Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Velthice posted:

this is gonna become goons pissing in a well, only replace the well with playing wildstar

What's the character in your avatar from? It reminds me of some adventure game for the DS but I cant remember the name of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
I've made many a dumb choice in my life. Paying a dollar to try Wildstar was one of them.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I bought Payday 2 for $6 for my brother's birthday and got a Wildstar key to give to someone I don't like. Winning all round here.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Just when you thought Carbine couldn't possibly top their own stupidity/hubris they manage to do exactly that. :suspense:

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
I bought the pack for the Warframe boosters and for the SMITE hero but I'll give this stupid game a try just out of curiosity.

EDIT: I'm pretty confident that I hate this game already.

EDIT 2: I want to punch whoever came up with the level up notification in this game square in the nose.

El Generico fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 16, 2015

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy
:allears:

Figured I'd try this stupid awful thing since I got it with other stuff and of course the key is straight invalid.

Good.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I like how they added previews of the gear you can look forward to for each class in character creation, just like wow, only it all looks like rear end.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

El Generico posted:

EDIT: I'm pretty confident that I hate this game already.

EDIT 2: I want to punch whoever came up with the level up notification in this game square in the nose.

this is the proper response to wildstar, not "but at least I had fun talking to the one other sickbrained retard addicted to this game!!"

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
You're just not hardcore enough cupcake

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Thunderbro posted:

this is the proper response to wildstar, not "but at least I had fun talking to the one other sickbrained retard addicted to this game!!"

it reminded me of the torgue DLC for borderlands 2, but I actually liked that dlc because it was an actual good game with some of that kind of humor on top of it. wildstar can't get away with that kind of humor because the game underneath it sucks and it turns from being funny to being insulting.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
So this whole telegraph focused combat thing seems kinda pointless. I haven't had any incentivization to move around as I play other than occasionally walking out of a red zone. Otherwise I can just stand still and cast my abilities like any other MMO. Would I need to move around more while playing by end game or is it always this braindead?

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
The early stages just show the telegraphs - you can basically ignore them. As you progress they start becoming more mandatory to avoid though. Depending on your class and spec though, you will be moving alot or a little. The esper rarely moves in combat unless they are melee specced.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Eventually in group content the ground becomes a maze of overlapping telegraphs so you're constantly fleeing from one safe zone to the next

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

So this whole telegraph focused combat thing seems kinda pointless. I haven't had any incentivization to move around as I play other than occasionally walking out of a red zone. Otherwise I can just stand still and cast my abilities like any other MMO. Would I need to move around more while playing by end game or is it always this braindead?

The theory was that the telegraphs would slowly ramp up until dangerous while leveling. I never really gave a poo poo till you hit some of the "Wave" dailies at max level.

End game dungeons require you to basically pull off decent rotations while constantly dodging/interrupting poo poo. I legitimately enjoyed learning the bosses in dungeons, but the skinner box was broken (Crafted loot that you made 3 weeks ago was better) and the arbitrary time limit to get attuned was stupid so it all fell a little flat.

Specifically on Stormtalon's last boss (The titular stormtalon) if you stayed still for more than 3 seconds odds are you just wiped.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 16, 2015

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ContraceptiveCereal posted:

The early stages just show the telegraphs - you can basically ignore them. As you progress they start becoming more mandatory to avoid though. Depending on your class and spec though, you will be moving alot or a little. The esper rarely moves in combat unless they are melee specced.

The thing about Esper's hasn't been true since right after the first drop.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
So the combat does get a bit more interesting towards the end. The issue I'm running into at the moment is the finger gymnastics. I don't have a problem constantly moving my hand off WASD to pop cooldowns or cast spenders, but constantly mashing the main attack key (or holding it) while moving is a bit silly. I could bind 1 to my mouse thumb button I guess. :v:

What's the end game look like content wise? I assume dungeons/PvP are a no-go given the low population.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
why are people still unironically talking about playing this loving game?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

panda clue posted:

New cupcakes were made with humble bundle dollar buy-ins. They will learn.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

panda clue posted:

Curiosity mostly (I'm playing it right now). It's a bit more interesting to read about why the game is bad rather than just circlejerking. Wanna tell me why the game is poo poo besides what I already know?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Curiosity mostly (I'm playing it right now). It's a bit more interesting to read about why the game is bad rather than just circlejerking. Wanna tell me why the game is poo poo besides what I already know?

