Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.
Yay botes :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sheep posted:

Is there any gameplay-related reason to go for American carriers over Japanese? It seems like being able to use two groups of fighters at once with the higher tier Japanese boats would be pretty powerful.

There isn't any gameplay reason to use either at the moment, both sets loving blow because battleship drivers whined until they got their way

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Et tu Dandy?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

NTRabbit posted:

There isn't any gameplay reason to use either at the moment, both sets loving blow because battleship drivers whined until they got their way

Just wait until Wargaming wants to introduce a new carrier line for a diff nation, hopefully they'll re-buff them to make them nicer for microtransaction players to spend gold on

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

demonR6 posted:

Et tu Dandy?

Just got in using the Humble code, it's fun so far!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Used the code, got my Murmansk. Is it me or is this ship just absolutely terrible? Decent ROF, but weird cannon layout, and can't really dodge very well.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Any tipa for playing the pubbie tiers or juat get out asap.. Is it like wot where tier 4 or 5 is where you can finally use some sort of tactics instead of people going all leeerrooooyyyyy Jenkins on it?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
It is people going Leeroy Jenkins all the way up except when some armchair admiral pipes up in chat with a terrible strategy that usually involves blobbing to one corner of the map where they never meet the enemy.

Stick to destroyers and cruisers if you are new to the game. They are more forgiving than battleships due to reload speed and mobility.

Skoots
Sep 6, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

If you cant kill a battleships in a carrier your an idiot.
Right now it seems like japs are better because they have are more flexible with their higher squad count. They also benefit more from the tier five captain skill.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
How are cruisers right now? Is there a good reason to play them in the higher tiers or are BB just king poo poo?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm having a blast, aside from my tendency to embody the aggressive spirit of the Japanese Navy. I've played like 12 games and only survived one of them.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

cheese posted:

How are cruisers right now? Is there a good reason to play them in the higher tiers or are BB just king poo poo?
High-tier cruisers wreck face as long as you learn early (tier 5 Japanese or tier 6 usn) that much like battleships, you need to be preparing your turrets to face where you want to shoot--at least a minute before you reach the location where you plan to actually start shooting. Once you get the hang of that, you'll find that 8-inch gun cruisers out-DPM battleships at almost every equivalent tier.

BBs are bad at actually fighting more than one target at a time because of reload speeds, slow turret traverse, the way targeting typically works in this game (unless you are some kind of ridiculous prodigy who can shoot accurately with turrets in different fixed vectors), and how badly pubs tunnelvision.

Meanwhile, you can take Japanese cruisers and lay down a wall of torpedoes ahead of time, hose down a boat rounding a corner, and watch a torpedo slam into your next target that you can finish off with your next salvo only a dozen seconds later. They've never been a bad ship class at all.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Good to know. IJN or US cruisers? Also, are they just going to fictional paper boat the Russian Navy or what?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Wargaming please continue to nerf carriers and every other ship that can shoot torpedoes because I cant be bothered to plan my battleships attack before an engagement or turn my ship in case of emergency and my only reaction to missing my precious 2 salvos per minute is to whine incessantly instead of figuring out what to do next to survive

battleships deserve to be the easiest class to both play and master because they are the kings of the battlesea and represent my burning steel soul and fascist or jingoist spirit

im bad at video games

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

cheese posted:

Good to know. IJN or US cruisers? Also, are they just going to fictional paper boat the Russian Navy or what?

I imagine. They weren't averse to filling the the German tech tree by raiding the dream journals of Nazi tank designers.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Wargaming please continue to nerf carriers and every other ship that can shoot torpedoes because I cant be bothered to plan my battleships attack before an engagement or turn my ship in case of emergency and my only reaction to missing my precious 2 salvos per minute is to whine incessantly instead of figuring out what to do next to survive

battleships deserve to be the easiest class to both play and master because they are the kings of the battlesea and represent my burning steel soul and fascist or jingoist spirit

im bad at video games

I tried suggesting to another goon driving battleships that he learn to turn into torpedoes, and plan his attacks beforehand, don't hide in a bunch of rocky islands where a DD can roll up and murder his poo poo, and he said I was full of poo poo.

The brown sea does not only exist among pubbies it seems.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Once I figured out how to play the basic cruiser im having a bit more fun.. cant eait to get that last 100 points I need for the destroyer.

