Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Yep, everything is plugged in. I replaced a bunch of hoses this weekend, re-tightened the intake to TB coupler and re-tightened the TB to SC. I'm assuming at this point the gasket in the SC failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Where's the best place to be in the LA/so-cal area for the 4th of july that doesn't require me to own american flag pants?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Yep, everything is plugged in. I replaced a bunch of hoses this weekend, re-tightened the intake to TB coupler and re-tightened the TB to SC. I'm assuming at this point the gasket in the SC failed.

I'm not so sure about that, because if it did your engine would be knocking by now. I would double check that all the cables are connected/connected to the right thing before worrying about a new gasket.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Powershift posted:

Where's the best place to be in the LA/so-cal area for the 4th of july that doesn't require me to own american flag pants?

The strand trail/ beach from Redondo beach and north into Hermosa is pretty good, but that might require said american flag pants plus a pastel polo with the collar flipped up. Where are you staying?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm not so sure about that, because if it did your engine would be knocking by now. I would double check that all the cables are connected/connected to the right thing before worrying about a new gasket.

Well I did get an R.E.P. yesterday. Had to limp it home. Unhooked the battery for 15 minutes and it went away. Just double checked the SC. Everything is plugged in and all the hoses are in the proper places.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Well I did get an R.E.P. yesterday. Had to limp it home. Unhooked the battery for 15 minutes and it went away. Just double checked the SC. Everything is plugged in and all the hoses are in the proper places.

weirddddd

at least gaskets are usually cheap :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

meatpimp posted:

That's curious. I had always wondered about SRAM groups, but have always ridden Shimano. I bought a nice Cervelo R3 a few weeks back with full 10-speed Red. I was fully unimpressed. It wasn't bad, at all, but it felt and sounded very mechanical. I just didn't see any driving point that would make a reason to switch from Shimano.

Double Tap was nice and very intuitive, though. And I liked the way that it reversed once you got to the end of the cassette.

SRAM sucks compared to Ultegra 11spd. I wouldnt say Dura-Ace is a compelling upgrade from there but it is silky and quieter but really, Ultegra 11speed as bang for buck cant be beaten.

I also have the now retired Ultegra 11 speed stuff up for sale :)

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Powershift posted:

East LA/Compton are your best bet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jamal posted:

The strand trail/ beach from Redondo beach and north into Hermosa is pretty good, but that might require said american flag pants plus a pastel polo with the collar flipped up. Where are you staying?

Anaheim, but i'll have a vehicle.

keykey posted:

East LA/Compton are your best bet.

Good idea, i'll wear my spooky ghost costume as well

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

too bad that's some :mediocre: Ska. 2tone is the best ska https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjKtQO3IPrk

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

Nice. Great when a company takes care of a problem. I had a sram shift lever snap off and then sent a new one no questions asked even though it was going on 5 years old and well out of warranty. Then recently they gave me a new set of brakes because my avid elixirs wouldn't hold a bleed.

Seems like 4-pots on a bicycle are a little overkill but I'm not going to complain:

Ah companies that aren't trek.
Broke my like 1 year old trek 520 when riding across the country. Bad weld (this was back when they made them in the US).
Trek made me wait almost a year for a new frame and then by the time I got thr new frame, they had changed the color (dark green to black. This matters because I had a sweet brooks racing green b17) and went from True Temper steel to generic crap.
loving trek, ruined my trip 4/5 of the way through and then hosed me on the back end.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
More frickin Toyota recalls today:

quote:

Based on recent information from Takata and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Toyota will recall approximately 1,365,000 additional 2003-2007 Corolla and Corolla Matrix; 2005-2006 Tundra; 2005-2007 Sequoia; 2003-2007 Lexus SC430 vehicles. This brings the total number of Toyota and Lexus vehicles covered by Takata recalls in the U.S. to approximately 2,915,000.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

More frickin Toyota recalls today:

Honda too.

http://jalopnik.com/1-39-million-of-the-most-common-hondas-ever-are-getting-1711630426

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
So that bri g the total up to about every jap vehicle manufactured in the last 10 years, right?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

SRAM sucks compared to Ultegra 11spd. I wouldnt say Dura-Ace is a compelling upgrade from there but it is silky and quieter but really, Ultegra 11speed as bang for buck cant be beaten.

