Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Star Fox has bland graphics, looks slow as gently caress, and looks to have vast expanses of emptiness and like never more than two or three tiny enemy fighters on screen at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Chaltab posted:

Star Fox looks really... inconsistent. I mean you have that one level with the Landmaster and the giant worm monster and it looks fantastic, and then you have the level where Pigma shows up and it appears that the Arwing's thruster doesn't even cast any lighting on the ship.

I would sort of be shocked if Star Fox actually came out in 2015. The way it looks and the way people are reacting to it I wouldn't be surprised if they delay it to put more time into it.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I remember Rogue Squadron on N64 being slow but not on rails and semi full of enemies. If Star Fox is anything like that I will be happy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There were like never more than five enemies on screen.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
Oops, wrong thread.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Sounds like the levels in Mario Maker automatically sort how difficult they are based on how well people do when playing them. That's pretty cool.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't been watching the treehouse streams but I imagine StarFox being slow is because looking down at the gamepad to aim at a bad guy and crashing into a wall while you're looking at the gamepad isn't very fun at all. I also suspect the graphics not being great is because it's a Wii U and it's rendering two different gameplay images at 60fps each.

I don't trust the general gaming public to be a good judge on whether gyro controls are good or not because even after Zelda WWHD and Splatoon people still generally don't like them. On the other hand I do trust a game that Miyamoto (and Platinum) is personally working on to feel good to play.

Davinci fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 16, 2015

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I have an insanely hard time believing that the aiming in Star Fox is going to be any more different than Splatoon gyro controls and that the cockpit view on the gamepad is just an extra little detail if you want to look down at the gamepad.

Granted, I haven't watched the Treehouse, but I just don't see how everyone immediately assumes "the only way you can aim is by looking down at the gamepad". Also I would bet good money that, just like every other Nintendo game on the Wii U and 3DS, the gyro controls can be turned off if you like.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

The Giant Bomb guys are really bad at videogames so I'm not going to get worried just because they said it plays badly, chances are there's just some important and stupidly obvious game mechanic that they completely failed to notice like they do in half their videos

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Also, I think the E3 demos are standing, I think the gyro controls are a lot easier with the gamepad resting on your lap.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I would sort of be shocked if Star Fox actually came out in 2015. The way it looks and the way people are reacting to it I wouldn't be surprised if they delay it to put more time into it.

This is the exact same thing people said about 3D world, then 3 months later, everyone couldn't get off Nintendo's dick for how great it looked, so why don't we just let the gameplay minded people do that first.

And you mean to tell me, the people who would pan a street fighter game for not being "accessible" don't like the controls?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

9 player Runbow looks fun: http://e3.nintendo.com/

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think the problem with Starfox's graphics is less the fidelity and more the art direction. It seems very plastic-y with bland colour palettes. Nintendo's put out plenty of games on Wii and 3DS that look more appealing with much less horsepower.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I finally got to watch Nintendo's video. I want almost all of that stuff.

Eindyin
Mar 23, 2004

#1 Son
Starfox may have been my favourite game on the N64, and I think this one looks awesome. Except for that gyrocopter bit, but at least it's not full on foot.

Graphics look great too.

The real bummer was that amiibo party thing.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
On Twitch, there's guys from Nintendo explaining the thought process behind the Mario Maker levels they put together for the World Championship.

Game looks amazing.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

I have an insanely hard time believing that the aiming in Star Fox is going to be any more different than Splatoon gyro controls and that the cockpit view on the gamepad is just an extra little detail if you want to look down at the gamepad.

Granted, I haven't watched the Treehouse, but I just don't see how everyone immediately assumes "the only way you can aim is by looking down at the gamepad". Also I would bet good money that, just like every other Nintendo game on the Wii U and 3DS, the gyro controls can be turned off if you like.

I think it's been obliquely confirmed twice in the last year that gyro can be turned off, but even with it on, you can totally still aim the reticle while looking at the screen. The Gamepad just has a permanent cockpit view if you want to look/aim at a direction that's off-screen.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think the problem with Starfox's graphics is less the fidelity and more the art direction. It seems very plastic-y with bland colour palettes. Nintendo's put out plenty of games on Wii and 3DS that look more appealing with much less horsepower.

