Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Goddamn that new trailer. Is it friday yet? I love SCH's LB3, it's actually really cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Whizbang posted:

Didn't you hear all the true power of the echo stuff? The Warrior of Darkness is Minfillia.

The True Power of the Echo is the butt window.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Whizbang posted:

Didn't you hear all the true power of the echo stuff? The Warrior of Darkness is Minfillia.

True power of the Echo is the ability to get adventurers to come running from halfway across the continent to hear a message you could have conveyed by linkpearl.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

It's Alph who seems to have been changed completely, and that bums me out a little because Sam Riegel was really getting into the character in the later patches. Unless they're doing some really weird fakeout thing and that isn't Alph talking in the English version of the trailer.

If you're talking about that guy at 51s then I think that's Pipin Tarupin. Not everyone is displayed alongside their voices.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Whizbang posted:

Oh god it's gonna be this :cripes:

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

You know what, if it actually makes Minfilia interesting, I'm all for the Warrior of Darkness to be Minfilia.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MAIN SCENARIO WRITER
Chris Metzen

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Fister Roboto posted:

MAIN SCENARIO WRITER
Chris Metzen

Let me spoil the story of Heavensward: everyone is corrupted. Old gods did it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Inb4 Pipin Tarupin gets made into some kind of Popoto Jesus? (How could you not, with that glorious head of hair.)

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Intoluene posted:

You know what, if it actually makes Minfilia interesting, I'm all for the Warrior of Darkness to be Minfilia.

Maybe not just Minfilia, but all of the old Scions.

It'd be such an awful twist that I kind of want to see it happen now.

Zweihander01 posted:

If you're talking about that guy at 51s then I think that's Pipin Tarupin. Not everyone is displayed alongside their voices.

Comparison @~1:12:00:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tWeqpc720E

It sure sounds similar.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Intoluene posted:

It'd be an effective way to get the players to go at the Warrior of Darkness in a blind rage.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Is there a tldr video of the job story lines?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

It'd be extremely hard to take her seriously as any sort of threat at this point so I really hope that isn't the shocking plot twist they go with.

An Ascian-posessed Iceheart might work though. Here comes Dark Shiva Extreme.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Holyshoot posted:

Is there a tldr video of the job story lines?

Monk - you're running around with an archeologist and a monk of ala mihgo. Monk dude tries to unlock the 7th chakra by killing you. You win and get it yourself.

Dragoon - there is only supposed to be one azure dragoon a generation but for some reason a quitter's soul stone resonates for you. The other azure dragoon gets possessed by nidhogg in his rage against the cowardice of your boss.

Paladin - some zombie dude teaches you how to protect people.

Warrior - curious gorge is from a mountain village full of warriors and teaches you how to control your wrath to defeat enemies.

Bard - some other bard teaches you to sing or something. I don't remember.

White Mage - you're the embodiment of a dead white Mage and you have to help two others calm down an angry tree.

Scholar - tonberries were the original scholars but got turned into monsters. Help them remember who they were.

Summoner - get the power of primals before another guy does.

Black Mage - go put blood on voidzones and learn dark magic that has been sealed away for nearly destroying the world.

I haven't done ninja yet.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I haven't done ninja yet.

Ninja: You learn how to ninja from a team of them who came to Eorzea to hunt down a traitor. Turns out the traitor isn't actually a traitor nor the real bad guy. He's still kind of a tosser though.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Here are some dumb lore questions: Where are Carteneau and Ala Mhigo in relation to the areas we actually see in-game?

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Bard is basically: Help an old soldier (who was a Bard) recover from survivor's guilt, while unlocking the harmonious melodies of your soul.

Also here's hoping we don't go 5:2 on physical to magic dps. Come on magic bullets/arrows/fists!

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Rincewind posted:

Here are some dumb lore questions: Where are Carteneau and Ala Mhigo in relation to the areas we actually see in-game?

Carteneau is south and west of Mor Dhona, while Ala Mhigo is due east of Gridania.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Bertram Weatherby posted:

Ninja: You learn how to ninja from a team of them who came to Eorzea to hunt down a traitor. Turns out the traitor isn't actually a traitor nor the real bad guy. He's still kind of a tosser though.

I think you mean Karasu is loving amazing. And the best. And he better come back in 3.0. (Also all the ninja trainers name's mean something. Oboro is dim. As in stupid.:ssh:)

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

Ither posted:

Did Merlwyb's English voice get changed? I liked the old one :(

Sounds like the same actress but a completely different accent. Merl's gone from being a bit posh to something that can't quite decide if it's "a jolly 'oliday with Mary, innit squire" or a bit more piratey Bristol. Maybe the story will explain it. :iiam:

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Eimi posted:

I think you mean Karasu is loving amazing. And the best. And he better come back in 3.0. (Also all the ninja trainers name's mean something. Oboro is dim. As in stupid.:ssh:)

I loved Karasu, but he was a complete wanker. Also I'm fairly certain Oboro is named such because it's a classic "ninja-ish" name

Bertram Weatherby fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 17, 2015

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Thundarr posted:

SMN? Your LB is Megaflare. Go kill Bahamut yourself.

I would be fine with having to kill Bahamut for that LB if it weren't for the fact that a reasonable portion of the people who make T13 PFs on my server have something against SMN and lock it (and only it) out of the DPS slots for some reason.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Rincewind posted:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ActionZero posted:

I would be fine with having to kill Bahamut for that LB if it weren't for the fact that a reasonable portion of the people who make T13 PFs on my server have something against SMN and lock it (and only it) out of the DPS slots for some reason.