I also have the now retired Ultegra 11 speed stuff up for sale :)

Seeing as how I just bought a set of Sram rival brifters for $162, I'll take that all day long over how expensive 11sp stuff is.

Rival has a design flaw in how the little shifter paddle rides on the shaft it rotates around. It's been whittled away so far that it is kinda weak there and fails, resulting in the shifter snapping off on the right side. Force and Red don't have this issue, but rival does.

I prefer rival to 105 (10sp) because the throws are so short and snappy on the right side. Shimano is fantastic for left side shifting though. I like my wife's 105 and I love my sram rival. I have dura ace on my TT bike, but honestly I ride that bike so infrequently that I really don't really know how it feels anymore. Bar end shifters make every shift feel like rear end, I guess. Adequate, I guess would describe it. I'd rather have that cool sram stuff that keeps the levers centered.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ilkhan posted:

So that bri g the total up to about every jap vehicle manufactured in the last 10 years, right?

oh look, it's everyone's grandpa who was alive during the war

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Some terrible car stuff is going down.....

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I bought an EF today

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Powershift posted:

Anaheim, but i'll have a vehicle.

Good idea, i'll wear my spooky ghost costume as well

Oh, well, everyone goes to the beach to watch fireworks and stuff, so from there Huntington beach would be your best option probably. Lots of bars/restaurants and stuff there Just be prepared to spend a long time finding somewhere to park, and walking a long way. Or figure out how to get there without driving.

Or if you stick around anaheim disneyland will probably put on a good fireworks show. You're also close to downtown fullerton which is a fun place.

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 17, 2015

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

This is pretty anti-AI, but over the weekend we picked up a replacement for my fiancé's 99 Camry. '13 CPO Elantra. For a commuter box, its actually pretty drat nice.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Currently brainstorming how to integrate Mad Max themes into this gif while still having it be t-rex sucking some dicks for your new avatar :keke:

Well, or somebodies, it's too funny to pass up.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Mat_Drinks posted:

Currently brainstorming how to integrate Mad Max themes into this gif while still having it be t-rex sucking some dicks for your new avatar :keke:

Nitro spewing dicks while on top of a supercharger in leather straps.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jamal posted:

Oh, well, everyone goes to the beach to watch fireworks and stuff, so from there Huntington beach would be your best option probably. Lots of bars/restaurants and stuff there Just be prepared to spend a long time finding somewhere to park, and walking a long way. Or figure out how to get there without driving.

Or if you stick around anaheim disneyland will probably put on a good fireworks show. You're also close to downtown fullerton which is a fun place.

Yeah, we're going for the parks and stuff so the hotel is in that area, but i was hoping for something a little more street festival type thing.

As for the terrible car stuff happenings, it has not gone according to plan. I was hoping to do as much as i could with chemicals so there would be less sanding, but hit a layer the stripper wouldn't cut through which i'm guessing was the original white the hood was at one point. there's probably 1/16th of an inch of paint on this fucker. still managed to do a test spot.....

yeeeeees

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Mat_Drinks posted:

Chrome plated dinos and dongs
Edit: chrome plated dongs with the Dino mouth having some chrome on it like it was huffing chrome paint.

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 17, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Mat_Drinks posted:

Yeah I can't figure one out either :(

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

ilkhan posted:

They haven't mentioned the Fit yet so maybe they used real airbags on it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

dancing dicksucking dino riding the doofwagon

:getin:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Finally ditching cable - sort of anyway. Time Warner has a much more affordable cable package than Verizon, no contracts, and cheaper CableCARD rentals.

Keeping my fiber internet, which is going to be painful, but overall I'm saving about $55-70/month, and only downgrading to 50/50 (from 75/75). First person I talked to at Verizon was downright rude, quoted the wrong prices, and said they don't do internet only (and kept saying dry loop - which is a DSL term, not a fiber term), they require that you have a phone line as well (bullshit even on a DSL line). Second person was downright awesome, waived some charges, and while she couldn't waive the ETF, she did manage to dig up some long-lost loyalty discount.