They mentioned that they want everything running at 60fps, which is clearly causing them issues.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
More things I want to know about Super Mario Maker:

Are the costumes just for "little mario", or can you get a costume mushroom and then a regular mushroom or fire flower and become Big Link/Fire Link etc.

Speaking of that, does every game era come with all of it's power ups? Can I get a SMW cape or a SMB3 Tanooki suit in SMB? I would think if they are in the game then the answer is yes, but I haven't seen them used in any demos so far.

One thing I have noticed is that while SMB3 does give you a running meter and P meter, it doesn't have the item box at the top of the screen for an item held in reserve. Wondering if this is intentional or if they just haven't put that in yet.

For downloadable levels, do you just browse/play one level at a time, or can you download/play entire campaigns that someone has created?

I know that you can supposedly change the art style at any time, but that's gotta only apply to levels you make yourself. They said that you have to beat a level in order to post it online. So if you make a level that can only be beat wall jumping, for example, then that level would only be playable online as NSMBU. But I'm guessing if you wanted to you can download the level and edit it to change the tileset if you want?

Honestly, Nintendo didn't blow me away today, and I'll probably pick up a PS4 before the end of the year, but I REALLY want me some Super Mario Maker.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I wanna know if the vitriol everywhere is still going to be around once E3 season is over and they just start putting out news about new Splatoon stuff every few days for the next two months? Like is this poo poo going to ruin that flow they got going?

Edit: Like at this point I think they've already mentally blocked even looking at their comments section on social media and stuff thanks to same people who wanted remakes of Hoenn and Majora's Mask and always complain about amiibo shortages in posts that aren't even about amiibo. They're always there like some sort of clockwork.

Viewtiful Jew fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 17, 2015

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Just found out there's a Mario Maker treehouse going on right now. To answer one of my own questions - you'll be able to download a user-created level and edit it however you want, but you won't be able to then re-upload it since you didn't originally create it. Also, grabbed a screengrab of this:

So the helicopter hat is definitely there. I don't see anything else like the cape, tanooki suit, raccoon tail or anything. However, we do know about the mechanic where if you shake an icon while you're dragging it on the screen it transforms into something else, so that fire flower may very well be the fire flower and the ice flower for example. Plus there's a whole row at the bottom that's not revealed yet.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh hey that's cool

The Nintendo World Championship Courses will be included with the retail release of Super Mario Maker.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Nintendo World Championship courses to be included into Super Mario Maker.

^^^^^^ :argh:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Not surprised, they probably would've been up for download anyway.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I think the Helicopter Mushroom becomes other powerups in other Mario styles. For example, the Super Leaf in Mario 3, the Feather in World, and the Costume Mushroom in Mario 1.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I hope there's gonna be some way to make a level in the style of DKC minecart levels. I'm sure you could have a platform just going really fast in one direction but it'd be hard to handle jumping with that I imagine

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The most important petition of our time.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

lol, people need to get laid.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That new XenobladeX trailer would be getting me pretty hype if it weren't for the across the board negative import impressions.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Oh nerds. :allears:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What a bunch of babies. People should be thankful it looks like a potentially fun game that's just not very Metroid like instead of Other M 2.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Cyron posted:

lol, people need to get laid.

Just wait until we get direct official confirmation Krystal is never coming back to Star Fox for some passionate fans of her to start sending cupcakes to NOA HQ.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
lol at "starfox looks bad", most big-budget games don't get finished art assets until shortly before launch. unless it's for a demo, then make the stuff you're showing off look pretty and lie about what the game currently looks like.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

people can just not buys games

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Starfox 0 looks fine.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Anime Curator posted:

But it's DISRESPECTFUL!!!

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Anime Curator posted:

uh, did you see nintendo walk on stage and poo poo in our mouths? i know i did. boycot amibbo.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Dieting Hippo posted:

uh, did you see nintendo walk on stage and poo poo in our mouths? i know i did. boycot amibbo.

what stage?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I don't get how starfox can look bad when both the SNES and N64 game had bare minimum details and in the case of the n64, stretched textures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Macaluso posted:

But it's DISRESPECTFUL!!!

• Locked thread