Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

My guess is the first time you get it, it's like a mini-tutorial. during the course of the introduction, it breaks somehow, and you'll have to go find a way to repair it. I really hope it doesn't end up being some kind of dumb cooldown you use every 5 minutes or whatever. That doesn't really jive with the way these open-world style RPGs play.

It's going to follow the usual inverse difficulty curve of using a rare substance that you have to use monitor how you use in the start eventually you learn to live without using it until mid-late game where you have a near endless supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm fairly certain that we, as a society, have decided that Brotherhood of Steel never actually happened.

I actually never heard about it before you guys just started talking about it, I always thought the only fallout spin-off was the Tactics one

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

It's going to follow the usual inverse difficulty curve of using a rare substance that you have to use monitor how you use in the start eventually you learn to live without using it until mid-late game where you have a near endless supply.

Yeah, this seems like the most obvious thing. I remember in Fallout 3 previews they said stuff like "We aren't worried about giving you powerful weaponry early on because we can limit your use of it with ammo/weapon deterioration." This power armor thing seems to be another example of that.

frajaqs avatar is reminding me that I really like revolvers in video games and I hope there's a fun revolver to shoot in Fallout 4. Maybe you can put a comically long barrel on it, too

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

frajaq posted:

I actually never heard about it before you guys just started talking about it, I always thought the only fallout spin-off was the Tactics one

That's because it doesn't exist. Let this conversation be stricken from the record, forever.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

frajaq posted:

Imagine a mediocre Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance clone filled with advertisements for Bawls Energy Drinks and nu-metal music. You now know what Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel was like.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

Imagine a mediocre Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance clone filled with advertisements for Bawls Energy Drinks and nu-metal music. You now know what Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel was like.

Mediocre? Oh no no no no.

I liked the Dark Alliance games. BOS was straight up pure garbage.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo I had to look up a video of BoS, and wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDhhklxurr0

also a cool quote in the comments

quote:

i loved playing this bk in the day ''paying that slut so i could ride the ruby train again and again until oh poo poo i got crabs ''lol i dont remmber most of it only up to the end lvl when you have your arm bit off and your tossed down that hole into the vault area after fighting the super muties before blowing up the metro station also watching them take a piss is really funny in this game the end lvl is where you have to rescue the eldar or pally or something cant recall great game bk then

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
My god, that camera is nauseatingly close to the ground for a top-down game.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lotish posted:

My pacifist run will be letting my five super mutant companions with M2s mow everything down while I sardonically whine "No, stop, please. :what:"

Fawkes better be making an appearance in FO:4. He was literally the greatest character in FO:3

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Epic High Five posted:

Fawkes better be making an appearance in FO:4. He was literally the greatest character in FO:3

So great you forgot Fawkes was a she.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

My guess is the first time you get it, it's like a mini-tutorial. during the course of the introduction, it breaks somehow, and you'll have to go find a way to repair it. I really hope it doesn't end up being some kind of dumb cooldown you use every 5 minutes or whatever. That doesn't really jive with the way these open-world style RPGs play.

It' probably going to be like werewolves in skyrim.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

Fawkes was a dude named Shelton.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Minorkos posted:

frajaqs avatar is reminding me that I really like revolvers in video games and I hope there's a fun revolver to shoot in Fallout 4. Maybe you can put a comically long barrel on it, too

SirDan3k posted:

Hmmm? I leigt haven't been able to play FO:3 because it keeps crashing on me and also NV is more fun, so did this get retconned or something?

quote:

Fawkes was one of the original residents of Vault 87, and possibly went by the name of Shelton Delacroix, who was a Vault security officer.

edit - are you thinking of the other Super Mutant companion, whose backstory and associated quests are super goddamned depressing and I love it?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Contrary to a comment about Fawkes' gender made by his voice actor, lead designer Emil Pagliarulo has confirmed, "No, Fawkes was absolutely a male. This was a mistake. Wes gave an interview and he was mistaken. Trust me, Fawkes is and was male."

