Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

The 5DS and 5DR are out next week:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/5ds.htm

quote:

The Canon EOS 5DS and 5DS R are the world's best digital SLRs, replacing the old 5D Mark III of 2012. The 5D Mk III was the world's best DSLR, and now these new 5DS are the world's best.

The Canon 5DS and 5DS R are also the world's highest-resolution DSLRs.

The 5DS and 5DS R are the same camera, with the slight exception that the "R" version "cancels" the effect of the anti-alias filter used in the normal 5DS and most other DSLRs to get slightly higher sharpness at the risk of moiré on very fine repeating patterns. At this extreme resolution, it is highly unlikely that you'll see any moiré since few lenses can resolve this well, and if the differences between Nikon's D800 and D800e are similar to the difference between the 5DS and 5DS R, there will be almost no difference in the images, but Canon an extra $200 for the R.

I'm referring to both the 5DS and 5DS R throughout this review when I write "5DS;" I'm trying to save ink and your eyeballs by not always having to write "5DS and 5DS R."

As the world's highest-resolution DSLR, the 5DS and 5DS R are also the world's best nature, portrait, casual studio and landscape cameras.

The only way to get higher technical quality is to pay as much as a new Mercedes for a clumsy medium-format camera, and even then it's not clear that it would be any better — while the 5DS and 5DS R are far smaller, lighter, faster and quieter. You can shoot anything, anywhere with the 5DS, while even if I gave you a $50,000 medium format system for free, you still wouldn't want to lug it around or deal with its slow speeds and balky prima-donna handling.

The 5DS takes the same LP-E6 battery and charger as my old 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III and other Canons. That's great; we don't need to go buy all new batteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
this is so half-correct it hurts

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Now KRock can make billboard-sized prints of his ugly kids.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Bubbacub posted:

Now KRock can make billboard-sized prints of his ugly kids.

Excuse me, but mr krock makes billboard size prints from 6mp cameras tyvm

Edit: I like how he tries to save ink on his website. That's mighty white of him

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 11, 2015

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Lol if he thinks a 5DR has comparable IQ to a Phase One.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

1st AD posted:

In Krock land, a T5i has comparable IQ to a 1Dx because "same megapickles" so this is not an outlandish claim for him to make

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

1st AD posted:

Well, when you add in lenses, the amount of detail may surpass some Phase One cameras. It'll be interesting to see the tests from DXOmark.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Got a shady 6D coming to me from an eBay grey market seller and a 40mm 2.8 ready for pickup when B&H opens :toot:

That's going to be like the only gear I can afford for a while though, I hope that 40 is as good an all rounder as it seems.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Hello from four or five years ago. I'm considering, uh, cross-grading, I guess, from a T2i to a 50D.

Not a 60D primarily due to cost, but also because I want the alloy body. The switch motivated by that, and by the extra control surfaces; full manual on rebels is annoying.

What flaws are there in my reasoning? I have a 20Dfor backup at the moment because I bought it for three beers, and I honestly like it a lot, but it's definitely an elderly platform.

Is there a different model I could be looking at? I mostly shoot while stumbling around in the woods, and my T2i has eaten too many trees and gone for too many swims, so I think every little bit might help.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
What's your budget? What lenses do you currently have?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Alloy body doesn't really matter at all. My 60D felt just as sturdy as my 5D3 and 7D2.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Bubbacub posted:

Alloy body doesn't really matter at all. My 60D felt just as sturdy as my 5D3 and 7D2.

When I was messing around with the different Canon models in the store, the one that weirdly felt the best to me was actually the 70D despite it having a completely plastic shell. I'm not exactly sure what it is about it but it just seemed to have the perfect weight and grip size, with the 6D being almost as good and the 5DIII being the least comfortable, despite the fact that I have big hands. Despite the materials they all felt super sturdy. The Nikons don't seem to have changed since my D50, they felt well built but weirdly clunky like they were designed for a slightly different species or some poo poo.

Honestly if the 70D had a full frame sensor it would be my perfect camera, I love it's ergonomics (except for the lovely wheel/dpad) and video/AF stuff, I just needed the high ISO performance of full frame more. Does it seem likely Canon will make an 80D or something with a full frame sensor or is that a crazy dream?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
My car's body is made of high quality plastics over a metal shell (just like the XXD series cameras) and I trust my children's lives to that. I guess I can trust my camera to that build also.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I like how the mag alloy bodies are cold to the touch

It reassures me that I am using some pro poo poo and arouses me slightly because of it

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

d0s posted:

Honestly if the 70D had a full frame sensor it would be my perfect camera, I love it's ergonomics (except for the lovely wheel/dpad) and video/AF stuff, I just needed the high ISO performance of full frame more. Does it seem likely Canon will make an 80D or something with a full frame sensor or is that a crazy dream?

The touchscreen on the 70D is way more useful than I expected it to be. I really wish they'd included it on the 7Dii.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

Seamonster posted:

It reassures me that I am using some pro poo poo and arouses me slightly because of it

Yes, this. 5D mk1!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Bubbacub posted:

The touchscreen on the 70D is way more useful than I expected it to be. I really wish they'd included it on the 7Dii.