Currently I go full speed and turn a shitload.. staying on one path is stupid anf makes you easy to get an aim fix on. One on one Im doing okay.. I need to stop getting lured or at least start checking my map to make sure I have backup.

The number of beginning pubbies that park n shoot is hilarious.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

cheese posted:

Both lines are good. US cruisers don't have torpedoes starting at tier 6 but defend against planes better and are generally considered to be harder to kill (e: relatively speaking. Just try not to get shot in a cruiser, period.). IJN cruisers do the multitasking thing, but are allergic to shells--start learning how to angle your hull armor early to avoid eating shots on your broadside.

and what the above poster said, RUSSIAN BIAS clearly means Russian napkin dreams but honestly yes.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 17, 2015

JCFalkenberg
Jul 7, 2008
Another beta access key: F93KD-7TUZX-M9S4M-S7MC3

I prefer US cruisers because I'm poo poo at aiming torps, but both lines seem pretty useful. That said, the US line has the St. Louis and the Cleveland which I'm re-grinding and never selling once OBT hits.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

I tried suggesting to another goon driving battleships that he learn to turn into torpedoes, and plan his attacks beforehand, don't hide in a bunch of rocky islands where a DD can roll up and murder his poo poo, and he said I was full of poo poo.

The brown sea does not only exist among pubbies it seems.

Most BB's don't seem to want to fight. They head for the corners and hope they don't get spotted. I've suggested that playing a destroyer would help them escape the battle faster but that didn't go down well for some reason.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Skoots posted:

If you cant kill a battleships in a carrier your an idiot.
Right now it seems like japs are better because they have are more flexible with their higher squad count. They also benefit more from the tier five captain skill.

They deliberately broke manual torpedo drops so that they don't work anymore, and the torpedo spread is so wide that 4 planes per Japanese squadron allows even battleships to dodge most torpedoes, while American carriers don't have enough torpedo bombers to constitute a strike.

Carriers have been nerfed into the sea, don't use them.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Holy poo poo. Just had the nearest death. 11485 damage taken of 11500 hp... Didn't do too shabby though. Took 2 ships and severely wounded another two but I was maybe half a second from dying to either fire or a BB (who I flooded and lit on fire) before we won.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

They deliberately broke manual torpedo drops so that they don't work anymore, and the torpedo spread is so wide that 4 planes per Japanese squadron allows even battleships to dodge most torpedoes, while American carriers don't have enough torpedo bombers to constitute a strike.

Carriers have been nerfed into the sea, don't use them.

Sorry you can't just wipe out a tier 10 battleship in 1 pass anymore.

There are some issues with carriers, but the higher tier carriers are anything but bad or useless.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
After being away for a while I started grinding US carrier couple of days ago. Currently using Langley with only 2 torp bomber squads :smith: Torp bombing is very easy and effective even with auto bombing tbh. It's just that planes are slow :argh:

JCFalkenberg posted:

I prefer US cruisers because I'm poo poo at aiming torps, but both lines seem pretty useful. That said, the US line has the St. Louis and the Cleveland which I'm re-grinding and never selling once OBT hits.
I feel Cleveland has more use than Atlanta, but then Atlanta is pretty good at close range brawl and can poo poo on DDs. That being said, it's not easy getting into range with Atlanta :smith:

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

High-tier cruisers wreck face as long as you learn early (tier 5 Japanese or tier 6 usn) that much like battleships, you need to be preparing your turrets to face where you want to shoot--at least a minute before you reach the location where you plan to actually start shooting. Once you get the hang of that, you'll find that 8-inch gun cruisers out-DPM battleships at almost every equivalent tier.

BBs are bad at actually fighting more than one target at a time because of reload speeds, slow turret traverse, the way targeting typically works in this game (unless you are some kind of ridiculous prodigy who can shoot accurately with turrets in different fixed vectors), and how badly pubs tunnelvision.