Carbine literally made everyone on the server recently go to the center of town or get kicked.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

there are 3-4 entire threads full of posts already to lay this out for you in great detail. carbine is a bad company that does dumb things constantly, with no sign of even slowing down on the horizon.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Maybe you'll run into one of those fun client side bugs they never fixed, the ones where the official response is to make a new character.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

So the combat does get a bit more interesting towards the end. The issue I'm running into at the moment is the finger gymnastics. I don't have a problem constantly moving my hand off WASD to pop cooldowns or cast spenders, but constantly mashing the main attack key (or holding it) while moving is a bit silly. I could bind 1 to my mouse thumb button I guess. :v:

You could give the Lockdown or YetAnotherCombatMod addons a try. They give you mouse look and actions bound to the Left/Right mouse buttons similar to Tera or Neverwinter. I finally settled on YetAnotherCombatMod but they both seem similar enough.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Carbine can't even do humble bundle keys right. The original description on the humble bundle website said that you could use the key on an existing account for a free 30 days, Carbine's twitter says that you could use the key on an existing account for a free 30 days but the system isn't working right, Carbine employees on their forums are saying that it was never intended that you be able to use the key to get 30 days and you should try to get a refund. :smaug:
goddamn they are brutally incompetent

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
How the gently caress does anyone look at the famous attunement procedure infographic and think oh yeah I really want to try this game :confused:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kelp Plankton posted:

it is a fun game and a lot of the problems from launch are better now. not entirely fixed. people like to poo poo on it but you will probably have a good time

the f2p conversion is supposed to come with fixing some of the problems it still has but we'll see. dont play esper though its slow and not fun. everything else is good.

lol nope

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Flesh Forge posted:

How the gently caress does anyone look at the famous attunement procedure infographic and think oh yeah I really want to try this game :confused:

they changed it so you can do the stuff in whatever order you want and it doesnt require finishing anything on gold anymore

its still kind of dumb but its not as bad

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

panda clue posted:

there are 3-4 entire threads full of posts already to lay this out for you in great detail. carbine is a bad company that does dumb things constantly, with no sign of even slowing down on the horizon.

Tbf, the majority of those other threads are Widestancer derails. You can't expect someone to read that poo poo.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
LOL GW 2 expansion gets shown off, nothing from carbine

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Kelp Plankton posted:

they changed it so you can do the stuff in whatever order you want and it doesnt require finishing anything on gold anymore

its still kind of dumb but its not as bad

"KIND OF"?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

does the attunement still randomly break and wildstar can't fix it on your character because they are incompetent as gently caress?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

12 step programs really do help you quit things it turns out

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Flesh Forge posted:

:vince:

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

:perfect:

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Tbf, the majority of those other threads are Widestancer derails. You can't expect someone to read that poo poo.

the succession of threads only happened because mentally ill lurkers kept coming out of the woodwork to go insane at anybody who said wildstar is bad, then whatever sickbrain op made that certain topic would get mad and lock it because people were insulting their precious mmo.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Wildstar standard edition and 30 days of gametime are in the current humble bundle, which means you can get it for a cent.

Way to make the inevitable upcoming F2P transition obvious, guys.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

The Shortest Path posted:

Wildstar standard edition and 30 days of gametime are in the current humble bundle, which means you can get it for a cent.

Well they announced it a month ago so...

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

The Shortest Path posted:

Carbine has stated that they never intended for there to be a free 30 day pass in said bundle and that you should contact HumbleBundle.com for a refund.

Yes, really. :suicide:

panda clue
May 23, 2014
carbine is literally subsidizing their failure with a charity

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
So it's been like a year and a half since I asked in the beta "why does this game run like absolute horseshit on a high end PC when it looks worse than WoW?"

Did they ever actually optimise the game like their kept claiming they would?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

So it's been like a year and a half since I asked in the beta "why does this game run like absolute horseshit on a high end PC when it looks worse than WoW?"

Did they ever actually optimise the game like their kept claiming they would?

Nope. I'm playing the 10 day please come back trial and it crashes now more than ever on a brand new computer. :v:

• Locked thread