She did suggest that I could do a transfer of liability to someone else in the house to get the new customer pricing, but I'd still be stuck with the ETF, and they'd be stuck with a 2 year contract and a deposit.

The only money Time Warner wanted up front was the first month's service + equipment rental (which we're limiting to 2 cablecards for now - the living room TV will have to be stuck without a STB for a bit). No way in hell could I handle 5mbit upstream though (the highest TWC offers here).

The difference in cost will cover the ETF in less than 4 months.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Drove all the way to work today with no idle issues like yesterday. Gonna see how it acts after work. Gonna grab a TB gasket like STR and Kastein suggested and see if it fixes the boost leak. If not maybe it is the SC gasket..m

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

SouthsideSaint posted:

too bad that's some :mediocre: Ska. 2tone is the best ska https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjKtQO3IPrk

I live in the home of 2tone and I hate it. But not as much as I hate me some loving awful 3rd wave poo poo.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
In my quest to destroy my mpg even further I picked up a little treat for my explorer.

$50, and included two hella lights. Anyone want em?

Should go well with my mpg destroying windshield visor:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Drove all the way to work today with no idle issues like yesterday. Gonna see how it acts after work. Gonna grab a TB gasket like STR and Kastein suggested and see if it fixes the boost leak. If not maybe it is the SC gasket..m

Wait you still haven't fixed that gasket? Wasn't that like a month ago?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Dumb questions ahoy.

My dad just probably nuked another Ford, this time a 2003 4.0L SOHC (LOL 4 timing/balance chains, one on the back of the motor, it's like they're the Audi of the US) by being a dummy with it*. They're not sure they want to keep the thing, a local shop literally said take it somewhere else we don't want your money for that repair job because it looks like an absolute shitter of a job just R&Ring the engine, and my aunt saw a 2004 Envoy for sale for a reasonableish price locally. It's either an LL8 Atlas 4.2L I6 or an LM4 5.3L all-aluminum V8 (:swoon:) and some variety of 4L60e or something (assuming on the transmission.) Are there any tcase/chassis/diff common failures on these things, or are they reasonably solid?

It needs an AC condenser and a recharge but who cares that's easy.

* it ran like poo poo coming out of a tollbooth and he learned nothing from our Ranger engine swap disaster after he hammered on that one when it acted up, so he hammered on it till he got to the next exit. Pretty sure it jumped time and bent valves. Dammit dad, STOP NUKING YOUR ENGINES, THEY ARE NO FUN TO REPLACE.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

This skinny little lady has been showing up while I've been outside working on the cars/yard lately. Skinny, filthy, wants love. Unfortunately seems to be kind of sickly, wants food but seems to have a hard time eating and has little sores on its back. I'm thinking of calling a shelter because I don't have the financial capacity to send it to the vet myself.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

Dumb questions ahoy.

My dad just probably nuked another Ford, this time a 2003 4.0L SOHC (LOL 4 timing/balance chains, one on the back of the motor, it's like they're the Audi of the US) by being a dummy with it*. They're not sure they want to keep the thing, a local shop literally said take it somewhere else we don't want your money for that repair job because it looks like an absolute shitter of a job just R&Ring the engine, and my aunt saw a 2004 Envoy for sale for a reasonableish price locally. It's either an LL8 Atlas 4.2L I6 or an LM4 5.3L all-aluminum V8 (:swoon:) and some variety of 4L60e or something (assuming on the transmission.) Are there any tcase/chassis/diff common failures on these things, or are they reasonably solid?

It needs an AC condenser and a recharge but who cares that's easy.

* it ran like poo poo coming out of a tollbooth and he learned nothing from our Ranger engine swap disaster after he hammered on that one when it acted up, so he hammered on it till he got to the next exit. Pretty sure it jumped time and bent valves. Dammit dad, STOP NUKING YOUR ENGINES, THEY ARE NO FUN TO REPLACE.

