Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Another thing I think might be a bug. If you have a client state and convert it into a march, it still only gets interactions that a normal vassal gets instead of what a march gets (so no subsidizing armies or building forts).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Arzakon posted:

His main combo on the last one was using the first half of the Humanist tree to get +Religious Unity then flipping back and forth between 99.9999% and 100% by starting a colony (patched to no longer work). Then he would complete Achieve Religious Unity and then do Accumulate Money / Recover Manpower to recycle and get 25 adm/dip every few days. He did years of that off camera to keep enough power to core and stay ahead in tech. By the time he was flipping unity with a huge empire with the colony having a negligible effect the viewers built him a spreadsheet to make sure his calculation was correct. The early years are actually the best ones to watch as its actually combat. Later it was him with 50 vassals and negative dip streamrolling countries with the Deus Vult CB and taking provinces at no cost.

Donald Duck posted:

Plus the event for having vassals of a different religion giving him stab every minute so he could no CB/Trucebreak

Oh wow. I know it's designed to be an impossible achievement without abusing exploits but I didn't realize he needed to do it that hard. And yeah, thinking about it maybe I'll actually just watch the beginning, since last time I tried I didn't know enough about the game to really understand/appreciate what he was doing in terms of alliances/combat and just thought it was boring.

In a completely unrelated matter, I'm starting an Ayutthaya game for the Indochina achievement. Anyone have any suggestions/thoughts on the first idea or two to take? Ideas are probably the area where I'm least sure of what to do, especially in the beginning of a campaign. They're obviously situational and depend on the nation/surroundings, but I feel like there are a solid 5-6 options to take as your first idea and I'm never sure which one will actually be the most beneficial early on when I only have enough MP to get the first few bonuses. Anyone always take certain ideas 1st/2nd? General thoughts on idea usefulness?

I'm not planning on colonizing as Ayutthaya, will pretty much ignore naval warfare, and can wait on religious(I think?), so diplomacy jumps out as the first obvious choice. But do I want a better military instead? Or are those early mil points better spent leveling up tech since you get important stuff like actually unlocking cannons? Stupid reasonably balanced ideas, just give me one or two OP ones so I don't have to think and actually make decisions :argh:

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Eimi posted:

Especially now, how the gently caress do you core everything? :psyduck:
Since that Admin Efficiency thing from late admin tech affects core cost now too in addition to warscore costs, it lets you core stuff really cheaply later on. It's additive too, so that 50% + 25% from Admin Ideas + whatever from Ottoman ideas lets you core even the most developed province in the world for like 30-40 monarch points.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

VDay posted:

In a completely unrelated matter, I'm starting an Ayutthaya game for the Indochina achievement. Anyone have any suggestions/thoughts on the first idea or two to take? Ideas are probably the area where I'm least sure of what to do, especially in the beginning of a campaign. They're obviously situational and depend on the nation/surroundings, but I feel like there are a solid 5-6 options to take as your first idea and I'm never sure which one will actually be the most beneficial early on when I only have enough MP to get the first few bonuses. Anyone always take certain ideas 1st/2nd? General thoughts on idea usefulness?

I'm not planning on colonizing as Ayutthaya, will pretty much ignore naval warfare, and can wait on religious(I think?), so diplomacy jumps out as the first obvious choice. But do I want a better military instead? Or are those early mil points better spent leveling up tech since you get important stuff like actually unlocking cannons? Stupid reasonably balanced ideas, just give me one or two OP ones so I don't have to think and actually make decisions :argh:
The general consensus is that you should never take a Military idea as your first idea because the first 9 Military tech levels are so important. Outside of that you can do whatever you want. Colonizing is actually not a bad idea in SE Asia because there is a ton of money in the Phillipines and Indonesia. Diplomacy is not bad; Influence may be better if you want better vassals. Economic could be good because it is just really great right now; Admin is good because mercs are really useful right now and that coring cost discount is great.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

VDay posted:

I think Influence or Diplo is your best choice first due to needing to Diplo-annex people if you want your karma above -100. Exploration isn't much use since everything near by is tropical. Religious isn't needed unless you want to go into Malaysia.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Influence or diplo is almost always the best choice since the early diplo techs aren't important meaning you have plenty of diplo to waste. Or if you colonize, exploration.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Thanks guys, that all seems pretty reasonable. Will probably go with Influence first just to make it easier to feed stuff to my vassals.

