Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

From the preview it looks like you can just never talk to the dog and never have it follow you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Deific Presence posted:

Skyrim was the worst. I just wanted to shoot the Jarls in their stupid faces. I didn't want to have to pick a side in the stupid civil war to do so.

What's weird about this is that you can't even use the console to turn off some NPC's immortality. Like the Jarl in whiterun or whatever? The command to make him non-essential just doesn't work and every mod I tried didn't work either. Bethesda has the power to make people unkillable.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SexyCommando posted:

So it looks like there's the possibility for vehicles in this one too. One of the clips was of the main character getting inside a vertibird, and although the scene immediately following that was him as just the gunner, maybe you can pilot it as well? Which means the framework is there for other vehicles like the Highwayman? Or a motorcycle with your companion in a comically-small sidecar?

If the land vehicle stuff is half-baked or non-existent I hope the Mad Max game is good because I need my fix.

lol they couldn't figure out how to make carriages for skyrim, no way they'll make road vehicles in Fallout.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Dog is Plot Essential, you cannot progress the Main Quest further unless you get your Dog

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.

Epic High Five posted:

From the preview it looks like you can just never talk to the dog and never have it follow you.
It's less of "I don't want a dog companion" and more of a realism (yeah, yeah, "LOL", I know) thing. There's a stronger emotional attachment to companions if you know they're mortal. Like it sucks if your dog dies in a big ambush by raiders, but that otherwise mundane fight just became a lot more memorable.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

SexyCommando posted:

I imagine this is going to be like Skyrim, where even relatively mundane characters are too "special" to die.

Because god-forbid someone misses out on a smidgen of content on their first of likely dozens of runs through the game.

Except everything shows most people play-through games just once, the people who rack up a dozen play-through are a rare exception even in games like Skyrim.

Fawkes is significantly less interesting to me now that he's just a dude, the FEV mutating people to the point where sexual characteristics disappear was a neat idea.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SunAndSpring posted:

So are they getting rid of Hardcore mode?
I thought that was like a very specific passion project of a couple Obsidian devs, I doubt anyone at Bethesda would have been interested in taking up the mantle and its probably for the best to leave it for mods than put in a half assed job of it.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Epic High Five posted:

You must gather your dog before venturing forth.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Forced backstory, forced voice acting, forced unkillable companions.... god damnit Beth it's alright to let players play your RPG like it's an RPG.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

frajaq posted:

Dog is Plot Essential, you cannot progress the Main Quest further unless you get your Dog

The dog is actually cybernetically implanted with your baby's brain

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I know that you want to know what happened to your wife and baby...but have you searched for a German Shepherd yet?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Dinosaur Gum
Can't believe it has do be a dog. What the gently caress is wrong with a herd of cats or maybe a goldfish with robot legs

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

SexyCommando posted:

It's less of "I don't want a dog companion" and more of a realism (yeah, yeah, "LOL", I know) thing. There's a stronger emotional attachment to companions if you know they're mortal. Like it sucks if your dog dies in a big ambush by raiders, but that otherwise mundane fight just became a lot more memorable.

Agreed but it also sucks if your dog just keeps dying in a difficult encounter over and over again and you have to keep loading your save.

Maybe they have should made it require a stimpak or something to revive the dog after combat

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The dog companion system is probably used for all companions and they're probably all unkillable. Isn't this how Skyrim was?

I don't know because I never willingly had a companion in Skyrim.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Azhais posted:

The dog is actually cybernetically implanted with your baby's brain

poo poo, no wonder that in the first trailer it went to check the baby bed and it was conveniently close to your destroyed home.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Minorkos posted:

Agreed but it also sucks if your dog just keeps dying in a difficult encounter over and over again and you have to keep loading your save.

Maybe they have should made it require a stimpak or something to revive the dog after combat

That's why you make it a toggle, like hardcore mode did for companions.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SirDan3k posted:

Except everything shows most people play-through games just once, the people who rack up a dozen play-through are a rare exception even in games like Skyrim.

Fawkes is significantly less interesting to me now that he's just a dude, the FEV mutating people to the point where sexual characteristics disappear was a neat idea.

All characteristics, really. Lily Bowen was a 75 year old grandmother when she was dipped and she looks nearly identical to the rest.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

The dog companion system is probably used for all companions and they're probably all unkillable. Isn't this how Skyrim was?

I don't know because I never willingly had a companion in Skyrim.

nope, there was a daedric quest that required killing a companion actually

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

gently caress. That.

"essential npcs", is it that hard to implement a toggle?

Hey companions in New Vegas were essential. Just sayin'

edit: in not-hardcode mode, anyway

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lord Lambeth posted:

Hey companions in New Vegas were essential. Just sayin'

You could turn that off with Hardcore Mode.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

lol they couldn't figure out how to make carriages for skyrim, no way they'll make road vehicles in Fallout.

Watch the vehicles just be a slightly altered horse, like vehicle mods in skyrim. You get off your motorcycle and it wanders away to graze, then starts rearing up and beating the nearest raider to death with its front wheel.

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.

Minorkos posted:

If it happens repeatedly then it's a :xcom: scenario and you just gotta accept fate and live with it.

Kurtofan posted:

You could turn that off with Hardcore Mode.
A single "hardcore mode" would be fine, but I really liked the way the Project Nevada mod worked. You could tune the game to your specific tastes with sliders for item scarcity, carry weight, etc.