Transmission - 4L60e - Its not terrible, its basic, stout, and should be fine behind either motor. The transfer case can poo poo itself, but its usually the electric shift motor that likes to die.

Engines - They are fine... I think the LM4 of that year came with cylinder deactivation to help with fuel. The 6 banger has an electronic/mechanical fan disaster that likes to poo poo itself for no reason. Evap leaks are common, but never cause a driving issue.

Truck itself - Rattly, not the best cabin ergonomics. They drive like a gangly teenager, always feel a little waddly in driving. Nothing that really shits itself.

They aren't terrible trucks. Just poo poo GM build quality.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Sounds about like the Ford but minus wannabe-Audi engine design. My vote is yes at this point, good to know my guess at a 4L60e was right. The explorer is nothing special ergo/driving wise either.

Evap and fuel level sender issues are the parts that I will dislike, I think.

My dad is probably going to hate on it and refuse to buy it because it's not e85 compatible, but I will make fun of him for buying flexfuel vehicles and literally never putting e85 in them until he buys it anyways.

e: Mighty Horse notes that the evap system is poo poo too, and SSS told me the fuel level sender and air ride are poo poo. Fuel level will suck, but the rest sound manageable, and I'd rather work on these things than their turdpile Fords for sure.

kastein fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 17, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My mom has had a 2002 Trailblazer EXT (4.2L / 4L65E) since it was new. Despite being oh-so-very-GM in many ways, she's had it longer than her previous three vehicles combined (2x Grand Voyagers and a Suburban) and it's had fewer problems than any one of them by a long shot.

Until the very end of the GMT360, GM decided to use a computer controlled clutch fan. It is every bit as stupid as it sounds and then some. The most common failure mode is that they basically lock up enough that the computer can't actually control it anymore, so even though it's not overheating it throws a CEL. Which in AZ, means you can't pass emissions. My mom went through two or three of these in quick succession, though the last one has held on for a few years at least. In hindsight it would've been cheaper to swap on a mechanical clutch and buy a HPTuners license just to disable that CEL.

It did eat something in the front suspension badly enough that when I drove it, I thought the power steering was going out. Nope, it was just binding really badly. :stonk:

It's definitely showing its age, but nothing worse than you'd expect from a 13-year-old truck.

e: beaten on the fan but IT IS JUST THAT loving DUMB. I actually like that 4.2L a decent bit, even though it has a stupid amount of weight to pull around in a LWB truck. The only problem is it really needs at least a fifth gear, if not a sixth.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

Sounds about like the Ford but minus wannabe-Audi engine design. My vote is yes at this point. The explorer is nothing special ergo/driving wise either.

Evap and fuel level sender issues are the parts that I will dislike, I think.

My dad is probably going to hate on it and refuse to buy it because it's not e85 compatible, but I will make fun of him for buying flexfuel vehicles and literally never putting e85 in them until he buys it anyways.

GM really does the best bang for the buck when it comes to engine/transmissions. My moms had a permanent small evap leak code. I changed all the hoses/clamps/fuel cap, still had issues. So I told her to drive it, and bring it by every so often and I would throw my code reader. Nothing but evap poo poo, so i told her to ignore the check engine light unless the MPGs turned to poo poo or it started flashing at her.

Oh, and the fuel economy is pretty mediocre. 16 is about the best you will ever get.

But that inline 6 moves like a god drat raped ape. the last incarnation had around 290 hp and 270 lbs of torque.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Is that the Explorer that to change a headlight bulb you need to take the wheel and arch liner off? Looked at one of those for a friend and was a bit :byodood: for a minute. Not even Jag is that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Boss has a what the gently caress ever with an Atlast 6. Before that he had an X5 that was nothing but issues, porsche cayan that was nothing but issues, and a merc SUV that had issues.

When he got the GM it started missing. Threw a coil at it and good to go!

You cant really go wrong with a GM driveline, it's everything else around it that's poo poo, unlike ford where the driveline is poo poo too.

• Locked thread