Another random question: what determines whether or not you have military access from a neutral country during a war? I thought it was relations based but it seems like sometimes my allies can freely cross (without having proper military access) and sometimes they get stuck.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
600 admin points to core a province is incredibly stupid.

I get it that some EU devs get salty with WCs, but jesus.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Haha wow, I've never had a game go wrong so quickly, and a Muscovy game at that :cripes: I could salvage the situation, because I'm Muscovy, but it would take a while considering my alliance with Poland was broken after Lithuania got pretender rebels and actually overthrew the PU only to immediately rival me, Sweden declared independence without calling me in (somehow?) and got beaten back into submission, and then the Golden Horde, who vassalized all their neighbors except Kazan, declared on me. After I fought them off, Kazan declared on me too. Ingrates.

I only wanted that "form Russia" achievement. Clearly this is the game's way of telling me to play as the Golden Horde, eat Moskva and Novgorod, culture shift to Russian, and form Russia from that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

A Muscovy that allies herself with Poland? Preposterous.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Just finished my Granada run:

I tried it in the past but never got far, I think it got a lot easier now that Castile doesn't have cores on you. I did need a lot of restarts with the usual opening of vassalizing/annexing Tlemcen, backstabbing Morocco, etc till it worked out. But this time Castile was busy fighting other wars so I was able to conquer enough stuff to ally the Ottomans early, which made me look big enough to not be worth the effort. I doubt that would have happened if they still had cores there.

Also got super lucky since Aragon lost their PU over Naples, and then Castile lost their Iberian Wedding PU soon after getting it.

I still lost my Spanish provinces around 1620 when Castile attacked me while westernizing (I felt safe cause they had no claims but I embargoed and they started a trade war, whoops!), but I went exploration/expansive so I was already taking over central Africa and Brazil. I struggled with manpower for a very long time with all that worthless desert and no Quantity till my 3rd idea.

Eventually Britain liked me enough to ally me, I caught up in tech and France got super outraged at all my AE :spain:

Elman fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 17, 2015

junidog
Feb 17, 2004
Random gameplay idea: in addition to the regular core option, add a second option for a minicore that costs half as much, but locks autonomy to 75%. Basically opening up the option to treat normal, contiguous land as distant overseas. It's either a permanent choice and you can never change to a full core, or give the player the option of upgrading, but have it cost the regular full coring price, so you're essentially paying 150%.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

aeglus posted:

Speaking of The Ottomans, someone already completed a single tag WC with them for this patch: http://imgur.com/a/blUrq

Fucks sake, I just don't get how people do this. I'm bad at this game.

I'm guessing his national focus was admin, but what ideas did he take and in what order? Does he say in the thread I assume he made?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

VDay posted:

Thanks guys, that all seems pretty reasonable. Will probably go with Influence first just to make it easier to feed stuff to my vassals.

Another random question: what determines whether or not you have military access from a neutral country during a war? I thought it was relations based but it seems like sometimes my allies can freely cross (without having proper military access) and sometimes they get stuck.

Exploration is unequivocally the best choice for your first idea set as any nation with a coast that is within ~274 range units of a colonizable province. This is almost everyone outside of Europe. No other idea set gives you land without war, and same-continent colonies will be worth two conquered provinces early on due to their 0% autonomy.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Node posted:

I'm guessing his national focus was admin, but what ideas did he take and in what order? Does he say in the thread I assume he made?

The main trick was using a vassal to break the land connection to asia so he could get the distant overseas discount to coring stuff over there.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Node posted:

Here's the reddit thread with a mini novel:
https://www.reddit.com/r/eu4/comments/3a1ip1/the_world_on_a_stick_112_onetag_world_conquest/

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

The main trick was using a vassal to break the land connection to asia so he could get the distant overseas discount to coring stuff over there.

I still reckon the distant overseas costs should make it more expensive, or take much longer to core, not dirt cheap to core

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Jazerus posted:

Exploration is unequivocally the best choice for your first idea set as any nation with a coast that is within ~274 range units of a colonizable province. This is almost everyone outside of Europe. No other idea set gives you land without war, and same-continent colonies will be worth two conquered provinces early on due to their 0% autonomy.