If the pf creator was a blm, they might just not want to compete for loot.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

cheetah7071 posted:

I thought that at first but it I've seen PFs made by people on any job and they'll block SMN but not BLM. If they just let any job setup fly they'll have all slots allow anything but SMN, and if they want to control the setup so it has a fixed number of melee and ranged they'll have a slot for BLM/BRD only. I guess some people just still have it in their heads that SMN is bad for final coil or something. Quite frustrating cause I can usually join on MNK instead but I'm definitely better at SMN and I nejoy it more. Can't be about loot as far as I can tell cause it's usually on greed lock loot rules.

edit: vvv It's usually PFs with standard stuff about being farming so I assume so.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 17, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

ActionZero posted:

I thought that at first but it I've seen PFs made by people on any job and they'll block SMN but not BLM. If they just let any job setup fly they'll have all slots allow anything but SMN, and if they want to control the setup so it has a fixed number of melee and ranged they'll have a slot for BLM/BRD only. I guess some people just still have it in their heads that SMN is bad for final coil or something.

Are these people who have downed Bahamut?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Butt Doritos wants to come back to FFXIV, I think. Having left shortly before Shiva, how screwed would I be in terms of getting to do Heavensward content?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Gotta do the 2.4 through 2.55 MSQ, but having left before Shiva that isn't too much content really.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Failboattootoot posted:

Gotta do the 2.4 through 2.55 MSQ, but having left before Shiva that isn't too much content really.

Be ready to have your butt in chair for a long stretch for the 2.5 and 2.55 end cutscenes though, yeesh.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Bertram Weatherby posted:

I loved Karasu, but he was a complete wanker. Also I'm fairly certain Oboro is named such because it's a classic "ninja-ish" name

Karasu is raven and Tsubame is swallow. It's a pretty intentional joke at his character.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Inb4 Pipin Tarupin gets made into some kind of Popoto Jesus? (How could you not, with that glorious head of hair.)

Those luscious locks. :swoon:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Eimi posted:

Karasu is raven and Tsubame is swallow. It's a pretty intentional joke at his character.

It does mean "dim" yes but not that kind of dim. A better translation would be "hazy".

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Eimi posted:

It's not that kind of "dim". It's more like "uncertain" or "unclear" such as the moon on a cloudy night.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kitfox88 posted:

Those luscious locks. :swoon:

I can't keep most potatoes straight despite having one as a character, which one is Pipin Tarupin? Was he Raubahn's adopted son with the dorky helmet or was that someone else?

(edit) Yep nevermind that's him, it's nice that I can google and get the gist of results even without being able to click past them due to work proxy :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 17, 2015

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Thanks!

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

nuru posted:

Are these people who have downed Bahamut?

It's probably some combination of the fact that summoners used to pretty trashy on long fights like t13, and that the general consensus seems to be that BLM is both easier than SMN to be "good enough" at, and better as a job in t13. High burst, no sustain issues, and personal survivibility cooldowns.

Summoners are also such a huge minority that discriminating against them is pretty easy. :shrug:

2 SPOOKY fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 17, 2015

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ActionZero posted:

It does mean "dim" yes but not that kind of dim. A better translation would be "hazy".

Well...bollocks. The other dim fit his character too so I thought it was a thing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The trailer still gives me hope that we get to team up with the 6 Million Gil Man and get some sweet vengeance. I'm ok with doing fetch quests for Cid, Biggs, and Wedge if it means making a magitek cyborg.

Ciaphas posted:

I'm glad my master plan of "stay away from DRG so you can take it on the main quest to 60 without burning out early" has worked. I'm genuinely chomping at the bit to play it again.

Maybe I'll take a couple more stabs at getting it some WoD drops before Friday...

(edit) Then again there's always DRK's teen-emo siren song to be getting on with first. drat. Makes me kind of wonder, though, how the population will split up when people start unlocking the new jobs.

Part of me wanted to take DRG to 50 for the dialog changes but I doubt it'd be worth it since they'll just be minor things between you, the dragoon, and maybe a dragon or two?

cheetah7071 posted:

If he wasn't a scrub, he'd have the dreadwyrm axe.

Only if it'd let him ditch Alphinaud for Alisaie since she actually gets poo poo done.

Thundarr posted:

It'd be extremely hard to take her seriously as any sort of threat at this point so I really hope that isn't the shocking plot twist they go with.

An Ascian-posessed Iceheart might work though. Here comes Dark Shiva Extreme.

3.1 patchnotes:
- added new relic weapon for you to grind out
- added new trial "Akh Afah Amphitheatre (Savage)"

cheetah7071 posted:

I've seen people on Excalibur bitch and moan about summoners and claim they're the worst DPS class. Ok sure they don't have party utility like BRD or raw damage (and party utility) like NIN, especially Japanese NIN players, but they still seem like they should be doing some top notch damage when played well and if you think the reason you just wiped is because you had a SMN and not literally any other DPS class then having a SMN wasn't the issue. But people are stupid.

Unless you're running CT1-3 since the limits on debuffs seems like it'd be really good at loving up SMN DPS when suddenly you can't apply any dots to a boss. Or killing FATEs like Gorgimera with the N.Than relic train since you have about 10 seconds to apply effects before the thing is at the limit.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

Well...bollocks. The other dim fit his character too so I thought it was a thing.

Yeah, translation is hard. Oboro isn't so much dull as he is single-minded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I can't keep most potatoes straight despite having one as a character, which one is Pipin Tarupin? Was he Raubahn's adopted son with the dorky helmet or was that someone else?

(edit) Yep nevermind that's him, it's nice that I can google and get the gist of results even without being able to click past them due to work proxy :v:

Yes. "Adopted" son.

• Locked thread