SexyCommando fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 17, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Fintilgin posted:

It's how Fallout New Vegas was too unless you specifically set it to Hardcore Mode. Personally I don't see any big deal with unkillable companions, it's unkillable non-companion NPCs I have a problem with. Obsidian managed to pull it off, why can't Bethesda get their heads out of their asses and let us play a Dumb Murderguy who stumbles through the game to the ending by just killing everything?

If they actually implement the ability to kill literally everybody then I can forgive all their other missteps. The writing can still suck as long as I can massacre the one-dimensional characters and pick up a scrap of paper with directions to the next macguffin.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

I generally hate companions so if I can the dog is staying home.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Watch the vehicles just be a slightly altered horse, like vehicle mods in skyrim. You get off your motorcycle and it wanders away to graze, then starts rearing up and beating the nearest raider to death with its front wheel.

If only you could ride the weaponized, military-grade version of this

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 17, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm cool with companions if I don't have to worry about feeding them stimpacks/ammo/armor

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
This isn't surprising since Broken Steel added both a perk that made Dogmeat respawn and about 30,000 HP to his health pool. I once watched him solo two deathclaws by slowly whittling their health away, his own never dropping below half. They really, really wanted to make sure that he wouldn't die.

That said I don't give two shits about Dogmeat. I'm glad us gay console babies are getting mods, because the second a 'turn him into Rex' mod is available I will never turn it off.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Can you get mods on PS4?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Bethesda really needs to stop relying on essential NPCs as a crutch. If someone in a quest can die, write a new path around it rather than just making him invincible. I mean, what if I want to shoot him because he's a bad guy in my opinion? I remember being really frustrated in Skyrim by how that one racist guy in Windhelm was inexplicably unkillable, and it made me wonder why they can't accept that the player will sometimes gently caress up and kill a guy with a quest.

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Can you get mods on PS4?

Not yet but their plan is to. My guess is the ball is in Sony's court so its up to them to figure out how to.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

SunAndSpring posted:

Bethesda really needs to stop relying on essential NPCs as a crutch. If someone in a quest can die, write a new path around it rather than just making him invincible. I mean, what if I want to shoot him because he's a bad guy in my opinion? I remember being really frustrated in Skyrim by how that one racist guy in Windhelm was inexplicably unkillable, and it made me wonder why they can't accept that the player will sometimes gently caress up and kill a guy with a quest.

At some point, Bethesda decided that their terrible story was more important than the player's enjoyment.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

What's funny is that it doesn't even work that well when your game is a buggy mess. In fallout 3 I was at a point where I had to talk to a guy. Except he vanished. Just fell through a hole in reality and vanished. Nothing I could do to finish that quest ever. Or like if they walk in front of you when you're punching a raider? Now you've got an immortal angry man with infinite ammo after you and you can't calm them down. Before I knew what was up with essential NPCs I tried killing the doctor in rivet city only to have the rest of my playthrough plagued with an immortal terminator following me across the wasteland non-stop.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The more buildings you teardown, the more crap you turn into weapon mods and armor, the better your game will run.

That's funny. Kinda brilliant.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

SunAndSpring posted:

Unfortunately it's sort of a necessity if you want to set up an open world where random enemies can wander into a town. No one wants to be locked out of a quest just because some stupid radscorpion or whatever got in the town and killed someone important.

This goes away if they keep it being the same weird mess of cells, though.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

SunAndSpring posted:

If you kill what's his face in Windhelm, how is the game supposed to change the story? The other side wins the civil war? It keeps going? Dragons come out of nowhere and bring him back to life?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Merry Magpie posted:

At some point, Bethesda decided that their terrible story was more important than the player's enjoyment.

It was when they released the same game for 20 years and most people liked it and it made them a shitload of money. That was the moment.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Yaos posted:

If you kill what's his face in Windhelm, how is the game supposed to change the story? The other side wins the civil war? It keeps going? Dragons come out of nowhere and bring him back to life?

Well they can start with not writing stories that hinge entirely on specific characters being alive at the end. I know that's most stories out there, but in an interactive story it doesn't have to be that way. I mean look at Maniac Mansion, even though certain characters have certain talents all of them can get an ending no matter who dies. The ending just changes a little bit depending on how you beat it. It's the same with New Vegas, you can beat the main story even if everybody in the game (save for Yes Man) dies. You get an awful ending but it's still an ending.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Yaos posted:

If you killed plot important people in morrowind the game just kind of shrugged and let you gently caress yourself as deep into the ground as you could. If you wanted an unwinnable plot that was your doing. In skyrim I turned Ulfric and Tullius non-essential and murdered them and it was good. Skyrim no longer had a civil war because anyone who tried to fight mysteriously wound up murdered and all their pockets looted. Sometimes it's fun to tell the plot to go away because you're not having any of that.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Yaos posted:

He's supposed to be a possible target for the Windhelm serial killer. So, if the serial killer wants to kill him, it's ok, but if you want to kill him you better solve the loving murder before you can murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

SunAndSpring posted:

What's with the T-60B anyway? Looks like a rustier version of the T-45D.

It could be early Enclave tech or armor developed by the Institute, but I haven't seen any pictures of the T-45s so they could be shorter to the now really bulky Power Armor variants due to being the first of the power armors. Although its going to be sad if the Riot Gear from New Vegas doesn't turn up in this game. The way it mixed full body armor with duster coats was slick.

• Locked thread