city capital that by all means should be one of their biggest focuses.

Given everything Leperflesh said I'm guessing it's the distributor for my area being less vindictive than the distributor for your area.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
That's a possibility too. I'll try to find out which distributor my LGS uses and see if they have a customer service contact.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I saw some pretty cool Wyrmgear 40k conversions, aside from him and that Gorgon are there any large mechanical-looking Bones kits that would make great Daemon Engines?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

moths posted:

I saw some pretty cool Wyrmgear 40k conversions, aside from him and that Gorgon are there any large mechanical-looking Bones kits that would make great Daemon Engines?

Not really. Mashaaf could work well as Nurgle-aligned Maulerfiend though (or as a giant chaos spawn).

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah. And bear in mind the direct-to-consumer sales also cut out the distributor. So there's an unspoken implication that perhaps the supply issues are partially due to the distributors punishing Reaper by refusing to move product efficiently. Which is the sort of behavior major game distributors have been doing often and repeatedly for decades, by the way.

Middlemen do not like to be cut out of the loop. Reaper telling its angry retailers to please order through the distributor instead of direct is basically them pleading with their own customers to placate the 500lb gorilla so it will stop beating them up.

And yet distributors are still essential. Game stores can't possibly manage ordering product directly from a hundred different publishers every week, dealing with a hundred different shipments, tracking a hundred different invoices and payment terms, remitting payment to a hundred different payment processors, etc. etc. Only really big outfits like Games Workshop can get away with refusing to work with third party distributors, because a game store owner carrying GW products is probably filling at least 10% or as much as 24% of their racks with just GW products.

Reaper hasn't got that clout. They offer direct-order as a convenience for retailers and end-customers, but that represents ongoing antagonism of their distributors.

Are gaming distributors as vertically stacked as comic distributors? Diamond was famous for causing the cancellations if comics they didnt like by refusing to carry them.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I know there have been some issues since the first Kickstarter. A local shop tried to order some Reaper minis, were told by the distributor that Reaper didn't do metal anymore. They ended up having to order from Reaper directly.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I'm sure this is pie-in-the-sky poo poo but just to hear it from someone knowledgeable about how business works: is there some reason why some of the bigger-by-elfgame-standards companies don't band together and form some sort of distribution co-op? Seems like having a distribution network with which you weren't in a literal adversarial relationship would pay off in the long run, in headache reduction if nothing else.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Some have, back in the 90's Wizards of the Coast had an unprecedented European distribution wing. It's the reason Hasbro bought them.

As it is now, it's just not economically feasible. Distribution companies require a large amount of inventory space, employees overhead and, to start, a large number of boots on the ground in order to get their name out there to stores. The modest amount of sales of the product don't lend themselves to the 'just in time' shipping methods that are the industry standard.

Most companies also seem to be run by old grogs that can get kind of adversarial with other companies. It's a small business world and just about everyone knows everyone else and all the drama that gets associated with that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Slimnoid posted:

Not really. Mashaaf could work well as Nurgle-aligned Maulerfiend though (or as a giant chaos spawn).

This is a shame. Mashaaf is pretty :krad: though.

If Reaper did a Kickstarter that was nothing but an IP-skirting poor man's Forgeworld and terrain, they would probably break records Kickstarter didn't know they had.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Ashcans posted:

I live to serve:

Gotta love dat rear end.

I will probably sit this one out.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Paolomania posted:

You say that now, but once a pile of poo poo gets added on to that, you'll be back.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

So far for what I've seen I'm interested in some of the larger figures, but I have enough small ones for my purposes after the first two Bones Kickstarters.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I'll probably do the exact same thing I did for the last one, which is to pick up the addons for a big gribbly or some cool themed stuff that catches my eye, whilst not giving a poo poo about the three dozen generic adventurer sculpts.

e: seriously, aren't adventurers the worst thing to be filling a package deal with, since the character minis you want are likely going to be pretty specific (i.e., a gnome wizard only does you any good if you have one) and not change all that often? If I'm going to buy anything in lots of two dozen, it's going to be generic dungeon mooks.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 25, 2015

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Protip: Just token pledge a buck if you're on the fence or temporarily strapped. I did that and was able to add on as much poo poo as I wanted at kickstarter prices like in April of this year right before the closed things out by paying the difference.

I mean, obviously if everyone did that it would screw the whole thing up, so you know, kickstarter prisoner's dilemma.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, probably just getting some stuff for myself, maybe a few extra sets of the main set to sell later. I took a bath on DDS and khanjira, since they posted estimated prices early on that were vastly different from the final (I think khanjira was estimated to be 80-90 and DDS was supposedly 90-120 early on). I made back about half of what I put in, I will probably make a decent profit after selling everything, but a lot of it's just languishing even after offering 25% off.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Paolomania posted:

It will be the same as last time. Skip the core set, grab some add-ons get out with 20-30 models for around $45, which isn't bad considering how big some of them are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I will fill several more sterlite containers with plastic crack.

• Locked thread