Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Zoness posted:

I mean against junk/jund which plays up to 4 thoughtseize 4 iok 4 duress and some number of liliana leyline can see some utility too. Especially in bogles.

Came here to post this, there's lots of stuff that targets player besides burn. Discard being the big thing but lovely mill strategies like mine are horribly gimped by Leyline.

Four Score posted:

My meta has suddenly become flooded with U/W Tron players using Gifts and Unburial Rites and Elesh Norn, help!?!

Any sort of graveyard hate, especially at instant speed like Tormod's Crypt since Rites is sorcery speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't get the disbelief over all 10 fetches being in Standard. Fetches aren't even particularly strong in Standard.

They're a bit better than usual right now since they help fix mana and fuel Delve but yeah usually they just kinda fix mana.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Cernunnos posted:

They're a bit better than usual right now since they help fix mana and fuel Delve but yeah usually they just kinda fix mana.

Certainly not as glorious as having Shocklands + Checklands at the same time. That's pretty much as good as Standard mana will ever be.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Four Score posted:

My meta has suddenly become flooded with U/W Tron players using Gifts and Unburial Rites and Elesh Norn, help!?!

hate-bears.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Certainly not as glorious as having Shocklands + Checklands at the same time. That's pretty much as good as Standard mana will ever be.

Vivid Lands + Filter Lands + Reflecting Pool + Tribal Lands + Trilands + Checklands :colbert:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I've switched to running 4 Relics in the side, now I just need to figure out how to gently caress with Grixis players. (I am the guy who only plays fish)

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Four Score posted:

Leyline of Sanctity from the sideboard stops gifts.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Leyline of Sanctity from the sideboard stops gifts.

:eyepop:

i always forget that interaction with Intuition as well. It... does not come up often

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Wezlar posted:

Vivid Lands + Filter Lands + Reflecting Pool + Tribal Lands + Trilands + Checklands :colbert:

Man I love 5 color control - plumeveil into cryptic command into hallowed burial into broodmate dragon :smaug:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

AgentSythe posted:

:eyepop:

i always forget that interaction with Intuition as well. It... does not come up often

If it's already in your board for anti-burn and whatnot, why not?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Four Score posted:

Join them :smug:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

I'm actually really close to finishing the deck, but :lol: at buying a Snapcaster at $85 right now. Other than that I just need three each of Gifts and Colonnade. I thought the deck was really badly positioned in a fast meta though?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't get the disbelief over all 10 fetches being in Standard. Fetches aren't even particularly strong in Standard.

People forget that they're not overpowered unless you can fetch something other than basics with them.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dr. Stab posted:

The second set of fetches would have to have been in dragons for the full set to be in standard for a full year.

Thank you for being pedantic over the 3 months I was off.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 16, 2015

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Zoness posted:

Man I love 5 color control - plumeveil into cryptic command into hallowed burial into broodmate dragon :smaug:

Do you have deck list for that? That sounds insanely fun to torment my friends withplay.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Thisuck posted:

Do you have deck list for that? That sounds insanely fun to torment my friends withplay.

The 5 color control list i think of for that standard is the one Gabriel Nassif infamously played:

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/ptkyo09/top8decks

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

If you must destroy them with their own tools G/R Tron seems like it should ruin U/W Tron's day

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I'd like to get my G/R Tron on since my main Modern deck is Affinity which is... not great right now. Just need them Karns (and a bunch of other stuff that's much cheaper). Working on a Legacy deck at the same time is draining my resources.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Zoness posted:

The 5 color control list i think of for that standard is the one Gabriel Nassif infamously played:

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/ptkyo09/top8decks

Ah yes, I remember seeing this, people got really mad in the comments section of youtube, in fact people always get angry over control decks. It's like they don't like not being able to play magic when they play magic or something.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Well, MM2015 leaves MTGO today, which means we're finally done with it.

Postmortem: it was actively bad draft format thanks to being mediocre to begin with and also because of Wayfarer's Bauble/Expedition Map/Alloy Myr making it so every draft was 2 or 3 guys looking to go domain and just draft everything decent regardless of archetype so you got screwed in packs 2 and 3 constantly.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Grimace posted:

That was lightning fast.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Rinkles posted:

That was lightning fast.

Thank gently caress, because I've been burning tickets left and right on this poo poo. Even phantom drafts are $10

although I'm in a 6-3-2-2 and just had this happen right as I went to post ITT

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
Having just finished modern Burn, is it worth dedicating sideboard slots to things like Dragon's Claw and Kor Firewalker if literally nobody else around here is playing the deck? Local area is Junk, Delver and a shitload of Infect and Tron.

Also, is Molten Rain good enough to put in against decks other than Tron/manland users for the sake of taking people off colours, or is it not worth the hassle?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

Postmortem: it was actively bad draft format thanks to being mediocre to begin with and also because of Wayfarer's Bauble/Expedition Map/Alloy Myr making it so every draft was 2 or 3 guys looking to go domain and just draft everything decent regardless of archetype so you got screwed in packs 2 and 3 constantly.

Weren't most of the other decks just trying to run off of staple commons and uncommons though? Like yeah, you wouldn't see the rare bomb that could otherwise go in your deck, but the domain drafter isn't randomly going to be picking your waxmane bakus or scatter the seeds, at least not until very late in the pack.