Meanwhile, you can take Japanese cruisers and lay down a wall of torpedoes ahead of time, hose down a boat rounding a corner, and watch a torpedo slam into your next target that you can finish off with your next salvo only a dozen seconds later. They've never been a bad ship class at all.
That, and those 8 inch guns can penetrate BB's citadel too. As for aim just check how long it takes for max speed cruiser parallel to you to reach your initial aim (don't shoot to check), then using that as reference adjust depending on relative vector, distance and target size/speed. Then it's just a matter of your shells not spreading like shotgun :v:

Regarde Aduck posted:

Most BB's don't seem to want to fight. They head for the corners and hope they don't get spotted. I've suggested that playing a destroyer would help them escape the battle faster but that didn't go down well for some reason.
It's probably because they don't want to get hit by BB/Cruiser (easier to dodge when at max range due to shell drop), or get wrecked by sneaky DDs laying smoke as they approach since you can't spot them even when at 1~3 km. tbh charging in with BB is either hit or miss, you either get surrounded by cruisers or DDs, you get everyone trying to run from you that it just becomes turkey shoot, or you get smaller ships running away while BBs turning broadside to shoot you (begging to get crit hit to citadel) while your bow is pointed at them.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 17, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I was playing with AntonioHandsome the other morning, and he was lamenting the ability of US cruisers to poo poo out DPS. I think that's a holdover from when the US didn't have BBs - they probably made US cruisers poo poo out more damage than they should so the US would have some edge. They've probably just forgotten to dial them back, or don't care and are waiting for OBT.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Aesis posted:

I feel Cleveland has more use than Atlanta, but then Atlanta is pretty good at close range brawl and can poo poo on DDs. That being said, it's not easy getting into range with Atlanta :smith:

Yeah I think that many pubbies have caught on to how nasty the Atlanta can be at close range, so it tends to be a high priority target. If I go in too early they'll happily switch targets and primary me, so I usually hang back a bit at the start. This also gives me a good chance to murder a squadron or two if the other carrier(s) try to head-shot a carrier or battleship on your team.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Burno posted:

Sorry you can't just wipe out a tier 10 battleship in 1 pass anymore.

There are some issues with carriers, but the higher tier carriers are anything but bad or useless.

I've only ever seen tier 10 battleships once when I was driving my New Mexico Fuso, but sure, let's make carriers unplayable because you're a terrible battleship driver at tier 10.

Meantime carriers are utterly worthless at tiers 4-7, and take 5-6 triple torpedo bomber strikes to sink a single battleship, and it's even worse trying to do it with American carriers and their dive bombers.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jun 17, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I was playing with AntonioHandsome the other morning, and he was lamenting the ability of US cruisers to poo poo out DPS. I think that's a holdover from when the US didn't have BBs - they probably made US cruisers poo poo out more damage than they should so the US would have some edge. They've probably just forgotten to dial them back, or don't care and are waiting for OBT.
Isn't that the whole point of US cruisers though

Like if they can't poo poo out damage why would you even play one over a JP cruiser

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Insert name here posted:

Isn't that the whole point of US cruisers though

Like if they can't poo poo out damage why would you even play one over a JP cruiser

Yeah, but I think they might have been boosted a bit too much initially to make up for the lack of the US having battleships. Now that they do, I'd imagine they'll get brought back more into line with Japanese cruisers.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, but I think they might have been boosted a bit too much initially to make up for the lack of the US having battleships. Now that they do, I'd imagine they'll get brought back more into line with Japanese cruisers.

A bit like the Hummel in tanks beta?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

NTRabbit posted:

I've only ever seen tier 10 battleships once when I was driving my New Mexico Fuso, but sure, let's make carriers unplayable because you're a terrible battleship driver at tier 10.

Meantime carriers are utterly worthless at tiers 4-7, and take 5-6 triple torpedo bomber strikes to sink a single battleship, and it's even worse trying to do it with American carriers and their dive bombers.
I've seen single Hakuryu (Tier 10 IJN carrier) wrecking my entire team because my team didn't have any carriers to begin with so all he did was send 3~5 torp bomber squads at one target and manual drop right beside each time. AA couldn't do poo poo because there were simply too many planes (think he used dive bomber as fodder as well), and nobody could dodge that poo poo because there was simply no time to react due to torps being manual dropped so close. Basically torps would appear, then you'd get hit after 1 second. People knew torps were coming even before they were released but there were nothing they could do.

Multiple torp squads are near-impossible to deal with unless you got multiple cruisers clustered up, but tbh adding minimum approach/arming range would have worked fine. Basically give the target some time to maneuver to minimize damage instead of helplessly watch torps coming at them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Aesis posted:

manual drop right beside each time.