Can you focus and take a photo in a single tap? I kinda liked that when I had an E-M5 even though I was always a "cameras don't need touchscreens :bahgawd:" guy. Was good to pull focus in video too.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

d0s posted:

Can you focus and take a photo in a single tap? I kinda liked that when I had an E-M5 even though I was always a "cameras don't need touchscreens :bahgawd:" guy. Was good to pull focus in video too.

You can

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Seamonster posted:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one.

Also your camera's weight is in direct proportion to your penis size, so alloys win again.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I don't think that's true, have you seen the kind of people who walk around with 600mm f/4 lenses?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Bubbacub posted:

I don't think that's true, have you seen the kind of people who walk around with 600mm f/4 lenses?

www.pbase.com/image/55071041

She probably does not have a very big penis

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

ArcMage posted:

Hello from four or five years ago. I'm considering, uh, cross-grading, I guess, from a T2i to a 50D.

Not a 60D primarily due to cost, but also because I want the alloy body. The switch motivated by that, and by the extra control surfaces; full manual on rebels is annoying.

What flaws are there in my reasoning? I have a 20Dfor backup at the moment because I bought it for three beers, and I honestly like it a lot, but it's definitely an elderly platform.

Is there a different model I could be looking at? I mostly shoot while stumbling around in the woods, and my T2i has eaten too many trees and gone for too many swims, so I think every little bit might help.

IIRC the only thing the 60D added was some extra ISO options at the high range that aren't worth using and the flippy screen, which is useful but not a killer. If you did want that I'd say the 70D would be a much better option for having a touchscreen and a better AF system.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

d0s posted:

Does it seem likely Canon will make an 80D or something with a full frame sensor or is that a crazy dream?

It's called a 6D Mk II :v:

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
This is the second time I've seen this weird purple strip appear at the bottom of my picture. What exactly is going on here? Is it an issue with a memory card or the camera sensor itself?

Shooting with a 5d Mark III.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Muttonchips posted:

This is the second time I've seen this weird purple strip appear at the bottom of my picture. What exactly is going on here? Is it an issue with a memory card or the camera sensor itself?

I've seen that once before from bad memory card, but don't take it as total gospel. Do you have another card to test it with?

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

TheQat posted:

I've seen that once before from bad memory card, but don't take it as total gospel. Do you have another card to test it with?

I sure do! I'm using the 32GB SD card which came with the camera- I'm going to switch to CF card soon.
I've only seen it twice so it's not a big issue. I'd just hate to see the issue come up. I'm just worried it's a
sign that the sensor is failing or something.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

Muttonchips posted:

Have you tried to redownload the original raw/jpg file from the Memory card? And when viewing the original photo on the camera's LCD, is that purple strip also visible?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

What's the best out of the cheapo knockoffs of the TC-80N3 remote?

e: By "best" I just mean build quality/least likely to fall apart or stop working

d0s fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 14, 2015

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

mrlego posted:

Have you tried to redownload the original raw/jpg file from the Memory card? And when viewing the original photo on the camera's LCD, is that purple strip also visible?

I have not. I already reformatted my card to see if that would help. If it happens again, I'll be sure to check. Thanks!

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Muttonchips posted:

I had a faulty rebel something or other camera a decade ago that would do that every other shot on different memory cards. It also increased in severity when I took pictures in quick succession. Never figured out what it was though. hope this helps

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

When i bought a 30D new it had a grey strip of pixels horizontally across the sensor. I didn't notice it until shooting at higher ISOs which would increase the grey's brightness.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Whirlwind Jones posted:

What's your budget? What lenses do you currently have?

Pretty miniscule. I have the 17-50, a Tamron 70-300, the 50/1.8, and the Sigma 30/1.4, and I sort of like the APS-C format.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Aw poo poo

they are friends

Is it normal for Canon batteries to come completely discharged, like not enough to even turn the camera on for five minutes, or is this just the shady camera store being shady? In the mirrorless world every camera I've ever gotten new has come with a nearly fully-charged battery.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I bought a never used 70D off Amazon last week to "replace" my 50D. I would love to have FF again but my lenses are all EF-S now days.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

d0s posted:

What's the best out of the cheapo knockoffs of the TC-80N3 remote?
I'm done with this guy if you want it! :haw:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Managed to reproduce the functionality of a TC-80N3! Sure maybe it's not as pretty....

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Since I survived the last year I decided to reward myself with the new 5Ds.

5D2 with a 32g card can get over 1000 raw images. 5Ds only 404. :stonk:

But that new camera smell :allears:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

geeves posted:

Just like burning money!

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

geeves posted:

Since I survived the last year I decided to reward myself with the new 5Ds.

5D2 with a 32g card can get over 1000 raw images. 5Ds only 404. :stonk:

I'm jealous, how do you like it so far? I'm definitely getting one at some point.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

timrenzi574 posted:

https://www.pbase.com/image/55071041

She probably does not have a very big penis

I love that the lens is all camoed out and she's rocking red sweat pants and a hot pink sweater. So overt, it's covert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
So is the in camera lens profile for the 50mm STM out yet or what?