Unless they actually did do that, but then they're just being bad drafters and you can't blame the format.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The Wicked Wall posted:

Having just finished modern Burn, is it worth dedicating sideboard slots to things like Dragon's Claw and Kor Firewalker if literally nobody else around here is playing the deck? Local area is Junk, Delver and a shitload of Infect and Tron.

no, putting cards in your sideboard that don't do anything seems like a bad idea. i recommend that you play cards that are good against decks you see for example Junk, Delver, and a shitload of Infect and Tron

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

The Wicked Wall posted:

Also, is Molten Rain good enough to put in against decks other than Tron/manland users for the sake of taking people off colours, or is it not worth the hassle?

Deflecting Palm is hilarious against infect and is an acceptable board card against burn. But if burn isn't in your meta at all then no those options you listed aren't really worth it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

The Wicked Wall posted:

Sideboards are supposed to me meta-specific, so if your meta doesn't have any Burn then don't waste sideboard slots on anti-Burn tech. If you're that worried you can always put in cards that are good against Burn but also other decks (for example Leyline of Sanctity as discussed earlier, blocks burn but also stops you from being hit by discard spells or activated abilities like LOTV's -2. Yes I have seen decks run Leyline that couldn't actually cast it)

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
What do I put in my board against Merfolk and Jund in Modern?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Henron posted:

What do I put in my board against Merfolk?

Merfolk Assassin

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
Thanks all - the main confusion was whether there was enough overlap in effectiveness of those choices to make running them still worth it.

quote:

Choke and Boil have been pretty hilarious for me VS Merfolk.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Weren't most of the other decks just trying to run off of staple commons and uncommons though? Like yeah, you wouldn't see the rare bomb that could otherwise go in your deck, but the domain drafter isn't randomly going to be picking your waxmane bakus or scatter the seeds, at least not until very late in the pack.

Unless they actually did do that, but then they're just being bad drafters and you can't blame the format.

....no? It meant that half the table was always in your colors and would invariably take all of the Nameless Inversions, Hikari, Arrest, etc. Domain decks don't have to settle for anything. They take every Arrest, Pillory, Lightning Bolt, Inversion, Mirror Entity, etc. Anything that is generically good was good for their deck.

Henron posted:

...with what deck?

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 17, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

....no? It meant that half the table was always in your colors and would invariably take all of the Nameless Inversions, Hikari, Arrest, etc. Domain decks don't have to settle for anything. They take every Arrest, Pillory, Lightning Bolt, Inversion, Mirror Entity, etc. Anything that is generically good was good for their deck.

That's a good description of a good archetype in a good format.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

That's a good description of a good archetype in a good format.

Its a single archetype (that doesn't always turn out to be good) that often ruins the draft experience for everyone else.

I think it was a huge mistake to put Wayfarer's Bauble and bouncelands in the set. Make the five-color deck be an offshoot of green ramp, and not just "oh I'll snag all the goodstuff and play everything that comes to me." Even if that strategy isn't great, it's available, and screws up the draft environment. I much preferred the way that MM1 handled this - five-color domain was clearly a base green deck enabled by Kodama's Reach and Search for Tomorrow. You could splash off the landcyclers, but you couldn't go full-five color if you weren't heavy green).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 17, 2015

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Snacksmaniac posted:

Cycle of DTF lands.

I too want lands that are down to gently caress

Henron posted:

Boil, Choke, Blood Moon, Suppression Field?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

Its a single archetype (that doesn't always turn out to be good) that often ruins the draft experience for everyone else.

Even if this is true this isn't a concept that single handedly makes a format good or bad. Your ability to get the deck you want or the presence of a 5-color deck has no bearing on format quality.

On the other hand, MM15 does have packs that go fairly deep, reasonable if not good removal, a variety of viable draft strategies, and reasonable-to-answer bombs, which are the makings of a good format.

But I mean, that's all opinion, I'm sure there's people that like AVR and hate ROE out there.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If you mean Merfolk and Jund I don't think there's a single sideboard card that is good against both decks. Uh I guess maybe Abrupt Decay.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

I think it was a huge mistake to put Wayfarer's Bauble and bouncelands in the set. Make the five-color deck be an offshoot of green ramp, and not just "oh I'll snag all the goodstuff and play everything that comes to me." Even if that strategy isn't great, it's available, and screws up the draft environment. I much preferred the way that MM1 handled this - five-color domain was clearly a base green deck enabled by Kodama's Reach and Search for Tomorrow. You could splash off the landcyclers, but you couldn't go full-five color if you weren't heavy green).

Honestly domain was much harder to pull off in this format than the previous MM (due to the lack of Kodama's Reach). Have you considered that you might be results oriented from a few drafts gone bad?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

Honestly domain was much harder to pull off in this format than the previous MM (due to the lack of Kodama's Reach). Have you considered that you might be results oriented from a few drafts gone bad?

Have I considered that perhaps I am salty? Yes, that was a consideration.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

MM2 was an ok format but MM1 was significantly more fun to draft, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Look everyone knows the real payoff to domain in MM1 was your opponent receiving like, way fewer faerie tokens on an Oona activation.

• Locked thread