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
By activating the terminal by the door of Fawkes room in Vault 87, and using the 'Identify Specimen' function, you will find that the cell's inhabitant was called 'Specimen D164'. A different terminal in a room close to Fawkes' cell contains data on 5 specimens, stating that D164 was a female. However, Fawkes is not Specimen D164, as the terminal also states that all specimens were terminated.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Minorkos posted:

From the looks of it you can turn pistols into rifles by putting a rifle barrel and a stock onto it. The laser pistol is shown (apparently) upgrading into a "long pistol" (rifle barrel with pistol grip) and then a rifle (rifle barrel and stock) so I would guess that you might be able to put a rifle barrel on your revolver if you want to.

Malseth
Aug 18, 2008
Fun Shoe
have we seen ghouls yet in the videos so far?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I think some Feral Ghouls showed up yeah

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

VIOLENTERECTION posted:

Was one in a Redcoat uniform too in the art-preview.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I don't recall, but I did note that we fight something call "synths."

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Maybe Uncle Leo, that other friendly Super Mutant in Fallout 3 is your mandatory Super Mutant companion in Fallout 4?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

VIOLENTERECTION posted:

I want to say that the original pre-E3 preview showed brief footage of a group of very haggard looking "somethings" running after the player with the ghoul skeleton rigging. Of course that doesn't account for much...

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The combat montage showed a feral ghoul at one point. Too fast to really notice any detail, but I think it looked like the design in the supermarket from the original trailer.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Maybe Uncle Leo, that other friendly Super Mutant in Fallout 3 is your mandatory Super Mutant companion in Fallout 4?

I would much prefer the company of Francis, from Broken Hills. He would go well with your Confirmed Bachelor perk.

They're transplanting other random NPCs from across the games - may as well bring some more...

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I saw there was a double barrel shotgun at several points in the video. I wonder if I can customize it in game into the Big Big Boomer.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mr Cuddles posted:

It's going to be great because it already looks like a more polished version of new vegas. New vegas was good, why would they change the winning formula of a really successful video game? You nma types are hilarious to me. But it's ok because you don't have to buy it. haha wait a second of course you will

We should make a "Boycott Fallout 4 (We want non-cisnormative characters!)" group and see if it looks the same the week of release

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Lotish posted:

I saw there was a double barrel shotgun at several points in the video. I wonder if I can customize it in game into the Big Big Boomer.
There's a marked lack of a pump shotgun. rip

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
They really should release more info soon before the internet explodes. Also the DLC is probably Xbox timed exclusive right? :(

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

One mod to change the dog into a Boston Terrier, please.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Dogmeat is essential until he's brutally murdered by the big villain, who is actually your android baby

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.
So it looks like there's the possibility for vehicles in this one too. One of the clips was of the main character getting inside a vertibird, and although the scene immediately following that was him as just the gunner, maybe you can pilot it as well? Which means the framework is there for other vehicles like the Highwayman? Or a motorcycle with your companion in a comically-small sidecar?

If the land vehicle stuff is half-baked or non-existent I hope the Mad Max game is good because I need my fix.

SexyCommando fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 17, 2015

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

This, honestly, was a pretty easy thing to guess. Otherwise he'd be dead in 15 minutes.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

gently caress. That.

"essential npcs", is it that hard to implement a toggle?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So are they getting rid of Hardcore mode?

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

*Dogmeat bumps into an ancient shopping cart and is sent cartwheeling off into the heavens, never to be seen again*

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.

Kurtofan posted:

gently caress. That.

"essential npcs", is it that hard to implement a toggle?
I imagine this is going to be like Skyrim, where even relatively mundane characters are too "special" to die.

Because god-forbid someone misses out on a smidgen of content on their first of likely dozens of runs through the game.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Unless the dog is programmed to die at the final events of the game or something that's going to be the first mod on the market, changing it so he can be killed.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
Skyrim was the worst. I just wanted to shoot the Jarls in their stupid faces. I didn't want to have to pick a side in the stupid civil war to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Good, I'm a giant baby about animals dying so this is great, and it'll probably be modded out for those that want that.

• Locked thread