Yeah, I totally disagree with that guy saying it's a bad choice. Maybe hold off until your second idea set to consolidate on the mainland for a bit; colonizing is expensive. But Indonesian trade in this game is absurdly lucrative, and you really want to get started early so you can lock down the Indian Ocean islands and South Africa to keep the Europeans out of it for a couple of centuries.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Just finished integrating France after the HYW. Oh man that felt good to do. Oddly enough, it was super easy to keep them in check and below 50% liberty desire after the first 10 years (first thing I did was enforce my culture on them, Paris has to be English). The only time after then that they jumped any higher than 30% (typically about 8% though, it only went to 30 when I was losing a war badly and my stacks needed to replenish) after that first 10 years was when I decided to force them into Protestantism.

It was actually oddly difficult for the first 50 years, even as England with a French bulldog in my corner, and Austria and Castille, both of whom were oddly happy with being my vassal. Immediately after enforcing the union pretty much half of Europe decided to coalition me, and I knew I wouldn't win so I sent 4 regiments into a Burgundian deathstack and then made peace, releasing Normandy and Wales.

Even now it actually still has some challenge in it, because I am maaassively behind on tech. I swear the game knows when you are on a roll, and kills your 5/4/6 heir, then your backup 3/5/6 heir, then your backup to the backup 4/4/5 heir and then your 3/3/4 monarch all in 20 years, and replaces it with a 1/2/0 regency council. And then you get a ruler with a staggering 1/1/3. As a Western tech nation I have never spent so long behind on tech, the only one I have even remotely kept up on is Dip, and just barely with that. I have 3 idea groups, but I have been so strapped for points that I only have the first, quantity, actually complete, with 3 of economic and 3 of religious each completed. Meanwhile, Brandenburg has 18 completed ideas and is ahead of me in all but dip. Alongside that, I have been really strapped for cash, even though I own every important centre of trade in the Channel. I really haven't been making any more before integrating France to afford anything more than 2 level one advisers and a single level 2 and still break even.

Oddly enough, no Burgundian inheritance in this run. This might be the first time it hasn't happened for me, and a nice change from my last run where it fired in the third month.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

No Burgundian Inheritance if France is a subject.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

In the two games I've done, it just never happens because there is no France. Which would be what Pitt said, but seriously France is pathetically weak this patch.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Baronjutter posted:

I'm really lazy with army management. I have set template built stacks and in war I will never split them up because then I'll have to deal with sorting them all out after the war. So I'll sit there sieging with my 28 stack one fort at a time even with no enemy resistance because the idea of splitting an army up gets me all OCD.

Now that manpower actually seems to matter maybe I should stop that? What are some good army strategies? I know nothing about actually min-maxing combat other than "don't attack into mountains" the rest is unpredictable wizardry to me.

Deploy them in conveniently modular template stacks. Pile them into a province if presented with resistance.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
e: oops im retarded

Lori fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 17, 2015

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Wrong thread Lori

Normally I don't like playing countries like France but getting the Big Blue Blob achievement seems like a fun challenge. Was thinking of going administrative for the core costs, but since they moved the first idea group from 4 to 5 it seems like I might just be better off spending all my admin I've got on cores?

Figured I'd take out England early. Put my army up in Scotland but Scotland didn't want to join the war against England so I allied Denmark and brought them in. Put my army in Orkney, they were exiled when the war started, but if you put your troops onto boats, move the boat into a sea zone and then bring the boats back into a province they'll be unexiled. The English army was actually smartly waiting for me in the highlands but I beat them anyways and wiped them over and over. Thinking about taking Scandinavia next since it's pretty much the poorest land in Europe and cheapest to core.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

The level of betrayal I felt when Paradox announced they were adding Chocobos to EUIV tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
anyone notice greece's new color? hoooo drat thats some good poo poo

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Can't wait to build a university :getin:

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 17, 2015

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

A conceptual question. Im Persia and I own basically all of the Persia and Basra nodes. My capitals in isfahan. Should I be collecting or transferring in Basra? Should my trade port be Basra or Persia?

Edit: oh picture above reminded me, is improving provinces base stats only in common sense?

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 17, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is currently the best country and time period to get used to the game mechanics with (ie like Ireland in CK2)?

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

gfanikf posted:

What is currently the best country and time period to get used to the game mechanics with (ie like Ireland in CK2)?