Good news, you don't have to worry about that anymore

Aesis posted:

multiple cruisers clustered up

Team work in a team game, who'da thunk it.

On the other hand, rather than fixing the matchmaker so that only one side having carriers never happens, let's apply a nerf to the entire class that cripples the already bad ships at the lower tiers, gg wargaming.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 17, 2015

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

On the other hand, rather than fixing the matchmaker so that only one side having carriers never happens, let's apply a nerf to the entire class that cripples the already bad ships at the lower tiers, gg wargaming.

It's not necessarily good design to require one team to work together in order to counter one ship acting alone.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

If it takes multiple cruisers, a supposed counter to carrier planes, working together to keep a solo carrier from running roughshod over them (much less the rest of their team who aren't in said cluster of ships) I think there's a big problem.

It's also silly for a number of reasons to balance carriers around getting shut down by other carriers running a ton of fighters on the other team.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I love clustered ships when driving my Minekaze.
Even with torp bombers I suppose you just have to aim in the middle and release tops early.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Aesis posted:

I've seen single Hakuryu (Tier 10 IJN carrier) wrecking my entire team because my team didn't have any carriers to begin with so all he did was send 3~5 torp bomber squads at one target and manual drop right beside each time. AA couldn't do poo poo because there were simply too many planes (think he used dive bomber as fodder as well), and nobody could dodge that poo poo because there was simply no time to react due to torps being manual dropped so close. Basically torps would appear, then you'd get hit after 1 second. People knew torps were coming even before they were released but there were nothing they could do.

Multiple torp squads are near-impossible to deal with unless you got multiple cruisers clustered up, but tbh adding minimum approach/arming range would have worked fine. Basically give the target some time to maneuver to minimize damage instead of helplessly watch torps coming at them.
I am no fan of carriers, but this is like officialforums.txt from bad players. "No time to react due to torps being manual dropped so close" means the player was not paying attention during the bombers' approach. Point the ship's bow at the planes as soon as you see them. Most carriers will pick another target or be forced to do a crisscross attack where at least half of the torps will miss.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Is there any way to permanently enable the aiming information that is displayed when holding down ALT? I didn't see anything in settings but I may well be retarded and missed it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Warbadger posted:

If it takes multiple cruisers, a supposed counter to carrier planes, working together to keep a solo carrier from running roughshod over them (much less the rest of their team who aren't in said cluster of ships) I think there's a big problem.

If it takes more than the 2 cruisers and 1 battleship of a single division to break up an air strike with few, if any, hits, then you possibly need to revisit your tactics. A maxed New York has enough AA on its own to cause suppression and scatter the torpedo launches from a Hosho.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Sheep posted:

Is there any way to permanently enable the aiming information that is displayed when holding down ALT? I didn't see anything in settings but I may well be retarded and missed it.
A mod in one of the modpacks linked in the OP. Or there is a workaround. Hold down ALT then press numpad Enter then release ALT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

grrarg posted:

I am no fan of carriers, but this is like officialforums.txt from bad players. "No time to react due to torps being manual dropped so close" means the player was not paying attention during the bombers' approach. Point the ship's bow at the planes as soon as you see them. Most carriers will pick another target or be forced to do a crisscross attack where at least half of the torps will miss.
Good luck turning bow to multiple (minimum 3) bombers approaching from multiple directions :psyduck: I don't know why you think people are too dumb to turn their bows into torp bombers in advance, let alone assume torp squads will be stacked up tbh.

Also turning bow to torp bombers mean you're just making them approach you faster, which means less time to shoot down planes and less time for them to get into release position. And since there was no time to react once torpedoes were released manually so close to you, even criss cross attacks had no difficulty hitting almost all torps. And even when assuming at least half missed from 3 squads that's still minimum 6 torpedoes to account for (assuming your team managed to shoot down 1 squad fast, which is far too optimistic tbh), which will still wreck almost everything apart from maybe Tier 10 BB that got lucky.

NTRabbit posted:

If it takes more than the 2 cruisers and 1 battleship of a single division to break up an air strike with few, if any, hits, then you possibly need to revisit your tactics. A maxed New York has enough AA on its own to cause suppression and scatter the torpedo launches from a Hosho.
Had maxed NY/NM/CO and have maxed NC, in all cases AA was next to useless against multiple squads. Worked somewhat ok against single squad though :v:

Aesis fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 17, 2015