Castille is generally considered one of the easier countries to get started with. Not sure if that's changed with this patch though.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gfanikf posted:

Nothing happens to Portugal directly so you can do as many mistakes as you like.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Mac performance is waaaaay better since the last patch. :thumbsup: But nothing appears when I try to type a province name into the search box. Anyone else having this problem?

Also, I just annexed Aztec in my game and gained all of their vassals. I don't want these losers; is this supposed to happen? Can I just release them and conquer them?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

gfanikf posted:

Portugal's the simplest one- ally with Castile at the outset and go colonizing and conquering Africa/ the new world/ Asia while not really having to worry about Europe. any big European team tends to be good to learn with though- Britain especially since the new patch, but Castile and France are fairly straight forward too.

PrinceRandom posted:

A conceptual question. Im Persia and I own basically all of the Persia and Basra nodes. My capitals in isfahan. Should I be collecting or transferring in Basra? Should my trade port be Basra or Persia?

Edit: oh picture above reminded me, is improving provinces base stats only in common sense?

put your main trading port as far downstream as you can (where the arrows point). i think that's Persia in this case?

and yes

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

gfanikf posted:

I like Ottomans. You have a really good progression of people to beat up (Albania -> Byzantium -> Turkish Minors -> Mamluks) that'll get you comfortable with war, and when it's all over you're huge as gently caress and can do anything you want.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

gfanikf posted:

Nice the OP doesn't have anything for newbies at all.

Nobody plays on any start dates other than 1444. For starters here's a list of descending difficulties of the starter nations to play:
Portugal - Super easy. Ally Castile and you can do whatever you want. Bully North Africa (and fail??) sure why not. Colonize. Trade in Asia.
Castile - Easy. Unite Iberia including Portugal. If you skipped playing Portugal then you can try out colonizing and trading for the first time. If you already played Portugal then you can also try getting involved with european politics and european continental warfare for the first time.
Ottoman - Not as easy but still easy. Unlike Castile you have multiple fronts. You also got enough troops and provinces to go whereever you want. Learn about Aggressive Expansion. Learn about dealing with wrong culture wrong religion provinces. Expanding to Africa and Asia is the easy path. Expanding to Europe is the hard path.
England - Normal. Unite the british isles. Deal with France wanting her cores back. Deal with the war of roses. The difficulty of England is mainly in the first 50~100ish years, after you stabilize the game becomes easy like Castile. You can colonize, trade, throw your face deep into european stuff, whatever you want.
France - Hard. England and Burgundy will fight you sooner than later. Maybe Austia even has you as a rival (in that case just restart). You have multiple fronts but unlike Ottoman some of your neighbors are very hostile towards you. If you haven't tried fighting the HRE before you going to learn about fighting them here.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Is France really that hard since the patch? I get that's it's not the cakewalk it used to be but even if you lose the Burgundian and English wars catastrophically it's not like they can annex that much of your country at once.

and yeah wow I hadn't actually looked at the OP, I guess they decided the easiest way to keep the information up to date was by not including any information at all...

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks! I'll give Portugal a spin.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Koramei posted:

Is France really that hard since the patch? I get that's it's not the cakewalk it used to be but even if you lose the Burgundian and English wars catastrophically it's not like they can annex that much of your country at once.

and yeah wow I hadn't actually looked at the OP, I guess they decided the easiest way to keep the information up to date was by not including any information at all...

My France game has been pretty easy. I allied Castile and Austria out the gate and England/Burgundy never stood a chance. I got lucky and the inheritance never fired, so I was able to eat all of Burgundy and Austria still loves me. Italy leaving the HRE gives you a great area to expand to without having to worry about the Emperor or HRE coalitions.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Koramei posted:

France is super-variable depending on how alliances and wars shake out; if everyone dogpiles you then it'll be over 100 years before you can dig out of it, but if your neighbors are distracted and don't ally (or even better, rival each other) then Big Blue Blob action is on. It's probably wise to recommend new players don't start with them because if the dogpile scenario happens it will be ridiculously unfun for them and not teach very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Yes when I say France is difficult I meant it in the context of complete beginners getting their feet wet. France is not playable if Castile and Austria set you as their rival along with Aragon, England and Burgundy.

• Locked thread